Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So I don't want to force the chill factor here, but starting out for the first time, will I be able to get a lot of actual play time out of it? Like just, "will there be poo poo to do before I unlock these various things."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Khanstant posted:

New slang2me, is "kips" small and wimpy or just unimpressive? Maybe like "crap?"

I hope the map planner updates with the new info added. The new confirmed limits drastically limit what kind of terraforming can be done. I had plenty of ideas before, but I naively thought we'd be able to edit the beaches and edges. Working with those things will take more planning than I initially though/

yeah i'm hoping they allow us to add new river outlets eventually with an update or something. they did expand new leaf greatly with welcome amiibo, so hopefully we see new horizons get something like that for customization stuff.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I want to build my home in the NE corner, perhaps with a few of the chosen elite villagers. So I think I want the river outlets to be in the south and the east, so I can eventually make a moat around my section of the island.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I love this hippie dog thats been in some screenshots and promo stuff, anyone know who he is?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Harvey was introduced in the big amiibo update for New Leaf and he's also in Pocket Camp. He runs a campground.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I'm going to share an island with my husband and there's so many favorite villagers of ours. Since we have an almost complete amiibo card deck, we could have any dream villager on our island if we wanted.

But this time, we decided to allow only one villager of our choosing and let the rest come naturally.

Come what may, I want to give everybody a chance to love. :3:

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

What's the max number of villagers?

Me and my brother Meatbomb are gonna be playing and I want us to be able to pick at least 1 or 2 specific villagers each.

Also, can I get a tag? I've never gotten one before, but this one seems right.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Hello cool friends, this will be my first AC and I'd love to join your gang.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I'm considering naming my island Al Amarja, but doing so would mandate buying an Ankha card and I'm not sure I want to commit to that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nessus posted:

So I don't want to force the chill factor here, but starting out for the first time, will I be able to get a lot of actual play time out of it? Like just, "will there be poo poo to do before I unlock these various things."

It's kind of up to you? There might be points in a day where you've done "everything," but what everything is up to you. However, it is generally designed to be a game played over time, so you can't marathon 100 hours and make super progress. You'll have probably been ahead of the curve for 4 days worth of village, but otherwise not like you'd be bell-king of bells mountain or anything. Actually - with dodo islands or whatever, I suppose you could very well grind your progression up more?

Either way - worst case scenario and you're out of stuff to do in a day and don't care to visit others, but desperately want to play more -- you could always time travel a day to have a new set of daily things to do and inch closer to opening up bigger activities.

So to answer your question yes, but also yes if you need even more hours of play a day.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

lowercase16 posted:

Me and my brother Meatbomb are gonna be playing and I want us to be able to pick at least 1 or 2 specific villagers each.

I choose to believe your brother’s real life name is Meatbomb.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Khanstant posted:

It's kind of up to you? There might be points in a day where you've done "everything," but what everything is up to you. However, it is generally designed to be a game played over time, so you can't marathon 100 hours and make super progress. You'll have probably been ahead of the curve for 4 days worth of village, but otherwise not like you'd be bell-king of bells mountain or anything. Actually - with dodo islands or whatever, I suppose you could very well grind your progression up more?

Either way - worst case scenario and you're out of stuff to do in a day and don't care to visit others, but desperately want to play more -- you could always time travel a day to have a new set of daily things to do and inch closer to opening up bigger activities.

So to answer your question yes, but also yes if you need even more hours of play a day.
Yeah this is more, "I'm working from home due to the sand pestilence and I hope I will not find that I play the cute game for like 45 minutes and then, ulp, done." I'm not trying to minmax, it's more "will there (presumably) be lots of lateral stuff to explore even early on"

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Nemo2342 posted:

I want to build my home in the NE corner, perhaps with a few of the chosen elite villagers. So I think I want the river outlets to be in the south and the east, so I can eventually make a moat around my section of the island.

its interesting, psychologically, how many people want to make the north east a little mountain hide out for themsleves or a certain villager, and how much people want to segregate the island into moats and sub islands

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Nessus posted:

Yeah this is more, "I'm working from home due to the sand pestilence and I hope I will not find that I play the cute game for like 45 minutes and then, ulp, done." I'm not trying to minmax, it's more "will there (presumably) be lots of lateral stuff to explore even early on"

The games have made it progressively easier to just time travel when you feel like playing some more. There should be an in-game clock that you can move forward from the start menu. Just do that. In New Leaf at least, the only downside was that animals from other towns would call you out on being a time traveller.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lowercase16 posted:

The minimum that we know is 10 maybe 11.

If you count the yellow houses on the minimap they have 10 right now and assuming that's a reserved space where an animal can move in, that would bring the count up to 11.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nessus posted:

In that case, you'll want to time travel. It seems there will certainly be more you can do early on in this one than in past versions, but even so, I am not sure if there's 8 hours of play in every day of the first weeks. Aside from Time Travelling, you could also maybe visit other people but who knows if you'll enjoy that so early or not. I also suppose it might be possible to find the right timed people and work on your bug/fish collection using other towns online? Possible to fish all day every day as far as I know, richest fisherman alive after a few days haha.

If you don't wanna time travel, this might not be the best singular title to sink full days of playing with?

Electric Phantasm posted:

The minimum that we know is 10 maybe 11.

If you count the yellow houses on the minimap they have 10 right now and assuming that's a reserved space where an animal can move in, that would bring the count up to 11.

