Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
And theres a lot to be said about running around with a shield shoving a pistol that does double your ARs damage in someones face.
I was just using the AR shield at first but theres a weird bug that keeps pulling the Pistol out instead.

But it turned out the pistol was way better for that anyway, or the shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I was able to solo a lvl 4 control point last night. Took forever and I had to switch skills a few times, but it was fun. Is the striker drone just useless on higher levels? I've found it shreds soloing on hard mode, but fighting heroic mobs they would just target and destroy it within 5 seconds every time it was up. Is that on purpose? Swapping to turret made the control point much more doable, but rip striker drone.

Did maintenance fix any of the bugged sets?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Shoren posted:

What I meant is that the other named enemies in the Wall Street and Tombs missions (Judge, Duchess, Ron, and the last shield dude) won't drop it. It only drops from Dragov or Parnell. That's their thing with the Y2 exotics, mission-related ones drop from the last boss of the faction mission and not from any random faction boss like Merciless or Lullaby did. For example, I'm pretty sure Tardigrade also only drops from the last boss of a True Sons mission (or at least I've only seen it from from Keates in Lincoln Memorial despite the other named enemies).

Aah like that, yeah that makes sense. Got 3x Tardigrade at this point and all from the last boss in their mission.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I really want a Bullet King, but I'm really not into the idea of spending just under an hour running solo through wall street for a 5% chance at a drop.

BTW, what gets you season exp? Is it just... anything that would get your exp? Or anything that would get you exp while working on a season objective? Also, similar question with regards to dark zone exp. I've noticed getting DZEXP can make your watch level go up. Does that stop at DZ level 50? Or do you keep getting exp then, just no new perks?

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Digital Osmosis posted:

I really want a Bullet King, but I'm really not into the idea of spending just under an hour running solo through wall street for a 5% chance at a drop.

BTW, what gets you season exp? Is it just... anything that would get your exp? Or anything that would get you exp while working on a season objective? Also, similar question with regards to dark zone exp. I've noticed getting DZEXP can make your watch level go up. Does that stop at DZ level 50? Or do you keep getting exp then, just no new perks?

Anything that grants you normal XP will give you season XP. Also PvE activities in the Dark Zone (landmarks, supply drops) give you normal XP now. You need to interact with players (and/or extract?) to get Dark Zone XP.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HiriseSoftware posted:

Anything that grants you normal XP will give you season XP. Also PvE activities in the Dark Zone (landmarks, supply drops) give you normal XP now. You need to interact with players (and/or extract?) to get Dark Zone XP.

DZ doesn't give seasonal XP even though it does give normal XP still.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Cyrano4747 posted:

DZ doesn't give seasonal XP even though it does give normal XP still.

I don't think that's intended, didn't they say that was a bug in the last SOTG?

They probably couldn't figure out a way to give you season gear rewards while in the DZ since everything there is contaminated now. Inventory full? Here's your reward on the ground, good luck extracting it!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So are there any good sustain options for a red build? I think that's what I dislike most about the gear update, now that I think about it. You had patience for some decent passive healing, the chem launcher could keep you topped off pretty well, etc. Now if you don't invest in skills all of your healing is poo poo excepting med kits that are limited and slow to use. I've found It's very possible to just take too much damage and run out of options to heal it up before you're swarmed. Armor on kill isn't great if your armor is low, stacking armor regen is meh at best, and skills don't feel adequate to even heal the base ~650k armor.

Are there any really good options?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hakarne posted:

So are there any good sustain options for a red build? I think that's what I dislike most about the gear update, now that I think about it. You had patience for some decent passive healing, the chem launcher could keep you topped off pretty well, etc. Now if you don't invest in skills all of your healing is poo poo excepting med kits that are limited and slow to use. I've found It's very possible to just take too much damage and run out of options to heal it up before you're swarmed. Armor on kill isn't great if your armor is low, stacking armor regen is meh at best, and skills don't feel adequate to even heal the base ~650k armor.

I am terrible at remembering the names of Talents, but I've been using Preservation? I think. It grants bonus armor on kill, and I often am running with my armor bar almost completely blue by constantly picking off the easy targets. Bonus of this is of course reducing the number of guns shooting at me too.

I don't think this will keep working as I move up in difficulties though, but I've been able to solo CP3's. My gear isn't even remotely optimized or even any sort of cohesive build right now, but it's definitely red-focused.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

as far as i can tell no good options, but i've been running with a healer drone and clutch and every once and a while i last long enough to get to another piece of cover! the other day a yellow assault guy flanked me and i actually managed to kill him before he took off my last bit of health!

