Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Gatto Grigio posted:

If you want a good hard facepalm read the original script for Joss’ shitcanned Wonder Woman movie

It’s so gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How often does somebody land face first in her tits?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's surprisingly common in anime!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Lol he doubled down on it and said it’s just people mad that the script isn’t woke enough and not that it’s disturbingly creepy and fetishistic towards her.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Horsebanger posted:

Best part of it was that movie which was decent, but the series was hot garbage. It was just the only thing on tv at the time.

Next year we got BSG so woo I guess.

recognizing that Firefly is trite garbage but failing to realize that BSG is more of the same is like a fat person ordering a huge root beer float and going "do you have diet root beer I'm trying to cut calories"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

When the show was on Fox had a message board for the show, and I guess to get people engaged they had the actors post on it and make threads and poo poo. Adam Baldwin posted the most out of everyone and there were hundreds of shocked replies when he posted about how George W Bush was a real American man who was going to liberate Iraq and he got so pissed off about Firefly fans being liberals that he quit posting. He even chased down one poster on the John Doe message board that Fox also made in order to berate that person.

I think the other actors just posted the minimum number of required times and like posted banana bread recipes. Nathan Fillion posted about his favorite comic book store in Edmonton, Alberta.

2002 was weird.

Imagine if you were arguing on the Something Awful forums about what a moron Donald Trump is and suddenly an account named Ted Danson shows up all "actually Donald Trump is an even bigger moron than you can possibly imagine, let me give you some personal anecdotes", and later that night you see an interview where Ted Danson is like "Oh yeah I love posting in GBS, I personally paid for Lowtax's new cyberpsine, by the way do you have stairs in your house?"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Imagine if you were arguing on the Something Awful forums about what a moron Donald Trump is and suddenly an account named Ted Danson shows up all "actually Donald Trump is an even bigger moron than you can possibly imagine, let me give you some personal anecdotes", and later that night you see an interview where Ted Danson is like "Oh yeah I love posting in GBS, I personally paid for Lowtax's new cyberpsine, by the way do you have stairs in your house?"

Adam Baldwin was the first of the sunglasses-selfie-in-his-truck’s-driver’s-seat-avatar posters, so powerful that he started a decade before twitter even existed. Big divorced dad energy.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

QuarkJets posted:

recognizing that Firefly is trite garbage but failing to realize that BSG is more of the same is like a fat person ordering a huge root beer float and going "do you have diet root beer I'm trying to cut calories"

You don't know what the word trite means.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I only ever saw a little bit of Battlestar Galactica, but I saw enough to be able to say that whatever kind of garbage it is, it's substantially different garbage from Firefly. It seemed like one of those million-character dramas, which I don't think is what Firefly would've evolved into.

The BSG boardgame I don't really like that much. Maybe it felt better before the market was saturated with hidden role games, but as a Cylon, there's not much you can do to sabotage without immediately being spotted and thrown in the brig. It's kinda fun to fight off the cylons as a fighter pilot, but that's not the focus of the game and there are other games better for that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Adam Baldwin was the first of the sunglasses-selfie-in-his-truck’s-driver’s-seat-avatar posters, so powerful that he started a decade before twitter even existed. Big divorced dad energy.

This is powerful truth, he pioneered the drive thru monologue, if not in practice then aesthetic.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Horsebanger posted:

Best part of it was that movie which was decent, but the series was hot garbage. It was just the only thing on tv at the time.

Next year we got BSG so woo I guess.

Agreed, BSG was pretty great (at least up till the last season).

Feel completely opposite on Firefly though—series was great, movie was pretty mediocre. Felt really cheap with lotta generic hollywood expedencies. Idea behind the story was solid though, just poor execution.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

You don't know what the word trite means.

Firefly is a rehash of a bunch of Western concepts and BSG is a rehash of a bunch of space opera concepts. I think it's you who doesn't know what the word trite means.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Firefly lost me in the first 30 minutes. I didn't need to be slapped in the face with "this show is about COWBOYS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE" in the opening sequence to that extent and the main characters being unlikable shitheads to each other non-stop just sealed it for me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

QuarkJets posted:

BSG is a rehash of a bunch of space opera concepts.

Specifically BSG is Ronald D. Moore being REALLY loving MAD at how poo poo Voyager was.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

Lol

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

QuarkJets posted:

Firefly is a rehash of a bunch of Western concepts and BSG is a rehash of a bunch of space opera concepts. I think it's you who doesn't know what the word trite means.

Firefly is a retelling of a silly American myth from the 19th century. BSG is a retelling of another silly American myth from the 19th century.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

And there is nothing new under the sun. It's a trite criticism

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There’s some stuff that’s new under the sun imo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Agronox posted:

It's only trite once you understand the comparison, which that poster did not.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Agronox posted:

This

So, if firefly and bsg are apparently unmitigated trash, what’s a good sci fi space show you guys would recommend?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 3, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BSG has aged poorly because it's extremely of its time and reflects a very specific cultural moment, like all good science fiction.

