Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bleusilences posted:

Well they though that this happened in a Hong Kong apartment complex back in February.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/02/12/coronavirus-outbreak-hong-kong-building-quarantined-amidst-fears-of-transmission-through-p

They couldn't find anything conclusive so it was by touching handles etc...

It definitely happened with Crystal SARS

You know your shitstorm is bad when the wind carries it to another building. :gonk:

quote:

The virus-laden air was then transported by prevailing winds to adjacent buildings at Amoy Gardens, where additional exposures occurred.

More on airborne spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That gun post is one of the better trolls I've seen in years so congratulations and great job.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I wonder what ever happened to that guy that was running an "industrial" ozone generator in his bathroom to sanitize his groceries.

Maybe that was in the china thread.

it was in this thread

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That feels like a million years ago now. Goddamn.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What does it mean if this pandemic increases your mental health?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Booo.... non-essential business were shut down on Friday, but I guess it’s only SOME non-essential businesses, so I still have to go to work tomorrow.

Like, our revenue has gone to poo poo and our hours have already been cut. I don’t know how my boss can justify us staying open when customers can only do curb side pickup and my boss is in the high risk category, what with being in his 60’s.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It means we're solid fuckin gold baby!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

We live in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
My psychiatrist is still doing telemedicine, so that's something.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nessa posted:

Booo.... non-essential business were shut down on Friday, but I guess it’s only SOME non-essential businesses, so I still have to go to work tomorrow.

Like, our revenue has gone to poo poo and our hours have already been cut. I don’t know how my boss can justify us staying open when customers can only do curb side pickup and my boss is in the high risk category, what with being in his 60’s.

Plenty of lead poisoned boomers are demanding that their businesses stay open. I'm being forced to go sweep floors while under a shelter in place order so we can own the panicking millennial libs that are crying like toddlers about the flu.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Big Beef City posted:

Yes clearly this man was just too dumb to stop.
I'm also 100% certain addiction or mental health issues weren't at play here.
Clearly prison will make him better and smarter now.

... :(

I don't know why you're drawing those conclusions from what I posted but okay.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Actual danger can be good for free floating anxiety. Gives it something to focus on rather than, you know, everything.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Plenty of lead poisoned boomers are demanding that their businesses stay open. I'm being forced to go sweep floors while under a shelter in place order so we can own the panicking millennial libs that are crying like toddlers about the flu.

Oh yeah, the health and safety poster that my boss made for the front door last week telling people to not come in if they were experiencing symptoms contained “virus” in quotes because he thought it would be funny. It really just comes across as flippant.

I ended up making an outdoor mail receptacle at work last week ‘cause my boss hadn’t made one yet. I wrote on a cardboard box and drew a little crow on it saying “Stay safe from Corvid-19!” because our mailman is a longtime personal friend of mine and he “owns” a magpie with it’s own Instagram account, so I figured he would appreciate the bird pun. (And he did, and took a photo of my box and tagged me in it because he knew I made it for him.)

Actually keeping a 2 metre distance from people at work will be near impossible, as my desk is within a few feet of the main thoroughfare. My boss needs to pass within a few feet of me to get to the printers or the washrooms, so I doubt we will actually be practicing proper physical distancing tomorrow.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Holy poo poo do not get a .22 "for defense"

If you are expecting to have society completely break down to where you are prowling the Target parking lot for pigeons to eat or whatever then get a cheap .22 rifle. If you are planning on having to defend your oil derrick from a roving gang of raiders then you want a shotgun.

I can’t even tell if this is just a better troll that the original post or not

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Meanwhile in New Zealand:

stuff.co.nz posted:

A drunk woman and her antics on the dance floor at a Wellington wedding are said to be behind a cluster of 12 coronavirus cases.

It is understood the woman, who had travelled internationally recently, attended the wedding at Boomrock in Wellington on March 14.

There is no suggestion she was aware that she had caught coronavirus during her travels.

A source close to a wedding guest said the woman had become very drunk and ended up kissing a man on the dance floor, infecting him in the process.

She then passed out, resulting in some of the group of guests who went to help her getting infected.

Meanwhile, the man she had kissed earlier went on to kiss another woman, who also got infected.

The bride and groom at the wedding have declined to comment.

The Ministry of Health has confirmed 10 Covid-19 cases from the wedding and a further two probable cases.

ETA: NZ has been in lockdown for five days now (and will be for at least four weeks total, likely more) so no more weddings.

Meander fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 30, 2020

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

LimburgLimbo posted:

I can’t even tell if this is just a better troll that the original post or not

I don't know but I'd bring more than a shotgun against a roving gang of raiders.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I want to know what to carry when I'm walking with my mother and brother. A gun is not going to happen and a knife means a. I'm too close
b. they would just take it from me

A big ol pike is what I need I guess but so impractical

I'm wondering if I take one of those nordic walking poles (we have a set) sharpen an end, and use it like a walking stick but know that I could stab an rear end in a top hat if he got frisky
They are very lightweight tho

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m running out of toilet paper but I do have a gun with lots of bullets so hopefully I can shoot the poo off my butt.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spinz posted:

I want to know what to carry when I'm walking with my mother and brother. A gun is not going to happen and a knife means a. I'm too close

I'm wondering if I take one of those nordic walking poles (we have a set) sharpen an end, and use it like a walking stick but know that I could stab an rear end in a top hat if he got frisky

Pepper spray?

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Spinz posted:

Cane Sword.