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

The Locator posted:

I am terrible at remembering the names of Talents, but I've been using Preservation? I think. It grants bonus armor on kill, and I often am running with my armor bar almost completely blue by constantly picking off the easy targets. Bonus of this is of course reducing the number of guns shooting at me too.

I don't think this will keep working as I move up in difficulties though, but I've been able to solo CP3's. My gear isn't even remotely optimized or even any sort of cohesive build right now, but it's definitely red-focused.

Combine Preservation on your gun with Bloodsucker on your backpack and that should be pretty good when solo. Preservation repairs a percentage of armor on kill while Bloodsucker gives bonus armor on kill.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I know if you're part way through the event hunt thing it resets your progress if you change difficulty levels. Does it reset your progress in the broader thing if you've already finished the current one? I just killed neptune. If I change difficulty levels will it blank that for the larger hunt targeting Jupiter, with the poo poo that hasn't unlocked yet?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Shoren posted:

Combine Preservation on your gun with Bloodsucker on your backpack and that should be pretty good when solo. Preservation repairs a percentage of armor on kill while Bloodsucker gives bonus armor on kill.

Does Bloodsucker count you killing your own stuff too? Whenever I seeker mine I end up with a full blue armor bar even if I don't kill any enemies. Figured maybe the mines blowing up count as kills.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

bamhand posted:

Does Bloodsucker count you killing your own stuff too? Whenever I seeker mine I end up with a full blue armor bar even if I don't kill any enemies. Figured maybe the mines blowing up count as kills.

I believe they mentioned this at the last SotG, it's a bug that needs to be fixed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hakarne posted:

If “good options” means something that will let you facetank a lot of damage for a short time then there are no good options.

The best of them is a good roll of armor regen on every piece of armor. This gives you a pretty noticeable passive regen. That’s just shy of 30k armor per second of all the rolls are maxed. It is “meh” when you’re actively taking damage but if you can find a second to hide then it isn’t actually terrible.

The other option is rolling with “repair skills” attributes and brand bonuses. I think R&K has an “incoming repairs” bonus as a 1 piece.

Beyond that you just need to invest in some skill tiers. Running Technician gives you 1 free skill tier which isn’t a lot but it’s something.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

I know if you're part way through the event hunt thing it resets your progress if you change difficulty levels. Does it reset your progress in the broader thing if you've already finished the current one? I just killed neptune. If I change difficulty levels will it blank that for the larger hunt targeting Jupiter, with the poo poo that hasn't unlocked yet?

People have reset after finishing everything and while things shouldn’t reset after you finish it currently might. It could also just be displaying the progress as reset when it isn’t. I wouldn’t reset right now just to be safe.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Digital Osmosis posted:

Does a shield in a skill-damage build, like say with a turret for hardwired, actually make you more resilient? Like obviously it should but I wonder how much survivability comes from blue secondary attributes. So far I've really only hosed with red and yellow builds, and found the lowered time to kill on my red build usually makes me more survivable - although it's possible I just wasn't running a good yellow build (I tried to rebuild my Ongoing Directive build, stinger hives and assault drone.)

I threw together what I would call the artillery spotter build last night:
Bulwark shield & mortar turret
Liberty for shield sustain
4 piece hard wired w/ chest, acosta's go bag, china light wherever

It's hilariously fun, I put down my turret, toss a grenade for overcharge, pull up my shield and start running around calling in mortar strikes. More grenades when I want more overcharge and if my turret gets killed you can just find some quick cover and pop your shield to zero the turret cooldown. I would probably do more damage with a second skill instead of the shield but its just too much fun calling in close support and taking a bunch of aggro in groups. You do get completely shredded if you get flanked so gotta be careful but it's a really fun build.

Anyone else got some fun skill builds to try? I was hunting for Tardigrade last night but got the Acosta's instead so it's time to go with skills instead of a tank build, was going to try a sniper turret + foam/firestarter today

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Shoren posted:

Ah, it's Bloodsucker on my backpack that I was thinking of. I don't think I have Preservation if that's a gun skill, at least not currently, but who knows, my mish-mash of gear is constantly changing still.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

They said that after you kill Neptune your progress will be remembered and applied toward the greater manhunt, but it will still reset if you change difficulty. So if you kill Neptune then change difficulty and everything resets, don't worry because you won't have to do it all again to get at Jupiter; the game at least remembers that you killed Neptune once.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

What are the Neptune rewards? Just rng stuff?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Having run into the elite non-Lucy wardogs on the street for the first time they really need to increase the warning time for their spin attack. I haven’t done the raid for a while but it started nearly instantly when compared to the sound cue you get in the raid.

