Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shigaraki does need soldiers. And capital. You wanna know why? "I have a dream!" That one day, everyone in this nation will control THEIR OWN destiny. A land of the TRULY free, goddammit! A nation of ACTION, not words! Ruled by STRENGTH, not committee! Where the law changes to suit the individual, not the other way around! Where power and justice are back where they belong: in the hands of the people with the strongest Quirks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Has anyone given a thought that maybe the villains are a metaphor for homosexuals and minorities?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

No, because they ARE queer and minorities.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nephthys posted:

I'd be more inclined to buy this all as a legitimate goal if there wasn't a very prominent shot of a baby in that scene of Shigaraki saying he wants to 'destroy everything'.

Destroying everything is bad already, you don't need to elaborate.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
When are people going to realize that the correct response to Toga and Twice and Shigaraki and Spinner's sad backstories is

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mystic Mongol posted:

...so I'm not really anticipating the Paranormal Liberation Front to enact a universal basic income and nationalize the banks. But society's crushing down so hard that the liberation army managed to recruit one hundred fifteen thousand people, willing to fight and kill and die for the right to use their quirks. Punching them good is not the end of that problem.

The story has already devoted a pretty huge amount of airtime to sympathetic portrayals of a shitload of villains, and devoted an entire arc to Gentle - a character tailor made and introduced specifically for the purpose of introducing Deku to the idea that maybe poo poo isn't good the way it is. Hawks's offer of a light sentence and help to Twice is him explicitly acknowledging that Twice is worth redeeming despite his crimes(which, even if you ignore what he did before joining the LoV, include juicy stuff like attempted murder, attempted kidnapping, Actual Murder, and so on - not misdemeanors by any means).

It's a superhero shonen manga so the villains will absolutely be stopped by Good Punches, but Horikoshi has already spent a ton of time hammering home the idea that "beat them up, throw them into prison, and throw away the key" doesn't fix this stuff, so it seems odd that people like to characterize the manga as boosting some kind of fascist police state as a flawless ideal. If the manga was really interested in boosting hero society as flawless and utterly good, it wouldn't waste so much time humanizing the enemies of said society and making the reader go "man i feel bad for them".

I think a lot of people seem to be conflating the idea that the LoV needs to suffer some real consequences for what they've done with the idea that that means none of their grievances or personal tragedies are valid, which does not necessarily connect at all.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Funky Valentine posted:

Shigaraki does need soldiers. And capital. You wanna know why? "I have a dream!" That one day, everyone in this nation will control THEIR OWN destiny. A land of the TRULY free, goddammit! A nation of ACTION, not words! Ruled by STRENGTH, not committee! Where the law changes to suit the individual, not the other way around! Where power and justice are back where they belong: in the hands of the people with the strongest Quirks!

Hey theres an idea, Shigaraki becomes a US senator

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kanos posted:

If the manga was really interested in boosting hero society as flawless and utterly good, it wouldn't waste so much time humanizing the enemies of said society and making the reader go "man i feel bad for them".

Goon analysis is really fixated on the idea of all subtext being accidental and unintentional on the part of the author. I'm not sure why.

"This character was supposed to be a bad guy, but instead they're their own character with motivation for acting the way they do. Ugh horrible writing why would you do something like this."

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 17, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

Yeah, all those British soldiers killed because those colonists didn't want to pay their taxes! Greedy shits, killing good men over money. The revolution was unjustified.

Whether or not the death of others for political ends is justified basically depends on what you do with the power afterwards. Shigaraki's been talking out of both sides of his mouth on that issue...

Toga is bad at pattern recognition.

...so I'm not really anticipating the Paranormal Liberation Front to enact a universal basic income and nationalize the banks. But society's crushing down so hard that the liberation army managed to recruit one hundred fifteen thousand people, willing to fight and kill and die for the right to use their quirks. Punching them good is not the end of that problem.

Why are you invoking real life comparisons? I didn't say there aren't valid revolutions/causes out there I am asking about the specific motives of the League of Villains a group possess that make it so you justify their mass murdering?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Has anyone given a thought that maybe the villains are a metaphor for homosexuals and minorities?

Sometimes a guy that turns people to dust is just a guy that turns people to dust

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

socialsecurity posted:

Why are you invoking real life comparisons? I didn't say there aren't valid revolutions/causes out there I am asking about the specific motives of the League of Villains a group possess that make it so you justify their mass murdering?

Seemed the fastest way to say that the motivations of the LoV don't matter as much as the effects of the PLA.

