Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

fishbowl cleaner is so last week. zinc was so yesterday. now we're onto loving penicillin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Yeah but that's different obviously; although we can't reduce our risk in our normal lives to zero, this is not our normal lives. This is quarantine. If everybody takes pains to reduce their risk to actual zero for a couple of weeks, that's it, the pandemic is over. You CAN avoid catching the virus if you just do the bare minimum of not taking known risks of any scale at all. If everyone had just locked down when I did (around 3/06), and went to the minimal effort of sealing themselves in only as well as I did, the pandemic would be over by now.

listen i agree. i started working from home on feb 26 (in europe). 10 days before my company started offering guidance / encouraging people to do it. you have to reduce your risk as much as you can. but if after doing everything else perfectly getting takeout every once in a while as a treat helps you get through the day i would do it the odds are still vastly in your favor

poty has issued a correction as of 10:34 on Apr 11, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

ryanrs posted:

I have a serious heart condition and live with my mom who is 75. So we are taking extreme precautions. Dry goods go into grocery quarantine for a week or so. Stuff that needs refrigeration/freezing gets wiped with dilute bleach. Vegetables, esp stuff like lettuce, is mostly just luck and hoping for the best. No takeout, no grocery shopping (we have family members do it for us, increasing their own risk). It's hard.

Vegetables are easily washable with soap and water. My wife ordered a surprise fridgeload of fruits and produce the other week and once it arrived I treated the fabric bag like it was full of virus, and spent the next 3 hours taking things out of it and washing them off with ample soap, leaving them to dry on the counter. Small stuff that was in plastic bags got the bag filled with soap water and drained. Dry stuff went into a quarantine closet like you said.

Fun fact: Cabbage does not have to take up fridge space and lasts FOREVER. I always knew that cut lettuce wilts within a day so I never bought it, but if you take a cabbage and just put the bottom in a bowl with a little water and leave it out in the light, it lasts about a month. We got a huge Napa cabbage and it has just been an endless source of greens on our counter for sandwiches and more.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

all of existence is now separated into whether or not you took tlc's jason waterfalls to heart or not. i know you gonna have it your way or nothing at all but i think maybe dont go to the grocery store to loving buy asparagus and broccoli.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
listen here jack, you will have to pry my fishbowl cleaner from my withered fleshless hands

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

i wish people ditched sourdough and learned to pickle

my mamichka always did russian-style pickled cabbage (kopusta) and it was as easy as slicing like 4 cabbages, mashing them up until the liquid is forced out, grating in a couple of big carrots, mixing them with a shitload of salt and a few peppercorns, putting it in a big bucket and leaving it in your loving garage for a while

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Vegetables are easily washable with soap and water. My wife ordered a surprise fridgeload of fruits and produce the other week and once it arrived I treated the fabric bag like it was full of virus, and spent the next 3 hours taking things out of it and washing them off with ample soap, leaving them to dry on the counter. Small stuff that was in plastic bags got the bag filled with soap water and drained. Dry stuff went into a quarantine closet like you said.

Fun fact: Cabbage does not have to take up fridge space and lasts FOREVER. I always knew that cut lettuce wilts within a day so I never bought it, but if you take a cabbage and just put the bottom in a bowl with a little water and leave it out in the light, it lasts about a month. We got a huge Napa cabbage and it has just been an endless source of greens on our counter for sandwiches and more.

make sauerkraut ftw

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dumb Lowtax posted:

yeah you can also just soak vegetables in a bin with some form of vinegar or baking soda/water

people should really wash their vegetables well even without covid going around. i've worked at a grocery store and lol you don't want to know how many times that's just fallen on some nasty floor and put back, often several times, or someone picking their nose and putting it in their basket and putting it back, saw people just open-faced coughing/sneezing on stuff, or having it sit out near a register because they decided they didn't want it during check-out and ending up back 12 hrs later

that's not even getting into conditions when it's plucked, put on pretty grody trucks, sent to distribution centers and boxed up and resent out to stores. ultimately if it's getting baked, it's probably fine and dirt won't hurt, hell peasant food used to be stews of turnips, potatoes, and 30% dirt by weight. but any form of uncooked vegetables or leafy stuff, def wash.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 10:43 on Apr 11, 2020

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

boogers are flavor

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Xaris posted:

its genuinely amazing how strong the cult of trump is across the internet on covid. virtually everyplace is infested with smoothbrain morons going "plaquenil is one magic cure that libs dont want you to have!! it fixes it all they just want to make daddy look bad! they're killing people by refusing to give out one weird magic trick!!!"

there is a non-0% amount of Turks boosting whatever comes from Trump on the internet... we just got that direct connection to spooks in 2020

non-specifically, have some quarantine d&b: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAVbx6P_S6Y&t=317s

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/arghkid/status/1248612305824169984?s=19

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/ioangrillo/status/1246981673746497537

a large automobile
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/BrunoTersago/status/1248891230118952962

