Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What place is that so we can refuse to do business with them because they are putting me (read: the customer) in danger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

What are the odds it'll go from means tested to just 'gently caress it here's $2000' as our society slowly falls apart over the next few weeks?

They changed it. It no longer says "up to $900 every two weeks" it now just says "everyone gets $2000"
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2020/03/introduces-canada-emergency-response-benefit-to-help-workers-and-businesses.html

quote:

News release

March 25, 2020 - Ottawa, Ontario - Department of Finance Canada

The Government of Canada is taking strong, immediate and effective action to protect Canadians and the economy from the impacts of the global COVID-19 pandemic. No Canadian should have to choose between protecting their health, putting food on the table, paying for their medication or caring for a family member.

To support workers and help businesses keep their employees, the government has proposed legislation to establish the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). This taxable benefit would provide $2,000 a month for up to four months for workers who lose their income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The CERB would be a simpler and more accessible combination of the previously announced Emergency Care Benefit and Emergency Support Benefit.

The CERB would cover Canadians who have lost their job, are sick, quarantined, or taking care of someone who is sick with COVID-19, as well as working parents who must stay home without pay to care for children who are sick or at home because of school and daycare closures. The CERB would apply to wage earners, as well as contract workers and self-employed individuals who would not otherwise be eligible for Employment Insurance (EI).

Additionally, workers who are still employed, but are not receiving income because of disruptions to their work situation due to COVID-19, would also qualify for the CERB. This would help businesses keep their employees as they navigate these difficult times, while ensuring they preserve the ability to quickly resume operations as soon as it becomes possible.

The EI system was not designed to process the unprecedented high volume of applications received in the past week. Given this situation, all Canadians who have ceased working due to COVID-19, whether they are EI-eligible or not, would be able to receive the CERB to ensure they have timely access to the income support they need.

Canadians who are already receiving EI regular and sickness benefits as of today would continue to receive their benefits and should not apply to the CERB. If their EI benefits end before October 3, 2020, they could apply for the CERB once their EI benefits cease, if they are unable to return to work due to COVID-19. Canadians who have already applied for EI and whose application has not yet been processed would not need to reapply. Canadians who are eligible for EI regular and sickness benefits would still be able to access their normal EI benefits, if still unemployed, after the 16-week period covered by the CERB.

The government is working to get money into the pockets of Canadians as quickly as possible. The portal for accessing the CERB would be available in early April. EI eligible Canadians who have lost their job can continue to apply for EI here, as can Canadians applying for other EI benefits.

Canadians would begin to receive their CERB payments within 10 days of application. The CERB would be paid every four weeks and be available from March 15, 2020 until October 3, 2020.

This benefit would be one part of the government’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan, to support Canadian workers and businesses and help stabilize the economy by helping Canadians pay for essentials like housing and groceries, and helping businesses pay their employees and bills during this unprecedented time of global uncertainty.

Rutibex has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Mar 25, 2020

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

quote:

This taxable benefit would provide $2,000 a month for up to four months for workers who lose their income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

but if you were merely looking for work and couldnt find any because of the pandemic you're hosed. gonna go die now.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

get the gently caress away from my beans

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1242899751034662917

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Randalor posted:

What place is that so we can refuse to do business with them because they are putting me (read: the customer) in danger?

Tim hortons

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Randalor posted:

oh, sorry, the image itself was a link

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...nfortunate.html

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Slotducks posted:

Tim hortons

of course it is

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tim Horton's and Alberta, shocking.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tim Hortons and the RCMP may be the two least deserving symbols of our nation.

At least Beavers create wetlands.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
hey if you get sick from covid i expect you to use your 1 week of sick leave

wait no not like that

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

eric ciaramella posted:

but if you were merely looking for work and couldnt find any because of the pandemic you're hosed. gonna go die now.

Have you had a garage sale in the last year? Sold something on kijiji or ebay? Congratulations you are self-employed and your online business is being devastated by the pandemic.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

What are the odds it'll go from means tested to just 'gently caress it here's $2000' as our society slowly falls apart over the next few weeks?

here's hoping because I don't think I qualify since I was laid off ages ago and have been trying to find work

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
BC finally announces an eviction moratorium. Took them long enough.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Frosted Flake posted:

Tim Hortons and the RCMP may be the two least deserving symbols of our nation.

They seem pretty representative to me?

Tim Hortons is a lovely fast-food place owned by Americans that people consider good enough to go to every day and get their lovely coffee and junk food because they can't be bothered to do anything for themselves. Sounds pretty Canadian to me.

And what could be more Canadian than perpetrating genocide of the people that were here before Europeans arrived? poo poo, that was the official policy outright until like 1994.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Honest question, is it okay to order takeout/delivery?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism, so no.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Randalor posted:

I'm haven't been for weeks. The way I figure it, allowing people to get takeout was throwing a bone to the restaurant industry. It's better economic policy than it is health policy. Otherwise the government would have put 100% of restaurants and bars out of business overnight.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, that and the people living out of hotels, condos, and apartments with no real kitchens.

They'd probably have some difficulty too

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

No its not. You should be disinfecting anything you get from the store/delivered and ideally leaving it in the garage for several days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDuwc9KBps

infernal machines posted:

Well, that and the people living out of hotels, condos, and apartments with no real kitchens.

