Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/963870/Valor__Victory/

It does look like there's someone else trying to do an ASL conversion
I remember the pnp game being pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I wish Tigers On The Hunt were good

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/963870/Valor__Victory/

It does look like there's someone else trying to do an ASL conversion

I dunno about the rules, but art-wise this looks dangerously close to ripping off Lock and Load Tactical

Which has its own digital version coming out Soon™!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Drone posted:

Couldn't one just lift the setting from Shattered Union and make a series of scenarios for it in an engine like ATG, TOAW4, or CMO?

I mean yeah it wouldn't be the same turn-based tactics game as Shattered Union but it at least gets halfway there.

I mean I could, I have the experience. There’s a ACW2 packed with the game but that scenario has some utterly baffling design choices. Maybe I’ll make that my objective for the year is to make one. A localized scenario could be interesting.

Edit: Missouri front with modern units, CSA player has to use the Arkansas national guard and Texas national guard to try and push to the Iowa border?

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 9, 2020

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I forgot I was working on a Toledo War scenario from like eight months ago, and I either accidentally deleted it or it is on a different computer, but I did find this saved screenshot

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 12, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That's an interesting notion.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I wish there was a grognard-y version of a game like shattered union

At least don't repeat my mistake of trying to wring some joy from Supreme Ruler. You'd think a game that's half a modern-day Victoria and half a real-time Panzer/People's General would make for some memorable gaming experiences (there's a Trump vs. Sanders civil war scenario!), but you'd be wrong. Every time you try. :(

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

At least don't repeat my mistake of trying to wring some joy from Supreme Ruler. You'd think a game that's half a modern-day Victoria and half a real-time Panzer/People's General would make for some memorable gaming experiences (there's a Trump vs. Sanders civil war scenario!), but you'd be wrong. Every time you try. :(

It’s too late. I already do that. The modern government sim market is dire.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I cracked and bought Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail. From the guys that made Darthmod and Ultimate General: Civil War

If anyone was looking at picking it up I’d say hold off for a few months, ship to ship is a bit rough with some features being missing but the ground game is atrocious, you’d think after two entirely infantry based games they’d nail it but it plays terribly.

Not gonna refund as it’s pretty much all I want in a game, age of sail and musket coastal raiding etc. I hope they make good progress on it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Has anyone tried WarPlan from Matrix? I saw a random reference to it and didn't realize it existed until today. Doesn't look like anything special, especially since I don't remember it being discussed in the thread but just curious if I missed something and it's actually worth looking at.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

nessin posted:

Has anyone tried WarPlan from Matrix? I saw a random reference to it and didn't realize it existed until today. Doesn't look like anything special, especially since I don't remember it being discussed in the thread but just curious if I missed something and it's actually worth looking at.

Warplan's similar to strategic command 3 but it was made by somebody willing to make more radical changes- so now theire's air/naval stacking, land units make more sense and there's a more complex economic model behind it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I know it had some strategic AI problems, but it looks like its been fairly aggressively patched since then so I don't know how it stands today. I've had it on my wishlist for a while.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

does anyone have any tips for mapping real world locations to the operational art of war iv besides overlapping the game with google maps

e: for anyone curious

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 14, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Abongination posted:

Not gonna refund as it’s pretty much all I want in a game, age of sail and musket coastal raiding etc. I hope they make good progress on it.

They've done a lot on Dreadnoughts, so keep an eye on update notifications.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

does anyone have any tips for mapping real world locations to the operational art of war iv besides overlapping the game with google maps

Look up Hexthingy, it places hexes over google maps of your chosen size and density. I used it to make a map of Estonia

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

that is incredibly helpful thank you.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

that is incredibly helpful thank you.

What's the basis of this scenario? It looks interesting from map alone.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I was thinkg about that ACW scenario that came with the base game and decided to try and take a whack at with something zoomed in on illinois. I have run into a slight difficulty that I'm not sure how to represent the sprawling masses of mc-mansion hell that covers the northwest corner of the state though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Stairmaster posted:

I was thinkg about that ACW scenario that came with the base game and decided to try and take a whack at with something zoomed in on illinois. I have run into a slight difficulty that I'm not sure how to represent the sprawling masses of mc-mansion hell that covers the northwest corner of the state though.

Easy fix. Fluff up that in the confused early hours of the war, a strategic exchange targeted that area and just make it a blasted, irradiated wasteland.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

For suburbs and areas that have big houses that aren't populated city centers I typically put the "urban" tiles in areas of greater density while leaving the others be cropland or grass.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nessin posted:

Grey Hunter did a video series on it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

nessin posted:

WarPlan - Axis Campaign: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6WX0yyxWfVTXq6JcVnf7vlh4Be91i9SD

Its not the most complex game, fun but well below my skill level.

