Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

DC Murderverse posted:

in my looking for an answer to my question, i learned that apparently Aisha Tyler was originally going to be the voice of Daisy Fitzroy, and she recorded almost an hour of dialogue before getting passed on, which proves that at the very least, they suffer from some very bad taste.

edit: i'd like to think she passed after realizing exactly what happens to that character during the game but I think that was a fairly late decision. I remember the very passionate arguments from people who didn't think it was really really racist and I'm glad that the general consensus about Infinite did not side with those people. None of the characters in any Bioshock game are very deep but when you want to talk about race and American Exceptionalism you'd better follow through with something that isn't deeply stupid and insensitive.

Whatever do you mean? Are you saying people who are the victims of racist oppression and abuse AREN'T just as bad as their oppressors? :v:

That poo poo with Daisy being a psycho is the worst kind of south park truth is in the middle poo poo I've ever seen. But my main problem with Infinite was how tedious the combat was, after how fun it was especially in 2.

edit what a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

Ummmmmmmmmmm...

I'm not gonna say he was definitely homophobic, but I feel like it's the same attitude as using gay as a pejorative. My guess is he was the sort of person who was fine with people being gay, but not with straight men doing something "gay."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm not gonna say he was definitely homophobic, but I feel like it's the same attitude as using gay as a pejorative. My guess is he was the sort of person who was fine with people being gay, but not with straight men doing something "gay."

For an 81 year old cishet white man that's a good as you're going to get. Especially for a guy from loving Texas.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Eh, I really think it's just when you're touring you're already spending 12+ hours a day with these people, do you really want to sleep in the same room as them? It could have been phrased better but I really think it's just Kenny Rogers not being a cheapskate when it comes to his employees.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lurdiak posted:

My go-to is Cytube, which can play youtube videos and, with this handy extension, any film uploaded to google drive. Sadly, the films need to process once uploaded, which can take several hours.

The other popular option is kast, a screen-sharing app. It's got various tiers of service, and dropped frames and bitrate are serious concerns, but it's much less work than cytube.

Of course, in a pinch, you can always use twitch and hope you don't get caught. This poo poo used to be a lot easier back in the ustream/livestream days, but those sites have pivoted to exclusively serving big corporations who want to teleconference. Stay clear unless you wanna pay 1k a month.

Thanks! I'll try cytube and tinkering around with the drive thing!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Eh, I really think it's just when you're touring you're already spending 12+ hours a day with these people, do you really want to sleep in the same room as them? It could have been phrased better but I really think it's just Kenny Rogers not being a cheapskate when it comes to his employees.

I got the intention of it I was just poking fun. But let's be honest about it, the percent chance of him having been weird about gay dudes is probably in the high nineties.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

I got the intention of it I was just poking fun. But let's be honest about it, the percent chance of him having been weird about gay dudes is probably in the high nineties.

Probably, but as a white guy from Texas I bet his point of reference for grown men sharing rooms would be stuff like dirt poor migrant workers and other people who work for touring music acts and the manager or whoever not being willing to pay for separate rooms.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

At the start of the year I started working on the theme for a haunted house next fall.

I had this idea about the backstory being that the building the haunt is in was built on the foundations of an medieval monastery that served as a hospital during the black death. I was going to run with it with piles of writhing corpses wrapped in blood and puss stained funeral shrouds, sinister plague doctors lunging at the guests wielding red hot pokers growling about life being a sickness, a soundscape of coughs and ragged breathing. Etc. Etc.

Then just as I was getting my presentation and lookbook ready this Covid19 flared up and I get the feeling I should go back to the drawing board.

Maybe go in the entire opposite direction and do something completely out there and cosmic.