They'd probably have some difficulty too

you would be surprised what you can do with an electric rice cooker

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I probably wouldn't, because I too made one pot meals as a teen in a shithole apartment. That said, it's not an option for everybody.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Randalor posted:

Delivery has been exposed to less people than grocery store beans even with the customer limit every store is enforcing and I can't imagine the corvids will live after being cooked, the packaging and the delivery driver are possible vectors of infection though. Still not as safe as dumping your beans in the quarantine bin next to your front door for 3 days after purchase but I'd argue the risk is fairly low by ordering two dozen mcmuffins and just washing your hands after handling the packaging

edit: just read all the posts that showed up while I was slowly hammering my face on the keyboard, looks like i'm a idiot don't do this

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Rutibex posted:

No its not. You should be disinfecting anything you get from the store/delivered and ideally leaving it in the garage for several days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDuwc9KBps
Ah yes, the garage we all have.

edit: yes, I realize you said ideally. I'm just on edge, sorry.

odiv has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Mar 25, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~*lives in a 325 sq ft one room apt*~

i guess i'll just quarantine all the groceries i can't cook in the shower

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just stuff everything in a corner with a piece of paper with "BEWARE CORVIDS" scrawled on it and sit huddled in the opposite corner until it's safe

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I don't know why your making a big deal out of safely quarantining things in a 300 sqft apartment. I have no problem doing it and I own 30 of them!

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Ooooh you don't have a quarantine room? Oh ho ho that is divine. You must have a quarantine box then and the grocery ability to keep things for three days before using them? Oh, you don't? Mmm Mmm how droll. How simply charming. Jeeves, look at these poor's with their "limited capacity". It is to laugh.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just got out a measuring tape, I have 260 square feet of living space. I emptied out a cupboard to use for quarantining groceries.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

look at oysters rockefeller over here with a cupbord. lording their storage space over us

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

People are calling me out of touch with normal people in cspam. I'll show them by busting out a tape measure and doing an iso layout of my living space with quarantine cupboard

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
you dont need to quarantine groceries lol what the gently caress is wrong with you guys

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Rutibex posted:

They changed it. It no longer says "up to $900 every two weeks" it now just says "everyone gets $2000"
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2020/03/introduces-canada-emergency-response-benefit-to-help-workers-and-businesses.html

My head hurts trying to make sense of all the conflicting information out there.

I have no clue what happens to me as someone with 2+1/2 days of permanent hours that works on call shifts to get up to a full work week, but will no longer get any on call shifts due to well... everything’s closed. What about my many colleagues who only have one permanent day a week but work on call full time or close to it? Do we need to beg for layoffs to qualify for any federal assistance?

Why do the Libs always have to overcomplicate the hell out of these things? Stop with all this means testing bullshit and just cover everyone for a couple months.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

you dont need to quarantine groceries lol what the gently caress is wrong with you guys
Because it's unnecessary or because it's annoying?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DariusLikewise posted:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6723553/coronavirus-cruise-ship-surfaces-study/

quote:

Coronavirus RNA detected on cruise ship 17 days after passengers left: CDC report

Traces of the novel coronavirus were detected on a number of surfaces in cabins aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship up to 17 days after passengers disembarked, a new report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says.

The CDC report, released on Monday, said RNA from the virus was found “on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated” but before disinfection procedures were conducted.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Stop posting that malarkey

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

finding rna is not the same as finding live virus that can infect you

odiv posted:

Because it's unnecessary or because it's annoying?

its unnecessary, you could probably get it if someone who was infected coughed into their hand, touched something, that you immediately rubbed on then shoved the appendage into your mouth but contracting the virus from an infected grocery stockperson that touched a can the night before is impossible

DariusLikewise has issued a correction as of 23:02 on Mar 25, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Starks posted:

Yeah detectable is not the same as transmissible. There haven't been any recorded cases of transmission via mail. You would especially think we would have seen this in SK or other high-testing places if it was a major concern. That being said, it's still better to be safe than sorry and wash your hands after opening mail or wiping it down with a disinfectant, but not cause for panic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/health/coronavirus-mail-packages.html
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/transmission.html

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'll listen to the CDC, the organization that was saying Cornoa couldn't transmit from human to human in December.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I left work early today to go grocery shopping around 2pm. Extremely quiet but the entire toilet paper and paper towel area was completely cleaned out.

Why?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Yeah I'll listen to the CDC, the organization that was saying Cornoa couldn't transmit from human to human in December.

I'm gonna stuff you in a quarantine locker.

Just kidding I'm razzin ya bud stay safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Rutibex posted:

this is literally in the article you posted

quote:

“We don’t know if it’s live virus or not, all that we know is that it’s genetic material,” he said.

Vaisman said that based on other studies, it’s “unlikely” that this RNA would be from live virus, but that this information was “not explicitly said” in the CDC report.

In an email to Global News, Jason Kindrachuk, an assistant professor and Canada Research Chair in emerging viruses at the University of Manitoba, said pieces of viral RNA can remain on surfaces for extended periods of time, but “this does not reflect infectious virus.”

“As we know, the longest a coronavirus can last on a surface is nine days in a laboratory — you can’t get it to last longer than that,” he said. “So this identification does not have any impact on transmission on the risk for humans, it just simply means that at one time or another, the virus happened to be on their ship.”

Vaisman said it is also important to note that the RNA was detected aboard the Diamond Princess before it was disinfected.