Which probably aren't going to be good!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sometimes a guy that turns people to dust is just a guy that turns people to dust

I mean Shigs aside that just literally describes Magne and Spinner. For those two being discriminated against by society wasn’t the whole reason they joined the VA but it was definitely a big part of why they did.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

RareAcumen posted:

I don't think Magne was a metaphor.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

For a series that so explicitly borrows from Western cape books it's weird that everyone is apparently overlooking the X-Men angle.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
I don't see it... care to expand?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mystic Mongol posted:

I don't see it... care to expand?

The Metahuman Liberation Front is basically just the Brotherhood of Mutants but with way more manpower.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junpei posted:

When are people going to realize that the correct response to Toga and Twice and Shigaraki and Spinner's sad backstories is

People do realize that, but the ones responding to them take the sympathy displayed and acknowledgement of the injustices suffered to be absolution and then lecture them on how it's okay to have sympathy for the villains and acknowledge the injustice they suffered without absolving them.

It's extremely tedious.

Kanos posted:

I think a lot of people seem to be conflating the idea that the LoV needs to suffer some real consequences for what they've done with the idea that that means none of their grievances or personal tragedies are valid, which does not necessarily connect at all.

Justice being punitive rather than rehabilitative (i.e. criminals need to "suffer some real consequences") is a major part of why things are so bad.

I agree with a lot of what you said otherwise, including that the LoV needs to be stopped even if they're sympathetic and many were utterly failed by the existing system, but I feel this is worth noting. What about a "lighter" sentence would help Twice, when he's already so broken that he's developed split personalities he can barely control, for example? Prison (not to be confused with "restraint or containment in any form whatsoever") would just mess him up even worse and keep him on the path he was going down prior to joining the League.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 17, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Narratively consequences are the only thing that matter. That's why trying to 1:1 things to the real life issue is a bad idea.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Roland Jones posted:

People do realize that, but the ones responding to them take the sympathy displayed and acknowledgement of the injustices suffered to be absolution and then lecture them on how it's okay to have sympathy for the villains and acknowledge the injustice they suffered without absolving them.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Yeah, all those British soldiers killed because those colonists didn't want to pay their taxes! Greedy shits, killing good men over money. The revolution was unjustified.
:thunk:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Miruko merked the Noumu cause they were corpses but she would never have done that to actual living villains.

Are you sure?
It's just, nothing she's done has given me the impression she routinely practices much restraint.
She looked like she was 3 paces away from beating the poo poo out a grade school, high-school aged kid with a quirk he couldn't control. She's also encouraged Bakugo that his 'straight up intent to kill the villain is great!'.
I would be very surprised to hear that her 'hare trigger' has never sent a villain to the hospital before.
I wouldn't be very surprised to hear that she's killed or permanently crippled opponents.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"Extremely tedious" is a good summary of this discussion as a whole

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

socialsecurity posted:

What is LoV's end goal that justifies murdering so many people?

How many named characters have died to the LoV that had a greater degree of characterization than the sand hero jobbed by Dabi/Compress? Because that's my threshold, I'm not really interested in faceless goons Gabi torches in an alleyway we've never heard of. As far as Shonen mangas are concerned I'm not going to dwell too much on faceless takedowns. Wake me up when a LoV character kills a beloved Hero we've spent time with and gotten invested in, I'll care about that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Justice being punitive rather than rehabilitative (i.e. criminals need to "suffer some real consequences") is a major part of why things are so bad.

I agree with a lot of what you said otherwise, including that the LoV needs to be stopped even if they're sympathetic and many were utterly failed by the existing system, but I feel this is worth noting. What about a "lighter" sentence would help Twice, when he's already so broken that he's developed split personalities he can barely control, for example? Prison (not to be confused with "restraint or containment in any form whatsoever") would just mess him up even worse and keep him on the path he was going down prior to joining the League.

"Consequences" in this scenario effectively means "you are forcibly not allowed to interact with society until it can be proven after treatment that you're not going to be a mass murderer anymore", which, for some members of the league, would likely mean a really loving long time. Rehabilitative justice is the ultimate goal both in terms of humanitarianism and reducing recidivism over time, but for some individuals rehabilitation takes a really, really long time to never.

Your "not to be confused with restraint or containment" strikes me as a mealy-mouthed way of stepping around the issue that some villains are probably not rehabilitatable. Do you think someone like AfO or Stain is going to renounce their ways and become a good citizen? Do you think it's safe to just let them go free because punitive justice is bad? How about Shigaraki, the man who can and has brutally disintegrated like 300 people(in self defense) in four seconds, has repeatedly tried to murder and kidnap children, and openly avows that his life goal is to literally destroy everything in society? He had a terrible, horribly tragic past and was made into what he is by a monster, but that doesn't change that he's a mass murderer whose specific and only goal is to continue killing endlessly.