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

lol at what happens when you intentionally drastically underreport

https://twitter.com/olgaNYC1211/status/1248816911082762240

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

shovelbum posted:

Nah it's cool we can't let the virus rob us of potentially seeing cute medical personnel ffs

Getting horny from oxygen deprivation, my last moments with my dick in my hand timing the strokes to my coughing, the cute nurse walks in in full PPE but I know she’s cute because her selfie on the front of her scrubs it clearly from her instagram...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
wow i cant believe the nurse would catfish me like that

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Surface spreading is a real thing; there was that case of transmission that got tracked in China, where someone simply sat in the same train seat that someone else had vacated an hour prior, and got COVID from contact with it.

i think you're probably referring to this 4 hour bus ride, which is even scarier. someone in a seat across the aisle and 1 row up on the return trip got infectred!

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

This is apparently a respected war journalist in Mexico. Look at what else he's saying

https://twitter.com/ioangrillo/status/1248470661682479106

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

fermun posted:

i think you're probably referring to this 4 hour bus ride, which is even scarier. someone in a seat across the aisle and 1 row up on the return trip got infectred!

I know that incident too, but it was separate! The two individuals were not even on the train at the same time.

edit: Oh, it might have been the pink person

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 11:07 on Apr 11, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
More on cabbage -- Put the cabbage root down in a big bowl of water on your counter and just leave it there. Don't put too much water in, and if it starts to turn gross drain it and dry it. But don't let it stay dry either.

You can peel off the outermost leaves as you want to use them up, or as they turn color (they'll get old first).

It might bloom and flower and the cabbage still tastes like cabbage. Napa cabbages are about three times the size of normal cabbages and are delicious this way. I had no idea I could just have greens around the house all the time without being paranoid about them spoiling / going to waste after a day.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dumb Lowtax posted:

More on cabbage -- Put the cabbage root down in a big bowl of water on your counter and just leave it there. Don't put too much water in, and if it starts to turn gross drain it and dry it. But don't let it stay dry either.

You can peel off the outermost leaves as you want to use them up, or as they turn color (they'll get old first).

It might bloom and flower and the cabbage still tastes like cabbage. Napa cabbages are about three times the size of normal cabbages and are delicious this way. I had no idea I could just have greens around the house all the time without being paranoid about them spoiling / going to waste after a day.

that's good advice

i really like the Living Butter Lettuce they sell at Costco (and other places) with the root intact. poo poo will last like a month in the fridge just fine. we have problems buying lots of leafs and stuff and it ends up going bad before we can use it

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

This is apparently a respected war journalist in Mexico. Look at what else he's saying

https://twitter.com/ioangrillo/status/1248470661682479106

:catstare:

love how those papers on country-based correlations count "current bcg vaccine schedule" as the proxy variable for "people vaccined for bcg", despite several of the countries listed as not having a current schedule having one in the past which would have covered the boomers

http://www.bcgatlas.org/

almost as if... the countries which still actively vaccinate bcg... also just have a more serious handling of their public health departments???

anyway i don't mind these papers being published as they can be followed by in-vitro and in-vivo works and more granular retrospective cohort studies of individuals, but boy do i hate normie science-illiterate news outlets misreading an abstract and farting information for people to panic about like hyroxyfuckingcodone

not an endorsement has issued a correction as of 11:24 on Apr 11, 2020

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

not an endorsement posted:

:catstare:

love how those papers on country-based correlations count "current bcg vaccine schedule" as the proxy variable for "people vaccined for bcg", despite several of the countries listed as not having a current schedule having one in the past which would have covered the boomers

http://www.bcgatlas.org/

almost as if... the countries which still actively vaccinate bcg... also just have a more serious handling of their public health departments???

anyway i don't mind these papers being published as they can be followed by in-vitro and in-vivo works and more granular retrospective cohort studies of individuals, but boy do i hate normie science-illiterate news outlets misreading an abstract and farting information for people to panic about like hyroxyfuckingcodone

Bcg is the official witch doctor magic cure this thread has decided will save us so it’s not like that other witch doctor magic cure trump pushes

Owlofcreamcheese has issued a correction as of 11:29 on Apr 11, 2020

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Big Cooty Gams

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Also, don't forget that viable virus survived for 17 days on the Diamond Princess! Just because we haven't found proven cases of surface transmission more than like an hour old doesn't mean that they're not happening, it just means that it would be incredibly difficult or impossible to prove that it happened. Like many things about the virus, there's just no way of knowing. Who knows if more people are getting it from a stray breeze versus a surface touched by somebody in the crowd who is long gone.