^burtle posted:

What are the Neptune rewards? Just rng stuff?

I would assume so, unless he drops a Named item the first time like the story bosses.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

I would assume so, unless he drops a Named item the first time like the story bosses.
he did, i forgot what it was

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I haven't changed world difficulty but instead am joining on randoms to complete the manhunt tasks. They're still technically being completed on my normal solo progression, even if we are doing a control point on challenging. This is letting me get the good gear from their difficulty but then I will have hard and challenging to go through afterwards for more loot.

Currently have three pieces of gear with perfect rolls and the recalibration library nearly completed to work towards a more cohesive set. I recommend this method.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I tried energized, the skill that gives you overcharge every time you use an armor pack (as long as you are at skill tier 6). I thought it would be amazing. I mean.. overcharge literally whenever you want?

But alas, it only lasts for ten seconds. Also you can’t use an armor kit unless you’ve actually sustained damage. So you can’t use a kit, proc it, then start a fight with overcharge going. I’ve had some luck waiting until I’m damaged, proc it with a kit, then throw cluster seekers and let out my drone but I am worried since it only lasts 10s means By the time the seekers actually find a target they are off overcharge! Seems pointless unless I’m missing something.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ate the difficulty reset bug after doing like 75% of the poo poo, so that was nice.

I reset from hard to hard with mods :shepface:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

victrix posted:

Ate the difficulty reset bug after doing like 75% of the poo poo, so that was nice.

I reset from hard to hard with mods :shepface:

I finished up the entire first part and killed the dude. Guess I'll do it all again on hard now since I didn't want to reset it in progress, but then realized when I finished that it's like 2 weeks before they allow me to go after the next person.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Blind Rasputin posted:

I tried energized, the skill that gives you overcharge every time you use an armor pack (as long as you are at skill tier 6). I thought it would be amazing. I mean.. overcharge literally whenever you want?

But alas, it only lasts for ten seconds. Also you can’t use an armor kit unless you’ve actually sustained damage. So you can’t use a kit, proc it, then start a fight with overcharge going. I’ve had some luck waiting until I’m damaged, proc it with a kit, then throw cluster seekers and let out my drone but I am worried since it only lasts 10s means By the time the seekers actually find a target they are off overcharge! Seems pointless unless I’m missing something.

A lot of things stay overcharged as long as you deploy them while it's active I'm pretty sure.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Finally :kiddo:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hey, sorry if this has been asked, how do I get to this question mark? It's in the New York map, just northeast of Haven. It's driving me nuts, there's gotta be something obvious I'm missing.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hakarne posted:

I'm using perfect clutch with a high crit build, 4 pieces red 2 blue and 58% crit chance with an infantry MG5 or pestilence. It works ok but it would be much better with a bullet King for the rate of fire. The heals are not enough by itself but when combined with a heal drone it works pretty well. I also really like the 200% heal from the firewall armor kits but I'll be trying Gunner when I unlock it so I can use the +50 magazine with slepnir.

With 1 million armor and the MG5 if I'm hitting 100% of my shots I'm regenning around 190k armor/second up to 20% and up to 100% for 8 seconds after a kill. Add the drone heals and unbreakable and I can tank a decent amount of damage for a short time.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 13, 2020

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

CJacobs posted:

Hey, sorry if this has been asked, how do I get to this question mark? It's in the New York map, just northeast of Haven. It's driving me nuts, there's gotta be something obvious I'm missing.

Am I smelling toast? What question mark? There’s not one in the image...

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

If you mean the ? that turned into “University” I think those are just landmarks or sights to see. I ran around a few and couldn’t find anything to do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Am I smelling toast? What question mark? There’s not one in the image...

The outlined circle is the question mark, I'm hovering over it in the pic so it shows the area instead.

Kibayasu posted:

If you mean the ? that turned into “University” I think those are just landmarks or sights to see. I ran around a few and couldn’t find anything to do.

Huh, alright. Kind of annoying that they look identical to the ones that are undiscovered events/SHD tech but once I reveal the whole map I guess it won't be a problem anymore.

edit: Yeah ok, once you actually physically go near them they stop being ?'s and start permanently saying what landmark they are.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm using perfect clutch with a high crit build, 4 pieces red 2 blue and 58% crit chance with an infantry MG5 or pestilence. It works ok but it would be much better with a bullet King for the rate of fire. The heals are not enough by itself but when combined with a heal drone it works pretty well. I also really like the 200% heal from the firewall armor kits but I'll be trying Gunner when I unlock it so I can use the +50 magazine with slepnir.

