Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:stare: OH MY GOD IT'S DRILLER

Ok, I have to watch this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Thank you for this excellent effortpost.

Schwarzwald posted:

The first episode was very promising.

This was my experience of the 2011 Thundercats series. The pilot gave the impression of a show made by fans of the original toy commercial series who had just finished binging Avatar, and while it wasn't perfect is was still pretty promising. Then the subsequent episodes just kind of fell flat. I think I only watched maybe three or four of them before I gave up on it.

I'll have to check out Thundercats Roar at some point. It gives me the impression of something made by fans of the original who just finished binging Adventure Time instead, which is less my thing, but what I've seen of it looks pretty fun.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, I still have a ViewMaster with a disc in it that has a story featuring this guy. :blush:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

flashy_mcflash posted:

That's cool! I never saw the 2011 reboot. It's it worth my time?
I like it a lot. I know it blueballs a ton of poo poo and it comes off as "what if Thundercats but Animu as gently caress", but to be honest it's not like the series has had the attention that something like TMNT has had.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

There's a ton of the original characters who've shown up already. The Berbils, the Molemen, the Warrior Maidens, Snowman, Mandora, the Wolos, Dr. Dometome, the unicorns,... I didn't ever see the original Thundercats so I just looked it up to be like "is this all poo poo from the original Thundercats? :psyduck:"

What a weird show

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pick posted:

There's a ton of the original characters who've shown up already. The Berbils, the Molemen, the Warrior Maidens, Snowman, Mandora, the Wolos, Dr. Dometome, the unicorns,... I didn't ever see the original Thundercats so I just looked it up to be like "is this all poo poo from the original Thundercats? :psyduck:"

What a weird show

That's what I love about it. I extremely did watch the original when I was a kid and this is the only show that seems willing to fully embrace the inherent weirdness of the original property. Well I guess She Ra did a bit, but not like this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pick posted:

I didn't ever see the original Thundercats
You loving monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftU5GfORvH8

Thundercats seemed like it was swinging for that Sword and Sorcery but also Technology thing that was present in MotU, but even more nonsensical.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just had a video titled "Thundercats Roar Already Cancelled - Get Woke Go Broke" show up in my Youtube recs, and yeesh. People getting properly mad about a kids show. :jerkbag:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

flashy_mcflash posted:

That's what I love about it. I extremely did watch the original when I was a kid and this is the only show that seems willing to fully embrace the inherent weirdness of the original property. Well I guess She Ra did a bit, but not like this.

My favorite part is the little commemoration every time a Thundercat makes a new friend :3:

(spoilers for Thundercats Roar):

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Anyway, it's basically an animated KC Green comic. so good.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

I just had a video titled "Thundercats Roar Already Cancelled - Get Woke Go Broke" show up in my Youtube recs, and yeesh. People getting properly mad about a kids show. :jerkbag:

It's even not cancelled, I just looked it up. I guess whoever made that video couldn't be bothered to google the Wikipedia article.

Anyway, I've been sleeping on Thundercats Roar because I never watched the original Thundercats, but thanks to this thread I just watched the first two episodes and I'm glad I did. Always nice to have a new fun goofy series to watch.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E11XJ83tzjw
Still the coolest piece of music from an 80s cartoon

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Thundercats seemed like it was swinging for that Sword and Sorcery but also Technology thing that was present in MotU, but even more nonsensical.

I'm sensible enough to understand that the show I loved as a kid was basically junk made to sell toys, but this is the bit that stayed with me and still has an effect on the silly pop culture I like. Like, the Thundercats are aliens from another world that blew up Krypton-style and escaped on a spaceship, and the protagonist is a child who aged up because his cold sleep thingie failed en route to their new home, and now he uses a magic sword to fight an evil mummy-lich. Sure, why not?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I would love to see them give the same treatment to Bravestarr. Now that was a mindfuck even compared to some of these other insane shows .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaMo4k7iG7s

Cowboys! Robots! Ghosts! Completely butchered Indigenous mythology!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
also according to the website of one of the overseas studios (SMIP), it's already got a season 2 (with said studio, which alternates with another studio, doing 13 eps on both, so 26 eps per season)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

I'll have to check out Thundercats Roar at some point. It gives me the impression of something made by fans of the original who just finished binging Adventure Time instead, which is less my thing, but what I've seen of it looks pretty fun.