I'd say its a good intro to the genre.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Speaking of resources, I'm trying to track down a Soviet OOB circa 1980's. I can find totals of aircraft but I'm looking to get more granular, ideally down to the air base level. I've got some used 1980's era source books coming, but a good online source would be great. Anyone got a place?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Yooper posted:

Speaking of resources, I'm trying to track down a Soviet OOB circa 1980's. I can find totals of aircraft but I'm looking to get more granular, ideally down to the air base level. I've got some used 1980's era source books coming, but a good online source would be great. Anyone got a place?

https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/Soviet_Union_OOB_1988

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It's alive? The past few times I've tried to use it I get a big fat error.

Awesome, thanks!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yooper posted:

http://www.ww2.dk/new/newindex.htm

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It’s too late. I already do that. The modern government sim market is dire.

I was actually very impressed when the original had fresh water as a crucial strategic resource to fight over, seemed actually prescient. So of course the later games removed it

Stairmaster posted:

I keep wondering, aren't at least the city hexes just zoomed-out screencaps of Steel Panthers buildings? The trees look a bit familiar too.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
We're halfway through March, release Aurora already!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

uPen posted:

We're halfway through March, release Aurora already!

The guy said it would be the end of March, and also, that might be delayed:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10606.0 posted:

Why isn't the code open source? Can I crack the code?

I've seen this question come up on the Discord again, so I will cover it here.

Aurora is a hobby for me. I'm having fun creating a game for myself, that I also share with others. The fun is partly through designing and playing the game and partly through the challenge of coding. I have zero interest in project managing a group of developers or trying to integrate someone else's code (that is a job, not a hobby). I'm not interested in Aurora having the best possible code or the best possible architecture or debating what that might look like. I simply want to have fun programming and playing.

So far, I have been happy to share the result of that work. I do not want to share the actual code, which represents thousands of hours of work on my part. I don't want to waste time on bug reports caused by someone else hacking around and I don't want multiple potentially competing versions of Aurora. In simple terms, I want to maintain control over my creation

Based on some comments on the Discord, it seems to greatly upset some people that I am not prepared to hand over my work so they can use it for whatever purpose they feel like. They are also suggestions (again today) that they will just crack the code anyway. I do sometimes consider simply not releasing at all to avoid those issues, because I can still code and play the game myself and just release fiction updates. However, I know that would disappoint people who have waited a long time for C#, so instead I have to waste time adding obfuscation to the code to prevent the issues mentioned above. If C# is delayed beyond my end of March release date, that will be the reason.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Those people should just make their own Space Ship game (from scratch) if they're so eager to muck about in Aurora 4X's guts

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Well I'm in isolation for the next two weeks, might just run my LP in old Aurora.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Those people should just make their own Space Ship game (from scratch) if they're so eager to muck about in Aurora 4X's guts

It isn't quite as bad as it was a few years ago, but there's still a solid core of open-source cultists who get incensed at the very notion of a closed-source project and break out the pitchforks. Dwarf Fortress was plagued by those over on Bay12 for years.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Alright I'm done with my map and I'm gonna get to work on the order of battle now.

Think I'll just roll a die to see what military units defect and which go loyalist.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Holy poo poo you cranked out a good looking map fast. Christ.

Comedy option: Wisconsin invading Illinois from the north.

32nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team facing off against the Illinois 33rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, with pro-Wisconsin guerrillas operating in the backlines to give civilian police units a purpose?

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 17, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
A band of Springfield Secessionist should spawn at the bottom of the map.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Virtual Russian posted:

Well I'm in isolation for the next two weeks, might just run my LP in old Aurora.

High five, buddy. I've been playing grognard board games for 7 days.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 17, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ran into a problem: none of the NG units in this theatre have tanks. Does the US store mothballed tanks anywhere east of the missisipi?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Holy poo poo you cranked out a good looking map fast. Christ.

hexthingy really spreads things up.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Ran into a problem: none of the NG units in this theatre have tanks. Does the US store mothballed tanks anywhere east of the missisipi?

1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 34th Infantry Division, Minnesota National Guard?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

I can probably help you with this if you need some specific information.

Pretty much the only place in CONUS you'll find stocks like that is the Sierra depot out in CA. Those tanks aren't anywhere near ready to roll, either...they require depot level refurbishing before doing anything.

I'm not sure what kind of scenario you really have in mind, but building a couple of task forces with only reserve component units is going to be...tricky. You might look at something like an AC joint task force trying to re-take Chicagoland from a rebellious state militia built around a couple of RC BCTs plussed up with a bunch of civilian/paramilitary forces or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

bewbies posted:

I can probably help you with this if you need some specific information.

Pretty much the only place in CONUS you'll find stocks like that is the Sierra depot out in CA. Those tanks aren't anywhere near ready to roll, either...they require depot level refurbishing before doing anything.

I'm not sure what kind of scenario you really have in mind, but building a couple of task forces with only reserve component units is going to be...tricky. You might look at something like an AC joint task force trying to re-take Chicagoland from a rebellious state militia built around a couple of RC BCTs plussed up with a bunch of civilian/paramilitary forces or something like that.

I take it they've tightened things up since the time that guy stole a Patton and took it out for a spin in San Diego?