Is there any decent science fiction that can't be immediately dated to a specific cultural context?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

This

So, if firefly and bsg are apparently unmitigated trash, what’s a good sci fi space show you guys would recommend?

Lexx

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

This

Community

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

OSU_Matthew posted:

This

It's foolish to assume that sci-fi, space, and television would all collide to make something decent, but

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I need to watch more Red Dwarf, someone should make a thread

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

OSU_Matthew posted:

This

It's been a while since I watched BSG but my recollection is that the first season is still Good. My biggest gripe with that was the angst between Adama and his son, which never felt particularly compelling to me but I might just have bad opinions on that part.

Uh, anyway, there's an anime called Planetes which I'd say is pretty darn good. It does a pretty decent job at staying relatively plausible in terms of being a near-ish future sci-fi, it's got people with varied motivations and backgrounds who are also generally decent sorts, and it also has something to say.

What's it about? Oh, it's about space garbage collectors. No seriously the show follows a team of people whose job is to clean up Earth orbital space.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Babylon 5 is good. It takes place mostly on the station but there's plenty of space travel.

Red Dwarf is good, at least the early years. You might want to stop when Rob Grant leaves.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Expanse S1 was pretty good but I didn’t watch S2. I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion instead and it is now all I can think about

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

:hmmyes:

Ok, cool, adding Babylon 5, Lexx, and the Expanse to my plex server so I can binge in quarantine!

Also planning on checking out the Lost in Space reboot on Netflix

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's been a while since I watched BSG but my recollection is that the first season is still Good. My biggest gripe with that was the angst between Adama and his son, which never felt particularly compelling to me but I might just have bad opinions on that part.

Uh, anyway, there's an anime called Planetes which I'd say is pretty darn good. It does a pretty decent job at staying relatively plausible in terms of being a near-ish future sci-fi, it's got people with varied motivations and backgrounds who are also generally decent sorts, and it also has something to say.

What's it about? Oh, it's about space garbage collectors. No seriously the show follows a team of people whose job is to clean up Earth orbital space.

First 2.5-3 seasons of BSG are excellent, and then it veers into a weird religiosity thing and takes a hard turn south. Planning a rewatch in proper order of all the little one off minisodes and movies here soon.

Not big on anime, but I really do love the premise of Space Janitors. I’ll give it a shot!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I need to watch more Red Dwarf, someone should make a thread

The recent seasons have been pretty good, Boys from the Dwarf type adventures; there's a TV movie that airs next week in England that I'm looking forward to ... uh, obtaining.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

:hmmyes:

Ok, cool, adding Babylon 5, Lexx, and the Expanse to my plex server so I can binge in quarantine!

Also planning on checking out the Lost in Space reboot on Netflix

First 2.5-3 seasons of BSG are excellent, and then it veers into a weird religiosity thing and takes a hard turn south. Planning a rewatch in proper order of all the little one off minisodes and movies here soon.

Not big on anime, but I really do love the premise of Space Janitors. I’ll give it a shot!

Season 4 of B5 is the payoff where everything comes together.

Also, I really liked the lost in space reboot except for how the kid treats the robot at the end and it ruined the entire show for me. That kid is loving evil and I can't stand it now.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Trite

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Well, I recently rewatched the series during quarantine and I have to say, it stands up remarkably well! The movie is truly awful though, and I feel like that’s where the cringey stuff about river hits hardest. The movie is a completely different tone, and the characters and their motivations hardly match the series.

Overall it would’ve been a much better series without the river character, like if they had just been regular outlaws. For the most part it just deals with frontier hardships, which is where I feel like the series has its best moments and lines. For the most part the writing is still funny, and the acting is great. 9/10 on the series, 3/10 on the movie

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

the doctor is even worse than river to be honest

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I got mixed up in the last couple posts and thought you were talking about doctor who and river song

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

River might've turned out alright if her plot had gone anywhere instead of just being a bunch of abstruse plot hooks around a weirdly depicted traumatized young girl.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I got mixed up in the last couple posts and thought you were talking about doctor who and river song

I mean, that sure took an interesting idea and got really weird and uncomfortable.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do sort of wonder if Joss Whedon and Steven Moffat go to the same dominatrix.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 10, 2020

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
For what it's worth 'The Killer Angels' is a really great book, I read it not too long after visiting Gettysburg which really helped to set the scene.

I once was in a board gaming group with a guy who had, if I recall correctly, the lyrics to the theme song in his email signature along with something about how it was the greatest show and was cancelled before it's time. In addition he had tattoos of something in the script of the title on the inside of his forearms on each arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

fuzzy_logic posted:

I had to see this and now you do too