Go with a meteorite that crashes on a farm and there's an alien plant inside with vines and spores and such. It evokes the fears of now but without being explicit in its content, and is a cool sci-fi throwback thing that you could have a lot of fun with.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Or go with the CoronaVirus cure is black alien blood and makes you into One of THEM :drac:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Probably, but as a white guy from Texas I bet his point of reference for grown men sharing rooms would be stuff like dirt poor migrant workers and other people who work for touring music acts and the manager or whoever not being willing to pay for separate rooms.

Gay stuff can happen anywhere at any time. There may even be gay stuff happening right now...IN YOUR OWN HOME!

FilthyImp posted:

Or go with the CoronaVirus cure is black alien blood and makes you into One of THEM :drac:

Did you see the X-Files movie on tv last night?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's been several years since gay stuff happened in my home. But now I can use a global pandemic as an excuse instead of being an ugly loser.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

It's been several years since gay stuff happened in my home. But now I can use a global pandemic as an excuse instead of being an ugly loser.

There's straight dudes who won't wipe their rear end after pooping because they think it's gay, so i hope there's at least some gay stuff happening in your house.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

There's straight dudes who won't wipe their rear end after pooping because they think it's gay, so i hope there's at least some gay stuff happening in your house.

Making sure your rear end in a top hat is clean isn't gay, it's just not being a loving animal.

fake edit:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ok, yeah, woof. Turns out that Spenser Confidential is basically a stealth TV pilot. It occupies this nebulous middle-ground between film and TV, because they're planning to release a bunch of these Spenser films quick-and-cheap, direct to Netflix.

I could appreciate the sort of psychotic ideological patchwork of it in the same way I could for 6 Underground - it's just that 6 Underground is just so, so much better at it. Like, Spenser Confidential is, at best, basically just an explicitly "Never Trump" version of just a WWE dtv actioner. It's 6 Underground where you have Bay full on going, "I'm literally going to remake/do a spiritual sequel to Team America: World Police."

Frankly, my better than/actually good version of Spenser is 21 Bridges from last year. Just the opening scene where Boseman's character basically asserts that, even from his role as Iron Man/Batman supercop, that, at the very least, 70% of cops are bastards, cuts to the quick a lot more effectively than just, like, whatever's happening where Wahlberg's beating up of a crooked cop is intercut with cartel assassins murdering an anti-gentrification activist. The penultimate scene of the film borders on a copaganda version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Bonus pro-tip, Jason Cabell's Running with the Devil effectively functions as a trashy, dtv ripoff of Sicario that actually does a better job of not just being vaguely about "corruption" and instead literally uses the international drug trade to illustrate Marxist labor theory of value. That was the movie I screenshoted a while back with Larry Fishburne violently cranking it.

unrelated:

I finished reading Jack Finney's The Body Snatchers and, god drat, this is a good book.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I got the stupid idea to start logging all the albums I listen to while on lockdown. I've done days 2-5 so far, and I'm really hoping that this lockdown will end before my patience with this stupid idea ends first.

On the other hand, having all this go down with a pending visa application to leave this stupid loving country has been a little testing, and I need something to keep me sane and praying that I'll still get that visa at some point after the worst of this dies down.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

I got the stupid idea to start logging all the albums I listen to while on lockdown. I've done days 2-5 so far, and I'm really hoping that this lockdown will end before my patience with this stupid idea ends first.

On the other hand, having all this go down with a pending visa application to leave this stupid loving country has been a little testing, and I need something to keep me sane and praying that I'll still get that visa at some point after the worst of this dies down.

Just listen to this every day:
:nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-8UrGUniNg

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

Gay stuff can happen anywhere at any time. There may even be gay stuff happening right now...IN YOUR OWN HOME!

We traced the sodomy, it's coming from inside the house!

feedmyleg posted:

Go with a meteorite that crashes on a farm and there's an alien plant inside with vines and spores and such. It evokes the fears of now but without being explicit in its content, and is a cool sci-fi throwback thing that you could have a lot of fun with.

