Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

cryptoclastic posted:

Does anyone use Sonarr and the whole “use hardlinks instead of copy” feature? My computer is definitely just copying instead of hardlinking, and I have no idea why. I have the setting to yes but it’s not working. Anyone else ever have this problem?Where should I go to try and figure this out? Sonarr is version 2.whatever. Should I go for the v3 beta?

Make sure you aren't using two different mountpoints for the source/destination folders. Even if they're on the same actual drive, if they're different mountpoints Sonarr will do a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

astral posted:

Make sure you aren't using two different mountpoints for the source/destination folders. Even if they're on the same actual drive, if they're different mountpoints Sonarr will do a copy.

What exactly is a mountpoint? Right now I have downloads going to d:/down/tv and the completed TV folder in d:/tv. Is that the issue?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you using it in Windows? Does Windows even support true hardlinking?

Works perfectly on my Ubuntu/Docker server - everything downloads to a scratch SSD, then gets moved to a staging folder on the actual array, and hardlinked from there to the proper folder on said array.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Windows. I have no idea what it supports to be honest.

If there is no hardlinking then it sounds like I might need to learn how to use Ubuntu or Docker. I was thinking of that anyway recently because my computer is pretty bad. Which one would be better for an older machine? Any recommended resource for learning how to set everything up?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cryptoclastic posted:

Windows. I have no idea what it supports to be honest.

If there is no hardlinking then it sounds like I might need to learn how to use Ubuntu or Docker. I was thinking of that anyway recently because my computer is pretty bad. Which one would be better for an older machine? Any recommended resource for learning how to set everything up?

Start with a vm on your main computer. Get it all working there with some sample small video files. If your first ever foray into Linux is on your primary computer it could be a week or two before you're even up and running. There are guides for "getting started with Ubuntu Server" etc, follow one. Use VirtualBox.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Well since I have a fever and am going to be inside for a while I need some projects. I want to fix a few things on my Plex server, and any help is much appreciated.

A) 4K video stutters when using the built-in TV app. I've checked the audio and stuff but it appears to be an issue with transcoding I think. I'm willing to get a Chromecast Ultra if this is the easy fix.

B) Some of my video titles are all screwed up. One series has a couple of seasons that are off by 1 episode each, and there's like 50 episodes. Is there an easy way to get the library fixed?

C) My audio levels for everything is all over the place. The old TV I had in my bedroom worked voodoo magic and fixed the levels automatically, but my new one sucks donkey balls and cannot. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks, y'all. Stay safe out there.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 15, 2020

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

For a) this probably isn't it, but it was for me: if your tv has wifi and ethernet turn off the former as it was handling the signal, badly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Really weird but I just had an unknown user request my library and another in my account and authorized.

I reset password 2 months ago and use an 18 character auto generated unique password. So strange.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chubby Henparty posted:

For a) this probably isn't it, but it was for me: if your tv has wifi and ethernet turn off the former as it was handling the signal, badly.

For a lot of people, this is backwards. Lots of TV manus limit the Ethernet port to 100mbit, which isn’t fast enough for disc sources UHD rips.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I notice this when my family mistakenly uses Plex on the tv vs the shield. 4k wireless maxes out at 100-114 Mbps according to my Plex dashboard, and I get buffering

Using the shield direct with Ethernet with obviously higher bandwidth and less transcoding I lose the buffer/stittert

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Nocheez posted:

B) Some of my video titles are all screwed up. One series has a couple of seasons that are off by 1 episode each, and there's like 50 episodes. Is there an easy way to get the library fixed?

No simple options I know of within the media applications. You can script a rename, manually rename, or just delete the season and re-download (if you can confirm the new source material is correctly named). I gave up and did the latter. And even then you should check the source of metadata to ensure that it is correct otherwise it'll still be wrong.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Roundboy posted:

I notice this when my family mistakenly uses Plex on the tv vs the shield. 4k wireless maxes out at 100-114 Mbps according to my Plex dashboard, and I get buffering

Using the shield direct with Ethernet with obviously higher bandwidth and less transcoding I lose the buffer/stittert

If there is no compelling reason to have your TV on the internet I would disable it. The shield can likely do everything they want but way better. Way easier to have a forcing function and quick re-education than deal with complaints over time.

Violator
May 15, 2003

sellouts posted:

Really weird but I just had an unknown user request my library and another in my account and authorized.

I reset password 2 months ago and use an 18 character auto generated unique password. So strange.

