Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

T-man posted:

Shut the gently caress up about your garbage movie for children and let's talk about real art: Steven Universe

if i had a kid i'd basically be steven's dad irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

T-man posted:

Shut the gently caress up about your garbage movie for children and let's talk about real art: Steven Universe

It's over!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I watched one episode of Steven Universe and my takeaway was that everyone was kind of genderqueer, and the main character was fat and dumb, but somehow the center of attention. It was both new and familiar. If I was 20 years younger I might have loved it. It was impossible to tell if it was meant to be funny, exciting or heartwarming, mostly because it was none of those things.

It can't hold a candle to Adventure Time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Steven Universe and Star Wars chat, always a winning combo

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Wikipedia is an insane rabbit hole if you're not careful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sondra_Locke

quote:

From October 1975 until April 1989, Locke cohabited with actor Clint Eastwood. They first met in 1972, but became involved while filming The Outlaw Josey Wales.[3][37] Late in the 1970s, Locke had two abortions.[a] "I'd feel sorry for any child that had me for a mother," she told syndicated columnist Dick Kleiner in 1969.[38] After the second abortion she underwent a tubal ligation, stating in her autobiography that her decision to have the procedures was due to Eastwood's adamancy that parenthood would not fit into their lifestyle.[4] Eastwood secretly fathered another woman's two children during the last three years of their relationship.[4]

legend

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Steven Universe has a high correlation between people who either hate their mom or want to date their mom

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

Steven Universe has a high correlation between people who either hate their mom or want to date their mom

i feel like the anime references will be looked at in retrospect in much the same way the Old Hollywood jokes in Animaniacs are

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

GANDHITRON posted:

I miss BENGHAZI 2

unironically same

gas thread ban op free palestine

e:

SlimGoodbody posted:

not incorrect, although I think it's 90% hate/10% date

thotsky posted:

I watched one episode of Steven Universe and my takeaway was that everyone was kind of genderqueer, and the main character was fat and dumb, but somehow the center of attention. It was both new and familiar. If I was 20 years younger I might have loved it. It was impossible to tell if it was meant to be funny, exciting or heartwarming, mostly because it was none of those things.

It can't hold a candle to Adventure Time.

I'm sorry you didn't care for it, but much like Adventure Time steven changes over time and eventually stops being fat and useless.

ending kinda sucked ngl

T-man fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 28, 2020

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Race Realists posted:

i feel like the anime references will be looked at in retrospect in much the same way the Old Hollywood jokes in Animaniacs are

The greatest of these was a 'look back at the stars' sort of documentary segment about 50s television that focused on Yakko hating Milton Berle because he was a joke thief. Then I got older and found out he WAS a joke thief. Like, god drat, who on the staff was like 'gently caress it, now is my chance to call out this hack.'

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

steven universe is just homestuck 2

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Bro Dad posted:

steven universe is just homestuck 2

I thought Undertale was Homestuck 2: A slightly above average RPG whose acclaim is supported by nostalgia and furries.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

porfiria posted:

My greatest legacy.

Thank you for your service.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
felix saying that the catalonian independence move is just "gently caress you, got mine" for a wealthy area to evade spanish taxes is my favorite take

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The commentary track was pretty funny I think, better than Rifftrax. Felix could have made his points about how aliens from other media would have destroyed every Star Wars military in minutes two or three times instead of two or three dozen times though.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Felix making up fantasy names at the beginning had strong uncle energy, while all the stuff about Halo characters being Star Wars characters was extremely flat-brim nephew.

The duality of man.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 28, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

thotsky posted:

Yeah, I’ve seen a couple episodes. I don’t get it.

Also Star Trek could totttalllllyyy beat up Star Wars. Trust me, I’m a Middle East subject matter expert.

I liked the commentary about battle tactics being napoleonic wars instead of insurgency when the gungans are fighting for a diversion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Speaking of RLM their commentary tracks are their best content but most people don't know about them.

And that Clint Eastwood story doesn't get less insane no matter how many times I read it. If you didn't want kids stop nutting in women you idiot.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Speaking of RLM their commentary tracks are their best content but most people don't know about them.

And that Clint Eastwood story doesn't get less insane no matter how many times I read it. If you didn't want kids stop nutting in women you idiot.

