Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal

PizzaProwler posted:

Same question as above but regarding Frankish footmen throwing battleaxes.

Not on the same scale that the game depicts it, but they did indeed throw axes. The name Frank comes from the francisca axe, which they would throw while charging to soften up the enemy lines before impact. If blocked by a shield, the axe would get stuck and render the shield much more cumbersome; and there are reports of Frankish soldiers grabbing the embedded axes by the handle to pull the shield down and then stabbing the bearer in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Badass

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

You'll pretty much never see this in media, but the Roman legions carried javelins for precisely the same tactic - and legion javelins were specifically built with long, thin 'necks' behind the tip so the javelin would bend after hitting an enemy or a shield, preventing it from being readily pulled out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

How exactly does something being bent make it at all harder to pull out? Thinking about the mechanics of it, I should think the opposite was true.

E: ah, there's no evidence to suggest it was true in the first place :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Mar 23, 2020

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

You'll pretty much never see this in media, but the Roman legions carried javelins for precisely the same tactic - and legion javelins were specifically built with long, thin 'necks' behind the tip so the javelin would bend after hitting an enemy or a shield, preventing it from being readily pulled out.

The neck part was also made of lead specifically so it was soft. That's what made them so bendy; the other side of that was that bending after landing, even if they didn't hit anything, made it impossible to throw them back. One of the reasons the legion ruined basically everybody else was because a lot of thought went into how they operated and how their gear worked.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How exactly does something being bent make it at all harder to pull out? Thinking about the mechanics of it, I should think the opposite was true.

E: ah, there's no evidence to suggest it was true in the first place :shrug:

Not harder to pull out impossible to throw back.

It’s also a well documented fact so I don’t know what you are looking at

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
There is debate as to whether the bending of pila was a deliberate part of the design. It certainly was meant to pierce through a shield, armor, and into the enemy when thrown properly. This required a long shank which also makes it more prone to bending. There is mention of it being difficult to remove from a shield, but it could just as well be due to its deep penetration and long shaft.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Mar 23, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Considering how long the pilla was in use that’s just semantics at that point

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The first thing that came to mind for “iron‐sugar” was ferrous sulphate.

It looks a lot like powdered sugar when dry.

Hydrates get clumpy and green.

Ferrous sulphate is used to supplement dietary iron and it’s relatively easy to overdose on. When a kid downs a bottle of Flinstones, it’s the chief enemy.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
At least in Roman Republic times (I'm not super familiar with so much that happens after lil baby jesus) you have a number of references to pila being picked up and thrown back by the enemy. You also have pila being used a bit as a stabby kinda weapon, for e.g. at Pharsalus.

And both before and after these references, you have Gaius Marius supposedly experimenting with a pilum with a soft wooden pin replacing one of the iron ones, so it would break on impact and just flop around like a dead weight, and after the battle you collect the pila, repair them, and reuse them - a requirement that presumably doesn't make sense if this "only use once" feature of the weapon already exists, or was sufficiently reliable *? You have reports of pila often falling short when being thrown on flat ground (since you're only supposed to throw at like 20-25 yards out), so maybe that would leave them intact, and the damage/warping only happens upon impact with shields or something hard

* it could also be to reduce overhead on metalworking etc, i dont know enough about metals or roman manufacturing to say, but it seems unlikely. there's also no mention of him wanting to change it for any reason other than to reduce/zero out the rate of return of pila

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Mar 23, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mamelukes, like Janissaries, have an interesting backstory that Age of Empires II doesn't really depict outside the manual; iirc, both are different styles of slave soldiers. The original Janissaries were seemingly made to get around some religious rules or another, as they were non-Muslim children who were raised in a monastic lifestyle and taught to be elite soldiers, using the best weapons of the time. (including, eventually, gunpowder)

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mamelukes, like Janissaries, have an interesting backstory that Age of Empires II doesn't really depict outside the manual; iirc, both are different styles of slave soldiers. The original Janissaries were seemingly made to get around some religious rules or another, as they were non-Muslim children who were raised in a monastic lifestyle and taught to be elite soldiers, using the best weapons of the time. (including, eventually, gunpowder)