Hmm. Don't like the sound of that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Chubby Henparty posted:

It has wifi and I'm not running a cable to it. I can stream 4K stuff from Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube and they look great, so maybe I do need a better Chromecast.

edit: or a Shield? That might simplify the whole thing as it has a Chromecast Ultra built-in and it should be able to run my server just fine.

Any ideas about the sound leveling/equalizing?

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 15, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nocheez posted:

It has wifi and I'm not running a cable to it. I can stream 4K stuff from Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube and they look great, so maybe I do need a better Chromecast.

edit: or a Shield? That might simplify the whole thing as it has a Chromecast Ultra built-in and it should be able to run my server just fine.

Netflix UHD 4k is something like 25mbps. Blu-rays peak over 100mbps. It's an apples to oranges comparison unless you're processing the files. It really depends on what you're watching here.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I really just want to watch Blade Runner 2049 in 4k. Plex says it's 13.9 Mbps.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Alright, I'm having a media matching issue again. I have two servers running in two different locations, and they have the same movie library. The newer server is pulling metadata upon successful matches, while the older one (my original PMS, which has been running for ~4 years) is not, even when files are manually matched to DB entries. This started recently (over the past month or so) and it's obviously not a [remote] DB issue, because again the second server is working normally. So what is preventing my original PMS from displaying metadata for new files? (This is effecting all new movie files at this point.)

Any suggestions on this? It still won't match any newly-added movie content at this point (TV shows are fine) except after spending the past couple weeks unmatching/matching, it's properly matched a few of the titles at random and pulled metadata as normal. Again, this has happened (to this server) at least once before, and doesn't seem to be an issue on a 2nd server with the same libraries.

Nocheez posted:

Well since I have a fever and am going to be inside for a while I need some projects. I want to fix a few things on my Plex server, and any help is much appreciated.

A) 4K video stutters when using the built-in TV app. I've checked the audio and stuff but it appears to be an issue with transcoding I think. I'm willing to get a Chromecast Ultra if this is the easy fix.

C) My audio levels for everything is all over the place. The old TV I had in my bedroom worked voodoo magic and fixed the levels automatically, but my new one sucks donkey balls and cannot. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks, y'all. Stay safe out there.

A - As mentioned before and in the recent past, streaming wirelessly takes a lot of bandwidth, especially when both the server & client are wireless. Also, transcoding UHD/4k content in particular takes a lot of processing power and an insufficient server will not keep up real-time

B - Are the files named incorrectly, or are they being matched incorrectly? Note that the TVDB has different episode orders, e.g. "official" vs. "aired" vs. "DVD" so it's possible they're named correctly in the first place but are being matched to the wrong DB. I guess either way you'd need to manually rename each file, and there are options for doing so.

C - Not sure, but the clients have an option for "Multi-channel audio boost" (when downmixing from multi-channel to stereo), maybe check that (and disable it)?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Atomizer posted:

Any suggestions on this? It still won't match any newly-added movie content at this point (TV shows are fine) except after spending the past couple weeks unmatching/matching, it's properly matched a few of the titles at random and pulled metadata as normal. Again, this has happened (to this server) at least once before, and doesn't seem to be an issue on a 2nd server with the same libraries.

A - As mentioned before and in the recent past, streaming wirelessly takes a lot of bandwidth, especially when both the server & client are wireless. Also, transcoding UHD/4k content in particular takes a lot of processing power and an insufficient server will not keep up real-time

B - Are the files named incorrectly, or are they being matched incorrectly? Note that the TVDB has different episode orders, e.g. "official" vs. "aired" vs. "DVD" so it's possible they're named correctly in the first place but are being matched to the wrong DB. I guess either way you'd need to manually rename each file, and there are options for doing so.

C - Not sure, but the clients have an option for "Multi-channel audio boost" (when downmixing from multi-channel to stereo), maybe check that (and disable it)?

A - I'm not sure but it's unlikely that my server is insufficient. I just tried streaming to my desktop and it's working fine with 4k files.

B - Who can say? It's mostly Adventure Time so I don't really care too much for fixing it, was just hoping someone had a silver bullet.

C- I'll give this a shot. It was set to disabled but I'll try boosting it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

If there is no compelling reason to have your TV on the internet I would disable it. The shield can likely do everything they want but way better. Way easier to have a forcing function and quick re-education than deal with complaints over time.

Yes I'm going that path. It was nice to get firmware updates and cast to the tv directly instead of to the tv via shield, and using the LG remote with it's built-in Netflix, etc button was convinced.

