Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cave emperor posted:

Tamayomi: This was bad, not sure why I ever thought it might be good. The plot of the first episode was extremely generic and the characters and animation look like poo poo.
The preview images looked way better than the show did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Being an artist was not an especially reputable occupation, and trade work of any sort wasn't considered appropriate for ladies of the upper class. It was at least better than being an actor or a prostitute, but bringing in a wife who worked with her hands would damage the reputation of the house who did it, because it implies they couldn't find one who didn't have to.
I mean having a job period as a noble of any gender was considered reputation damaging. The show kinda conflates the period's classism and sexism into a single thing, but that's all in service of setting up a romance with surrogate dad artist dude. So you get exactly what's advertised.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Space Flower posted:

his power is literally "all women are queens", that earns the name imo

so hes a simp. simp knight

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i liked tamayomi well enough for a first ep

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Regardless of what kind of Knight the Pirconne guy is I hope he continues to get owned in increasingly funny ways.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Tamayomi's first episode wasn't anything to write home about in the animation department, but it was enjoyable as a cozy introduction to some of the cast. However, the entire setup for the main duo is 'one girl has a super special technique that nobody can hit, but also nobody can catch, except my childhood friend', and I had to ask at the end of the first episode "So how many episodes until somebody is able to hit it?" A huge portion of the first episode is focused on this technique, and is the main pitch being used to sell the show in synopses, but it doesn't really work from a narrative standpoint, as it quashes any tension there may be in a match. So I'm pretty wary of the show going forward, at least in terms of not becoming something big standard and cliche.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Is the Doga Kobo fishing anime your standard CGDCT fare or does it elevate itself somehow? I like fish so I might end up watching it anyway...

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I dunno how this happened but I'm watching an isekai otome game adaption and actually kind of enjoying it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
If it does well, you're gonna be seeing a lot more

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

Is the Doga Kobo fishing anime your standard CGDCT fare or does it elevate itself somehow? I like fish so I might end up watching it anyway...

it's a standard club activity SoL setup but it's well done so far. pretty direct adaptation of the manga. nice music. won't be as comfy as, say, yurucamp unless you're blase about seeing various sea creatures get killed/cleaned

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I dunno how this happened but I'm watching an isekai otome game adaption and actually kind of enjoying it.

That's because while normal isekai suck, otome isekai rule. Hope that helped.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I forgot to link it in the OP before, but since there's already a general Digimon thread I figured I should link that for the new show.

quote:

Digimon Adventure:
Toei Animation | Masato Misuka | Atsuhiro Tomioka | Action, Adventure, Comedy, Kids, Fantasy | Toy | Apr 5, 2020
The new anime will take place in 2020 and will feature an all-new story centering on Taichi Yagami when he is in his fifth year in elementary school. His partner is Agumon. The story begins in Tokyo when a large-scale network malfunction occurs. Taichi is preparing for his weekend summer camping trip when the incident happens. Taichi's mother and his younger sister Hikari get stuck on a train that won't stop moving, and Taichi heads to Shibuya in order to help them. However, on his way there, he encounters a strange phenomenon and sweeps him up into the Digital World along with the other DigiDestined
PV
Thread

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Davincie posted:

so hes a simp. simp knight
I want that word banned

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Teibou is pretty rote in general so far, and there were a couple of jokes in the middle I kinda groaned at, but it's got that nice Dogakobo production sheen so I'm giving it at least a few eps.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think isekai can be good based on whether it is written by someone who is capable of vaguely fun or interesting writing

like bakarina hit off with people cause it has fun characters, can't say i've ever heard anyone talk about any of the other isekai otome things

i wonder if we'll ever see an adaptation of yakuza reincarnation, that one's a weird situation where i think the isekai actively drags it down because it doesn't really need the whole yakuza part of its premise but it works okay-ish because its writing is pretty funny

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

The Colonel posted:

i think isekai can be good based on whether it is written by someone who is capable of vaguely fun or interesting writing

like bakarina hit off with people cause it has fun characters, can't say i've ever heard anyone talk about any of the other isekai otome things
that's what the wholesome isekai thread is for

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
So is Bakarina the official fan name? I kinda like it haha.

