Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Is $15-20 the normal price for amiibo, or is demand just really high right now? The only one I have is a Resetti I got when the Walmart near me was dumping all of their amiibo stuff for 99 cents each and I had no idea they could get so expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dip Viscous posted:

Is $15-20 the normal price for amiibo, or is demand just really high right now? The only one I have is a Resetti I got when the Walmart near me was dumping all of their amiibo stuff for 99 cents each and I had no idea they could get so expensive.

The regular price for the figures is $8-$10 (judging on GameStop's site), except for Smash Bro's Isabelle which is $16. The cards from Nintendo's UK site are $4.28 for 3 cards, but the price of the cards on ebay/etsy is way way higher as sellers are charging a premium for popular characters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dumb question but does the game auto pick your hemisphere based on...I dunno, console registration or something, or can we pick if we want wacky bizzaro seasons

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

For the amiibo figurines, try Five Below. I picked up a couple there for $5 each. Card prices are highly variable so I’d go the NFC sticker route for those.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Two Worlds posted:

Gita Jackson is a black and Indian woman

she's also from mucho Money and kind of a dumbass sometimes. what a world

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

new morning routine once this game is out will be to fire up new horizons, make my way over to the butterfly room, sit down, grab my coffee and breakfast and just chill there

I am also very happy that the person in that video did not wake Blathers unnecessarily. I always felt bad in older games talking to him during the day!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Dumb question but does the game auto pick your hemisphere based on...I dunno, console registration or something, or can we pick if we want wacky bizzaro seasons

You select your hemisphere. I'm choosing South while my wife chooses North so we can visit the seasons in their off, uh.. season.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sexpig by night posted:

They said in the first reveal thing that you can pick whichever hemisphere you want on game start.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I looked for Amiibo cards for three of my favorite characters out of curiosity; two (Camofrog, best friend from the original GCN game, and Phoebe, who just has a really cool design) were less than five US dollars, the third (Ankha, one of my favorite designs and my best friend in New Leaf) I saw regularly going for more than thirty or forty. It really depends on who you're after.

That said, just making your own with NFC tags is much cheaper, and you could even make custom cards or figures for them if you're so inclined.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Ankha is popular.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Her house having a throne, which is apparently absurdly rare and expensive, probably adds to it, given that you can get furniture from your villagers and all.

She actually gave me hers out of the blue in NL. Was a nice surprise, though at the same time I felt like it looked better in her home than mine.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope I can get a harem of supernatural/sci-fi type villagers without amiibo cards. So the mummies, the clown, the robots, the stuffed bear.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You don't want to know why Ankha is sought after.

E: Apparently the new wolf villager is named Audie as a homage to that one Grandmother that's been playing New Leaf nonstop for 4 years :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have like 30 amiibo cards and they're all the worst villagers :negative:

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

I hope to approximate a run down trailer park aesthetic. Gonna call my character Randy.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

E: Apparently the new wolf villager is named Audie as a homage to that one Grandmother that's been playing New Leaf nonstop for 4 years :3:

That's so sweet!!

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Aw man i just realised i’m gonna be stuck on the island naming part for hours because im indecisive as hell

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Aw man i just realised i’m gonna be stuck on the island naming part for hours because im indecisive as hell

Spending the next 2 days and 22 hrs feverishly thinking of a town name only to spawn in to a town filled with loving peaches

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Timespy posted:

I hope to approximate a run down trailer park aesthetic. Gonna call my character Randy.

*isabelle by town hall* Check it out, Rand! I'm mowin' the air!

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Spending the next 2 days and 22 hrs feverishly thinking of a town name only to spawn in to a town filled with loving peaches

I think I'm gonna lose it if I roll pear one more time.

I'm pretty sure I've had pears for every single Animal Crossing game so far.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i want oranges for my fruit

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Argue posted:

I hope I can get a harem of supernatural/sci-fi type villagers without amiibo cards. So the mummies, the clown, the robots, the stuffed bear.

My favorites tend to fall into this as well. Phoebe and Ankha as above, Lucky (mummy dog), Ribbot (robot frog), Coco (gyroid rabbit), etc. I hope I can get all these weirdos on my island with minimal card use, though might use a few; I definitely want most of my inhabitants to arrive "normally" for the surprise, but every now and then filling an open/recently-emptied spot with one seems fine.

Also, for fruit, I think I'd prefer apples, oranges, or cherries.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Looking forward to joining other people in the Raccoon Goons nook debt gang.