Netflix has awesome compression to send uhd 4k to the oked, aoni didn't mine using it via the native app.

That remote is pretty beat up now, and the new shield remotes are cool, Soni might just replace it then and there

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nocheez posted:

A - I'm not sure but it's unlikely that my server is insufficient. I just tried streaming to my desktop and it's working fine with 4k files.

A - Are you Direct Play'ing on your desktop AND your tv? Desktops can play basically anything direct if they have the raw cpu/gpu for it.

Roundboy posted:

Yes I'm going that path. It was nice to get firmware updates and cast to the tv directly instead of to the tv via shield, and using the LG remote with it's built-in Netflix, etc button was convinced.

Netflix has awesome compression to send uhd 4k to the oked, aoni didn't mine using it via the native app.

That remote is pretty beat up now, and the new shield remotes are cool, Soni might just replace it then and there

Speech to text was not kind to this post. There is a LOT of tuning that goes into getting video to work on embedded devices. Certain parameters can cause you to drop out of hardware rendering into software (aka failure) if you get them just slightly wrong. Netflix has likely a dozen+ renderings of each video, multiple per resolution certainly. They're made to render exactly on your TV. Often slightly higher bitrates for the same quality of video can be "cheaper" to render. Plex does its best, sometimes its best is comically wrong, but often it's right. You're trying to do this in real time, netflix does it all before they release the title to their platform.

See if you're transcoding it, if you are you might want to lookup what you need to do to not transcode. Run it through handbrake. It might be something as silly as the "level" inside the file is high despite not needing it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
There's a way to scan with Plex for files that are in your directories but not in Plex, but I can't seem to remember how to do it. Anyone help out?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

There's a way to scan with Plex for files that are in your directories but not in Plex, but I can't seem to remember how to do it. Anyone help out?

Click the vertical 3 dots on your library, scan library files.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's an option in WebTools to do this if you have it installed, it'll bring up everything that's a video file but not in plex for whatever reason. I find it brings up a lot of false positives (anything with accented characters in the filename always appear for me for some reason) but it is useful.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's an option in WebTools to do this if you have it installed, it'll bring up everything that's a video file but not in plex for whatever reason. I find it brings up a lot of false positives (anything with accented characters in the filename always appear for me for some reason) but it is useful.

Perfect, that's exactly what I was trying to remember. Still had it installed and everything.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Any of you folks know a method to batch handle metadata editing? I'm grabbing Youtube videos via youtube-dl and I'd love to get them tagged up so they are a bit more presentable than the output from ytdl. Most recommendations seem to be fooling around with mkv, but I'd be interested in hearing what else might be out there.

Edit - does the old Youtube Agent still work these days? That'd be the easiest way to do things.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 25, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.plex.tv/blog/okay-so-here-we-are/

Some updates, main thing of note is that Live TV won't need Plex Pass for the next 3 months. Bittersweet for me as I think that's when my Pass expires, but also I've been too lazy to get a proper antenna installed and my internal one isn't worth bothering with anyway so... d'oh.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, I’m in the process of migrating my Plex box to a new UnRaid server that I am setting up. I’m having a bit of an issue having other users within my household (all internal to the network, no remote access, but remote access isn’t disabled) see the new server.

I have 1 administrator user (myself) which requires a PIN (which is annoying, but okay) and four Managed Users. I can login from the web or AppleTV and see the new server just fine. When I login from one of the managed users, it can see one previous version of the server (the docker container got dumped, I had disassociated it with my Plex account, but it’s there for them but not on my account) but not the new one. It can see the old one just fine.

My goal is to transition all the media devices to the new server but don’t want to take the old one offline until it’s confirmed working for the family. They’re all on the same network so it’s not a visibility thing, especially since my user account is working as intended.

Where do I go down to troubleshoot this? It seems as if the Managed Users are not associated with the new server, but that doesn’t make sense to me how Plex is set up since I’m logged in to my Plex account with Plexpass.

Appreciate any direction here. Thanks!

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, I’m in the process of migrating my Plex box to a new UnRaid server that I am setting up. I’m having a bit of an issue having other users within my household (all internal to the network, no remote access, but remote access isn’t disabled) see the new server.

I have 1 administrator user (myself) which requires a PIN (which is annoying, but okay) and four Managed Users. I can login from the web or AppleTV and see the new server just fine. When I login from one of the managed users, it can see one previous version of the server (the docker container got dumped, I had disassociated it with my Plex account, but it’s there for them but not on my account) but not the new one. It can see the old one just fine.