It's complicated but the general thinking is that you're not allowed to enslave another muslim, and even the enslavement of non-muslims was dogmatically problematic - early islam is actually comparatively generous to non-muslims living in their lands. In reality the rules get shifted or interpreted differently. The young janissaries were forced to convert to islam and I remember reading that this process was considered to result in the boys no longer being slaves (or rather, tax assets / war booty) -- might have gotten that from wikipedia though so take it with a grain of salt. "Slave" here is also a dangerous term because modern western audiences are likely to think of american chattel slavery, which is its own very distinct phenomenon and not super illuminating when it comes to slavery in other contexts

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The main difference is that although the Janissaries were increasingly influential within Ottoman politics they never quite managed to become the ruling class like the Mamaluks did.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
There were also the Ghilman who were a similar class of slave-soldiers, first employed by the Abassid Caliphs, and ended up being a major factor in their decline after they started playing politics and becoming kingmakers in Samara. They would later be employed rather more successfully by the Persians, who were generally able to prevent them from achieving political power.

I'm not sure if there are any examples of this sort of elite military slave caste existing outside of the Islamic world.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The original Janissaries were seemingly made to get around some religious rules or another, as they were non-Muslim children who were raised in a monastic lifestyle and taught to be elite soldiers, using the best weapons of the time. (including, eventually, gunpowder)

What's with the ladles though?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Eh, it ain't nobodies business but the Turks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samovar posted:

Eh, it ain't nobodies business but the Turks.

They're kind of conspicuous.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

I'm not sure if there are any examples of this sort of elite military slave caste existing outside of the Islamic world.

If you take away ""slave caste" then elite military becoming part of the ruling class is surprisingly common. You have the shoguns in Japan, the praetorian guard in Rome, the hird in Scandinavia, the normans in France and even the varangian guard that was supposed to be extra loyal to the emperor sometimes also acted as kingmakers (or emperormakers).

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Even today! A lot of nations, and not only in the developing world, have the military play a strong role not just in legitimising the government but also in the actual ruling of and/or serving in government

In the developed world now you'll find a number of countries where the key statespeople come from an intelligence background, which functions in a similar context. The military has historically been a key conduit for 'underrepresented' demographics (think foreign, rural, lower caste or even slaves) to gain recognition and power, despite attempts to limit access to (and the influence of) the military

It's actually kind of weird to have non-royal heads of state with science or academic backgrounds, to my mind that must be almost purely a modern phenomenon - right?

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 11:44 on Mar 23, 2020

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Sulla Faex posted:

* it could also be to reduce overhead on metalworking etc, i dont know enough about metals or roman manufacturing to say, but it seems unlikely. there's also no mention of him wanting to change it for any reason other than to reduce/zero out the rate of return of pila

Roman metalworking and blacksmithing was decent but their smelting was terrible (later communities quite profitably mined Roman ore tailings for recoverable metal). It's possible the pilum's bendable neck was a happy accident. Roman legions had forges as part of their supply train so I imagine they made their own pila, or drew from stockpiles at depots.

Re: pulling it out of your shield, bear in mind as you're doing this that the rest of the Roman front line is charging you. The javelins were a last-second disruption weapon, intended to break up enemy lines and counter-charges.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sulla Faex posted:

It's actually kind of weird to have non-royal heads of state with science or academic backgrounds, to my mind that must be almost purely a modern phenomenon - right?
Religious background was also a way to gain power. The various popes was so powerful that they could launch military campaigns (the crusades) and force kings to do penance. The celtic druids was also (according to Caesar) one of the most powerful classes in celtic society.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Guard in Rome never really became the ruling class. They had influence but never really took the last step for whatever reason

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Seems rational given how many wannabe emperors ended up getting shanked.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The answer is actually obvious but I missed it.

Unlike those other two the guard was the ruling class.

They could and did become emperor so creating a special position like the shogun or Mameluke did was pointless

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Angry Salami posted:

There were also the Ghilman who were a similar class of slave-soldiers, first employed by the Abassid Caliphs, and ended up being a major factor in their decline after they started playing politics and becoming kingmakers in Samara. They would later be employed rather more successfully by the Persians, who were generally able to prevent them from achieving political power.