But really, this is going to be a treat. Nice break from everything else. Should probably get my NFC chips ready for at least one sheep villager - I might let the rest be up to chance, but I'm gonna have at least one sheep, dangit!

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

I am very excited to see which villagers will be my new pals.

But I swear, if Bunnie shows up for the third game in a row, I may throw my Switch into traffic.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have no real connections to the series from before so everything is going to be pretty much new on my end. villagers, etc.

not that i have cards or anything anyways, but my island is gonna be 100% at the whims of fate.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i have no real connections to the series from before so everything is going to be pretty much new on my end. villagers, etc.

not that i have cards or anything anyways, but my island is gonna be 100% at the whims of fate.

Honestly it's probably best this way, especially on a first play through. I may speak for many but New Leaf added the functionally kinda later in the games life and that's when a lot of us went hog wild adding whoever we want. But godspeed if you get clown goat.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Imagine talking to villagers instead of chasing bugs around.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

I can't trust any of these video reviews because they didn't use the hole behind you rock trick for best bells efficiency. loving posers.

Also catching fish for the next 800 hours to the most chill music

e: how many bells do I have to bribe for a raccoon goon tag. I'll be in debt to even move folks other than our boy Nook

OMGzKakaniz fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 17, 2020

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

So there's the ability to visit a random real player's island right? I want to visit the many thousand "Corona Isle"s that are bound to fill the digital oceans

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Nemo2342 posted:

The regular price for the figures is $8-$10 (judging on GameStop's site), except for Smash Bro's Isabelle which is $16. The cards from Nintendo's UK site are $4.28 for 3 cards, but the price of the cards on ebay/etsy is way way higher as sellers are charging a premium for popular characters.
They basically don't exist here unless you find a preowned one or buy them on fleabay. In fact, the amiibo cards range from AUD$3 to $25 each depending on the character. Hence me just spending $10 on a bunch of NFC cards to program. I don't want them all, just a few. Only one I've programmed so far was my birthday animal, don't need to rush to decide since apparently it takes over a week before you can access that feature anyway.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You don't want to know why Ankha is sought after.
No problems I'll just google search her *clicks on Images tab*
:yikes:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Next batch queued.

:siren: New rule, if you don't say 'please' when requesting to join the Racoon Goons, you're copping a sixer :siren:

Primarily because I have been very good and haven't abused my IK powers yet.
Also cause it'll be funny

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'd love to get one of the villagers in this as a avatar but

A) I have no idea how to do that
B) I don't want to lose my first and only tag

Buy a new Avatar, in the 'Title Text' field you can paste BBCode

Add this to get the gangtag
code:
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/racgoons.png[/img]
If you gently caress up your avatar just hit me up and I'll fix it up for you.

Very glad there are beards in the game.

I'm a big burly bloke and I just wouldn't feel right playing ~pretty princess island dressup~ without my beard :v:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also cause we're up to 264 gangtags, and that's a lotta spine juice that Lowtax could have used.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Just added my friend code to the list. Super stoked. Going random villagers all the way!

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

SilkyP posted:

Just added my friend code to the list. Super stoked. Going random villagers all the way!

Me too! Let's GO. This is the game I need right now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Few seemingly removed things I kinda hope come back/just haven't been found yet.

*No Dream Suite. With how customizable the island is not having this is a outright crime :psyduck:
*No Nintendo novelty items. They almost never looked good with anything but it feels odd not having them at all
*No Gyroids. I never liked them that much myself but it's odd they're gone when they're pretty iconic

I saw Makars Mask in one of the preview videos so I can count that at least (unless it's just a generic leaf now) but it's still odd to me. Also I can't believe they actually killed Rover. What the hell is going on there :negative:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
is the hardhat thing in the one video posted earlier showing off an island not a gyroid

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hasn't Rover only been in some of the Animal Crossings anyway? The series has recycled old characters where they make sense but not always right away.

Notapipe
Apr 4, 2011

100% Self-Loathing Posting

Could I have myself a copy of that fancy tag, please? As someone who skipped over New Leaf has there been any new Octopi?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Snooze Cruise posted:

is the hardhat thing in the one video posted earlier showing off an island not a gyroid

He sure is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Notapipe posted:

Could I have myself a copy of that fancy tag, please? As someone who skipped over New Leaf has there been any new Octopi?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhgWKUz0Q1U