Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm just catching up with Sleepaway Camp. I initially thought that nothing could match up to Evil Dead, and maybe it doesn't, but holy poo poo is that a crazy movie. There's no way the rest of the franchise could possibly match the first film, right!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'm just catching up with Sleepaway Camp. I initially thought that nothing could match up to Evil Dead, and maybe it doesn't, but holy poo poo is that a crazy movie. There's no way the rest of the franchise could possibly match the first film, right!?

Wrong. Sleepaway Camp 2 is really fun and charming, and Sleepaway Camp 3, while a step down from the first two, has a lot of pre-Scream meta-Slasher humor to it. It's a solid series, and if it weren't against GOAT Evil Dead series, it'd be a contender for much longer.

Sleepaway Camp 2 gives the Angela role to Bruce Springsteen's sister Pamela Springsteen, and she's adorable and energetic in the role and I love her.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

They get campier and funnier but not necessarily crazier or better. Definitely check them out though, they're a lot of fun.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

My money is on Evil Dead to be the Freddy Killer in this division.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

My money is on Evil Dead to be the Freddy Killer in this division.

I mean, is it even gambling if it's a sure thing?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Definitely not a sure thing but yea my money would be on Evil Dead because I just think it's more universally beloved by horror fans. Freddy is very popular, and maybe I'm biased because I'm more of a Michael/Jason guy, but NOES can be a pretty divisive series depending on which sequel you're talking about.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Like the above posters said you should def check them out, but the original Sleepaway Camp is really a uniquely weird movie. Nothing really matches it in my opinion.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

They get campier and funnier but not necessarily crazier or better. Definitely check them out though, they're a lot of fun.

I'll take campy and funny!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

RESULTS!

This concludes the first knockout round. I know we've been zooming through these, but honestly the first round is all about establishing dominance. West Mississippi Valley State does not beat Gonzaga. It does not happen. We'll be slowing down to a full week per bracket now, as these are the matchups that merit discussion. I strongly encourage you to revisit at least the first movie (or whatever the agreed-on "best" movie) of the franchise before snap-voting the one that you have warm fuzzies about from ten years ago. It's remarkable how tastes can change!

Anyway:

Freddy takes out The Tall Man. No surprise... or is there? That win % is not the strongest in the bracket. Might there be some competition?

Candyman has beaten The Grudge, but I think we're all re-evaluating Candyman and realizing as a franchise it's pretty flawed.

Sidney Prescott defeats Alice in a solid thumping, and Blade gives Hatchet the axe :haw:

An almost 90% drubbing of the underrated but still fun Sleepaway Camp means Evil Dead is the strongest winner to emerge from the Springwood Knockout round! Kreuger, you're on notice.

Also surprise win by the Conjuring, not that it won, but that enough of you thought Victor Salva could not be separated from the Creeper trilogy, and BloodRayne ends up being your second-highest vote-getter against the Conjuring-verse.

The Gecko Brothers barely hold on against Paranormal Activity. FDTD has 3 movies and a TV series and I've only ever seen the original; I'll need to dive back into it before Springwood comes up again, because...

Hellraiser has blown out Tobe Hooper's masterpiece and three dogshit sequels, but the flaws in that franchise's own followups are well known.

Voting for Crystal Lake Round 2 starts in a few minutes!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

These are your survivors so far... but death is never more than a knife's-edge away! Head over to this link and cast your vote now. Will you keep the favorite safe? Or will you let the monsters win? Choose your fate!

Neither of these franchises have very many actually good, well-made films, but they sure do have a lot of them!

Andrew Divoff gives one of the best villain performances of all time... for the two movies he's a part of. Beckinsale showed up to all three, but what do we have to show for it?

Reminder that this only runs through the first few years of Universal Monsters. Also reminder that Cube is actually a trilogy, and the first one is actually the second one in the series :eng101:

Chucky just can't seem to stab his way out of his height bracket, and the Leprechaun will have to trick Charles Lee Ray into giving up the gold medal to get into the Sweet Six-Scream :drac:

:siren: VOTE NOW! VOTE HERE! SHARE THIS LINK! :siren:

VOTING ENDS 4/12

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 7, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Gonna have to watch some Cubes and Underworlds before I cast my vote, fam.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I will say you safely can watch just Cube and Cube Zero. Hypercube is so bad and literally painful to watch (it's in an all-white maze so everything is blown out and bright) that you can disregard it the way NoES fans do to Freddy's Dead.

Stink Billyums posted:

it's easy to forget there were five Underworld movies
wow wait what lol

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 7, 2020

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Shrecknet posted:

Andrew Divoff gives one of the best villain performances of all time... for the two movies he's a part of. Beckinsale showed up to all three, but what do we have to show for it?

it's easy to forget there were five Underworld movies

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pretty obvious matchups in this bracket/round actually. Only Wishmaster vs. Underworld has the potential to be a close race.

