Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
https://youtu.be/VLCxAJdCZGg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

This really makes me think they didn’t have a very high budget for the show, along with the cheap set design.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

i think there's supposed to have been a significant time gap between picard dying and being rezzed

at least star trek is really gay now which is good

I would agree, but Raffi is the absolute worst character, even considering evil Romulan incest lady and angsty Romulan samurai guy.

Heck random pregnant Romulan lady that was together with Raffi's son was a better character, and I don't even remember if she had any lines.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

HD DAD posted:

This really makes me think they didn’t have a very high budget for the show, along with the cheap set design.

They had a high budget but also had something like 23 listed producers, each of them had to get paid.

And beyond that every script went through 2-3 re-writes and then they had to reshoot things because apparently it was on an even worse trajectory when they started production.

Then they had to pay again to get Sirtis and Frakes to take on screen roles as a way to salvage things when it was apparent they made an unlikable turd of a show.

They blew the high budget on garbage.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DebonaireD posted:

Holy crap can you remember back to undiscovered country, when star trek was doing a nuanced take on the collapse of the Soviet union.

VI is a lot of things, but nuanced? Uh, no.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Timby posted:

VI is the last of the thinking trek movies, and a quiet murder mystery compared to everything that came after.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Timby posted:

That testicle kick joke was finely multilayered!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DebonaireD posted:

VI is the last of the thinking trek movies, and a quiet murder mystery compared to everything that came after.

Yeah, "Both sides have racist shitheads" combined with babby's first Cold War allegory is about as far from nuanced as it gets.

That mind-rape scene followed by a beat followed by Spock going "oh just call Sulu he'll know lol" ... Woof.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Timby posted:

Yeah, "Both sides have racist shitheads" combined with babby's first Cold War allegory is about as far from nuanced as it gets.

That mind-rape scene followed by a beat followed by Spock going "oh just call Sulu he'll know lol" ... Woof.

Like, yeah ok? That's all true? Baby's first cold war allegory is a better pitch than 99% of sci fi properties being made over the last 25 years!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mean TOS was often good when it was doing extremely blunt "two civilizations march into disintegrators based on war simulation dice rolls"-type allegories, it doesn't have to be super nuanced to be worthwhile.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Spiner really, really loves money.

I mean, really loves it, even though he hasn't needed to work for 25 years.

there are still tiers to "not needing to work"

i'd rather be Bill Gates tier than Brent Spiner tier

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

I was correct that this show was too dumb for "Picard dies and they name this ship after him".

I guess no one's ever really gone.

lollin.

Bargearse posted:

And like the Disney Star Wars movies, when they try to do something new and interesting, and try to break away from the nostalgia or at least try to be creative with how they use it, the fans drat near riot and demand more mindless action strung together with empty nostalgia.

"The fans", or people who are dumb enough to pay for CBS All Access?

People who appreciate the deep nuance of TNG, and people who are willing to invest in yet another subscription service, probably don't intersect as much as would be necessary to support a smart new show. Not to be all The Expanse but that's not (or at least less?) dumb as hell.

DebonaireD posted:

Like, yeah ok? That's all true? Baby's first cold war allegory is a better pitch than 99% of sci fi properties being made over the last 25 years!

I can't remember the source but I swear there's a saying by one of the big sci-fi authors that virtually all sci-fi books are garbage and it's always been hard to reconcile that with the good books being some of the greatest and most thought-provoking works out there. That was written about the pulp era in the 30s-50s. So this has always been true.

But this is also a bit silly. You can say there hasn't been a great (anything) in (many) years and it'll almost always be true. Because nobody knows what's going to be deemed a classic until 25 years later. Like I'd argue The Expanse is up there. I think season 4 is kinda garbage but Season 1 was great and who knows.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

revwinnebago posted:

Like I'd argue The Expanse is up there. I think season 4 is kinda garbage
Yeah speaking of blunt allegory...

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Timby posted:

Spiner really, really loves money.

