Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

torgo posted:

I have a song that seems like it should be easy to find, but thanks to South Park, it's impossible.

Back in the late 90's I heard a song on an alternative station in Austin. The subject was James Cameron. I think it was about having a crush on him and how all his movies were great. It was a female singer. I have no idea if it was just a local/obscure indie band, or some B-side of a bigger band.

James Cameron song, however, just returns pages of South Park "Raising the Bar" results. Does anyone know this song?

Could you be thinking of Bree Sharp's "David Duchovny, Why won't you love me?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg_vVKcVYbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

galagazombie posted:

There was this toy I had as a kid. The toy itself was small, but portrayed some kind of giant tank thats armor split open to reveal something kinda like an aircraft carrier flight-deck. this "deck" then could spring up on little lever things. I think it was colored green camo.

"Crossbolt" from the toyline Megaforce!

All those Megaforce vehicles were amazing.

Edit: Oops beaten by a while, my bad!

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Grassy Knowles posted:

Could you be thinking of Bree Sharp's "David Duchovny, Why won't you love me?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg_vVKcVYbo

This is probably it! It's just the right level of indie to have heard once on the alternative station's indie hour. I have no idea how it got twisted around in my head that it was about James Cameron. Thinking back, David Duchovny makes more sense based on my friend I heard the song with who went wild for it.

Thanks!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

For a related song look up King Missiles Martin Scorsese. HE MAKES THE BEST MOVIES

DJDadJoke
Mar 27, 2020

Stupid Newbie

Dumber for drinking so much Sith Lighting Mountain Dew

Kids, don't cough on my lawn!!!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAiVwAzn27A

I'd settle for a DVD at this point...

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

DJDadJoke posted:

I'd settle for a DVD at this point...

Am I missing something? Because there's a load of DVDs on ebay for a few bucks. Admittedly they're all titled "The Deadly Mr. Frost" but it's got to be the same film.

DJDadJoke
Mar 27, 2020

Stupid Newbie

Dumber for drinking so much Sith Lighting Mountain Dew

Kids, don't cough on my lawn!!!
Dinosaur Gum

uvar posted:

Am I missing something? Because there's a load of DVDs on ebay for a few bucks. Admittedly they're all titled "The Deadly Mr. Frost" but it's got to be the same film.

I didn't even think of that...I hate ebay. To me, if it's not on Amazon or Bluraydotcom it's "currently unavailable." Thanks for the heads up, though.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A website that I'm sure I was linked to from these forums. It has chat logs of a conversation between some dweeb guy who keeps posting some type of emoji after everything he says and a girl he likes.

I can't actually remember anything else, just the guy posting something like this (●´ω`●) all the time.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
A novel I read in the '90s. Arabian Nights type setting. A teenage girl runs away from her guardian to look for her parents who disappeared during a journey. She has a bad stutter. Dressing as a boy, and playing a magical harp she meets various people and have adventures. Among them a lady who tells her she had time travelled to a big city where it was never dark, the floors were softs to walk on, and a man offered her "frozen vanilla pudding on a stick" from a "magical cupboard". Also something about a man falling in love with a water spirit, which turns out to be the reflection of the girl hiding in a tree.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

A website that I'm sure I was linked to from these forums. It has chat logs of a conversation between some dweeb guy who keeps posting some type of emoji after everything he says and a girl he likes.

I can't actually remember anything else, just the guy posting something like this (●´ω`●) all the time.

Can't link rn but Google "Denko saga"

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Telemaze posted:

Can't link rn but Google "Denko saga"

Ah that's the good stuff, thank you.

DiabloNachos
Apr 10, 2020

ikanreed posted:

A terrible song that shipped on some video game magazine demo CD.

All I remember is the first couple lines.

"This is a song about kick/this is a song about beep beep beep"

Amazingly I know this one.
It's "Kickbeat" by Thomas Mulhearn and Frank Sinatra.

DiabloNachos
Apr 10, 2020
I've been trying to find a Conan O'Brien intro that goes like :

"Last time on Conan O'Brien" and then it shows a bunch of made up clips from previous episodes where Andy was poisoned, and generally a bunch of evil behind the scenes/backstabbing stuff was going on, like the show was Dallas or something.

