Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

The boat my train is ramming is a government false flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
When people drive trains at boats it's a very very mad world.

Mad world.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is amazing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cat Mattress posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it were a sincere belief on their part. They're quite paranoid.

And speaking of ill-fated ramming attempts, this is kinda funny, and also kinda sad.

I enjoy that "train wrecking" is its own distinct charge apparently

Tag yourself, I'm the tan wavy line that is apparently China running in a circle

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/operatormaid/status/1245156355754901507?s=21

I’m the penultimate nuclear strike that barely succeeds in rebounding down to conventional war before the conflict then hits nuclear escape velocity.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It sounds like Half-Life fan fiction. "I never thought I'd see an escalation vortex, let alone create one!"

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FuturePastNow posted:

This has been posted before, but here's an excerpt of radio audio of Hueys under fire on a rescue mission in Vietnam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuuDWd8SL7A

“They missed the engine.”

“That’s no sweat then.”

Balls of steel.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

joat mon posted:

When people drive trains at boats it's a very very mad world.

Mad world.

I was about to say "Natalie Wood was so hot in that, but that was Wacky Racers. The movie that they got Wacky Racers from, only Peter Falk was the mutley character?"

Don't look at me like that

of course I've been drinking

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

mlmp08 posted:

I’m the penultimate nuclear strike that barely succeeds in rebounding down to conventional war before the conflict then hits nuclear escape velocity.

That is the most "I'm prescribed legal amphetamines" presentation I've ever seen.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Captain Log posted:

That is the most "I'm prescribed legal amphetamines" presentation I've ever seen.

So USAF then?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sometimes it's 2:00 a.m. and you have to justify your budget tomorrow.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

This isn’t an original quote, but the day we understand that slide is the day we win the war.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

It would give us something to do in the last .05 seconds before Armageddon, so there's that.

What was the GiP story involving the Davy Crockett?

"Six hours ago you were wooing frauleins in market square, now you've been dropped of with your platoon at a crossroads in the middle of nowhere with the order to hold out at all costs. Three hours ago, battalion radio went dark. Two hours ago, you lost contact with the company commander. Now, "HOLY poo poo. LOOK AT THOSE DUST CLOUDS. RUSSIANS! WHAT DO WE DO, SIR?!"

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

This isn’t an original quote, but the day we understand that slide is the day we win the war.

At least the slide that quote was made about had some resemblance to reality:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

I was about to say "Natalie Wood was so hot in that, but that was Wacky Racers. The movie that they got Wacky Racers from, only Peter Falk was the mutley character?"

Don't look at me like that

of course I've been drinking

Speaking of Mad4 World and airplanes and drinking:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

NightGyr posted:

At least the slide that quote was made about had some resemblance to reality:

:stare:

"If standard operating procedure coincides with our normal Work Flow it can become a Best Practice for dealing with Infrastructure subsets B through F which means we should write out a Mission Statement for rerouting the work lines from Constitutional Procedures to Tribal Governance in instances where we have done a carry through on our Outside the Box Common Knowledges."

:has eight figures in bank account:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It's like someone looked at McNamera's management of the Vietnam War and concluded that the reason the US lost was that they didn't have enough charts and process diagrams.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Nebakenezzer posted:

I enjoy that "train wrecking" is its own distinct charge apparently

One of those deals where you just know it's a 19th century thing that never left the books.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
Anyone who's still got access to any crap military powerpoints that are safe to post, please do. I need to reset my brain.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Captain Log posted:

:stare:

"If standard operating procedure coincides with our normal Work Flow it can become a Best Practice for dealing with Infrastructure subsets B through F which means we should write out a Mission Statement for rerouting the work lines from Constitutional Procedures to Tribal Governance in instances where we have done a carry through on our Outside the Box Common Knowledges."

:has eight figures in bank account:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV_UG60dD4

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Saber-metrics

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Any updates on the Roosevelt?

Homeboy got fired.

Every time a western nation does some dumb-gently caress thing like this, it makes me wonder with horror how hosed up the Soviets were to have lost to us.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Guest2553 posted:

Homeboy got fired.

Every time a western nation does some dumb-gently caress thing like this, it makes me wonder with horror how hosed up the Soviets were to have lost to us.

Soviet CO would have been afraid to tell his Chain of Command until he got sick himself and was running a skeleton crew. The Soviet CDRE, knowing he should detected the problem and replaced the CO much earlier would TAD new personnel from other ships to keep her underway. The polibeareau officer would have denied there was a contagion, and overruled the COs requests before they ever made it off ship.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The US-Soviet Incidents at Sea Treaty was less about reigning in each government than it was about reigning in ship’s captains and ornery fleet commanders from doing dumb/expensive stuff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S.-Soviet_Incidents_at_Sea_agreement

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

piL posted:

Soviet CO would have been afraid to tell his Chain of Command until he got sick himself and was running a skeleton crew. The Soviet CDRE, knowing he should detected the problem and replaced the CO much earlier would TAD new personnel from other ships to keep her underway. The polibeareau officer would have denied there was a contagion, and overruled the COs requests before they ever made it off ship.

Not unimaginable.

To clarify, the dumb fuckery was on the part of those who shot the messenger, not the one raising the alarum.

e. credit where it's due, bravo zulu to the Capt for going out like a hero instead of leaking classified info to his harem in a drug-induced amnesic episode while gambling with public funds or whatever.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 3, 2020

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Guest2553 posted:

Homeboy got fired.