You can take his cum when you pry it from his cold dead balls

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Race Realists posted:

legend

If you haven't watched Sondra Locke's vanity project movie Rat Boy, I suggest doing so immediately. Renting it from Youtube was the only way I could find a legit copy, but it was worth it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Race Realists posted:

legend

Dudes rock

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:worship:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Man, I asked my 8 year old to put his multiplayer Splatoon match on the TV so I could watch and I am loving shook. It was like the sticks weren't even there, he was literally thinking on the screen. I used to wonder about Felix talking about reflexes in online games and if he'd started sooner, but I saw it for real tonight and I am shook. I literally could not reproduce what I saw my 8 year old doing, not if I practiced every day for the rest of my life.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Stringent posted:

Man, I asked my 8 year old to put his multiplayer Splatoon match on the TV so I could watch and I am loving shook. It was like the sticks weren't even there, he was literally thinking on the screen. I used to wonder about Felix talking about reflexes in online games and if he'd started sooner, but I saw it for real tonight and I am shook. I literally could not reproduce what I saw my 8 year old doing, not if I practiced every day for the rest of my life.

i could definitely beat your kid at smash bros

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

scary ghost dog posted:

i could definitely beat your kid at smash bros

Now maybe, in a month I doubt it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stringent posted:

I can’t get the motion controls to work for me (or in Zelda). Using the stick for the big movement and twisting the controller in your hand for the fine tune control is a paradigm shift.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Forceholy posted:

I thought Undertale was Homestuck 2: A slightly above average RPG whose acclaim is supported by nostalgia and furries.

They're all just YA fiction with the main premise that other people who seem weird or scary are really still just people, and you can be friends with them (or more).

It's a better worldview than Harry Potter at least.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

in steven universe everyone is gay and everyone is sad, and that's the kind of world i want to live in

BECOME AWARE OF YOUR OWN UNFULFILLING DESIRES AND SING

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

T-man posted:

in steven universe everyone is gay and everyone is sad, and that's the kind of world i want to live in

BECOME AWARE OF YOUR OWN UNFULFILLING DESIRES AND SING

The twiggy white lady creeps me out.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Watched an episode or two of SU and it seems fine. A lot of my friends got into it so I guess it gets better later.

Felix is both my uncle and my cousin, but that's kinda just what it's like when you're almost 30.

It's a shame that RLM has been *this close* to being good without doing stuff that sucks for a decade. I suppose it's just cause they're a little more behind the curve than I'm ok with at any given time.

Let's see, what else do people need to hear my opinion of? Oh, that picture of Quatre. We're watching Gundam Wing right now and every time he's on-screen I have to bite my tongue because the last time I said "I hate him, he blows" my girlfriend turned to me and replied "you say that every time we see him." Martyr characters are already hard to write, and doubly so if your show is a glorified toy commercial.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I hold that the first 25% or so of Steven Universe is a cute, funny children's cartoon with a nice color palette and some interesting concepts. And it just gets slowly worse and worse.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Stringent posted:

This made me smile. Your kid sounds dope, I hope you told him how impressed you were. That poo poo means the world to a kid.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

SlimGoodbody posted:

This made me smile. Your kid sounds dope, I hope you told him how impressed you were. That poo poo means the world to a kid.

I remember playing DDR once while on a family + my girlfriend trip to the mall. My dad said he'd never seen anyone move like that. It was, like, medium-difficulty 170BPM poo poo. I still remember that compliment to this day, like... 15 years later.

edit: Forgot the actual reason for that anecdote: Definitely do tell your kid how impressed you are with them. It means a lot to kids like me, haha. (forgets he's 35) oh...

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 28, 2020

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

My dad used to say he'd put his foot through the TV if I didn't stop playing and go outside.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Stringent posted:

I'm nearing the age my dad was when he married my mom :smith:

what's the male equivalent of a biological clock?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

cohsae posted:

My dad used to say he'd put his foot through the TV if I didn't stop playing and go outside.

let me guess "Strong Firm Handshake" Type?

i better stop before I let too much inner pain out on the thread

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Race Realists posted:

death drive

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

ThantosxEros OTP

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Chakan posted:

It's a shame that RLM has been *this close* to being good without doing stuff that sucks for a decade. I suppose it's just cause they're a little more behind the curve than I'm ok with at any given time.

It's probably the best pop culture criticism around, but I still have a hard time sharing it with my movie buff frienda because their humor is just a little uncomfortably "unwoke" still.

Which is bullshit, since their actual opinions on sensitive subjects are generally pretty good and would definitely anger chuds, but I don't feel like having the "sincere beliefs vs obvious irony" discussion with my lib friends.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Hooplah posted:

death drive

checks out!

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1243398833398108162

trying to figure out whether I despise Sady Doyle or neera more

https://twitter.com/jaywrong/status/1243532836264607744

https://twitter.com/jaywrong/status/1243993407539875841

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Race Realists posted:

Wanting girls to call you daddy during sex