It wasn't during the TBS era, it was older than that.

Failing that, there's a show when he went to California and Andy sleeps with the actress Conan wants, that's another one I haven't seen in forever.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

DiabloNachos posted:

"Last time on Conan O'Brien" and then it shows a bunch of made up clips from previous episodes where Andy was poisoned, and generally a bunch of evil behind the scenes/backstabbing stuff was going on, like the show was Dallas or something.

It wasn't during the TBS era, it was older than that.

Failing that, there's a show when he went to California and Andy sleeps with the actress Conan wants, that's another one I haven't seen in forever.

To tack onto this I've never been able to find the old like 90's Conan skits where they'd make up curse words.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

DiabloNachos posted:

I’ve seen this posted on Twitter within the last month or so, so it’s definitely floating around.

BattyKiara posted:

A novel I read in the '90s. Arabian Nights type setting. A teenage girl runs away from her guardian to look for her parents who disappeared during a journey. She has a bad stutter. Dressing as a boy, and playing a magical harp she meets various people and have adventures. Among them a lady who tells her she had time travelled to a big city where it was never dark, the floors were softs to walk on, and a man offered her "frozen vanilla pudding on a stick" from a "magical cupboard". Also something about a man falling in love with a water spirit, which turns out to be the reflection of the girl hiding in a tree.
Did you also post this in the TBB name-that-book thread? Because someone’s definitely asked about it there before.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Yes, I asked about it in BB, but no one answered. Figured I would try here instead. Also pretty sure the author had a name like Daisy Day or Lisa Lee, except slightly more exotic first name?

Aquamarie
Jul 22, 2004

do not swim without knowing jeez
When I was a kid, my mom had a book that I remember reading one summer. it was a compilation of dark stories, not horror exactly, just with seams of betrayal and murder and stuff like that. I have tried to figure out the name of this book for years but I have nothing to go on except for dim recollections of three of the stories that were in the book.

One, that I believe was the first story in the book, told the story of a young girl brought to her headmistress's office at the boarding school she attended. She was accused of drawing some graffiti on the wall of one of the classrooms that showed the headmistress herself and one of the teachers going at it. The term "in loco parentis" was used often in the story. At the end of the story, the headmistress examines the students hands to find that while they're covered in paint, it isn't the color that the graffiti was painted in. She's dismissed and the student returns back to her dorm room, where she goes to wash her hands, revealing that she has used a different color paint to hide the stains of the incriminating color already on her hands.

The other story that I remember, is an incredibly, incredibly English story of a woman who has a very handsome baby, who she has named some ridiculous thing like Schubert or Pubert or whatever. She enters him in contests in pageants and he appears in commercials and he is given some title like "England's most beautiful baby" or something like that. She had some weird things going on with her mentally but I do not remember the specifics, only her having a confrontation with him when he's grown up. I remember the tone of the story more clearly than the others, but I cannot remember any details other than that.

The final story that I remember, involved two identical twin sisters, one who was more outgoing and popular, and the other who was mousier and resentful. The popular twin conspired with her boyfriend to arrange the death of the mousy one, but it backfired and the mousy ended up finding out about the whole plot and assumed her sister's identity. I remember that the perfume Cinnabar played a significant part in some part of the story.

Seriously, if any of you guys can identify at least one of these stories so that I can at least read it again, I will be so impressed. I have searched extensively for any trace of the book or any of these stories and I haven't been able to figure anything out.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I'm looking for a web series, mid to late 00s, a woman who may have been a comedian talks about and mocks gender-based advertising.

cookiefulloarsenic
Oct 30, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

I'm looking for a web series, mid to late 00s, a woman who may have been a comedian talks about and mocks gender-based advertising.

Sarah Haskins/Target Women?
https://youtu.be/2-23INiaWdY?list=PLRcCk7OJ1N7EicSZYd8ir4ocFmmy0dFbr

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer
I posted a white whale and the OP never came back to see it :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

super mario batali posted:

same! i know i got it right and everything

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

That's it, thanks friend

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

super mario batali posted:

That poster is your white whale now.