I mean, really loves it, even though he hasn't needed to work for 25 years.

To be fair, he also really loves Irving Berlin!

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
:drat: :sad:

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Selected scenes from season 2. I think there's more leaks floating around; if anybody finds them post here

INT. LA SIRENA SHUTTLEBAY – DAY

ELNOR is seated meditating with his blade across his lap. He is now completely covered in red fur, with a bulbous orange nose. In the background, SOJI casually bench-presses a runabout.

RAFFI enters, trailing a cloud of snakeweed vapor, and does a sharp double-take upon seeing Elnor. She drops her vape pen, but Elnor swiftly moves to catch it before it shatters against the deck.

ELNOR: There is no need to be alarmed. Admiral Picard’s sage guidance has enabled me to discover important truths about myself and progress to the next stage of my Qowat Milat training. I am now Elno.

INT. LA SIRENA SICKBAY – DAY

JIVAS FAJO, Kivas’ heretofore unseen brother, is restrained to the medical bed. One of his arms is missing. PICARD and DR. JURATI stand over him, with ELNO guarding them to the side, blade drawn.

PICARD: You are guilty of kidnapping and enslaving over one hundred synthetic life forms. We have successfully located and rescued all but two. I’m going to ask you again… Where are those synths?

FAJO: You fuckers can’t loving do this to me! I have loving rights! gently caress!

A new hologram double of RIOS enters frame left, clad in sweatpants and a stained tank top, speaking with an exaggerated New Jersey accent.

RIOS HOLO: Step aside, JL. I’ll make this rat talk.

FAJO: Who the gently caress are you?!

The hologram begins untying his sweatpants.

RIOS HOLO: I’m the Emergency Defecation Hologram.

CUT TO

CLOSEUP on Fajo’s horrified expression as the EDH bends over, his bare bum moving menacingly towards Fajo’s chest.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

evilmiera posted:

Heck random pregnant Romulan lady that was together with Raffi's son was a better character, and I don't even remember if she had any lines.

First, I agree, second, I thought she was Vulcan, myself. I know it's all ROMULANS ROMULANS ROMULANS, but that was just the vibe I got. Could be wrong, I was just a bit surprised to see everybody that mentioned her think otherwise.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I’ve never watched Enterprise because as soon as the theme song comes on I start uncontrollably vomiting
Their uniforms look like poo poo also

I still can’t believe I heard it in a Kohl’s once.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

eschaton posted:

I still can’t believe I heard it in a Kohl’s once.

That theme was maybe the single stupidest decision in the franchise. A pre-existing contemporary pop song that fits right in with the blandly inoffensive clothes shopping background, surely this won't drive people away and date the show before its first episode's opening credits even finish

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

istewart posted:

Selected scenes from season 2. I think there's more leaks floating around; if anybody finds them post here

NEPENTHE, SPACE - USS Zheng He and the Federation fleet enter orbit above the planet. All ships except the Zheng He disappear, revealing them to be holographic illusions.

INT. BRIDGE

RIKER: Get Deep Space 12 on subspace and tell them we took care of it. Captain Crandall, I return command to you.

Captain Crandall enters, wearing a bomber jacket and vintage 8th Air Force Captain's cap. He is portrayed by veteran TV actor George Wendt.

NEPENTHE, SPACE - The image of Zheng He also disappears, revealing in its place a Constellation class starship with 3 rusty cargo containers connected in a row in the space between the warp nacelles. A nude pinup girl is painted next to the doors of the main shuttlebay.

INT. BRIDGE - Riker gets up out of the command chair, revealing that he only had time to replicate the top half of a Starfleet uniform and is not wearing any pants.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fornax Disaster posted:

NEPENTHE, SPACE - USS Zheng He and the Federation fleet enter orbit above the planet. All ships except the Zheng He disappear, revealing them to be holographic illusions.

INT. BRIDGE

RIKER: Get Deep Space 12 on subspace and tell them we took care of it. Captain Crandall, I return command to you.