Captain Crozier couldn't outrun the demon polar bear

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

joat mon posted:

Speaking of Mad4 World and airplanes and drinking:

Mad biquadrate world a good name for it, holy poo poo they should have cut like an hour off the running time

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Somebody weaponized the pepsi logo rebrand brief

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Who the gently caress puts a hand-drawn graph in a ppt? We'd have endlessly poo poo on any Lt for doing that.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hexyflexy posted:

Anyone who's still got access to any crap military powerpoints that are safe to post, please do. I need to reset my brain.

My favourite was a presentation on how to deliver presentations in a military context called "Power Point or Power Pointless?" presented on Power Point, of course.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

Who the gently caress puts a hand-drawn graph in a ppt? We'd have endlessly poo poo on any Lt for doing that.

"In conclusion, nuclear warfare in the shifting paradigm of the modern connected C4I battlespace is a land of contrasts..."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Godholio posted:

Someone high ranked enough that no one is going to poo poo on them for it :shrug:

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Guest2553 posted:

Homeboy got fired.

There was an autobiography from the mid-'80s that has thus far furiously resisted all my efforts to google it, written by a Red Army officer who decided he'd Had Enough Of All This and defected by just sort of... walking to the American Zone and turning himself in at the embassy, as I recall. His stories of how ludicrous it was growing up under Stalinism would have been laughed off the Sci-Fi Paperback section at an airport newsstand during the Red Scare, they were just so completely gobsmacking in their absurdity. The whole thing was full of lurid bureaucratic stupidity, but the one story that's really stuck with me was how he worked on a collective farm as a kid and was tasked with driving a tanker truck to the regional distribution center to pick up the thousands of gallons of liquid fertilizer the government required all the farms to use, and as soon as the hundreds of trucks left the facility they would drive around the nearest hill and line up to dump all the poo poo in the river, because it was so toxic that if they tried to put it on their fields it would burn out the soil and they'd never be able to grow anything there again. Millions of gallons of intensely poisonous helljuice dumped directly into a river-- which was a sterile, foul-smelling sludge ditch for many miles downstream-- multiple times a year because if anyone involved had refused to go pick the poo poo up they would've been gulag'd in a heartbeat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Memento posted:

Someone high ranked enough that no one is going to poo poo on them for it :shrug:

Those people don't make powerpoints, they might stand in front of them and give the brief.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Proper Kerni ng posted:

There was an autobiography from the mid-'80s that has thus far furiously resisted all my efforts to google it, written by a Red Army officer who decided he'd Had Enough Of All This and defected by just sort of... walking to the American Zone and turning himself in at the embassy, as I recall. His stories of how ludicrous it was growing up under Stalinism would have been laughed off the Sci-Fi Paperback section at an airport newsstand during the Red Scare, they were just so completely gobsmacking in their absurdity. The whole thing was full of lurid bureaucratic stupidity, but the one story that's really stuck with me was how he worked on a collective farm as a kid and was tasked with driving a tanker truck to the regional distribution center to pick up the thousands of gallons of liquid fertilizer the government required all the farms to use, and as soon as the hundreds of trucks left the facility they would drive around the nearest hill and line up to dump all the poo poo in the river, because it was so toxic that if they tried to put it on their fields it would burn out the soil and they'd never be able to grow anything there again. Millions of gallons of intensely poisonous helljuice dumped directly into a river-- which was a sterile, foul-smelling sludge ditch for many miles downstream-- multiple times a year because if anyone involved had refused to go pick the poo poo up they would've been gulag'd in a heartbeat.

The 'Liberators'; My Life in the Soviet Army, By Viktor Suvorov?

quote:

So young Suvorov, like members of other collectives, was given the job of picking up the fertilizer allotment and getting rid of it as fast as possible. The favored dumping place was the Dnieper River. So far so good - everybody had met his obligations to the state, and pollution is not a major ideological offense. Unfortunately for Mr. Suvorov, however, he decided to pour some remaining fertilizer on his tiny private plot, thereby ruining it and with it his chances of surviving the winter. So he faced a choice: ''I could end up in jail, where the food is free, or I could become an officer, where the food is also free.''

joat mon fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 3, 2020

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Welp, I know what I'd be reading if the libraries weren't all closed for Rona.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

joat mon posted:

The 'Liberators'; My Life in the Soviet Army, By Viktor Suvorov?
It was definitely The "Liberators" and may also have included Inside The Soviet Army, thank you!

It's been like 35 years, I might have actually read both of them at the same time and they seem to cover some of the same ground. As a teenager I was obsessed with the different ways different governments manage to make the same stupid mistakes for different reasons, I devoured that sort of thing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Proper Kerni ng posted:

It was definitely The "Liberators" and may also have included Inside The Soviet Army, thank you!

It's been like 35 years, I might have actually read both of them at the same time and they seem to cover some of the same ground. As a teenager I was obsessed with the different ways different governments manage to make the same stupid mistakes for different reasons, I devoured that sort of thing.

Suvorov had a great ghost writer for his English-language publications, they're all extremely readable. He has, however, been caught out as a bullshit artist. Inside the Soviet Army is a great book and very informative, but he claims the Red Army had some vehicles that never existed, like a ~122mm SP automatic mortar that'd be super handy to have. but never existed. So his "Inside" books are useful, but have great glaring flaws. His personal experiences books like 'The Liberators'" must therefore be taken with a larger than usual grain of salt to allow for the "no poo poo, there I was" factor. His story that Stalin was preparing to invade Germany and got pre-empted can't be taken seriously at all.

tl;dr His books are fun reads, but often bullshit.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Warbadger posted:

Pretty sure Londo Mollari was talking about aliens building the pyramids last time I saw the History Channel.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The BYOB ship has landed

(traveling BYOB thread, visiting TFR)

LInk for all you weirdos who just browse by bookmarks:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918699&pagenumber=9#lastpost