Reposting this one I posted last year in hopes that someone will recognize it:

Bold Robot posted:

I've been trying to find an adventure game that I got on a MacAddict demo disc in the late 1990s. It was one of those games where you typed in commands like "look north," "search desk" and had black-and-white Manhole-style graphics. The plot was something like, you wake up in your house to go about your normal day, but weird stuff happens. I distinctly remember that you could encounter Busta Rhymes and if you got into combat with him, he would blow weed smoke in your face and you would lose health. You could also encounter an alien.

There were a lot of games like this, but only one with the weird Busta Rhymes weed smoke combat.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 11, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm trying to find the source for this amazing cheese story. In Manhattan/Long Island during the revolutionary war, a patriot dude was fleeing from the invading British, so he buried his most prized possessions in the garden. Chief among those possessions was a wheel of Parmesan cheese. The guy comes back 4 years later to find his house robbed/burnt down/something, but he digs up the cheese and it's totally fine. Can anyone help me find a source for this?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Aquamarie posted:

When I was a kid, my mom had a book that I remember reading one summer. it was a compilation of dark stories, not horror exactly, just with seams of betrayal and murder and stuff like that. I have tried to figure out the name of this book for years but I have nothing to go on except for dim recollections of three of the stories that were in the book.

Can you give us an approximation of the year you read it? That'll help whittle away anything published after that.

Also, probably a stupid question, but have you asked The Book Barn? They've got a dedicated "identify this book/story for me" thread stickied there. If someone can nail down one of the stories, it might lead you to finding the whole book.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm trying to find the source for this amazing cheese story. In Manhattan/Long Island during the revolutionary war, a patriot dude was fleeing from the invading British, so he buried his most prized possessions in the garden. Chief among those possessions was a wheel of Parmesan cheese. The guy comes back 4 years later to find his house robbed/burnt down/something, but he digs up the cheese and it's totally fine. Can anyone help me find a source for this?

I believe this was Samuel Pepys - he buried his Parmesan cheese to keep it safe from the Great Fire of London in 1666.

I honestly can't find ANYTHING else about buried cheese out there; old-timey London ---> old-timey Manhattan seems like a logical memory jump...

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 11, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Teketeketeketeke posted:

I believe this was Samuel Pepys - he buried his Parmesan cheese to keep it safe from the Great Fire of London in 1666.

I honestly can't find ANYTHING else about buried cheese out there; old-timey London ---> old-timey Manhattan seems like a logical memory jump...

poo poo, that was probably it. I just remember there being a span of at least months before they got their cheese back.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Samuel Pepys diary, Sept 4 1666

quote:

Sir W. Batten not knowing how to remove his wine, did dig a pit in the garden, and laid it in there; and I took the opportunity of laying all the papers of my office that I could not otherwise dispose of. And in the evening Sir W. Pen and I did dig another, and put our wine in it; and I my Parmazan cheese, as well as my wine and some other things.

His house ended up surviving the fire though.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
BROS, a very old rear end youtube video probably 2007-ish.

The video in question showed the title screen to a bootleg Super Mario Bros. game titled "BROS" with horrific compressed music on par with the crazy bus theme. The palette was greenish and it had a ton of "video responses" back when that was a thing on YouTube. Probably cause Youtube Gangs used to do that.

The Super Mario Bros. title screen for reference:

Putty fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 11, 2020

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Finally, I can answer one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQTTA9raJU&t=15s

You're welcome.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
oops sorry bro I just placeholder posted that to search my history ITT and see if I asked for it before. enjoy my weirdly specific rant above

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Putty posted:

BROS, a very old rear end youtube video probably 2007-ish.

The video in question showed the title screen to a bootleg Super Mario Bros. game titled "BROS" with horrific compressed music on par with the crazy bus theme. The palette was greenish and it had a ton of "video responses" back when that was a thing on YouTube. Probably cause Youtube Gangs used to do that.

The Super Mario Bros. title screen for reference:

It was BROS and not Super Mario Twins by Group X, right?

On second thought, that was a stupid suggestion of mine since it doesn't match your description at all.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I made an "artist's representation" of what it would have looked like in it's prime

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Over the past couple weeks I read through the whole thread before making a request of my own, hoping there was something I could help with but I guess I just don’t know a lot.

