Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Rhonne posted:

I'm not rooting for both sides, I just want Twice to be happy. The rest of the villains can die/go to jail for all I care.

I want Twice to meet Gentle someday, I bet he'd be a good friend to him.

Sure not ALL the villains, but for instance I read this chapter right after watching the latest episode of the anime with its heavy focus on Gentle and La Brava.

I'm just particularly feeling it right now.

Plus all the shots of the Liberation folks looking terrified/overwhelmed as the heroes plow through them. I don't think a lot of these people are on the level of villainhood/depravity that the higher ups are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Average member is not even supposed to a villain I think, just comparable to Vigilantes except they use their quirk for whatever they want. Of course Redestro & co are in it for new world order.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The average member still joined a militia intent on overthrowing the state

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're the same type of people who let Curious turn them into living bombs.

Most of them are basically just cultists.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Reminder that Liberation's Army creed is basically just Libertarianism if super-powers existed. And the average member is a person who bought into such ideology so hard he became a cultist willing to stage an armed uprising. I have absolutely zero sympathy for them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fighting for your beliefs is only good and heroic when it supports the state

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lt. Lizard posted:

Reminder that Liberation's Army creed is basically just Libertarianism if super-powers existed. And the average member is a person who bought into such ideology so hard he became a cultist willing to stage an armed uprising. I have absolutely zero sympathy for them.

This is counter revolutionary thought my friend.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

Will Dabi actually be useful to the League for once, or will he find a way to screw this up too? Find out next week!

Has he ever really screwed up? At worst, he's been made to retreat a few times.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

What part of their ideal makes it good or heroic?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
If I had the inborn ability to turn my legs into big springs and jump around but the govt told me I wasn't allowed to, or I could fly with weird laser wings, but they said it was illegal, then I'd probably start leaning libertarian

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

"fascist uprising is actually good, because it fights against the state" is a hell of a take my friend.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

"fascist uprising is actually good, because it fights against the state" is a hell of a take my friend.

yeah that'd be a hosed up thing for someone in this thread to say but i'm not sure why you're randomly bringing that up

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Brother Entropy posted:

Fighting for your beliefs isn't intrinsically good because sometimes your beliefs are libertarian bullshit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

This manga has repeatedly gone into how hero society is kind of hosed up and the entire structure of society failed many and was so fragile losing one man drove everyone into panic and broke it all but anyone who's got a problem with that deserves no sympathy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also lol calling this a fascist uprising when the whole world is a super powered police state

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 15, 2020

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Fighting for your beliefs isn't intrinsically good because sometimes your beliefs are libertarian bullshit.

if there are droves of people willing to die for their libertarian bullshit maybe it's worth analyzing how/why society got to a point that there's so many of those people

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So we should let Shgaraki literally destroy everything???

Because that's who's leading the libertarians right now

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Like I'm not saying the League is morally correct in their actions nor redestro in their beliefs but if you act like they're not justified in being un happily with society and they're completely worth writing off you're doing the exact poo poo that led to like half the LoVs being the broken people they are now.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This manga has repeatedly gone into how hero society is kind of hosed up and the entire structure of society failed many and was so fragile losing one man drove everyone into panic and broke it all but anyone who's got a problem with that deserves no sympathy.

MHA society has problems (most of which are real life society problems plus super powers) but that doesn't mean I'll support an uprising that will change society to only value a persons quirk and almost immediately turned their entire organisation over to a crazed anarchist terrorist who openly says he wants nothing more than to murder a bunch of people because he fit their idea of 'freedom'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm just saying maybe slow your roll on the 'how DARE they oppose the state?!' takes when one of the most consistent beats throughout all of MHA is the various sympathetic people who've been failed by the status quo

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah that'd be a hosed up thing for someone in this thread to say but i'm not sure why you're randomly bringing that up

Well, I dunno, it looked like someone was implying that the revolutionary uprising bankrolled by corporation heads and remnants of a terrorist organization founded by the man who already exploited social unrest to become an unofficial dictator of japan once before and whose ideology is basically "your genetic makeup determines your worth" was the one with moral high ground, so... :shrug:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 15, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TheKirbs posted:

MHA society has problems (most of which are real life society problems plus super powers) but that doesn't mean I'll support an uprising that will change society to only value a persons quirk and almost immediately turned their entire organisation over to a crazed anarchist terrorist who openly says he wants nothing more than to murder a bunch of people because he fit their idea of 'freedom'