Extra bonus points if it can transform in a whip like Bloodborne.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BhindiBhaji Boogie posted:

It seems to be a quite an uphill battle to impress upon people, even at this point in the game, that social distancing is a necessity. Just when I thought the tone was shifting towards a healthy respect for the virus, somebody sent me a clip of up and coming Atlanta rapper "Ola runt" at his video shoot yesterday and it was disheartening to say the least

Would you share a summary for those of us who don't want to reward them by inflating their view count?

(e: if that link was to the rapper's page)

astral fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 30, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spinz posted:

Practicality has no place in an apocalypse. I suggest a knife belt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWGquxvqI_Y&t=478s

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Spinz posted:

Disagree. If I saw someone walking down the street with a halberd, I would leave them alone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lt Dan Ice Cream posted:

I don't know but I'd bring more than a shotgun against a roving gang of raiders.

I've been thinking about getting a .308 since it could actually be used for hunting (which I'm not going to do unless it was absolutely necessary), could be used for target practice recreationally, and would effectively drop a person if the toilet paper zombies progressed to the next level. I don't think things are likely to get that bad, but the disaster prep and sheer number of belligerent idiots out there has made me think that having a firearm again might not be a terrible idea.

But not a loving deagle.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I bought a $10 pink taser on amazon

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Platystemon posted:

It definitely happened with Crystal SARS

You know your shitstorm is bad when the wind carries it to another building. :gonk:

More on airborne spread.

So. Uh. How about them virus laden aerosol plumes?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is this thread now?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Misinformation and Weaponry: America, the thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've been thinking about getting a .308 since it could actually be used for hunting (which I'm not going to do unless it was absolutely necessary), could be used for target practice recreationally, and would effectively drop a person if the toilet paper zombies progressed to the next level. I don't think things are likely to get that bad, but the disaster prep and sheer number of belligerent idiots out there has made me think that having a firearm again might not be a terrible idea.

But not a loving deagle.

What should I get to protect my punkins from the Rona?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Until the virus is large enough to shoot with a gun, I think this current topic of apocalypse weapon stock up has gone for long enough. There are plenty of other things ongoing to discuss.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Meander posted:

Meanwhile in New Zealand:

ETA: NZ has been in lockdown for five days now (and will be for at least four weeks total, likely more) so no more weddings.

Man I don't go to weddings right now obviously, but I must have been going to the wrong ones.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

My aunt is a loving nurse at a Veteran's Affairs facility and she shares poo poo like this on Facebook at least a few times a week.

quote:

1) Drink lots of hot liquids - coffees, soups, teas, warm water. In addition take a sip of warm water every 20 minutes bc this keeps your mouth moist and washes any of the virus that’s entered your mouth into your stomach where your gastric juices will neutralize it before it can get to the lungs.

3) The virus attaches itself to hair and clothes. And detergent or soap kills it but you must take bath or shower when you get in from the street.

6) Wash your hands every 20 minutes.

10) The virus enters the system through the throat but will sit in the throat for 3-4 days before it passes into your lungs.

In addition ...
Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

quote:

1. Only high temperatures kill a virus, so let your fever run high. Tylenol, Advil. Motrin, Ibuprofen etc. will bring your fever down allowing the virus to live longer. They are saying that ibuprophen, advil etc will actually exacerbate the virus. Use common sense and don't let fever go over 103 or 104 if you got the guts. If it gets higher than that take your tylenol, not ibuprophen or advil to keep it regulated. It helps to keep house warm and cover up with blankets so body does not have to work so hard to generate the heat.

3. You must keep your lungs moist. Best done by taking long steamy showers on a regular basis, if your wheezing or congested use a real minty toothpaste and brush your teeth while taking the steamy shower and deep breath through your mouth.

8. If your still dying go to ER.
I've been doing these things for myself and my family for over 40 years and kept them out of the hospital, all are healthy and still living today.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 30, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Spinz posted:

Maybe some Xanax? Or a thermos of warm tea could help, I'm not sure what people do to treat paranoia

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The fever thing is correct though?

Fever is one of the ways your body fights infection, taking drugs that lower fever without actually addressing the underlying problem is just hamstringing your body's ability to fight off the infection.

Generally you should only take antipyretics if the infection is one of the rare few things that does better at higher temperatures, or if the fever is so high that it alone is going to cause permanent damage (in which case you should take just enough to get the fever down to a more moderate level).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Piss is warm and contains ammonia, making it the perfect coronavirus fighting beverage

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

QuarkJets posted:

Piss is warm and contains ammonia, making it the perfect coronavirus fighting beverage

"drink a bunch of fosters" it is, then

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chief McHeath posted:

My aunt is a loving nurse at a Veteran's Affairs facility and she shares poo poo like this on Facebook at least a few times a week.

My dad shared all of this with me a week ago by e-mail. I knew every bit of it was bullshit.

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747
https://i.4cdn.org/pol/1585534474904.png :thunk:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

68 year old, pre-existing medical conditions, bible belt, dying in the hallway of a hospital due to lack of equipment and funds:
"At least he... told it.. like it was..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Lassitude posted:

Clinical trials starting means there isn't evidence supporting their use now. Outside of the braindead United States, physicians are being advised absolutely not to prescribe these medications. The reason more of these medications are being made is because you clowns are listening to your moron President and gambling on dubious science at the expense of people who actually need these medications.

No one prescribing it outside the USA doesn't seem to be the case based on all the information collected here https://twitter.com/aknappjr/status/1244076221563977740?s=21