Ministerials in medieval Germany.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

verbal enema posted:

Did the Mamelukes throw swords or has AoE2 been lying to me for 20 years i have to know this

THROWING SCIMITARS

No.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

oh no :smith:

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The Catalogus Librorum Prohibitorum, first appearing in 1754, was an Austrian directory of banned books based on a similar list created by the Catholic Church. It was meant to be a reference for booksellers and the authorities. It eventually became a convenient way for less rule-abiding readers to discover interesting books and was itself banned by 1777. :v:

https://mediengeschichte.dnb.de/DBSMZBN/Content/EN/Censorship/06-catalogus-librorum-prohibitorum-en.html

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

An excerpt of an 1876 speech by popular orator Robert Ingersoll, “The Great Agnostic” and a Union colonel in the U.S. Civil War, that I wanted to share because primary sources are always interesting and I thought that this is a great look into “waving the bloody shirt”, the post-war political practice of making emotional appeals to avenge the Confederates’ actions during the war.

quote:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, FELLOW CITIZENS AND CITIZEN SOLDIERS: -- I am opposed to the Democratic party, and I will tell you why. Every State that seceded from the United States was a Democratic State. Every ordinance of secession that was drawn was drawn by a Democrat. Every man that endeavored to tear the old flag from the heaven that it enriches was a Democrat. Every man that tried to destroy this nation was a Democrat. Every enemy this great republic has had for twenty years has been a Democrat. Every man that shot Union soldiers was a Democrat. Every man that denied to the Union prisoners even the worm-eaten crust of famine, and when some poor, emaciated Union patriot, driven to insanity by famine, saw in an insane dream the face of his mother, and she beckoned him and he followed, hoping to press her lips once again against his fevered face, and when he stepped one step beyond the dead line the wretch that put the bullet through his loving throbbing heart was and is a Democrat.
Every man that loved slavery better than liberty was a Democrat. The man that assassinated Abraham Lincoln was a Democrat. Every man that sympathized with the assassin -- every man glad that the noblest President ever elected was assassinated, was a Democrat. Every man that wanted the privilege of whipping another man to make him work for him for nothing and pay him with lashes on his naked back, was a Democrat. Every man that raised bloodhounds to pursue human beings was a Democrat. Every man that clutched from shrieking, shuddering, crouching mothers, babes from their breasts, and sold them into slavery, was a Democrat. Every man that impaired the credit of the United States, every man that swore we would never pay the bonds, every man that swore we would never redeem the greenbacks, every malinger of his country's credit, every calumniator of his country's honor, was a Democrat. Every man that resisted the draft, every man that hid in the bushes and shot at Union men simply because they were endeavoring to enforce the laws of their country, was a Democrat. Every man that wept over the corpse of slavery was a Democrat. Every man that cursed Abraham Lincoln because he issued the Proclamation of Emancipation -- the grandest paper since the Declaration of Independence -- every one of them was a Democrat. Every man that denounced the soldiers that bared their breasts to the storms of shot and shell for the honor of America and for the sacred rights of man, was a Democrat. Every man that wanted an uprising in the North, that wanted to release the rebel prisoners that they might burn down the homes of Union soldiers above the heads of their wives and children, while the brave husbands, the heroic fathers, were front in the front fighting for the honor of the old flag, every one of them was a Democrat. I am not yet through yet. Every man that believed this glorious nation of ours is a confederacy, every man that believed the old banner carried by our fathers over the fields of the Revolution; the old flag carried by our fathers over the fields of 1812; the glorious old banner carried by our brothers over the plains of Mexico; the sacred banner carried by our brothers over the cruel fields of the South, simply stood for a contract, simply stood for an agreement, was a Democrat. Every man who believed that any State could go out of the Union at its pleasure, every man that believed the grand fabric of the American Government could be made to crumble instantly into dust at the touch of treason, was a Democrat. Every man that helped to burn orphan asylums in New York, was a Democrat; every man that tried to fire the city of New York, although he knew that thousands would perish, and knew that the great serpent of flame leaping from buildings would clutch children from their mothers' arms -- every wretch that did it was a Democrat. Recollect it!

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/38809/38809-h/38809-h.htm#link0002

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 09:55 on Mar 24, 2020

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Guard in Rome never really became the ruling class. They had influence but never really took the last step for whatever reason

They had a lot of leverage in the Empire given that emperors who displeased them had a tendency to...uh...not survive long. You had to keep the Praetorians happy if you wanted to remain breathing. It seems that state of affairs suited them just fine. Granted the military is also part of what bankrupted the Roman Empire when it started to fall apart; they wanted more and more money which caused obvious problems. The fall was a complicated issue with a lot of causes but that was a huge contributor.