Early OG Thundercats and early Adventure Time are drat similar shows as it is. They both have the same basic setting of magical fantasy post-apocalyptic Earth, feature weird monster peoples, and have plots that are basically Dungeons and Dragons modules. The biggest difference (aside from character designs) is that AT wasn't guaranteed good for child by a psychiatrist.

Pick posted:

There's a ton of the original characters who've shown up already. The Berbils,

Aw gently caress yeah, the Robear Berbil's kick rear end.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Skeleton Warriors reboot when

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

This is almost the most preposterous part, because as much as I like Thundercats Roar, in no way does it seem "woke" at all. I didn't like She-Ra for other reasons, but I can at least see how a person might hold that perspective where it's concerned. I don't see where anything in Thundercats Roar is more or less "woke" than any cartoons I watched from approximately that era, like Transformers or TMNT. (Which frankly, were much preachier than cartoons now, which tbh I think is a point against modern cartoons but whatever. I think it's appropriate for media to be didactic but that's neither here nor there.)

How #woke is it to have what clearly feels like a nod to the Piss Wizard?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

This is almost the most preposterous part, because as much as I like Thundercats Roar, in no way does it seem "woke" at all. I didn't like She-Ra for other reasons, but I can at least see how a person might hold that perspective where it's concerned. I don't see where anything in Thundercats Roar is more or less "woke" than any cartoons I watched from approximately that era, like Transformers or TMNT. (Which frankly, were much preachier than cartoons now, which tbh I think is a point against modern cartoons but whatever. I think it's appropriate for media to be didactic but that's neither here nor there.)

How #woke is it to have what clearly feels like a nod to the Piss Wizard?

It's because Cheetara has short hair now. Which sounds insane, but that's literally the only thing the complaints seem to be based around:

It's dumb as Hell, but yeah, best I can figure that's what got awful people mad about it being "woke".

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

plus an inherent belief that anything with that artstyle is inherently woke soyboi cuck blah blah blah

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
lmao what

Pictured: Cheetara with long, conventionally feminine hair:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Medenmath posted:

lmao what

Pictured: Cheetara with long, conventionally feminine hair:

I know, like I said it's dumb as Hell and not at all based on any sort of rational argument.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i get, tired of men. sometimes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

plus an inherent belief that anything with that artstyle is inherently woke soyboi cuck blah blah blah

I blame John K for starting this.

Edit: It says a lot that these people are also the sort of person who considers John K someone worth listening too.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 7, 2020

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

mycot posted:

I blame John K for starting this.

Edit: It says a lot that these people are also the sort of person who considers John K someone worth listening too.

funny thing is that he technically didn't: when he was complaining about "CalArts style" he was complaining about something with the actual CalArts style: The Iron Giant

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
reflecting on 2011 as "before feminism"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
anyway, I am 100% convinced this is the piss wizard. this is exactly how he sounds. this is exactly what he sounds like. bless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgvGvF3WsDI

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

flashy_mcflash posted:

The new DuckTales probably also qualifies. They make some loving deep cuts.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I can't help but detect something slightly early-Homer-Simpson-y about Lion-O's delivery and I love that.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

flashy_mcflash posted:

I would love to see them give the same treatment to Bravestarr. Now that was a mindfuck even compared to some of these other insane shows .

My favorite thing about these relatively obscure 80s cartoons is when they have bizarrely detailed wikipedia pages. I appreciate knowing that Bravestarr's horse's "principle weapon" is the Sarah Jane, which is allegedly named after Sarah Jane Smith, the Doctor's companion.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's because Cheetara has short hair now. Which sounds insane, but that's literally the only thing the complaints seem to be based around:

It's dumb as Hell, but yeah, best I can figure that's what got awful people mad about it being "woke".

99% sure "woke" in their heads means "I have a harder time masturbating to this." The same thing happened with She-Ra.

