Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

yuming posted:

I have reached semantic satiation with the term "Distance Learning Plan." :sparkles:

I like Somberbreo's posts as town. Lumpen is neutral to me. Grandi feels town.

I voted Opop because I had vague feeling but his explanation makes sense

Right now I feel suspicious of Mr. Humalong for sideline posts that don't meaningfully engage. ##vote Mr. Humalong

yes welcome to mafia glad you decided to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Your Personal Muse posted:

To answer your question: it doesn’t matter if you think my vote is useless. It matters what you think that useless vote means with regard to my alignment or anyone else’s alignment. Of course I disagree my vote is useless, but that’s irrelevant.

Do you think RF is scum?

Not this early in the game. If we were near the end of d1 and I could say the same thing (only reacted to Lumpen, no alignment call) that would be different. But at ~24 hours into the game it's still a wait and see for me.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Grandicap posted:

What are you seeing on Lumpen, I see a lovely vote and some content game. Both read null to me. And I really like this post from him

It's like asking the questions looking for the right things.

How does Lumpen asking what my meta is indicate town to you? At best it's nothing, at worst it's pointless fake participation. Granted, I think meta is largely bullshit because it often ignores context.

I don't really feel like pushing Lumpen yet but I don't agree with your town read on him and I'm looking to understand why you feel that way.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

yuming posted:

Hal, haven't you claimed miller as scum before? Asking for a friend.

I don't particularly care for this weak push. If you're suspicious of Hal for claiming Miller then just say so, if it's a joke I feel like it's past the time for that. ##vote yuming

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lumpen and Somber sitting in a tree

S-C-U-M-M-I-N-G

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Lumpen posted:

MMT where are you? I was happy to see you joined and I’m looking forward to your participation.

I know that I just said I didn't feel like pushing Lumpen yet but what's with a lurker call-out this early? I imagine Lumpen will just say he's merely looking forward to hearing murmur's opinions but if that's the case, just be patient? There's real stuff to comment on and murmur keeps vampire hours.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Infinitum posted:

Lumpen and Somber sitting in a tree

S-C-U-M-M-I-N-G

There's a non-zero chance I would replace out of this game if I was scum with Lumpen :v:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

How does Lumpen asking what my meta is indicate town to you? At best it's nothing, at worst it's pointless fake participation. Granted, I think meta is largely bullshit because it often ignores context.

I don't really feel like pushing Lumpen yet but I don't agree with your town read on him and I'm looking to understand why you feel that way.

I do not have a town read on Lumpen. I think he is Lumpening it up and find people voting him for doing the same poo poo different day lazy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Grandicap posted:

I do not have a town read on Lumpen. I think he is Lumpening it up and find people voting him for doing the same poo poo different day lazy.

You said you really liked that post of his, that was what my question was about.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I mean, I know it's d1, but liking 1 post isn't a town read.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

And did I say really liked.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Grandicap posted:

What are you seeing on Lumpen, I see a lovely vote and some content game. Both read null to me. And I really like this post from him

It's like asking the questions looking for the right things.

Oh, poo poo, I did. Hmm.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Somberbrero posted:

I don't particularly care for this weak push. If you're suspicious of Hal for claiming Miller then just say so, if it's a joke I feel like it's past the time for that. ##vote yuming
I’m not suspicious of Hal I’m asking him if I’m remembering correctly.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

yuming posted:

I’m not suspicious of Hal I’m asking him if I’m remembering correctly.

Yeah fair enough I GUESS.

Grandicap posted:

Oh, poo poo, I did. Hmm.

You're going away for a long time you sick gently caress ##vote Grandicap

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Mr. Steak posted:

lumpen is coming off quite scummy, which is a contrast to how i normally read him (though i havent played with him a lot). its not that his contentgame stuff is gimicky, cuz i've liked it and found it helpful for town in the past, but this game he's drawing a lot of strong conclusions that have no clear reasoning behind them, other than sheer conviction. its very obviously coming across as scummy casing. particularly the shade on somber just feels like scum trying to knock down helpful conversation.