With 1 million armor and the MG5 if I'm hitting 100% of my shots I'm regenning around 190k armor/second up to 20% and up to 100% for 8 seconds after a kill. Add the drone heals and unbreakable and I can tank a decent amount of damage for a short time.

That sounds interesting, thanks.

Related, is the Tardigrade chest broken? I'll have my armor break with a fraction of my health left (the near one-shot) and the loving thing isn't giving me any armor. It worked like 1/3 of the time at best.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Hakarne posted:

That sounds interesting, thanks.

Related, is the Tardigrade chest broken? I'll have my armor break with a fraction of my health left (the near one-shot) and the loving thing isn't giving me any armor. It worked like 1/3 of the time at best.

Are you sure the talent wasn't on cooldown? I've had instances where my armor regen ticked as I'm losing armor and the game doesn't think I hit 0 armor so it won't proc until I take more damage. But if you're losing health too then it's either on cooldown or it's a bug (it's probably a bug).

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Yeah, funny enough I had just equipped it. The first time I ate the splash of a rocket which brought me down to a sliver of health. It didn't proc and I died to a stray bullet.

Idk, I've been kind of flailing around trying to enjoy this game more with different builds. D1 is probably one of my all-time favorite games and it feels like they're always so close to making this one even better but it always misses the mark somehow. You could create stupidly powerful builds before which felt great, but the gear system was just too complicated and it actually became a headache getting gear and having to figure out wtf you should keep. Then they simplified it with this revamp and it seems good on paper... but everything just feels crippled. I've put together builds that can solo CP4 checkpoints and plow through content, and they'll have some fun/powerful components like the Pestilence DoT and explode-y turret. But they all feel critically flawed and incomplete. Like I get there should be strengths and weaknesses in builds but the weaknesses are too drat weak and frustrating. Yeah you can make gun builds with a fairly low TTK, but you have to be a glass cannon. Extra armor is close to useless and with no skill levels your heals are pathetic. In truly tough fights I've just sat there unable to pop out and shoot because my armor is too low, I have no medkits, my skills are on CD or disabled, and the lovely passive regen you can get takes too long so you just get swarmed and die. It feels frustrating and frankly pathetic in a way that never occured in D1 or pre-update D2.

Same thing with the skill build. Yeah I can get an admittedly powerful mortar nuke, but the thing is so god drat janky to aim it becomes frustrating. You can easily blow yourself up with it if it catches a random tree branch, light pole, shoots at a bad angle, etc. It's also incredibly slow and moving targets (e.g. rushers) become extremely annoying. You can grab another, more agile offensive skill (that may or may not actually work) but then you run into the regen problem above. Or you can get great regen with a healing skill, but then your damage against mobile targets is trash, your gun will take forever to kill poo poo, and the entire jig is up when the AI decides to just casually walk up to you and gun you down. The same build I used to take a CP4 was also pathetically gunned down in the street on challenging because I ran into a patrol in an open area. They all fanned out in different directions and I literally could not lob mortars fast enough to hit them all. My heals were "good" but they just ignored my skills and walked around to kill me while I shot my limp-dicked gun in their face.

Sorry for the rant, I've just been logging off frustrated every night since I finished the actually-fun story missions and got to their new end game. And I hate to finally admit it after trying all different types of things, but it's just more frustrating than fun for now. I think I'll take a break until they take another shot at unfucking it.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tardigrade works 90% ish of the time, but bugs out sometimes yes.

Mine has procced many hundreds of times.

Edit: Patriot set alone heals me for 100k/sec on top of other things.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 13, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Hakarne posted:

Sorry for the rant, I've just been logging off frustrated every night since I finished the actually-fun story missions and got to their new end game. And I hate to finally admit it after trying all different types of things, but it's just more frustrating than fun for now. I think I'll take a break until they take another shot at unfucking it.

The good news is they're going to unfuck it. I'm not giving them credit for unfucking something they so thoroughly hosed then tweeted about how intentional the loving was, but hopefully the game will go back to being a fun loot shooter once they level up and optimize their build and it's been more than a week since release. If we're lucky a few patches later they forget all about how they want the game to now be based on the MMO triad for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Seditiar posted:

Tardigrade works 90% ish of the time, but bugs out sometimes yes.

Mine has procced many hundreds of times.

Edit: Patriot set alone heals me for 100k/sec on top of other things.
I wonder sometimes if it bugs out or if the shot that broke your armor also wiped all your health and you just drop. No idea how its meant to work so grain of salt.