Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BigPaddy posted:

It is just like an Olds Toronado right?

No, that's the Riviera.
:goonsay: Actually, it is - same chassis, but Pontiac went RWD on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Olds, Buick and Pontiac used the same platform but Olds went FWD because.... it was cool or something?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BigPaddy posted:

Olds, Buick and Pontiac used the same platform but Olds went FWD because.... it was cool or something?

in complete earnestness: yes, it was cool and futuristic

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

All of the futuristic technology of a 1937 Cord.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

StormDrain posted:

or a Traction Avant

but FWD was not really mainstream at that point

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

or a Traction Avant

There wasn't any real advantage to it with body-on-frame construction. Early versions like Cord's were complicated and unreliable.

The move to unibody in the 50s got everybody to start taking another look at it. The Toronado was a niche market car that could afford to take a chance on something unique.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

or a Traction Avant

As the name suggests :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

There wasn't any real advantage to it with body-on-frame construction. Early versions like Cord's were complicated and unreliable.

The move to unibody in the 50s got everybody to start taking another look at it. The Toronado was a niche market car that could afford to take a chance on something unique.

yes, aren't you agreeing with me here? FWD was seen as exotic and high tech so it made sense to roll the dice with one of the stablemates

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

StormDrain posted:

I don't think that the Cord had a chain-driven transmission.

Let's not forget Cadillac got in on the fun as well.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yes, aren't you agreeing with me here? FWD was seen as exotic and high tech so it made sense to roll the dice with one of the stablemates

Yes. I was just adding to your comment. Sorry if it appeared adversarial.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, FWD was pushed as a selling point over "old tech" RWD in a lot of markets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fj3zxnR6NM

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, FWD was pushed as a selling point over "old tech" RWD in a lot of markets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fj3zxnR6NM
That's especially hilarious because they picked (one of) the exact situations that FWD is definitely worse than RWD.

Or, I guess not worse, because you can turn around and back up the hill, and you have the advantage of the weight over the drive wheels at that point, but ... eh. Still.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Saddens me that also the Chevy Citation can also drive on 3 wheels while towing a boat trailer.*

*Of course the trailer/hitch is holding it up. FWD baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh_F2vFfDW0

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So do horrible deliveries count?

Thanks to poor packaging by Cardone which left the ends of my replacement driveshaft completely unsupported and unprotected, the joint got overextended and jammed into each other when it was delivered with the box standing up and the shown end on the bottom. I would sling some blame to FedEx too but I can't really blame them when nowhere on the box mentions not to lay the box upright.

So as you can see, the finish where the joint made contact is ruined which has me concerned about corrosion since this is Jersey and we do salt. At least the season for that is over for now. So do I actually need to be concerned and if so what is the proper way to patch it up. I do have access to an automotive paint department at work that can probably patch it correctly although the facility is currently shut down and won't start to reopen until next month at the earliest.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 13, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hit it with some chassis paint or por-15 and send it. It'll be fine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Now I don't live somewhere with epic rust like I've seen on here, but I do have a truck that was/is crumbling before my eyes. Nothing on the driveline really rusts away the same way as sheet metal or frame does, since it doesn't get caked in and holding moisture. Plus it'll likely get some grease on it which will displace water anyway. And it rotates so fast it should toss anything off of it.

At the most I'd give it the krylon touch.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I'm a big advocate of sending it. I'd splash some paint on it first.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

Hit it with some chassis paint or por-15 and send it. It'll be fine.

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I'm a big advocate of sending it. I'd splash some paint on it first.

Just to make sure, you're both telling me to paint it and then sand it down. I'm assuming you both saying send it was just autocorrect being stupid. Because sending makes little sense in this context aside from returning it which seems overkill for such superficial damage.

And thanks. I'm annoyed that I have yet another thing I'm going to have to buy since I still need to buy sockets, wrenches, a jack, ramps, and jack stands. At least it's something that can be fixed with little fanfare and better to have this dealt with before installing it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
No, "send it" is a slang term meaning do it or go for it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Memento posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzOUgwsQ_hM

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It’s not like that he remanufacturer really prepped, or even primed that part. That’s a 20 mile paint job.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Memento posted:

...without any regard for the consequences! :colbert:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Edward IV posted:

Just to make sure, you're both telling me to paint it and then sand it down. I'm assuming you both saying send it was just autocorrect being stupid.

You've not met a Canadian, eh?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

You've not met a Canadian, eh?

My supervisor from one of my past jobs is Canadian but he's a Quebecois so that probably doesn't count. :v:

Don't have a lot of Canadian media under my belt either but I've watched clips of Letterkenny and never heard that turn of phrase or at least never picked up on it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Edward IV posted:

My supervisor from one of my past jobs is Canadian but he's a Quebecois so that probably doesn't count. :v:

Don't have a lot of Canadian media under my belt either but I've watched clips of Letterkenny and never heard that turn of phrase or at least never picked up on it.