Twice getting a light sentence would mean that the restraints on his freedom and movement could be substantially less restrictive due to the #2 hero vouching for him personally, allowing him to live a more normal life while receiving the treatment he obviously desperately needs. Think house arrest or a minimum security prison instead of gen pop or maximum security.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crasical posted:

Are you sure?
It's just, nothing she's done has given me the impression she routinely practices much restraint.
She looked like she was 3 paces away from beating the poo poo out a grade school, high-school aged kid with a quirk he couldn't control. She's also encouraged Bakugo that his 'straight up intent to kill the villain is great!'.
I would be very surprised to hear that her 'hare trigger' has never sent a villain to the hospital before.
I wouldn't be very surprised to hear that she's killed or permanently crippled opponents.

Heroes cannot kill. A Hero killing is a crime, thus they would face consequences. This isn't to say that Heroes, even high-ranked ones, are free of sin - Endeavor's the Number 1 Hero after all! - but the idea that one of the highest ranking Heroes in the country would break such an incredibly public rule and not get immediately punished and stripped of her position is insane.

Yeah, she agreed with Bakugou. She clearly has the same idea re:violence, but it's also heavily important to remember that Bakugou has also never killed anyone and has said "die" in every possible situation. His murderous intent is metaphorical, he's just highly spirited, pretty drat violent and has a terrible mouth on him, but he's fully aware what a Hero can and cannot do. Mirko agreeing with him and their overall similarities just tell us that such a behaviour isn't necessarily un-Heroic, but it's clear that the line is still there.

Plus, Mirko being excited beyond belief she can actually go all-out is absolute proof she doesn't get to do it often. Otherwise she'd just see it as an everyday thing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

KazigluBey posted:

How many named characters have died to the LoV that had a greater degree of characterization than the sand hero jobbed by Dabi/Compress? Because that's my threshold, I'm not really interested in faceless goons Gabi torches in an alleyway we've never heard of. As far as Shonen mangas are concerned I'm not going to dwell too much on faceless takedowns. Wake me up when a LoV character kills a beloved Hero we've spent time with and gotten invested in, I'll care about that.

I get having sympathy for them but why are you rooting for them, what even is their goal that you are rooting for? They don't have any sort of ideal beyond killing/destruction at this point.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

"Consequences" in this scenario effectively means "you are forcibly not allowed to interact with society until it can be proven after treatment that you're not going to be a mass murderer anymore", which, for some members of the league, would likely mean a really loving long time. Rehabilitative justice is the ultimate goal both in terms of humanitarianism and reducing recidivism over time, but for some individuals rehabilitation takes a really, really long time to never.

Your "not to be confused with restraint or containment" strikes me as a mealy-mouthed way of stepping around the issue that some villains are probably not rehabilitatable. Do you think someone like AfO or Stain is going to renounce their ways and become a good citizen? Do you think it's safe to just let them go free because punitive justice is bad? How about Shigaraki, the man who can and has brutally disintegrated like 300 people(in self defense) in four seconds, has repeatedly tried to murder and kidnap children, and openly avows that his life goal is to literally destroy everything in society? He had a terrible, horribly tragic past and was made into what he is by a monster, but that doesn't change that he's a mass murderer whose specific and only goal is to continue killing endlessly.

Twice getting a light sentence would mean that the restraints on his freedom and movement could be substantially less restrictive due to the #2 hero vouching for him personally, allowing him to live a more normal life while receiving the treatment he obviously desperately needs. Think house arrest or a minimum security prison instead of gen pop or maximum security.

Wow, that sure is a lot of words that prescribe positions to me that I did not take and argue with things I did not actually say.

This is why the discussion has been so lovely lately, it's mostly been people reading each other's posts in bad faith and arguing with the most extreme and negative interpretations of them rather than what was actually said.

Roland Jones posted:

It's extremely tedious.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Wow, that sure is a lot of words that prescribe positions to me that I did not take and argue with things I did not actually say.

This is why the discussion has been so lovely lately, it's mostly been people reading each other's posts in bad faith and arguing with the most extreme and negative interpretations of them rather than what was actually said.

You made a statement:

Roland Jones posted:

Which I engaged with directly by discussing what I meant by consequences.

You then stated:

Roland Jones posted:

To which I addressed how a "lighter sentence" in the context of a prison system could help Twice, despite how broken he is.

Your last sentence, combined with your initial criticism of punitive justice vs rehabilitative justice, is why I spent time talking about the difficulties of rehabilitation in the prison system. I apologize for my "mealy mouthed" wording, which wasn't necessary on reflection, but there's a real big issue when the need for compassion and rehabilitation clashes with the need to make sure that people who hurt others cannot continue to hurt them.

How am I talking past you or not reading your posts when I'm directly responding to your statements?

