Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Fart of Presto posted:

If you only get one, go for The Fate of Atlantis, but if you grab the Season Pass, you'll get both along with Assassins' Creed III Remastered and Assassin's Creed Liberation Remastered.

Hmm... I guess I'll wait before grabbing anything then. I've still got a lot of base game to chew through and I'min no rush with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This might be my favorite interface options screen ever:

Total control over the HUD is niiiiice

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
One caveat: we played sea of thieves on gamepass for PC for a bit and as far as I could find there is no FOV adjustment. My wife could not play it at all and even I had a few moments where turning too quickly made me feel a bit nauseated, and I've never gotten motion sick playing games before. I can only guess their settings are made for consoles playing on a tv because I was able to get around it by playing from a recliner set back from the computer monitor. But if you are at all sensitive to that in FPS games I'd be a bit careful.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 2, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Black Griffon posted:

Sea of Thieves is incredibly fun with friends (and some of my friends have had fun with strangers too). Heavy rec for when it comes to steam.

The bummer is that without friends it's almost not worth playing at all. The game looks amazing and sailing around is so much fun but if you're on your own you're going to be constantly contending with 4 man crews in loving battleships trying to take down your one man sloop because there's nothing better to do. I know it's not what the game is about but I'd like a PvE option or some way to play without worrying about a ganksquad ruining my time.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

My friends are fiends for sea of thieves, and I'll tag in if they need a fourth sometimes and have an okay time, but my brain has been en-smoothened by years of abuse and grinding cash and rep for hours for purely cosmetic unlocks leaves me cold

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Only if the game provides enough feedback to compensate, which they frequently don't.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When I play Sea of Thieves I don't even pay attention to how much loot I have because I already have an outfit I like. I just sail around with a buddy using the missions as kind of a light direction to go in while looking for peoples to shoot.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
For anyone like myself that was holding off forever, We Happy Few is on sale at it's lowest price ever at $14.99.

I honestly have no idea what the hell it's about but I've always been intrigued by that 1960s London meets Bioshock Infinite's graphics look that it has.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

StrixNebulosa posted:

This might be my favorite interface options screen ever:

What is a homeopathic timer? Does it give you vague reports like "oh it'll be done when that there tea kettle blows" or something like that?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Far Cry 5: that was the longest and stupidest thing I have ever seen in any video game ever, holy jesus.

"yeah we're just 3 dudes and a long walk back to our chopper we can totally arrest this guy without pissing off his literal cult"

I'd go on but that encapsulates how dumb it is, and not even the cute joke ending can make up for how dumb the premise is. Wow. I thought my expectations were low, but they were not low enough. Fortunately everything else about it is pushing all my buttons - icons on the map I can go clear, good stealthing, good action, and I can wear a plaid shirt.

I think I might be at the point where I'm willing to preorder the next Far Cry, no matter how dumb its premise is... I keep looking at Watch Dog Legion too, if it ever comes out. Hmm.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DrNutt posted:

What is a homeopathic timer? Does it give you vague reports like "oh it'll be done when that there tea kettle blows" or something like that?
Your magic potions (you know, craftable poo poo that makes you able to see in the dark and stuff like that) are called "homeopathic medicine" for some godawful stupid reason. It's doubly stupid because a: you actually have to put certain herbs and stuff into them, so they're not really homeopathic and b: they actually do something, so they're not really homeopathic.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

DrNutt posted:

In the Far Cry games you can choom some jenkem to get certain abilities for a limited time, so I assume it is the timer for those

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Gamepass version of Sea of Thieves is pretty windows-interface heavy for adding friends, so I'll have to see how that hooks into Steam.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I have a computer with a smaller SSD (237 GB) and a larger HDD (about a TB) for storage. Is there an easy way to put larger game files on the HDD, and is that worth it? I find myself uninstalling and reinstalling a lot of games.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I have a computer with a smaller SSD (237 GB) and a larger HDD (about a TB) for storage. Is there an easy way to put larger game files on the HDD, and is that worth it? I find myself uninstalling and reinstalling a lot of games.

Steam has a built in way to move games around, right click game > properties > local files > move install folder. I have a decent amount of SSD space but more disk space so I am usually doing this shuffling around as well to avoid deleting things I may not actively be playing but probably will again.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Tony Phillips posted:

For anyone like myself that was holding off forever, We Happy Few is on sale at it's lowest price ever at $14.99.