A man dressed in overalls in a lounge chair, sucking on his finger and mumbling about meteor poo poo.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 22, 2020

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Everyone who doesn't like BioShock 2 is dumb

Go and listen to the tape where the antagonist is coded as evil for not wanting a pregnancy to slow down her career and get back to me.

Bioshock 1 and 3 are games with scripts by an ambitious but awful writer, Bioshock 2 doesn't get above your average episode of South Park in terms of intellectualism.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The games are fun though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

short of the day.
https://twitter.com/thisdiegolopez/status/1236290359489114114?s=20

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Making sure your rear end in a top hat is clean isn't gay, it's just not being a loving animal.

fake edit:

He don't know poo poo 'cause he's never been hosed in the rear end

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

If that's his main worry in life I think he's developed a pretty good defense against it ever happening.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Skwirl posted:

If that's his main worry in life I think he's developed a pretty good defense against it ever happening.

I will not allow the sexual identity of the great people known as crustpunks to go ignored

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

I will not allow the sexual identity of the great people known as crustpunks to go ignored

I thought they just didn't shower, I assumed they wiped.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Skwirl posted:

I thought they just didn't shower, I assumed they wiped.

Love your optimism

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

I see what you did there.

I, Butthole posted:

A guy that I'm insanely attracted to who was not interested in banging told me about how he blew a crustpunk multiple times. That's a thing that leaves a scar on your soul.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

McCloud posted:

Yes I know it's low hanging fruit but I want to emphasize I don't care

You’ve obviously never had seasonal horse eczema. Where’s your empathy?

This is absolutely brilliant.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This book from 1979 about Ouija Boards is all I need right now.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pirate Jet posted:

Go and listen to the tape where the antagonist is coded as evil for not wanting a pregnancy to slow down her career and get back to me.

Bioshock 1 and 3 are games with scripts by an ambitious but awful writer, Bioshock 2 doesn't get above your average episode of South Park in terms of intellectualism.

i don't think anything about lamb is that simple. like, she's obviously written in the mold of Andrew Ryan, where you take almost direct quotations from literature/philosophy and then fill out the rest with story moments and times where that philosophy rubs up against other people who aren't as ideological, and the two are mirrors of each other when it comes to displaying how ego can lead to a warping of your ideals. The really common refrain about BioShock 2's story is that it just copy/pastes Bioshock's script but replaces all of the objectivism with collectivism, but in reality Lamb is just as selfish as Ryan, which is why she ends up the way she is when the game starts, as a cult leader/Jim Jones type. Her ego is being puffed up because she is above everything, she is the mother of the future messiah, but she's also above the natural process of childbirth herself. I think i found the tape you're talking about and that's what I get out of it. It's not that she's being painted as a careerist shrew, she wants her child to be the perfect altruist but she is selfishly putting all of the work of giving birth and raising the child into the hands of people who she sees as lesser.

Basically: what happens when you take someone raised a utilitarian and then put them in a city built by their intellectual opposite to be the antithesis of everything they believe with no access to the outside world? Their worst instincts are warped. Even when you're fighting against it your methods are going to be influenced by your environment, especially if that environment is a total vacuum.

edit: i dunno if they actually did any reading about the Peoples Temple making this game but Jim Jones is probably the best comparison for Lamb as an actual historical figure.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 22, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

therattle posted:

You’ve obviously never had seasonal horse eczema. Where’s your empathy?

It's not really my mane concern right now when when things aren't stable, not gonna foal you.

CPL593H posted:

I see what you did there.

A guy that I'm insanely attracted to who was not interested in banging told me about how he blew a crustpunk multiple times. That's a thing that leaves a scar on your soul.

I don't know what crustpunk is and I refuse to google it. I will remain hsppy in my ignorancy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

McCloud posted:

It's not really my mane concern right now when when things aren't stable, not gonna foal you.