(What's really tedious is people coming out of the woodwork to write one line shitposts about how boring and tedious an ongoing discussion is when there's nothing else going on in the thread because we're between chapters, though.)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Imagine arguing about this dumb poo poo when no one pointed out that Horikoshi added a character that gives people corona

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

socialsecurity posted:

I get having sympathy for them but why are you rooting for them, what even is their goal that you are rooting for? They don't have any sort of ideal beyond killing/destruction at this point.

I'm rooting for them, right now, because short of the inevitable powerup Tomura is going to wake up with (oh and Gigantomachia, I guess?) they're the underdogs in this fight and I am drawn to that. I'm also rooting for them because they have cool designs and/or interesting/compelling backstories. Oh and I guess I'm also rooting for them because they're at least adjacent to the idea that the society in MHA needs some reforming, which pretty much none of the Heroes, old or new, can really claim.

Rooting for the badguys in fiction is perfectly acceptable prima facie and shouldn't really require justifying btw, as an aside.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Heroes cannot kill. A Hero killing is a crime, thus they would face consequences. This isn't to say that Heroes, even high-ranked ones, are free of sin - Endeavor's the Number 1 Hero after all! - but the idea that one of the highest ranking Heroes in the country would break such an incredibly public rule and not get immediately punished and stripped of her position is insane.

Yeah, she agreed with Bakugou. She clearly has the same idea re:violence, but it's also heavily important to remember that Bakugou has also never killed anyone and has said "die" in every possible situation. His murderous intent is metaphorical, he's just highly spirited, pretty drat violent and has a terrible mouth on him, but he's fully aware what a Hero can and cannot do. Mirko agreeing with him and their overall similarities just tell us that such a behaviour isn't necessarily un-Heroic, but it's clear that the line is still there.

Plus, Mirko being excited beyond belief she can actually go all-out is absolute proof she doesn't get to do it often. Otherwise she'd just see it as an everyday thing.

Heroes seem to be permitted to kill, judging from some of All Might's cases, and how Endeavor wasn't punished for frying that first Nomu before it was confirmed they were walking corpses, but it does seem to be subject to strict review, even for the top heroes.

Killing someone is a very big deal, which means an adrenaline junkie like Mirko has to keep herself in check all the time. And the fact she was so excited about cutting loose suggests that was a lot of keeping herself in check normally.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Heroes seem to be permitted to kill, judging from some of All Might's cases, and how Endeavor wasn't punished for frying that first Nomu before it was confirmed they were walking corpses, but it does seem to be subject to strict review, even for the top heroes.

Killing someone is a very big deal, which means an adrenaline junkie like Mirko has to keep herself in check all the time. And the fact she was so excited about cutting loose suggests that was a lot of keeping herself in check normally.

I think they already learned the Nomu were corpses. Also apparently that first Nomu lived.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
People do realize that "Lethal force is authorized" is a common phrase among police and the army when thing get real enough, right? I assume there's a similar thing for Heroes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Endeavor even tried to capture High End alive at first before it rapidly became apparent that he was far too dangerous to hold back against.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Blaze Dragon posted:

Heroes cannot kill. A Hero killing is a crime, thus they would face consequences.

Didn't we get that one guy who was attempting Suicide by Cape not too long ago? He must have believed that if he pushed Endeavor a little, Endeavor would kill him, despite his ranking as #1 hero.

I mean, heck, apply those lines above but with 'policeman' substituted for 'Hero'.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like the one who shoots beams out of his belly. That's rad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Crasical posted:

Didn't we get that one guy who was attempting Suicide by Cape not too long ago? He must have believed that if he pushed Endeavor a little, Endeavor would kill him, despite his ranking as #1 hero.

I mean, heck, apply those lines above but with 'policeman' substituted for 'Hero'.

Yes but Endeavor took him alive last time and probably would have again. The only issue is that he hesitated due to his son being the hostage. (Which still probably would not have resulted in him failing to save Natsuo and take the villain out non lethally, but did result in him being beaten to the punch in resolving the incident.)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Izuku kills President Shigaraki in response to his execution of Mina, skip to two years later where Izuku and the rest of 1-A are now the fascist dictators of the world.

Crasical posted:

I will never not interpret that guy as being a reference to the villain mentioned in Watchmen who was just really into getting beat up so Rorschach threw him down an elevator shaft.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This just shows why we need a new All Might. Not for public safety or maintaining the peace or any of that silly nonsense but so there's someone around that'll keep people in line.

Otherwise they'll punch the planet apart and let space sort out who's guilty or not.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is the villain a good villain or bad villain if they’re doing villainy so Mirko will murder them with her thighs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is the villain a good villain or bad villain if they’re doing villainy so Mirko will murder them with her thighs

Trying to force someone to participate against their will in your sexual fetishes is a bad thing.