Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

As much as I really like the first Omen, I like a lot more of the Lector-related media out there so I voted for that.

I'll admit I haven't seen Basket Case but I recently found out that it was the first movie date my dad took my mom on. If my parents hadn't seen Basket Case would they have kept dating? Probably, yes but it still feels like bad luck if I vote against it in the first round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Thoughtslime has a good explanation of how much Basket Case owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a45yD3e_RFY

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 31, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

Thoughtslime has a good explanation of how much Basket Case owns

https://youtu.be/a45yD3e_RFY

Okay I'm sold but why does this guy look like he's been crying the whole time

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Guys, I know you all like the original Predator, it's a 80's action movie slamming into a slasher movie with peak Arnold and Jesse the Body (a sexual tyrannosaur), Carl Weathers and that handshake, Bill Duke... I know it's good. But the rest are bad. Also, check out Critters 2:

I'm votin' Crites. The other close one is Jaws/TCM and I went with TCM because while Jaws is probably my favorite movie ever I like to pretend all the sequels don't exist. TCM at least has TCM2, which I love.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
gonna hold off voting until I watch Prom Night 2 sometime in the next few days, otherwise these are mostly easy choices for me

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Predator 2 has Gary Busey, tf you mean "it's bad"??!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea that Jaws/TCM matchup is a tough one. Jaws just had such a huge impact on my childhood. First Spielberg and first legitimately scary movie my parents sat me down and actually showed me(as opposed to stumbling on stuff on cable tv).

Still went with Texas Chainsaw, it's just too good and then throw in TCM 2 and I just think it's the more effective horror franchise. To beat it another franchise is gonna need more than one great movie in it, because the original TCM is one of the most perfect nightmares ever put to film.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Predator 2 has Gary Busey, tf you mean "it's bad"??!

The only thing I really like about it is how it imagines 1997 LA as a quasi cyberpunk dystopia controlled by Jamaicans for some reason. Well that and Busey, I guess, but I feel like the more you explain what the Predators are all about the less scary they become. I guess 2 isn’t that bad overall but I’m a Critters partisan.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't even like Pumpkinhead that much but the first Children of the Corn is such a mediocre boring movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna have to watch Critters 3 and Predator 2 for that decision.

Critters 1 is okay, Critters 2 is great, but Predator is a must-see movie, and it's a slasher where the teens have been replaced with an elite military killing force who have no idea they're actually in a horror movie. And it's kinda hard to separate Predator from it's behind the scenes documentary If It Bleeds We Can Kill It.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I am heartened by Final Destination's well deserved victory. Death's comin' for ya

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that Jaws/TCM matchup is a tough one. Jaws just had such a huge impact on my childhood. First Spielberg and first legitimately scary movie my parents sat me down and actually showed me(as opposed to stumbling on stuff on cable tv).

Still went with Texas Chainsaw, it's just too good and then throw in TCM 2 and I just think it's the more effective horror franchise. To beat it another franchise is gonna need more than one great movie in it, because the original TCM is one of the most perfect nightmares ever put to film.
Here is one argument I'm going to make: Jaws is accidentally a horror movie.

Not that it isn't horror, but I think if the shark robotics worked like intended than we would view it more in-line as a disaster movie of the late 70s albeit a really good one. It's really the Psycho influenced POV sheets and music that really push it into the horror category. I think looking in line with Spielberg's action films like Raiders, Jurassic Park, and Minority Report---Spielberg likes heroes who are not particularly powerful, often barely surviving over hardcore badasses. I think there is another version of Jaws that is more definitively action/disaster, but because Spielberg is copping Psycho and because he tends to favor vulnerable heroes, it becomes a horror movie.

And while it is a good horror movie, the original TCM isn't a disaster movie that becomes horror because it's evoking Hitchcock at his most slashery. It's a horror movie that at every turns defines the genre in a way that I'm not sure even The Exorcist does. The aesthetic, the sound design, the grotesque interpretation of the base fear of being eaten, the structure of the friends being picked off one by one, the urbanized fear that anything can be happening in the country... And it's literally doing it by taking the same source material as Psycho and flying in completely uncharted waters with it.

Jaws is one of the most important movies ever made. It defined the idea of the blockbuster. But TCM is essential for horror.

But also the sequels/remake average out to be better.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

If this is the one I think it is it's a major pro click. Arnold's "trick" arm measuring contest is worth it alone. Just a bunch of meat heads.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I voted Jaws after staring at it for 10 minutes.

I personally can sit through any shark movie (though not pretend shark movies like 47 Meters Down) so even though TCM has a good sequel and Jaws doesn’t, that didn’t effect my vote.