I'll be voting Wishmaster. For me the Underworld films feel more dated with each passing year.

Franchescanado posted:

You really don't. But I guess there's no downside to it, you can use them for the challenge after all.

Shrecknet posted:

wow wait what lol

They did a prequel without Beckinsale, then like two years ago she came back and they did another sequel called Blood Wars(I think).

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 7, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty obvious matchups in this bracket/round actually. Only Wishmaster vs. Underworld has the potential to be a close race.

I'll be voting Wishmaster. For me the Underworld films feel more dated with each passing year.

You really don't. But I guess there's no downside to it, you can use them for the challenge after all.

It is my duty to at least watch two entries of Cube and Underworld.

I already know my voting, but it just feels more fair if I actually have a fresh idea of what I'm voting against.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Child's Play is obviously going to beat Leprechaun, but I'm really glad that I went back and watched some of the Leprechaun films. The first one sucks on toast, but the rest are really a lot more fun than people give them credit for.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The only one I feel bad about is voting against Cube, but I have to. I like the franchise a bunch but it clearly slides in quality after the first one, which is more of a cult classic anyway.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Child's Play is obviously going to beat Leprechaun, but I'm really glad that I went back and watched some of the Leprechaun films. The first one sucks on toast, but the rest are really a lot more fun than people give them credit for.

I will concede that 3 and In The Hood are high points of the series.

Still pissed about Puppet Master getting snubbed, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm glad I did watch a bunch of the Leprechaun sequels this month, I feel more qualified to vote on this matchup. But Child's Play is the clear winner, there's really no individual Leprechaun film that is on the same level as Child's Play 1 or 2. Especially Child's Play 2, which is one of the all time great horror sequels. Leprechaun can't match that.

It's actually a good indicator of the type of franchise that stood a good chance of going deep in this tournament. If you've got a Bride of Frankenstein/Evil Dead 2/Child's Play 2/Hellraiser 2/Dream Warriors level sequel that is a big leg up against most of the competition. It's what I think is gonna end up taking down Halloween in the end, there aren't really any truly great sequels. Carpenter's original is carrying the weight of the entire franchise on it's back.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I think Child's Play and Leprechaun are pretty even. I like the first Leprechaun movie. I think it's a solid b-grade horror flick, much like the original Child's Play movie. Both series are anchored by a great bad guy performance with Brad Dourif as Chucky and Warwick Davis as The Leprechaun. Both movies have sequels that are mostly dumb and fun with one or two abysmal dips (Leprechaun in Space/Seed of Chucky)...

I think the real deal breaker for me is that Leprechaun never really gets back anything near it's original high point and has that abysmal reboot attempt with Hornswoggle as the villain, while Cult of Chucky is a really interesting and unique horror movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think you really need to rewatch Child's Play 2. It's a borderline masterpiece.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sarx posted:

Leprechaun has that abysmal reboot attempt with Hornswoggle as the villain
Whoa whoa whoa hold the gently caress up hornswaggle what now?

Like,
https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1246996158242869248?s=19
Hornswaggle?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea but I heard the movie really blows so don't get too excited.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

And apparently it was produced by WWE Studios too, which isn't exactly as bad a sign as you might think. They fart out a few decent b-movies every now and then, like The Marine 5 (not horror)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm glad I did watch a bunch of the Leprechaun sequels this month, I feel more qualified to vote on this matchup. But Child's Play is the clear winner, there's really no individual Leprechaun film that is on the same level as Child's Play 1 or 2. Especially Child's Play 2, which is one of the all time great horror sequels. Leprechaun can't match that.

It's actually a good indicator of the type of franchise that stood a good chance of going deep in this tournament. If you've got a Bride of Frankenstein/Evil Dead 2/Child's Play 2/Hellraiser 2/Dream Warriors level sequel that is a big leg up against most of the competition. It's what I think is gonna end up taking down Halloween in the end, there aren't really any truly great sequels. Carpenter's original is carrying the weight of the entire franchise on it's back.

Halloween II isn't that bad. It's a huge step down from Halloween 1 because we don't get much time with Laurie, the hospital setting limits the Halloween-ness of it, it introduces the worst aspect of the franchise with Michael and Laurie being siblings, but it still has quite a bit going for it--the tracking shot of Michael after getting shot, the blood drip death, Loomis inadvertently killing Ben Tramer, etc.

Halloween 1-4 are all bare minimum good. 4 has some flaws, but Danielle Harris is so good in it. Having rewatched the series again alongside the In Myers We Trust podcast, I really like that original quadrilogy. 5, 6, H20 are all kinda bad, but Resurrection is at least insane. And 2018 is really good! And Zombie's Halloween 2 is good.

So that's a solid 6 movies I'd go to bat for, with Resurrection being more fun for me than a Leprechaun sequel.