One of the reasons elite military units tend to take over and get a lot of political power is because, well, what are you going to do? Kick them out? Then you have an elite fighting force you'll probably have to fight and no elite fighting force of your own. This is why lifetime, career soldiers actually become a huge problem when you have them in large enough numbers but with no way out of the military and no pensions. Better to be an elite military unit in charge of things than an elite military unit with no paycheck. In the case of the Janissaries this is why they were comprised entirely of kidnapped boys (Christians, typically) that were trained hard and then forbidden from marrying or learning trades. Once you were a Janissary you were a Janissary for life. This lasted a while but as all things do it eroded over time until they weren't the elite fighting force they used to be.

Originally though being a Janissary was a pretty sweet gig in a lot of ways. While they were legally slaves they were actually paid a salary and well taken care of; far better than a common peasant or soldier would expect. They got a ton of status as well as influence. The snag was that they became too big and too powerful over time. While originally they were a modernized fighting force that was a poo poo storm to deal with they became complacent and tended to throw a revolt if you tried to change them in any way, even if that meant modernizing their tactics. This is part of why the Ottoman Empire had problems late in its existence; their formerly elite fighting force was behind technologically, not as elite as they used to be compared to other countries, and tended to throw rebellions for any excuse they could find. Kind of hard to fight off invaders when your "best" soldiers are a bunch of disloyal pricks who might just decide to fight you instead of the other team.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Other than the picture you posted, what ladles were you referencing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Other than the picture you posted, what ladles were you referencing

Well you could start with that one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My guess would be company cooks for their unit.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The symbolism of cooking and eating together was significant to the Janissaries. The leader of an orta (analogue to a battalion) was called chorbaji, literally “soup maker”. It’s still used in Turkish as slang for “boss”. Some variants of their headgear included spoons as part of their military dress. The symbolic kazan (cauldron) was important to an orta, similar in some ways to a Roman legion’s Aquila. Tipping it over was a sign of discontent and the phrase kazan kaldırmak, “raising the cauldron” is still used to mean mutiny or rocking the boat.

It goes deeper than this. For example, some of the officer ranks went into more kitchen roles like “scullion” or “baker”, and the Sultan could be referred to as “the father who feeds us”. It’s definitely worthy of an effort post by someone who knows the topic.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Mar 24, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The symbolism of cooking and eating together was significant to the Janissaries. The leader of an orta (analogue to a battalion) was called chorbaji, literally “soup maker”. It’s still used in Turkish as slang for “boss”. Some variants of their headgear included spoons as part of their military dress. The symbolic kazan (cauldron) was important to an orta, similar in some ways to a Roman legion’s Aquila. Tipping it over was a sign of discontent and the phrase kazan kaldırmak, “raising the cauldron” is still used to mean mutiny or rocking the boat.

Did they kill dudes with the ladles though?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

My guess would be company cooks for their unit.

If I know my French, the dude with the ceremonial frying pan is the Captain of the entire Janissaries. I love the symbolism, I would love to know more!

Now I kinda want to see a military junta which uses cooking utensils for decoration, instead of the usual fascist eagle-themed regalia :haw:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Did they kill dudes with the ladles though?

Honestly considering how heavy duty those things look to be, odds are decent that at least once some poor schmuck had their skull turned concave with one of those

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the reasons elite military units tend to take over and get a lot of political power is because, well, what are you going to do? Kick them out? Then you have an elite fighting force you'll probably have to fight and no elite fighting force of your own.

This is why Saudi Arabia has a special branch of the military specifically dedicated to protecting the royal family from the other branches of the Saudi military, as a precaution against a coup.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly considering how heavy duty those things look to be, odds are decent that at least once some poor schmuck had their skull turned concave with one of those

Kevin Vickers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

barbecue at the folks posted:

If I know my French, the dude with the ceremonial frying pan is the Captain of the entire Janissaries.

Yup, it says:

Cazân (kazan), cooking pot of the Janissaries
Cachic-dâr (not sure what the modern transliteration is), bearer of the pot ladle or Tchorbâdjy (chorbaji), captain of the Janissaries

Cythereal posted:

This is why Saudi Arabia has a special branch of the military specifically dedicated to protecting the royal family from the other branches of the Saudi military, as a precaution against a coup.

It's also why rulers tend to recruit foreigners as part of those elite troups. No local ties of loyalty.