I've only heard it for ordinance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

very common in skiing/riding, surfing, powersports, other XTREEM sports

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

"Full send" is another permutation and may or may not have ended up as someone's vanity plate

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

very common in skiing/riding, surfing, powersports, other XTREEM sports

Shows up anywhere you get paramilitary fetishism.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Midjack posted:

Shows up anywhere you get paramilitary fetishism.

That explains why I've only seen it in commercial-pilot-related shitposting.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Crossposting from my thread.

EKDS5k posted:

Then it should be a simple matter to pop the bearing cover off to change the seal and, "clunk"? Nothing should go clunk....

I can't find the smilie of the guy shooting himself in the head. I guess we're too late on this repair. That bearing is pressed onto the shaft, and pressed into the cover. And there's no room down here for a puller. Fortunately, I brought a special tool just for this situation:

It's powered by oxyacetylene, and looks just like a cutting torch!

Pretend I had a good joke about fondling big balls here.

Pending failure, anyway. D375 (around the size of Killdozer) blade pins. There shouldn't be any clearance there, but you could fit your pinky in there. I don't recommend putting your pinky in there. This is part of a larger problem, where management won't put a machine down for preventative maintenance. Oil changes get done pretty reliably, but anything else that doesn't prevent the machine from being used gets put off and put off until it fails completely. Eventually, one of these pins will fall out, or break, or something, and then we'll be recovering this poo poo from a muddy pit to fix it.

That's a bottom roller on the same bulldozer. The cap bolts walked out and uh, there was some wear from that.

Ripper tooth. Up here these wear out daily, but the holder is not supposed to snap off like that.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

EKDS5k posted:

Crossposting from my thread.

[CARNAGE, GLORIOUS CARNAGE]

Subscribed :stonklol:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Hopefully this link works - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2909805182432797

Otherwise this article has some pictures - https://www.thedrive.com/news/33006/this-sketchy-dodge-hellcat-frame-job-is-the-most-dangerous-repair-of-2020-so-far

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

B is for Build strikes again

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Powershift posted:

B is for Build strikes again

Linked Article posted:

A used car dealer by trade, Routier was attending a Columbus, Georgia-area tow-and-recovery yard auction when he spotted this Yellow Jacket 2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat, which he was tempted to buy and flip until he looked at it more closely, and discovered "some alarming hidden flaws."

"The first thing I noticed was the VIN in the window looked 'replaced,' and it didn't match the VIN under the hood on the passenger strut brace," Routier told The Drive. "The other thing was the subframe had been cut out and poorly welded back, so I figured one or two things happened: Either it was wrecked and rebuilt, or it was stolen... Anyways, I didn't want it anymore, but I stayed until it sold, and someone local bought it for $30,000."

lmao

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah a pro sailboat racer friend of mine is where I picked it up.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The supermoto guys in my area use send it too

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

The best part of that Hellcat article is the related project which they mentioned:

https://www.thedrive.com/tuned-af/12476/these-guys-are-swapping-a-1000-hp-hellcat-engine-into-a-prius-because-why-not

That's certainly one way to send it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BigPaddy posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Cadillac used the same chassis, FWD, in the Eldorado. Pontiac didn't have an E-body at the time. Or, apparently, ever.
The Riv did go FWD in 1979.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_E_platform

What in...
WHY.

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

The best part of that Hellcat article is the related project which they mentioned:

https://www.thedrive.com/tuned-af/12476/these-guys-are-swapping-a-1000-hp-hellcat-engine-into-a-prius-because-why-not

That's certainly one way to send it.

Maybe that one will get finished, unlike the LSx one and the GM turbo-4 one I was folloing on, I think, Hotrodders.com.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Edward IV posted:

So do horrible deliveries count?

Thanks to poor packaging by Cardone which left the ends of my replacement driveshaft completely unsupported and unprotected, the joint got overextended and jammed into each other when it was delivered with the box standing up and the shown end on the bottom. I would sling some blame to FedEx too but I can't really blame them when nowhere on the box mentions not to lay the box upright.

So as you can see, the finish where the joint made contact is ruined which has me concerned about corrosion since this is Jersey and we do salt. At least the season for that is over for now. So do I actually need to be concerned and if so what is the proper way to patch it up. I do have access to an automotive paint department at work that can probably patch it correctly although the facility is currently shut down and won't start to reopen until next month at the earliest.

On certain un-fun, awful replacement projects I've damaged paint jobs more than that before the part even got fully bolted in place. I live in the depths of the rust belt. It'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Not "horrible" by any means but a fun example of F=ma. I got a bit too brave trimming around a steel drainage pipe with a push mower instead of a proper trimmer and set the blade down on the pipe. Engine stopped instantly.

Blade is hosed.

Impressive bite taken out of the steel pipe

Fortunately I had a backup blade I swapped on to the mower and it ran fine afterward so hopefully no damage to the flywheel key or crank itself.