I can see this series go either epic and fun if she eventually embraces being a villain or tragic and depressing if she keeps trying and failing no matter what.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If you've seen the first ep, you've got a pretty clear picture of why it's fannamed bakarina. ;)

Also it's going to be a good time.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I can see this series go either epic and fun if she eventually embraces being a villain or tragic and depressing if she keeps trying and failing no matter what.
the fan-designated nickname is bakarina, but i think the one the publishers are trying to push rn is hamefura

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Julias posted:

If you've seen the first ep, you've got a pretty clear picture of why it's fannamed bakarina. ;)

Also it's going to be a good time.

She got that name later in the run because she is oblivious to every single character crushing hard on her.

If Bakarina does well, I demand an adaptation of Kobayashi and Endo's Commentary.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It's a lot of fun, but unfortunately many of the LN/manga fans in other places are just DYING to spoil the plot every time they post.

If no one else does it first I'll make a spoiler-free thread for the anime before the week is out.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ham flag

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Really liked episode 1 of Wave Listen Etc. I hope they keep it up.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

The Sakura Wars LP thread might be older than a few.

It's me, I'm the guy who still thinks Spirit Armor will finish the first game one of these days :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh having actually played most of sakura wars 1 i don't blame someone for getting tired of how slow the game is and dropping it

game really needs to be like a couple hours shorter for how repetitive it is

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread :toot:

quote:

Yesterday wo Utatte (Sing "Yesterday" for Me)
Doga Kobo | Yoshiyuki Fujiwara | Yoshiyuki Fujiwara ; Jin Tanaka | Slice of Life, Drama, Romance, Seinen | Manga | Apr 5, 2020
The coming-of-age story follows a university graduate named Rikuo who has not been able to find permanent employment after college, a mysterious woman named Haru who has a pet crow, and Rikuo's former university classmate Shinako.
PV
Thread

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ham taro

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The premise of it didn't really grab my attention skipping through the OP, but I decided to check the first ep of Wave Listen to Me after seeing some praise for it here, and holy poo poo the first ep was good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1248022969370238976?s=20

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

gun jammed...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think the gun goes off when he sneezes

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Do you think the gun goes off when he sneezes

*AchooBANG!*

"Aww man. I just shot Tetsuro in the face..."

"Well why the gently caress'd you do that!?"

"I didn't mean to do it, it was an accident! .. Can I be the main character again now?"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Princess Connect was fun and I hope the wolf gag continues.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aww, I was looking forward to that :sigh:.

Ranzear posted:

*AchooBANG!*

"Aww man. I just shot Tetsuro in the face..."

"Well why the gently caress'd you do that!?"

"I didn't mean to do it, it was an accident! .. Can I be the main character again now?"

:lol:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Balance Unlimited is ridiculous, will possibly be very fun to watch though

when he just lets the other guy fall off the bridge instead of helping him
I've been laughing about that for like 20 minutes

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 9, 2020

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/XWT5rir.mp4

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
OP and ED are very good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR_8J1r6U94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7elPfOYdHcw

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
The crunchyroll/Funimation divide still makes me sad since there are a heap of cool shows that are just on Funi and I can't really justify two anime streaming services.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Vahtooch posted:

The crunchyroll/Funimation divide still makes me sad since there are a heap of cool shows that are just on Funi and I can't really justify two anime streaming services.

Funi's app is garbage. A friend and I fought against it trying to watch Nichijou subbed without it being black border subs and gave up and just watched the dub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Sharkopath posted:

It's structurally similar to death game stories but from whats out now and translated I'd say its way more an action mystery. A heavily layered story with a cast of characters that seem strangers at first but turn out to be incredibly interconnected. Sometimes they fight and when they fight people die because the stakes are high.

The weakness of genre tags...

I'd honestly say it has a lot more in common tone and theme wise to critically acclaimed visual novel stuff. There's definitely a bit of fate as an inspiration I think.

thanks, this makes it sound interesting again