Mr. Steak posted:

my read of lumpen isn't based on meta at all, i just think his reads are bad.

what makes you think his "lovely vote" made with 100% conviction isn't scummy?

Ummm....

Lumpen posted:

##vote RetroFuturist
ContentGame has found the member of the informed minority for me to vote. Please join me in flipping RetroFuturist today to find out whether ContentGame's perfect eternal streak of accuracy will remain unbroken.

Lumpen posted:

Yuming seems Town.
Mr Steak seems overeager but not overcommitted. Based on meta this doesn't alarm me.
In my experience Leith is erratic regardless of alignment.

Somberbrero sending up this trial balloon about it strikes me as the most suspicious thing about the events in question.

Lumpen posted:

Whoa Nelly! Check out this gallant white knight leaping to the defense of Retro Futurist. Noted for possible future relevance.

I'm trying to follow your logic with all of this. Lumpen's vote for RF is bad, yes, but where are you seeing a giant red flag in regards to somber, and why does that connect with his "lovely vote?" And where is this "sheer conviction" you're mentioning? This all seems like standard "Lumpen playing his own version of the game" D1 stuff to me and I was expecting to see more in reviewing his posting since YOU presented this case with such conviction, but this ain't jiving as far as I can tell. Explain?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah fair enough I GUESS.

You're going away for a long time you sick gently caress ##vote Grandicap

Oh no! Hoisted by my own petard!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quidthulhu posted:

Ummm....

I'm trying to follow your logic with all of this. Lumpen's vote for RF is bad, yes, but where are you seeing a giant red flag in regards to somber, and why does that connect with his "lovely vote?" And where is this "sheer conviction" you're mentioning? This all seems like standard "Lumpen playing his own version of the game" D1 stuff to me and I was expecting to see more in reviewing his posting since YOU presented this case with such conviction, but this ain't jiving as far as I can tell. Explain?

"lovely vote" was grandicap's words. i was prodding him for vaguely calling the vote lovely, yet following it up with a vague town read. (which he never replied to)

im confused where you saw me implying i had a "red flag in regards to somber"...? my opinions on somber and lumpen as stated are simply this: i read somber strongly as town and lumpen throw undeserved shade on him which i read as scummy shade rather than wrong town trying.

if you just reviewed my posting, then why didn't you see my other post where i explain exactly why the RF vote is scummy too?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh, my bad, you said you reviewed HIS posting

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Mr. Steak posted:

"lovely vote" was grandicap's words. i was prodding him for vaguely calling the vote lovely, yet following it up with a vague town read. (which he never replied to)

im confused where you saw me implying i had a "red flag in regards to somber"...? my opinions on somber and lumpen as stated are simply this: i read somber strongly as town and lumpen throw undeserved shade on him which i read as scummy shade rather than wrong town trying.

if you just reviewed my posting, then why didn't you see my other post where i explain exactly why the RF vote is scummy too?

I guess I'm just not really getting your case. You've spent a lot of time going back to "well the shade on Somber was scummy" but that seems like such a minimal part of your case initially, which was mostly focused on the fact that Lumpen was...acting too confident? I think? You seem to be jumping back and forth between a couple of different points and it feels like you're conflating them together to the point that I can't keep track of them, which is making me feel like you're having a hard time keeping track of which opinions you're faking.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quidthulhu posted:

which is making me feel like you're having a hard time keeping track of which opinions you're faking.

meta comment: this isn't a problem i have as scum.

i'm not seeing the disconnect in my posts, so i guess i disagree. my read on lumpen was never predicated on him being too confident. that was just part of his RF vote that drew my attention, because it was loud and blatantly scummy (in the sense of "said in a scummy way", not "obviously means he's scum"). im sure i must have posted my undeveloped opinions on how bad the vote was, but then i reanalyzed and placed my vote when i saw that lumpen's behavior was scummy beyond just the flavor of his posts

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I think from now on any time someone starts using their own meta as a defense I am going to insist we vote them out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sorry my phone broke and was in the shop all day

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Humalong posted:

I think from now on any time someone starts using their own meta as a defense I am going to insist we vote them out.

erm, thats why i blatantly didn't. i mean, i put it cuz i thought it, but i thought my formatting made it clear that it's just an aside

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandwolf posted:

Lumpen, if you’ll remember correctly, Opop said something similar in the last game, and he was town. Not everyone likes dancing to your tune.