Do the members actually know that Shigaraki wants to destroy everything? Re-Destro does, but looking over the chapters it seems as if from most of their perspective their boss got beaten handily in a 1v1 and turned over the organization to Shigaraki saying he was the true embodiment of Destro's ideals but never actually explained that Shigaraki just wanted to disintegrate everything.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I like the clashing ideologies because both sides have superpowers and it leads to cool fights

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Do the members actually know that Shigaraki wants to destroy everything? Re-Destro does, but looking over the chapters it seems as if from most of their perspective their boss got beaten handily in a 1v1 and turned over the organization to Shigaraki saying he was the true embodiment of Destro's ideals but never actually explained that Shigaraki just wanted to disintegrate everything.

No probably not and like I said thinking that way is running counter to every moral of the story so far and explicitly what lead to the formation of the biggest threat to hero society since then first age of villainy

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

broke: the liberation army goons are cultists, which means they're stupid dummies who need to get pwned by the cops
woke: the liberation army goons are cultists, which mean they're likely vulnerable people society has failed being lied to and exploited by their leaders and deserve our sympathy

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Nods sagely It’s the militia members helping a madman into power who are the real victims here

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SgtSteel91 posted:

So we should let Shgaraki literally destroy everything???

Because that's who's leading the libertarians right now

Down with society. Up with not society. Shiggy 2020.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

thetoughestbean posted:

Nods sagely It’s the militia members helping a madman into power who are the real victims here

I agree, people can be manipulated by someone hiding their true intentions, and it is tragic.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yes, the state and society in My Hero Academia suck and need to change, but look at what the forces of change want to change the society into, before cheering for them. Like if you think that Liberation's army end-goal is a better society than what the world of MHA is now, I don't know what to tell you.

And that's just looking at Liberation Army itself, while ignoring that Shigaraki's ultimate goal is still "dunno, guess I'll destroy the world, lol".

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

I mean the manga and author seem to agree with you there at least with regards to twice and Spinner

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm just saying maybe slow your roll on the 'how DARE they oppose the state?!' takes when one of the most consistent beats throughout all of MHA is the various sympathetic people who've been failed by the status quo

Who said this though? Your post and the ones proceeding it said nothing about them being wrong simply because they oppose the state.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they deserve sympathy but also an rear end whooping because theyre gonna kill a LOT of people if they have their way

edit: and a decent amount of them have definitely killed already

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

i mean, in this little preemptive strike yeah they kind of are? the liberation army as a whole hasn't really done that much illegal poo poo on-screen as of yet, but they're still all getting wrecked because their leader decided to become the ultimate shigarki simp

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Waffleman_ posted:

I agree, people can be manipulated by someone hiding their true intentions, and it is tragic.

The liberation army and the villain alliance are extremely not hiding their intentions, though.

I can feel bad for the cultists after the fact, but I generally wait until after they are done trying to do the equivalent of an armed uprising.

They took over a town for Christs sake!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Has he ever really screwed up? At worst, he's been made to retreat a few times.

dabi's the reason all might was able to deliver a pizza to the league's original hq, because he kept coming and going from the place until surveillance noticed him

i guess he thought his frankenstein-looking carcass would be more incognito

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

thetoughestbean posted:

The liberation army and the villain alliance are extremely not hiding their intentions, though.

I can feel bad for the cultists after the fact, but I generally wait until after they are done trying to do the equivalent of an armed uprising.

They took over a town for Christs sake!

I’m pretty sure they took over a town because everyone in the town was a member not through force though.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
To bring this back to an early point made, Stain did have a point but he went about it such a bad way that it sullied the message

Sure, some heroes are capitalist jerks or assholes, but most of the heroes we've seen are perfectly chill and cool people, and Endeavor, who was probably the biggest example of 'not all heroes are great', is working on trying to be a better hero/father/husband

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Quirk society has serious issues that need to be addressed, especially in regards to people falling through the cracks. This does not mean the solution is a bloody revolution to put in charge people who will make it worse.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Joining up with the nihilist sociopath who talks constantly about how he wants to destroy, destroy, destroy does not make you sympathetic, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Oxxidation posted:

dabi's the reason all might was able to deliver a pizza to the league's original hq, because he kept coming and going from the place until surveillance noticed him

i guess he thought his frankenstein-looking carcass would be more incognito

He also kept murdering people when he was supposed to be out recruiting for the League.