Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
make sure to wear your Bush did 9/11 tshirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
set your camera resolution all the way down and take off your shirt.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
wear a clown outfit

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we just got forced to switch from zoom to teams and zoom was better. ui was better, app was more performant. if only it didn't have horrible security practices

Vomik posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cerv posted:

the implication that all of your colleagues already have a “wacky” shirt at home ready to wear is disturbing

it's an at-home version of something we did at the office, some people get really into it and have many wacky shirts, i don't understand people at all

Wild EEPROM posted:

wear a clown outfit

hey now i'm working from home, don't make me put on my nice work clothes

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

what more can you say really
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1244985949534199808

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

am i the clearly visible meeting id or am i the nihilist who puts "iPhone" as their name? tough call.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Wonder if that's a recurring meeting? It's not a 10-digit personal ID at least.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
we got a note from IT about zoombombing where people who guess your (static) room code join and share “profane materials”.
I had to double check that there wasn’t a thread in here about wardialing zoom numbers in order to show a man’s bottom.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hed posted:

we got a note from IT about zoombombing where people who guess your (static) room code join and share “profane materials”.
I had to double check that there wasn’t a thread in here about wardialing zoom numbers in order to show a man’s bottom.

Putting your nation's cabinet meetings behind a 10-digit code is indeed a secfuck whether you post the code or not

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i would hope there was a waiting room and dedicated call attendant, something my company does everyday

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you can require that the attendees are all authed to your org, too

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
one of the sales guys I work with used to have the “auto-enable webcams for participants” option enabled by default on all his Zoom meetings, and good lord that’s not a feature that ought to exist in the first place.

after like seven months of occasionally agitating clients - or more often getting people who had no idea their video was on until we told them - I asked why he did it and he was like “because I have no idea how to make it stop, I hate it so much”

when our company switched to zoom a couple years ago, the Zoom rep said on one call that it’s like their single biggest differentiator and people go wild for it in product demos and that saving people “the hassle” (which here is 1 or 2 clicks, I guess) is what gets them clients.

which is just unfathomable to me, I’ve only ever seen it make people unhappy. the fact that they view it as absolutely critical and will basically turn to malware tactics to force their way to the needed permissions is just crazy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao if you think the people who make software purchasing decisions have to use the poo poo they buy to get paid.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

Putting your nation's cabinet meetings behind a 10-digit code is indeed a secfuck whether you post the code or not

Zoom doesn't have end-to-end encryption

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

we just got forced to switch from zoom to teams and zoom was better. ui was better, app was more performant. if only it didn't have horrible security practices

The Teams web app is better.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

Zoom doesn't have end-to-end encryption

IIRC Zoom’s recorded meetings are obscure URL only protected

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

tk posted:

The Teams web app is better.

It has been working on Safari support without weird workarounds for at least 6 months.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Perplx posted:

i would hope there was a waiting room and dedicated call attendant, something my company does everyday

what about the current british government would give you that idea

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

duz posted:

what about the current british government would give you that idea

i mean from what i've heard of british parliament they do like butlers, maybe they have a web butler

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I think it's just called ask.com now

mystes
May 31, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

I think it's just called ask.com now

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://youtu.be/-X_SVNBH85I

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

double posting

https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/1245148192037011460?s=21

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

glad my laptop has a physical switch to disable the webcam (it actually slides a little cover over the lens)

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

https://mashable.com/article/star-trek-cast-reunion-zoom-meeting-id/

Good job, Number One.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vomik posted:

Surely the Big Dog America deserved 9/11 shirt.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Squinky v2.0 posted:

one of the sales guys I work with used to have the “auto-enable webcams for participants” option enabled by default on all his Zoom meetings, and good lord that’s not a feature that ought to exist in the first place.

after like seven months of occasionally agitating clients - or more often getting people who had no idea their video was on until we told them - I asked why he did it and he was like “because I have no idea how to make it stop, I hate it so much”

when our company switched to zoom a couple years ago, the Zoom rep said on one call that it’s like their single biggest differentiator and people go wild for it in product demos and that saving people “the hassle” (which here is 1 or 2 clicks, I guess) is what gets them clients.

which is just unfathomable to me, I’ve only ever seen it make people unhappy. the fact that they view it as absolutely critical and will basically turn to malware tactics to force their way to the needed permissions is just crazy.

It's for the same authoritarians who believe that Butts In Seats is the most important thing, and give thanks every day for the feature in Zoom that snitches if you switch focus away from your godawful meeting.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Volmarias posted:

the feature in Zoom that snitches if you switch focus away from your godawful meeting.

the what now

oh poo poo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

redleader posted:

the what now

oh poo poo

wow, I'm actually kinda glad we dogfood the cisco products we sell now

if webex does that I haven't found the bit in the admin portal that spills its guts about it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

not having cameras in my computers turns out to continue to be the best choice i've ever made

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i'm catching up on news and lmao zoom

zoomed past any industry practices, you could say

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i'm catching up on news and lmao zoom

zoomed past any industry practices, you could say

spying on employees is very much practiced in the industry

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Is nextdns a legit alternative to using a pihole? They seem to be fairly transparent and it's a lot simpler to set up.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Volmarias posted:

It's for the same authoritarians who believe that Butts In Seats is the most important thing, and give thanks every day for the feature in Zoom that snitches if you switch focus away from your godawful meeting.

i'm so happy we're too cheap to pay for zoom enterprise or whatever

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

Is nextdns a legit alternative to using a pihole? They seem to be fairly transparent and it's a lot simpler to set up.
unbound and void-zones-tools is a proper alternative

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

unbound and void-zones-tools is a proper alternative

awful lot of of code blocks and mentions of freebsd on that page

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

does pihole support DNS-over-TLS yet? my fortigate firewall does, it's p neat

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
cool cool cool

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1245350371876315137

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

that's more due to them allowing UNC paths, it meets microsoft's terrible definition of an RCE though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om1w4DVkkEU

and the reason that zoom allows it at all? well...
https://twitter.com/BillDemirkapi/status/1245271580852322304