Captain Crandall enters, wearing a bomber jacket and vintage 8th Air Force Captain's cap. He is portrayed by veteran TV actor George Wendt.

NEPENTHE, SPACE - The image of Zheng He also disappears, revealing in its place a Constellation class starship with 3 rusty cargo containers connected in a row in the space between the warp nacelles. A nude pinup girl is painted next to the doors of the main shuttlebay.

INT. BRIDGE - Riker gets up out of the command chair, revealing that he only had time to replicate the top half of a Starfleet uniform and is not wearing any pants.

Legit would have been a better scene.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I'd be able to forgive everything involving Jurati if they do a whole episode next season that's just her trial. Have witnesses, have a prosecutor that's a dick but also right because he thinks people shouldn't kill, maybe do some flashbacks during testimony if you don't want an episode all in one room, and then have a dialogue heavy debate about if killing can be excused if you're being indirectly manipulated by a PTSD vision that was forced on you by a secret agent from a rival government. Was she really in control of her actions? Do her actions afterwards help excuse what she did? Should she get no punishment, sent to a penal colony, or a kind of house arrest where she can't leave Earth for a number of years?

This is the kind of series that I'd actually want to watch. I know it's not going to happen but a man can dream.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Between the let's say "mixed to lukewarm" response to ST:Picard plus the whole Covid-19 situation I wouldn't put money on a season 2 being made any time soon, if at all.

I don't know anything though so who knows.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Picard season already 2 got a huge 20million tax credit from the LA fund for productions that should not need tax credits to film locally.

So somewhere out there is a binder that contains a plan to film Piccy Seas 2 on iphones on someone's thirty mile zone-bounded driveway-cum-backdrop and pocket a massive tax credit against already faked invoices and puffed up intra-company marketing fees.

Its gonna be great!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

DancingShade posted:

Between the let's say "mixed to lukewarm" response to ST:Picard plus the whole Covid-19 situation I wouldn't put money on a season 2 being made any time soon, if at all.

They can now literally phone it in instead of doing so on set.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DancingShade posted:

Season 2 was announced before the show even premiered.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
We all know what Season 2 needs .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNOeWrLxcOM

Actually....season 2 needs to prove it can handle him

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Timby posted:

Season 2 was announced before the show even premiered.

They would still have to actually produce it though

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Bonzo posted:

+ John de Lancie as Q.
Where do I throw my money at?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've been watching TNG again and drat some of these episodes are good.

Season 4 Episode 13 with Ardra (?) was great Trek.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Was the only good thing Wesley did, when he called Barclay, Broccoli?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

infernal machines posted:

They would still have to actually produce it though

I'm sure Picard's 47 producers could manage.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I've been watching TNG again and drat some of these episodes are good.

Season 4 Episode 13 with Ardra (?) was great Trek.

That was great, also straight out of classic TOS. You could totally see Kirk & Co rolling up and disproving the fake devil in court (unlike when they defended the actual one in court).

wesleywillis posted:

Was the only good thing Wesley did, when he called Barclay, Broccoli?

That was his best contribution but I honestly liked him pretty well later when he was just an occasional guest star and eventually had the balls to quit Starfleet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Lol. I almost forgot he dropped out of Starfleet because some interdimensional creeper who had been grooming him for years told him his destiny lay elsewhere (in the back of his space van)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

That was his best contribution but I honestly liked him pretty well later when he was just an occasional guest star and eventually had the balls to quit Starfleet.

i liked when he went to smart people heaven with his indian spirit guide

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Edit: Fixed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo

Blistex fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 3, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I wouldn’t give Pogo any views, he’s a racist chud.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

JazzFlight posted:

I wouldn’t give Pogo any views, he’s a racist chud.

gently caress!!! Is there like anyone left on the internet who isn't?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Bonzo posted:

Holy crap, he was in Elite Force 2? It might be time to go back and finally finish that game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

AntherUslessPoster posted:

+ John de Lancie as Q.
Where do I throw my money at?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMKRYH0jb4