Halloween 2 has that weird in-between with the other major franchises. Friday the 13th Part 2 is a huge step up from the first, Child's Play 2 found success with More of The Same But Better approach, TCM2 is a great sequel doing something different than the original. I'd rank Halloween 2 below those. But compared to Nightmare on Elm Street 2 being a weird misstep, and Scream 2 being redundant and mostly unnecessary (with a handful of good ideas), I'd say Halloween 2 (and 4!) are above those.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm talking about greatness here though. Greatness is memorable, people recognize it and I think it holds a lot of weight when a franchise has multiple GREAT films. Not pretty good or even consistently good, but great.

I think the Halloween sequels all fall somewhere in that range of ok(Halloween 4)/pretty good(Halloween 2)/very good(Halloween 3) but none of them ever break through into greatness. I really can't say that any of the Halloween sequels are better than Child's Play 2, Hellbound, Dreamwarriors, or Evil Dead 2, to name a few. And when we get to the real heavy matchups of this tournament I think Halloween may end up going down because of it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm talking about greatness here though. Greatness is memorable, people recognize it and I think it holds a lot of weight when a franchise has multiple GREAT films. Not pretty good or even consistently good, but great.

I think the Halloween sequels all fall somewhere in that range of ok(Halloween 4)/pretty good(Halloween 2)/very good(Halloween 3) but none of them ever break through into greatness. I really can't say that any of the Halloween sequels are better than Child's Play 2, Hellbound, Dreamwarriors, or Evil Dead 2, to name a few. And when we get to the real heavy matchups of this tournament I think Halloween may end up going down because of it.

Hm. I agree with you on that. And even though it's 2 years out, I think it's still too early for me to consider if Halloween '18 is "Great" yet.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Basebf555 posted:

Are we including Halloween III?

Voting for the obvious winners but sneakily feel Underworld should be awarded a rewatch more than any of the other losers. Also just want to say I did a Friday the 13th rewatch late last year and a few of those movies are WAY better than I remember.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen an Underworld movie. Are they worth checking out?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BisonDollah posted:

Are we including Halloween III?

Voting for the obvious winners but sneakily feel Underworld should be awarded a rewatch more than any of the other losers. Also just want to say I did a Friday the 13th rewatch late last year and a few of those movies are WAY better than I remember.

Yea, this isn't about just the monsters or the slashers. Halloween III was definitely a part of the franchise and intended to start a whole new phase of it where they could do interesting things every year without having to shoehorn Michael in but we all know how that went.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, this isn't about just the monsters or the slashers. Halloween III was definitely a part of the franchise and intended to start a whole new phase of it where they could do interesting things every year without having to shoehorn Michael in but we all know how that went.

The thing I learned from In Myers We Trust and Halloween Unmasked is they really botched the marketing for Halloween 3 and were tepid about how it was to make Halloween an anthology film series. Had they been more upfront with that, (and had the press not been so excited to talk poo poo about the non-Myers Halloween movie, which they did in droves) then it could have had a better chance.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen an Underworld movie. Are they worth checking out?

They’re like the Resident Evil movies in that they’re intensely stupid and put way too much emphasis on LORE and WORLD-BUILDING. The experience is like watching a compilation of video game cutscenes.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Underworld always felt like it was trying too hard to be cool. Like, instead of just being cool it had to convince you. Also it made playing Vampire the Masquerade unbearable because everyone wanted silver whips even though that one guy got super owned.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not just that, it felt like a bunch of high school theater dweebs trying too hard to be cool.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Splint Chesthair posted:

They’re like the Resident Evil movies in that they’re intensely stupid and put way too much emphasis on LORE and WORLD-BUILDING. The experience is like watching a compilation of video game cutscenes.

Resident Evil movies all own and whip rear end though?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Resident Evil movies all own and whip rear end though?

Both series are very entertaining, but RE embraces its batshit elements while Underworld sort of ignores them. Underworld thinks people play video games for the story.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shrecknet posted:

These are your survivors so far... but death is never more than a knife's-edge away! Head over to this link and cast your vote now. Will you keep the favorite safe? Or will you let the monsters win? Choose your fate!

Neither of these franchises have very many actually good, well-made films, but they sure do have a lot of them!

Reminder that this only runs through the first few years of Universal Monsters. Also reminder that Cube is actually a trilogy, and the first one is actually the second one in the series :eng101:

Chucky just can't seem to stab his way out of his height bracket, and the Leprechaun will have to trick Charles Lee Ray into giving up the gold medal to get into the Sweet Six-Scream :drac:

:siren: VOTE NOW! VOTE HERE! SHARE THIS LINK! :siren:

VOTING ENDS 4/12

We need a Bloodrayne option again.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm defintely watching Bloodrayne before either Friday 13th or Saw, don't @ me

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not a problem, having a few unsophisticated rubes in the mix is expected for polls like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like Wishmaster vs Underworld is the only actual matchup this round, and it doesn't even matter which one wins because Jason will decimate them.