What broke the tie for me is that Jaws has the most iconic movie poster maybe ever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
TCM is possibly the greatest horror movie ever made you loving posers. Jaws has one good film.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

TCM is possibly the greatest horror movie ever made you loving posers. Jaws has one good film.

a correct post

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

TCM is also just Hard Horror, whereas Jaws has always felt tenuously a horror movie to me. I just see it more as an adventure film with scary moments, personally. Like it's a summer movie, not October viewing.

TCM, however, is just unimpeachable. One of the scariest films ever made, grimy and disgusting, full of pure and unfiltered id. The only other individual film in this bracket that can give it a run for its money is Night of the Living Dead. Don't get me wrong, Jaws is up there with the all time greatest films ever made, but when ranking horror films I gotta give TCM the clear advantage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Franchescanado posted:

I'm gonna have to watch Critters 3

Please God don't. Watch Critters 4 though, it's significantly better than 3 despite the two movies having been made back to back.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I voted TCM for bullshit personal reasons. I remember being about twelve, and my older brother and his friends were having a party, and around 3am/4am someone put on TCM. Everyone but me had been drinking, and passed out within the first hour of the film. So it was just my little rear end, a movie I had never heard of before, surrounded by about 10 passed out bodies, and it felt like an education, it felt like I was being initiated into a higher plane of horror. I remember vividly the scene where the family are gathered around the table, trying to help the grandfather wield the hammer, and my young mind was absolutely blown. Just as the movie ended, the sun came streaming through my windows, in a fantastic blue light, and I finally allowed myself to sleep. If NotLD made me a horror fan, TCM absolutely cemented my love, and made me chase that feeling ever since.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really like TCM. I didn't expect to. Not the first time I watched it and not a few days ago when I rewatched it, but I really do. And I'm struck by how it manages to largely avoid being "perverse" or "gratuitous" or any of the negative things someone like me might assign to the subgenre it defined but doesn't sacrifice any "brutality" or horrific stuff. Its just a super good movie and I watched it like the day after I watched Poltergeist and realized once again how loving talented Tobe Hooper was to be able to do so many kind of films so well.

But I like Jaws more. If I thought this was gonna be a contest I'd consider the "which is more horror question" or rush to watch Jaws 2 and TCM 2 to compare franchises. But I'd be truly shocked if Jaws is anywhere near this so I'm gonna be an irresponsible voter.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Please God don't. Watch Critters 4 though, it's significantly better than 3 despite the two movies having been made back to back.

It's funny you say this. I just watched it, and thought it was better than the original, but a small step below Critters 2. I was going to stop there, but I guess I'll check out 4.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre rules. Jaws rules.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre rules. Jaws rules.

Correct, but the Jaws series doesn’t have a moment where the shark types “FOOD” on a Speak and Spell when it wants him to spell “BOY.”

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The first two Predator movies are both good but only the first one is horror and Critters has way more good entries than you'd expect, so this feels like an easy Critters vote to me. The rest of these aren't even contests. I guess I do have to watch Prom Night 2 before voting closes to be sure, but one great movie isn't going to be enough to take down Tremors. I'm sad to be voting against Species in its very first matchup.

And Jaws is cool I guess but seriously it's up against TCM, this is an easy call.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Irony.or.Death posted:

one great movie isn't going to be enough to take down Tremors.
Tremors itself as a franchise only has one great movie, then the dad from Family Ties cashing checks as an almost-immediately Flanderised version of himself.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Correct, but the Jaws series doesn’t have a moment where the shark types “FOOD” on a Speak and Spell when it wants him to spell “BOY.”
The JAWS Unleashed video game from 2006 does have you swipe a keycard, though by breaching the waters of your containment tank, grabbing a scientist wearing a keycard off the catwalk above, then swimming over to the door and hit L1 to *violently shake* the screaming, drowning scientist in front of the door

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren:

Hello. You are hereby required for mandatory volunteer participation in the April Horror Movie Test Experiment Challenge.

Please follow our Very Friendly Counselor to the Cinema Discusso Test Facility, where you will be debriefed on how you can (and will) be the best Guinea Pig.

That is all.

:siren:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Tremors itself as a franchise only has one great movie, then the dad from Family Ties cashing checks as an almost-immediately Flanderised version of himself.
The JAWS Unleashed video game from 2006 does have you swipe a keycard, though by breaching the waters of your containment tank, grabbing a scientist wearing a keycard off the catwalk above, then swimming over to the door and hit L1 to *violently shake* the screaming, drowning scientist in front of the door

I miss that game. I never should have sold my PS2.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

Correct, but the Jaws series doesn’t have a moment where the shark types “FOOD” on a Speak and Spell when it wants him to spell “BRODY.”

