Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

for all man kind's history, we have used the heat of fire to stave off disease and increase our access to nutrition. This summer, we shall warm food once more and save our treasured health system from sucking even worse than it already does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/aguhiyori/status/1248851764377313281

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

VectorSigma posted:

i knew there was a reason i saved that chunk of cobalt-60

searching the abandoned ruins of a private hospital that closed due to a drop in elective procedure revenue for some transuranic bullshit element to power my apocalypse food sterilizer

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also, don't forget that viable virus survived for 17 days on the Diamond Princess! Just because we haven't found proven cases of surface transmission more than like an hour old doesn't mean that they're not happening, it just means that it would be incredibly difficult or impossible to prove that it happened. Like many things about the virus, there's just no way of knowing. Who knows if more people are getting it from a stray breeze versus a surface touched by somebody in the crowd who is long gone.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Who knows, the WHO even contradicted itself about aerosol spread being real, even as tons of seemingly proven cases exist (the cruise ships that all do so badly with their shared ventilation; the whole choir in LA who caught it by singing in the same room even while social distancing). Be safer than any stupid "official" guidance says to be

aerosols demonstrated to stay in the air for up to 3 hours with Most Ideal Conditions and Tiniest Possible Droplets, for what its worth -- https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

(the issue is also that they settle down, of course)

sars-cov-1/other coronaviruses are deactivated at ~140F https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15118911 and i imagine 2 is as well

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

its a protein-rna complex not a SpoooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooOOOOOky ghost

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
How the gently caress do I clean my groceries. What the hell

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

err posted:

soap and water, wipe them down, break down external boxes and put them into your own containers if concerned,

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

you cannot

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Look at some point you're gonna be in contact with the outside world. The whole point of social distancing, isolation, masks, hand sanitizer etc. is to mitigate spread best we can so this thing doesn't infect all of us at once.

It's praxis to do the best you can to make sure you're good. Wear a face covering when outside, and wash your hands. Disinfect high contact surfaces regularly. Limit your trips to the grocery store. You'll probably do more if you're as paranoid as it seems like most of us are here.

But you can't be perfect. That's not what the idea is here and it's unrealistic to think you can be.

I have to keep reminding myself of that too.

Zisky has issued a correction as of 09:45 on Apr 11, 2020

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I always reheated my pizzas in the oven right away anyway because I like the cheese browner and the crust crispier anyway.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Marzzle posted:

as every last RNA molecule is ionized into oblivion: I'm lovin' it

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

err posted:

Fool's errand. You either got Big Corona Game or you don't.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

hey whats this new, stupid thread title in reference to and also what was the previous non-new, stupid thread title in referernce to, there is too much stupid to keep track of in one day

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Also, don't forget that viable virus survived for 17 days on the Diamond Princess! .

Not viable virus. Viral RNA. big difference

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

kater posted:

hey whats this new, stupid thread title in reference to and also what was the previous non-new, stupid thread title in referernce to, there is too much stupid to keep track of in one day

previous:

current:

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Look at some point you're gonna be in contact with the outside world. The whole point of social distancing, isolation, masks, hand sanitizer etc. is to mitigate spread best we can so this thing doesn't infect all of us at once.

It's praxis to do the best you can to make sure you're good. Wear a face covering when outside, and wash your hands. Disinfect high contact surfaces regularly. Limit your trips to the grocery store. You'll probably do more if you're as paranoid as it seems like most of us are here.

But you can't be perfect. That's not what the idea is here and it's unrealistic to think you can be.

I have to keep reminding myself of that too.

my 1 minute walk to the coffee shop includes me pressing the button to get out of my apartment gate, sanitizing my hands, kicking the button to cross the street, then dodging in a zig-zag motion the people walking on the wrong side of the sidewalk, sitting on the bench for some loving reason and standing in the middle of the sidewalk chatting

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

disinfect with prompt neutrons

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Man Musk posted:

just lol if you don't already chase every takeout meal with a heaping spoonful of yoghurt

Same, but ranch dressing.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lambert posted:

My side hustle that I'm coming out of covid with is going to be ranch yoghurt.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

quick time event dodge grandma

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
everything is a risk. getting takeout is a bit riskier than cooking your own food from things in your house. every time you spend an hour outside in the sunshine and every time you eat red meat you increase your chance of getting skin/digestive cancers by some thousandths of a percent.

please check the happy thread for a post where i elaborate on this titled “free radicals: inhaling death with every breath”

poty has issued a correction as of 10:02 on Apr 11, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

not an endorsement posted:

quick time event dodge grandma

Bullet time baby

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

poty posted:

everything is a risk. getting takeout is a bit riskier than cooking your own food from things in your house. every time you spend an hour outside in the sunshine and every time you eat red meat you increase your chance of getting skin/digestive cancers by some thousandths of a percent.

stop bumming me out dude

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Lambert posted:

Same, but a half pint of whiskey.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

buy that motorcycle

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

aerosols demonstrated to stay in the air for up to 3 hours with Most Ideal Conditions and Tiniest Possible Droplets, for what its worth -- https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

(the issue is also that they settle down, of course)

That link was a good read, too

What do you mean about settling down?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Gotta buy a Switch with my trumpbux!

...might buy a switch always wanted to play the new zelda. R there any other hood games for it that arent for babiez

mario odyssey is like legit the reason video games were invented, its the sequel to mario 64 that nintendo took like twenty loving years to make.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

poty posted:

Yeah but that's different obviously; although we can't reduce our risk in our normal lives to zero, this is not our normal lives. This is quarantine. If everybody takes pains to reduce their risk to actual zero for a couple of weeks, that's it, the pandemic is over. You CAN avoid catching the virus if you just do the bare minimum of not taking known risks of any scale at all. If everyone had just locked down when I did (around 3/06), and went to the minimal effort of sealing themselves in only as well as I did, the pandemic would be over by now.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I got a Switch on March 3 and it was the wisest investment I’ve ever made.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That link was a good read, too

What do you mean about settling down?

virus fall on surface. now surface sick. oh no

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

poty posted:

please check the happy thread for a post where i elaborate on this titled “free radicals: inhaling death with every breath”

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

switch owns, nintendo has done it again

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

err posted:

very carefully

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

what are you even supposed to do here other than veer into traffic

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

what are you even supposed to do here other than veer into traffic

praise allah for giving an excuse to running away from smallchat & covering every orifice

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

err posted:

I have a serious heart condition and live with my mom who is 75. So we are taking extreme precautions. Dry goods go into grocery quarantine for a week or so. Stuff that needs refrigeration/freezing gets wiped with dilute bleach. Vegetables, esp stuff like lettuce, is mostly just luck and hoping for the best. No takeout, no grocery shopping (we have family members do it for us, increasing their own risk). It's hard.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
So today, the story is Coronavirus is much less lethal than the flu but 10 times more infectious than anyone realizes

https://twitter.com/Sublux8tor/status/1248883827004420096

:confuoot:

its actually the best case scenario!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
its genuinely amazing how strong the cult of trump is across the internet on covid. virtually everyplace is infested with smoothbrain morons going "plaquenil is one magic cure that libs dont want you to have!! it fixes it all they just want to make daddy look bad! they're killing people by refusing to give out one weird magic trick!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I know if I was an ICU doctor I would absolutely be fine with stacking dead people out in the hall because I let them die, to stand with all my brother and sister doctors united in pissing off Trump

and if I caught it I'd be sure to refuse fishbowl cleaner treatment myself and die too, because boy that would make trump REAL mad lol