Calaveron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E11XJ83tzjw
Still the coolest piece of music from an 80s cartoon

Oh is this the part where we post our favorite 80s cartoon songs? My ringtone has flipped between the Magnet Man theme from MM3 and the opening of the theme from MASK for, like, a decade now.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Disney's Gummi Bears was an extremely catchy theme song that keeps popping into my head, I think it's second to Ducktales in earworm factor.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you extend that to early 90's cartoons, King Arthur and the Knights of Justice, despite being a really weird-rear end concept for a show(football team gets sucked back in time and become king arthur and the knights of the round table) it had a super rad theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUucZVnno0

unrelated to the song or anything, but watching that intro again I love that it also absolutely exemplifies the ninja turtles nonviolence thing of "give all these characters incredibly dangerous weaponry like swords and nunchuks but never allow them to use them on another living being onscreen". I.E. the guy with the double-headed mace who uses it to...extend and create a goofy snare to knock the guy off his buddy's back instead of just whacking the dude with it. like how the only characters the ninja turtles could actually hit with their swords and poo poo were the explicitly-shown-to-be-robot foot soldiers, otherwise they'd like, chop a tree branch off and drop it on someone instead of hitting them directly

Barudak
May 7, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I would pay good money for a new Bravestarr with actual Indigenous consultants. Also maybe less episodes where he time travels to meet sherlock holmes because maybe we don't need to get that weird with our cyberpunk horror magic space western

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Barudak posted:

I would pay good money for a new Bravestarr with actual Indigenous consultants. Also maybe less episodes where he time travels to meet sherlock holmes because maybe we don't need to get that weird with our cyberpunk horror magic space western

Absolutely, it'd be a great opportunity for a show with an Indigenous protag that wasn't insanely racist.

I maintain that the Bravestarr toys were some of the best 80's toys to exist. They were really detailed and huge.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

These days it's less common to embed a pilot for one show inside of another show, so you'd probably get your wish w.r.t. Sherlock Holmes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Batman Brave and the Bold had an episode time travelling to meet Sherlock Holmes, but then again there was also the opener when he was storming the beaches of Normandy apropos of nothing with GI Robot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkn8n18yS7A

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol

reminds me of the attempt to make a hip new future action version of The Phantom. You know, the 1930's newspaper comic strip that, according to wikipedia, is the first instance of a "superhero" wearing a skintight bodysuit which then became standard with superman etc

so let's set it in a future city, the year 2040, and call it Phantom 2040. And for spice, let's let the guy who animated Aeon Flux animate it, because why not, everyone needs more gangly people who just got out of a taffy puller in their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_EcQodt3jA&hd=1

(it was actually way better than expected and the associated video game is one of the best licensed games and metroidvanias on the SNES/genesis)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axkqBaRqeE8&hd=1

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

lol

reminds me of the attempt to make a hip new future action version of The Phantom. You know, the 1930's newspaper comic strip that, according to wikipedia, is the first instance of a "superhero" wearing a skintight bodysuit which then became standard with superman etc

so let's set it in a future city, the year 2040, and call it Phantom 2040. And for spice, let's let the guy who animated Aeon Flux animate it, because why not, everyone needs more gangly people who just got out of a taffy puller in their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_EcQodt3jA&hd=1

(it was actually way better than expected and the associated video game is one of the best licensed games and metroidvanias on the SNES/genesis)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axkqBaRqeE8&hd=1

To be fair, the whole deal with the Phantom is the generational thing, and there's a ton of Phantom stories that take place in the past with a previous Phantom, so why not in the future?

The 90s was wild, anything could get greenlit and you never know what might be good. I get the feeling 2040 might have been a similar deal to Batman Beyond were the writers got a stupid pitch ('Batman in high school' for example) and made it work by adhering to the letter of the law.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I get you, but that's a hell of a pitch to take an ancient newspaper comic like the phantom and try to turn it into a saturday morning children's cartoon franchise.

but I guess there's been weirder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5LM8NrREA&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I get you, but that's a hell of a pitch to take an ancient newspaper comic like the phantom and try to turn it into a saturday morning children's cartoon franchise.

but I guess there's been weirder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5LM8NrREA&hd=1

But Defenders of the Earth had the Phantom as a character too, and that finished only 7 years before Phantom 2040.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMKBQ3uu1Tc