Ahh, I see that you've read the rumored Jaws 5 script.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Splint Chesthair posted:

Oh my god I forgot about the Speak and Spell.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Shrecknet posted:

2 is still solid and 5 is actually really good, even in spite of adding Jamie Kennedy to the cast. Also 3 introduces rear end Blasters... so... its pretty important. 4 and 6 are terrible though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sarx posted:

2 is still solid and 5 is actually really good, even in spite of adding Jamie Kennedy to the cast. Also 3 introduces rear end Blasters... so... its pretty important. 4 and 6 are terrible though.

Haven't seen 5, but I'll cosign that Tremors 2 is good with great moments, and is only hampered by a smaller cast and body count.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Critters vs Predator talk

So here's the rub I'm faced with.

Predator begins as an action movie, with a squad of elite commandos doing a mission in Val Verde. They unknowingly walk into a creature feature with hints of a slasher. The entire second act becomes a slasher, and the entire third act is a Final Girl situation, with Arnold as the final girl. If Jaws is a horror movie, then Predator is even more of a horror movie.

Predator 2 is really loving fun. It's a flawed movie that is elevated with an amazing cast, a (mostly) good-looking production, and a fun story. Like Aliens, it has the impossible task of trying to follow up a self-contained film that's basically perfect. And while it isn't as objectively an achievement of sequel-dom like Aliens, it's a great movie that begins to fall apart at the end.

The problem is, it's an action movie and a thriller. There are horrific sequences, but they still are tonally closer to thriller than outright horror. Predator is structurally similar to a slasher. Predator 2 is structurally similar to Darkman, or kinda like Se7en if it had shoot-outs.

The Critters films are unquestionably horror comedies. They are closer to comedy than horror, though!

Are we considering AVP as part of the Predator bracket, or the Alien bracket, or it's own thing? Predator, without the AVPs, has four entries all it's own. As does Alien (plus the Prometheus/Covenant timeline). Cuz at least the first AVP movie is a horror movie.

I also haven't seen Predators or The Predator yet, so that still should be considered.

But the question remains:

Critters are mostly comedies (tonally) with horror. Their best is still a 3 star movie. Predator is an action horror movie, and it's a 5 star movie. Predator 2 is an action thriller, and I'd generously give it 4 stars, because it's still better than Critters at it's best. Without seeing it, I'd wager that Predators is still probably better than the three Critters movies I've seen, as much as I like Critters 2 and 3.

So it may be controversial, but I'm going with Predator.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The AvPs are included in consideration for the canon of both Alien and Predator

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

The AvPs are included in consideration for the canon of both Alien and Predator

Well then that just cinches it for Predator. AVP is still better than the original Critters. And I'm not a fan of AVP.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Franchescanado posted:

Well then that just cinches it for Predator. AVP is still better than the original Critters. And I'm not a fan of AVP.

He liked Critters 3,and then he said this. It's time to make a discreet phone call, I'm afraid.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

He liked Critters 3,and then he said this. It's time to make a discreet phone call, I'm afraid.

Critters 3's puppets have more articulation, and they made more of a point to make certain Critters more unique. For a little monster movie, that goes a long way.

I'm also not a huge fan of the intergalactic bounty hunter origin story of Critters 1. I think Critters 2 handles that better and also has a better grasp of the sense of humor. Critters 2 is the highlight of the series.

I still think the original Critters is better than the original Ghoulies for similar reasons, and is flawed for similar reasons. Critters has better puppets that Ghoulies, but both don't understand that the small monsters are enough for the movie. Same with Leprechaun. The titular monster should be enough for 90 minutes, we don't need secondary villains/heroes to propel the story if your monster is good enough!

Critters 3 does the rude bait-n-switch with the box art showing Critters infesting a city, when most of the action takes place in a neighborhood of a small town. So that sucks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AvP-R is offensive and horrible.

The way they treat the aliens is criminal
And I’m glad the Strause bro’s don’t get to make movies any more. :colbert:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Reminder that Species is single-handedly responsible for inventing the Chupacabra. What other horror movie can even come close to claiming a comparable influence on culture outside of cinema?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That's absolutely true and I hate voting against it, but against Hammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shrecknet posted:

Everyone needs to watch Prom Night 2 before voting.

I voted before watching Prom Night 2. But then I watched it, and Prom Night. I actually liked Prom Night more. A slasher I enjoyed and thought was very well done. Prom Night 2 is a trip. Not a good film, maybe a bad film, certainly a messy film, but a fun film.

Now Tremors is a good and fun film. And I get some enjoyment from some of the sequels. But that 1/2 for Prom Night I do believe has flipped my vote in the 11th hour. If I were just judging Tremors vs the two I'd pick Tremors. One good and fun movie over one good movie and one fun movie. If I could only watch either ever again it would be Tremors. But this is comparing franchises and in that case I think I have to go with the simple 2>1 math.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 3, 2020