That’s hardly neigh-bourly of you.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I knew going into the Hellboy cartoon movies that they had gotten the actors from the real movies to do the voices. Which is pretty great. But I didn't know that for one character who wasn't in the movie, they got Roz from Frasier to do the voice. Which is also great, but surprisingly distracting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

I finished reading Jack Finney's The Body Snatchers and, god drat, this is a good book.

I love that book.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I am reading The Spirit a book that is primarily about a Sasquatch ripping people's heads off but because it's from the 70s it's also about the scars left on the American psyche by the Vietnam War and also racism.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I knew going into the Hellboy cartoon movies that they had gotten the actors from the real movies to do the voices. Which is pretty great. But I didn't know that for one character who wasn't in the movie, they got Roz from Frasier to do the voice. Which is also great, but surprisingly distracting.

She did a decent amount of voice acting through the 90s and 2000s.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

I could appreciate the sort of psychotic ideological patchwork of it in the same way I could for 6 Underground - it's just that 6 Underground is just so, so much better at it. Like, Spenser Confidential is, at best, basically just an explicitly "Never Trump" version of just a WWE dtv actioner. It's 6 Underground where you have Bay full on going, "I'm literally going to remake/do a spiritual sequel to Team America: World Police."

Frankly, my better than/actually good version of Spenser is 21 Bridges from last year. Just the opening scene where Boseman's character basically asserts that, even from his role as Iron Man/Batman supercop, that, at the very least, 70% of cops are bastards, cuts to the quick a lot more effectively than just, like, whatever's happening where Wahlberg's beating up of a crooked cop is intercut with cartel assassins murdering an anti-gentrification activist. The penultimate scene of the film borders on a copaganda version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

The main difference is that 6 Underground is laser-focused on deconstructing "FAMILY" (as in Fast & Furious, every DisneyMarvel film, and so-on..) and the obverse "NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE" - those two motivations deployed to explain why a given action movie protagonist is able to transform into a superhuman killing machine. It all builds up to the reveal, in basically the last five seconds, that Ryan Reynolds is a fuckin' deadbeat dad who uses the trappings of "undeath" as a way to evade responsibility (paying taxes, the unglamourous reality of a long-term relationship, etc.) while still preserving enough vestige of "family" to retain his 'mere humanity' and avoid true radical change.

The basic lesson of Bay's film: action movie protagonists pretty much always have "something left to lose", and so never pass through that zero-point which opens up space for a new desire. Consequently, Reynolds' billionaire is fully satisfied with just maintaining the existing system. From there, the recurring joke is that these vigilantes are like Alice and the Red Queen, engaged in furious activity just to accomplish very little.

With Spenser, you don't get the twist. Spenser's ostensible downfall of course begins with his going to prison, and culminates in his smashing the expensive truck that represented his fantasy of independence. But it's all very theoretical - conveyed almost entirely through expository dialogue. So the actual focus of the film is... Spencer's fairly mundane day-to-day existence? The most interesting scene is, like, when Spenser's ordering some Mexican takeout and he's very indecisive. He's thinking about fajitas, but they'll take a while to grill....

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917960

Come join us in SAS where you can both watch a movie tonight and vote what to watch next week.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
A movie that really leans into that and is all about the regular mundane day-to-day of an action hero archetype would be interesting. I feel like you could go a number of ways with that concept, though comedy seems obvious.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

A movie that really leans into that and is all about the regular mundane day-to-day of an action hero archetype would be interesting. I feel like you could go a number of ways with that concept, though comedy seems obvious.

The problem here is that Spencer is a noir detective archetype, not much of an action hero archetype. So it's not particularly incongruous seeing him in diners and such. That, and the film is already listed as part-comedy - but there are no real jokes outside of a general 'quirkiness'.

Of course, that's still a loose description of Pulp Fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

McCloud posted:

I don't know what crustpunk is and I refuse to google it. I will remain hsppy in my ignorancy.

It's exactly what it sounds like. Imagine someone who thinks that not washing themself or their clothes is fighting the man. That's what a crustpunk is.