I was town the first time, too. Lumpen was scum both times.

This was all very recent to so lumpen is fully aware of it, and when pressed he decides to vote me.

THUNDERDOME

##vote lumpen

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don’t intend to change this vote, it’s me or him today.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

oh hi merk

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

This posts stinks of opportunism.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Do thunderdomes actually ever convince anyone? We have two days. I get the point retro is making and I get why he is taking that position, but it doesn't help discussion.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Infinitum posted:

This posts stinks of opportunism.

Really? It reeks of hardheadedness but I dunno about opportunism

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Retro Futurist posted:

This was all very recent to so lumpen is fully aware of it, and when pressed he decides to vote me.

THUNDERDOME
You knew full well how ContentGame works, and you knew what would happen if you didn't give names. I wasn't "pressed".

So yes, welcome to THUNDERDOME.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHU6K47qgc8

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

are the two of you really doing this right now

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

DON’T MAKE ME TURN THESE FORUMS AROUND, I SWEAR TO GOD

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpen posted:

You knew full well how ContentGame works, and you knew what would happen if you didn't give names. I wasn't "pressed".

So yes, welcome to THUNDERDOME.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHU6K47qgc8

this is so stupid.

other people have, for some reason, excused your RF vote as joking, but you're clearly doubling down. can you tell the rest of us why you think he's scummy without referencing your content game?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yo remember that time I was talking about dayvigs?

Someone please dayvig either of them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

Really? It reeks of hardheadedness but I dunno about opportunism

Lumpen is generating questions so he doesn't have to engage.

Then when questioned as to why I shouldn't policy vote him for doing pretty much the exact same thing he did when we were both scum in 2 post mafia, making 'interesting' posts so he could skirt by, he posts a wall of text about his own meta; which is just :wtc: on a stick to begin with.

There are also a number of other people voting Lumpen for their own varied reasons

Retro Futurist, seeing this, has apparently decided calling a self imposed thunderdome would see Lumpen likely voted off as the current vote leader.
Regardless of my current read on Lumpen (It's scum), this is opportunistic behaviour hoping to capitalise on the flow against Lumpen.

I would suggest that they are both some combo of scum/3P.

Either way I don't care who dies if they're going to double down on this nonsense.

Infinitum posted:

Yo remember that time I was talking about dayvigs?

Someone please dayvig either of them.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Retro Futurist posted:

THUNDERDOME

##vote lumpen

i do find this post bizarre though. why in the world would it have to be between you and lumpen? you have like 1 vote

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Retro Futurist posted:

sorry i meant ro quite this post

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

THUNDERDOME

##vote lumpen

This thunderdome is ill-advised opop

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Lumpen is generating questions so he doesn't have to engage.

Then when questioned as to why I shouldn't policy vote him for doing pretty much the exact same thing he did when we were both scum in 2 post mafia, making 'interesting' posts so he could skirt by, he posts a wall of text about his own meta; which is just :wtc: on a stick to begin with.

There are also a number of other people voting Lumpen for their own varied reasons

Retro Futurist, seeing this, has apparently decided calling a self imposed thunderdome would see Lumpen likely voted off as the current vote leader.
Regardless of my current read on Lumpen (It's scum), this is opportunistic behaviour hoping to capitalise on the flow against Lumpen.

I would suggest that they are both some combo of scum/3P.

Either way I don't care who dies if they're going to double down on this nonsense.

I think your suggestion that neither are town is a strange approach. In fact I am not a fan of this entire post that is essentially a recap followed by a wishy-washy stance on both of them with some 3rd-party scaremongering tossed in for good measure

##vote Infi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Somberbrero posted:

Do thunderdomes actually ever convince anyone? We have two days. I get the point retro is making and I get why he is taking that position, but it doesn't help discussion.

The beauty of the thunderdome is that in reality, no one is bound to it and you can actually just ignore it and vote however you want!