Mine is an old cartoon segment from what was probably Pinwheel (a children’s show on Nickelodeon in the 80s that had these knock-off muppet segments and then they would show these cartoon segments which I think were probably mostly cheap to broadcast European things)

The cartoon segment I am looking for is about a baby goat who doesn’t want to grow up. He gets these lumps in his head where his horns are going to come in but he puts tape over them to try to keep them from growing out. That’s all I remember.

There is a small chance that it was Sesame Street and not pinwheel, since that show also had little segments too.

I’ve looked at all of the “PINWHEEL FULL EPISODE” videos on YouTube and it’s not in any of those.

Edit: this would have been 1983-1987 when I would have watched it but the cartoon might be older, as a lot of the stuff on that show was.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 11, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Samuel Pepys diary, Sept 4 1666

His house ended up surviving the fire though.

I will be sure to amend the memory and track down everyone I told my flawed cheese story to with the updated and correct version!

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
A short history channel or TLC or discovery channel parody video about mining. The narrator has a overdone movie trailer voiceover type voice, with lines like "We're gonna dig a biiig loving hole" and "Look how big this loving hole is, gently caress yeah!"

It's pretty much ungoogleable apparently, and me not being able to find it has haunted me for a decade now.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Back around 2002 or 2003 I saw a thing on the internet with a pair of boots singing/talking over a simple beat. The lyrics went something like, "I'm boots, you know that's the troots, I'm boots". There was more to it, but that's what I remember best. It continues on from there, the boots had kind of an attitude and maybe made threats about what they would do if you didn't believe them.

The boots were a drawing, and they were minimally animated. I remember thinking that the voice sounded like H. Jon Benjamin.

I just did some fresh googling on it and I found almost nothing. The one thing I found is what I'm pretty sure is a reference to it on someone's blog from 2005.

http://becklectic.blogspot.com/2005/02/what-strange-thing-to-say-as-you-pass.html?m=0

quote:

H. Jon Benjamin = human version

I'm Boots. I just shot you.

As soon as I read that I was 99% sure that "I'm boots, I just shot you" is how the song ends, but googling that brings up nothing. Funnily enough, it doesn't even bring up that blog (which I found by googling "I'm boots" and "h Jon Benjamin").

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
A British crime show about a doctor who solves crimes, also he rides a bicycle. Came out maybe around 2005?

DiabloNachos
Apr 10, 2020

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Oh gently caress I thought of one. I was on a long distance drive and while bored out of my skull started scanning the radio channels. I want to say this was on some NPR station because who else would do this but there was a narrator telling a story about a spy who was under cover in the soviet union and falling in love with another spy. It sounds cheesy but it was a really compelling love story and I think I lost reception or something happened that I wasn't able to hear how the story ended. This was probably around 2008-2011. The key component was that the guy's handler knew he was in a sexual relationship and was coaching him on not falling in love and the guy was telling himself he wasn't while he actually was.

Was this The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, by John LeCarre?
They did a audio play of it, its possible they played it on the air and that is what you hear. From what you are describing, that's the plot of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Tip posted:

Back around 2002 or 2003 I saw a thing on the internet with a pair of boots singing/talking over a simple beat. The lyrics went something like, "I'm boots, you know that's the troots, I'm boots". There was more to it, but that's what I remember best. It continues on from there, the boots had kind of an attitude and maybe made threats about what they would do if you didn't believe them.

The boots were a drawing, and they were minimally animated. I remember thinking that the voice sounded like H. Jon Benjamin.

I just did some fresh googling on it and I found almost nothing. The one thing I found is what I'm pretty sure is a reference to it on someone's blog from 2005.

http://becklectic.blogspot.com/2005/02/what-strange-thing-to-say-as-you-pass.html?m=0

As soon as I read that I was 99% sure that "I'm boots, I just shot you" is how the song ends, but googling that brings up nothing. Funnily enough, it doesn't even bring up that blog (which I found by googling "I'm boots" and "h Jon Benjamin").

I just googled and found this: https://youtu.be/pfI2VkNBjQc