I honestly have no idea what the hell it's about but I've always been intrigued by that 1960s London meets Bioshock Infinite's graphics look that it has.

Not worth it. It has a cool idea and asthetic, but it abdolutely fails to deliver on any part of it. Its a garbage not quite roguelike/not quite linear story game and none of what they put in it is good.

You'll constantly juggle food and water meters while wandering around literally identical ruined streets, your weapons (which you have to craft) will kill maybe 5 enemies before they break, and the whole Joy pill mechanic only puts a lovely purple filter over everything, it all still looks like ruined buildings.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

explosivo posted:

Steam has a built in way to move games around, right click game > properties > local files > move install folder. I have a decent amount of SSD space but more disk space so I am usually doing this shuffling around as well to avoid deleting things I may not actively be playing but probably will again.
Can I play games off of the D drive or should I just shuffle stuff around? Sorry, not used to having a secondary drive like this, newer computer.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cardiovorax posted:

Your magic potions (you know, craftable poo poo that makes you able to see in the dark and stuff like that) are called "homeopathic medicine" for some godawful stupid reason. It's doubly stupid because a: you actually have to put certain herbs and stuff into them, so they're not really homeopathic and b: they actually do something, so they're not really homeopathic.

owl_pellet posted:

In the Far Cry games you can choom some jenkem to get certain abilities for a limited time, so I assume it is the timer for those

I think what I imagined was a lot better tbh. Just replace the in game timers with something that says "when the cows come home"

E: before any pedants decide that this is the day they are bored enough to jump in I know that what I am describing has nothing to do with homeopathy

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Can I play games off of the D drive or should I just shuffle stuff around? Sorry, not used to having a secondary drive like this, newer computer.
You can play games off any partition/drive. Open world games or MMOs which load/stream in a lot of data often are going to do well on the SSD, but there are tons of games where you're not losing much except a few seconds every time you load a discrete level or generally older games if you launch them directly from the HDD.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Certain types of games and generally newer games with larger asset files will take better advantage of an SSD's speed. If you don't want to be a huge micromanager with moving games around then maybe you can have your default installation location be your HDD, try the game out to see how it performs and if loading times are acceptable to you, and move the game to the SSD if you want to afterwards. Certainly have your OS be installed on the SSD though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DrNutt posted:

E: before any pedants decide that this is the day they are bored enough to jump in I know that what I am describing has nothing to do with homeopathy

no homeo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hiro Protagonist posted:

if you go into the main settings, under Downloads there's a Steam Library Folders option. You can create a new library on your D drive, set it as default if you like (for when you're asked where you want to install a thing), and then any games in there will show up in Steam along with your main library

so yeah, you can just play them as normal, it's just that they're installed on a slower drive. For some games this doesn't matter, for others you can do that Move Install Folder thing on a game to shift it to your fast drive while you're playing it, and send it back to the other when you're done

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

I think what I imagined was a lot better tbh. Just replace the in game timers with something that says "when the cows come home"

Honestly the most homeopathic timer would just count miliseconds.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hwurmp posted:

no homeo

path-etic!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The one thing that really irked me with Far Cry New Dawn, if you hadn't played Far Cry 5, you would get to a point in New Dawn where you'd just go "Oh this Joseph Seed is a nice guy, he's just a misunderstood guy." They barely recall any of the monstrous poo poo he did in 5, and turn him into this sad sack loser whose son has done him wrong. I couldn't pull the trigger any faster when they give you the option to kill/spare him at the end, but if you only ever played New Dawn, it would be easy to spare him since he's given so much unchallenged latitude to paint himself as the victim.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The one thing that really irked me with Far Cry New Dawn, if you hadn't played Far Cry 5, you would get to a point in New Dawn where you'd just go "Oh this Joseph Seed is a nice guy, he's just a misunderstood guy." They barely recall any of the monstrous poo poo he did in 5, and turn him into this sad sack loser whose son has done him wrong. I couldn't pull the trigger any faster when they give you the option to kill/spare him at the end, but if you only ever played New Dawn, it would be easy to spare him since he's given so much unchallenged latitude to paint himself as the victim.
That game goes some real lengths to avoid reminding you that at one point, his group did poo poo like forcing children to eat their own dead parents. The Seeds were all kinds of hosed up in a way that makes Vaas look calm and measured.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why does steam not sell wallet funds through amazon like every other retailer (i have amazon credit)

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

orcane posted:

You can play games off any partition/drive. Open world games or MMOs which load/stream in a lot of data often are going to do well on the SSD, but there are tons of games where you're not losing much except a few seconds every time you load a discrete level or generally older games if you launch them directly from the HDD.
Cool, thanks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's actually a pretty good idea to install your games exclusively to your D: drive if you have one. That means if you ever need to refresh your Windows installation, Steam can just rescan your library folder without needing to reinstall everything. Plus you can do more things at once because the read times aren't shared between multiple locations of the same disk.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

ShootaBoy posted:

Not worth it. It has a cool idea and asthetic, but it abdolutely fails to deliver on any part of it. Its a garbage not quite roguelike/not quite linear story game and none of what they put in it is good.

You'll constantly juggle food and water meters while wandering around literally identical ruined streets, your weapons (which you have to craft) will kill maybe 5 enemies before they break, and the whole Joy pill mechanic only puts a lovely purple filter over everything, it all still looks like ruined buildings.

Thanks for saving me some time. I knew this game must’ve been a dog because all the promotional material promises the moon and sky and nobody ever talks about it, but I’d never seen anyone confirm my suspicions.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Thanks for saving me some time. I knew this game must’ve been a dog because all the promotional material promises the moon and sky and nobody ever talks about it, but I’d never seen anyone confirm my suspicions.

I couldn't help myself and grabbed it anyway. Maybe I'll do a trip report post once I play it. Just started Far Cry Primal the other day though - too busy bow and arrowing cavemen in the head.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Happy to see Sea of Thieves is coming to Steam. I was always sort of passively interested, as I had the notion you could just sail the seas in your ship and just relax for a while.

threelemmings posted:

One caveat: we played sea of thieves on gamepass for PC for a bit and as far as I could find there is no FOV adjustment. My wife could not play it at all and even I had a few moments where turning too quickly made me feel a bit nauseated, and I've never gotten motion sick playing games before. I can only guess their settings are made for consoles playing on a tv because I was able to get around it by playing from a recliner set back from the computer monitor. But if you are at all sensitive to that in FPS games I'd be a bit careful.

Did you try looking to see if there was a config file? Usually when there are no options to change the FOV in-game, you can do via altering values in a config file. Then again, depending on how the game is set up, there might not be a config file available to change.

EDIT: After a quick search, it looks like they may have patched in an FOV slider at some point.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 2, 2020

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I played through the first part of We Happy Few a while back and didn't go beyond the second because the new gimmick was rear end, but Arthur plays pretty well and there's literally so much poo poo around to use that weapons breaking is hardly an issue. I guess it's hard if you're deliberately trying not to kill people? There's also some weapons you can craft and skills to get where combat becomes a non-issue and Joy is not even nearly as much of a threat to you as it first seems.

Edit: The story kind of sucks to see, tho, if that's what the main draw is for you.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 2, 2020

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I happened upon a streamer playing One Step to Eden and had to pick it up. This game is amazing, is there a thread for it? It's MMBN but faster, the learning curve seems like a cliff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hackan Slash posted:

I happened upon a streamer playing One Step to Eden and had to pick it up. This game is amazing, is there a thread for it? It's MMBN but faster, the learning curve seems like a cliff.

It's not specifically about it, but the roguelikes thread will NOT shut up about it, please go in there and talk to them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Homeworld Deserts of Kharak is 5 dollars at humble

five dollars!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cardiovorax posted:

That game goes some real lengths to avoid reminding you that at one point, his group did poo poo like forcing children to eat their own dead parents. The Seeds were all kinds of hosed up in a way that makes Vaas look calm and measured.
Good to know that Far Cry 3 remains the Far Cry with the best least Far Cry plot.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

This is the best Sea of Thieves thing ever.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Max Wilco posted:

Happy to see Sea of Thieves is coming to Steam. I was always sort of passively interested, as I had the notion you could just sail the seas in your ship and just relax for a while.
You can but keep in mind that if you just want to chill you will occasionally have to outrun other players who disagree with your playstyle, or fight off the kraken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

The real question is how much they're gonna charge for it on steam. I'm interested, but there's no way in hell I'm dropping $60 on a multiplayer only game, especially not when I'd be coming into it years late, ie prime loving spot for high level, have played 10,000 hours ganksquads to harass endlessly.

edit: another real question is if steam people can play with non steam people. Wouldn't put it past MS to just not let them.