My goal is to transition all the media devices to the new server but don’t want to take the old one offline until it’s confirmed working for the family. They’re all on the same network so it’s not a visibility thing, especially since my user account is working as intended.

Where do I go down to troubleshoot this? It seems as if the Managed Users are not associated with the new server, but that doesn’t make sense to me how Plex is set up since I’m logged in to my Plex account with Plexpass.

Appreciate any direction here. Thanks!

Do the managed users have access to the libraries? When you go to settings and then click on users and sharing and click one of the managed users names does it show up with the correct libraries that they are suppose to have shared?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Burden posted:

Do the managed users have access to the libraries? When you go to settings and then click on users and sharing and click one of the managed users names does it show up with the correct libraries that they are suppose to have shared?

That's it! I'm a dolt for not looking there. Thank you!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I finally obtained a Chromecast Ultra and I can play 4k videos now. Yay!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Warbird posted:

Any of you folks know a method to batch handle metadata editing? I'm grabbing Youtube videos via youtube-dl and I'd love to get them tagged up so they are a bit more presentable than the output from ytdl. Most recommendations seem to be fooling around with mkv, but I'd be interested in hearing what else might be out there.

Edit - does the old Youtube Agent still work these days? That'd be the easiest way to do things.
Does 'personal media shows' not do this in a better way for what you want?
Make a new library, set a folder for [webshow], then just name everything s01e01 etc.
You can then manually set show/series art etc.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Currently I’m just handling my watch later list which can be a bit eclectic so that’d result in a steady stream of upkeep as you’d be looking at a decent number of one offs. The YouTube agent is working well enough, but I’m vaguely irked that it isn’t reliably pulling in channel pictures.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nearly got my Plex and downloaders moved over to the new server perfectly but for some reason Sonarr isn’t deleting the old files after copying the new ones into the right libraries. They’re just sitting there in the completed folder. Radarr is successfully deleting the original and I cannot seem to trace where to turn the flag on to have them deleted. I have +delete turned on in sabNZBd for tv.

Any ideas? Thanks!

e: Ok, turns out that it was deleting some but not all, one whole show wouldn’t delete, but another did it perfectly. Then there was one movie from Radarr that didn’t work where he rest did.

It’s a mystery, but since it’s partially working, one I can manage.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 28, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
What is downloading your NZBs? If SABnzb make sure there's not a category there overriding the other settings.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bonzo posted:

What is downloading your NZBs? If SABnzb make sure there's not a category there overriding the other settings.

It is SAB, clean installation without any new categories added. Seems like it’s working now. I’m going to guess that there were additional files within the versions I downloaded and it just didn’t delete the whole thing.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

All right, finally migrating PLEX from my linux server which does literally nothing else to my project Windows machine. Wish me luck.

My Linux server not mounting my media share on boot anymore was the biggest factor, but power cost and heat are an issue, especially with summer coming up.

edit: apparently on Linux PLEX creates a shitton of symbolic links in the metadata folders? This looks like a huge hassle to deal with.

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 4, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

odiv posted:

All right, finally migrating PLEX from my linux server which does literally nothing else to my project Windows machine. Wish me luck.

My Linux server not mounting my media share on boot anymore was the biggest factor, but power cost and heat are an issue, especially with summer coming up.

edit: apparently on Linux PLEX creates a shitton of symbolic links in the metadata folders? This looks like a huge hassle to deal with.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you can copy the files form the symbolic links and dump the actual files out to a folder.
https://superuser.com/questions/216919/how-to-copy-symlinks-to-target-as-normal-folders

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I think I might just see if my Windows PLEX will deal with it instead of me copying the same file multiple times. I'm guessing these symbolic links were created by PLEX to avoid having multiple copies of the same artwork? It's literally just a ton of links to other folders within the PLEX metadata folder.

We'll see what happens when it's done copying I guess.

edit: Yeah, this looks a bit hosed. No I don't want you to discover poo poo. Why are you trying to do the initial setup? Time to delete and try again I guess.

odiv fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 4, 2020

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The problem is that the symbolic links point to other areas within the PLEX data folders, for some weird reason.

Copied everything over and got the libraries, but not the posters and now I have two servers listed, one online and one off with the same name, so I must have done something wrong. Deleting it all and starting over. Too bad it takes so drat long to copy all the files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I hosed up my settings and now many if my files aren't playing properly. They take a while to start, and stutter a bunch on Chromecast. Desktop is fine.

What's the best way to rest it all to default?