Their map is really alerting me that I'll be remloading my initial options for quite a while. That flat second level plateau means only houses can be built there, right? It looks pretty bizarre as a big flat block of just plain ol trees up there.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 17, 2020

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
Both the Gamexplain and Kotaku videos mentioned the game being playable for hours at a time, mainly due to crafting/material collecting and Nook Points, so it could be feasible.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

You mean you're not going to be fishing/bug catching for the whole day to see what's out there?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Fishing is like the best thing in AC so I'm going to be very upset if I can't get a fishing rod at the very beginning. It sounds like we craft the basic tools at the start so hopefully they start you with enough poo poo to build a fishing rod as soon as you plop your tent down.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Modest Mao posted:

its interesting, psychologically, how many people want to make the north east a little mountain hide out for themsleves or a certain villager, and how much people want to segregate the island into moats and sub islands

Personally I'm only confident in my creativity in a limited area, so it makes sense to cordon off a smaller section of land as "mine" to focus on. Plus building a mountain fortress is just cool.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

You mean you're not going to be fishing/bug catching for the whole day to see what's out there make thousands and thousands of bells?

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
I'm mildly wary about breakable tools cos in general I hate that. But maybe it makes it easier instead of waiting for the shop to finally offer it?

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Seabhac posted:

I'm mildly wary about breakable tools cos in general I hate that. But maybe it makes it easier instead of waiting for the shop to finally offer it?

Yeah! Even if it's a bit of a hassle, I like the idea of being able to make my own tools more than time traveling because the shop's closed or doesn't offer what I need.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

My biggest worry is that certain critters will be locked behind upgraded tools but that seems too "gamey" for the chill vibes of AC. I guess I should watch some of these gameplay vids since I'm on extended spring break and my college has no idea what to do right now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Khanstant posted:

In that case, you'll want to time travel. It seems there will certainly be more you can do early on in this one than in past versions, but even so, I am not sure if there's 8 hours of play in every day of the first weeks. Aside from Time Travelling, you could also maybe visit other people but who knows if you'll enjoy that so early or not. I also suppose it might be possible to find the right timed people and work on your bug/fish collection using other towns online? Possible to fish all day every day as far as I know, richest fisherman alive after a few days haha.

If you don't wanna time travel, this might not be the best singular title to sink full days of playing with?
I had no idea about this time travel business so that seems to adequately fulfill my deep, deep animal friendship needs. I'm completely new to the series, all I know is that Isabelle likes whiskey

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

My work is cutting operating hours for the near future and that means hours in general are going to be cut and I was already feeling wary about spending the money on Animal Crossing and now I'm moreso :ohdear:

Normally I think spending to make yourself happy is a bad idea, but right now I can't think of cheaper way to give yourself joy over the next few months. Things are probably going to get way worse, so anything that helps out is good.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

I had no idea about this time travel business so that seems to adequately fulfill my deep, deep animal friendship needs. I'm completely new to the series, all I know is that Isabelle likes whiskey

you just change your switch's time in your settings, it's that simple

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

you just change your switch's time in your settings, it's that simple
The time or the date, or both?

Given my hours maybe I should get a southern hemisphere island... yes yes...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

The games have made it progressively easier to just time travel when you feel like playing some more. There should be an in-game clock that you can move forward from the start menu. Just do that. In New Leaf at least, the only downside was that animals from other towns would call you out on being a time traveller.

I asked about this earlier but didn't get any replies, figured I'd ask again now that we're talking about it... has anyone actually confirmed that this is still a feature?

I'm rubbish at time-gated games, they make me simultaneously bored and stressed out, but I really love Animal Crossing and have played in bursts with time travel since the first game :shobon: I know this is sacrilege to some but as far as I'm concerned if it's in the game...

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I asked about this earlier but didn't get any replies, figured I'd ask again now that we're talking about it... has anyone actually confirmed that this is still a feature?

I'm rubbish at time-gated games, they make me simultaneously bored and stressed out, but I really love Animal Crossing and have played in bursts with time travel since the first game :shobon: I know this is sacrilege to some but as far as I'm concerned if it's in the game...

yes, time travel is in and unless there's something about the online multiplayer we haven't seen yet there's literally zero consequences for doing it as much as you want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGE8DZm7LwA

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

why time travel when you can instead just be friends with a goon on the opposite hemisphere and go to their island when you get bored of the current season, it's what i plan on doing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I never noticed you could change the time in the game's menu, I thought that was just for restarting and such so I exited out and changed the system time :downs:

I had resolved not to do it in NH but that's slipping a bit if there's a way to do it in game.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just don't go backwards.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm so excited for durability chat

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

A couple pages back but this person digs things up and then walks away without filling the holes back in. 100% psychopath

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

......the rescue services are for if your pole or ladder breaks during early game, aren’t they.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/Teeben_Art/status/1239440639902625793?s=20

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Unrelated but anyone else having actual dreams about this drat game. Just me?

It's not even unreal just 'oh cool there's a unlockable third person camera in game! That's nifty!"

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

why time travel when you can instead just be friends with a goon on the opposite hemisphere and go to their island when you get bored of the current season, it's what i plan on doing

Well according to the reviews: it takes about a week of RL time before you unlock things like the vaulting pole, ladder, and town tune so I can see people wanting to time travel a bit until the island is in a later stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

yes, time travel is in and unless there's something about the online multiplayer we haven't seen yet there's literally zero consequences for doing it as much as you want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGE8DZm7LwA

Thanks. A bit worried that you gotta go through the system settings though :ohdear: I liked how you could just do it right ingame in the other games without potentially messing up anything for other games. That said, I don't know if adjusting the system clock actually would mess with any other games but it still feels a bit more brute-force and less "sanctioned by the game".