I want to find the source on this again (I do remember reading it), because “detecting the RNA” and “detecting a viable virus” are two different things that have been conflated a couple times now, it seems. The most recent thing I saw was someone testing that 1/3/7 day surface test that’s been “common knowledge” and getting a positive RNA result, but attempting to use that sample to reproduce failed, indicating the RNA persisted but the shell had been rendered inert at some point earlier than expected.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Eat This Glob posted:

my spouse says our trumpbux are pending in our checking account. i think I gotta kick some of that to the local food bank

im mad jelly.

where the gently caress are my trump dollahs?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Flesh Forge posted:

So today, the story is Coronavirus is much less lethal than the flu but 10 times more infectious than anyone realizes

https://twitter.com/Sublux8tor/status/1248883827004420096

:confuoot:

its actually the best case scenario!!

They've been saying this poo poo since early March, it's only recently caught on with the moron crowd.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I was reading an article in a regional Dutch newspaper about some recent discoveries made by local doctors regarding the role of bradykinin in the secondary and potentially lethal stage of COVID-19, the cytokine storm and resulting ARDS.

It took me a while but I think I now understand the underlying mechanism which would explain why BCG would have a protective effect in COVID-19 infections:

SARS-CoV-2 occupies ACE2 receptors. With endogenous ACE2 no longer able to bind to these receptors, the affect of ACE2 in modulating DABK/bradykinin receptor B1 (BKB1R) axis signaling is impaired. This then results in a release of proinflammatory chemokines such as C-X-C motif chemokine 5 (CXCL5), macrophage inflammatory protein-2 (MIP2), C-X-C motif chemokine 1 (KC), and TNF-α from airway epithelia, increased neutrophil infiltration, and exaggerated lung inflammation and injury. A reduction in pulmonary ACE2 activity contributes to the pathogenesis of lung inflammation, in part because of an impaired ability to inhibit DABK/BKB1R axis-mediated signaling, resulting in more prompt onset of neutrophil infiltration and more severe inflammation in the lung. Antiserum neutralizing endogenous TNF alpha abolishes the response to bradykinin, whereas antisera neutralizing endogenous IL-1 beta, IL-6 and IL-8 each partially inhibit the response. The combination of antisera neutralizing endogenous IL-1 beta+IL-8 or IL-6+IL-8 abolish the response to bradykinin. As BCG has been found to significantly increase the presence of both IL-6 and IL-8, their increased presence in tandem can then inhibit the response upon DABK/BKB1R axis-mediated signaling by brandykinin, and thus limit the lung inflammation and injury which would otherwise thus normally be mediated by ACE2. Thus the potential for the onset of ARDS is reduced, preventing death.

bing bong

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28935640/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8298813/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2824844/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3294426/

twoday has issued a correction as of 11:47 on Apr 11, 2020

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
in the next few days the government will announce they've found a vaccine, and immediately begin injecting everyone in the country with a mixture of antifreeze and mercury and our long nightmare will be over, back to work by tuesday everybody woo

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

twoday posted:

I was reading an article in a regional Dutch newspaper about some recent discoveries made by local doctors regarding the role of bradykinin in the secondary and potentially lethal stage of COVID-19, the cytokine storm.

It took me a while but I think I now understand the underlying mechanism which would explain why BCG would have a protective effect in COVID-19 infections:

SARS-CoV-2 occupies ACE2 receptors. With endogenous ACE2 no longer able to bind to these receptors, the affect of ACE2 in modulating DABK/bradykinin receptor B1 (BKB1R) axis signaling is impaired. This then results in a release of proinflammatory chemokines such as C-X-C motif chemokine 5 (CXCL5), macrophage inflammatory protein-2 (MIP2), C-X-C motif chemokine 1 (KC), and TNF-α from airway epithelia, increased neutrophil infiltration, and exaggerated lung inflammation and injury. A reduction in pulmonary ACE2 activity contributes to the pathogenesis of lung inflammation, in part because of an impaired ability to inhibit DABK/BKB1R axis-mediated signaling, resulting in more prompt onset of neutrophil infiltration and more severe inflammation in the lung. Antiserum neutralizing endogenous TNF alpha abolishes the response to bradykinin, whereas antisera neutralizing endogenous IL-1 beta, IL-6 and IL-8 each partially inhibit the response. The combination of antisera neutralizing endogenous IL-1 beta+IL-8 or IL-6+IL-8 abolish the response to bradykinin. As BCG has been found to significantly increase the presence of both IL-6 and IL-8, their increased presence in tandem can then inhibit the effect of bradykinin upon DABK/BKB1R axis-mediated signaling, and thus limit the lung inflammation and injury which would otherwise thus normally be mediated by ACE2.

bing bong

That's cool. So we're not necessarily looking for ways to clear the actual virus, but ways to modulate the body's response to it. I think that makes sense.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

twoday posted:

I was reading an article in a regional Dutch newspaper about some recent discoveries made by local doctors regarding the role of bradykinin in the secondary and potentially lethal stage of COVID-19, the cytokine storm and resulting ARDS.

SARS-CoV-2 occupies ACE2 receptors. With endogenous ACE2 no longer able to bind to these receptors, the affect of ACE2 in modulating DABK/bradykinin receptor B1 (BKB1R) axis signaling is impaired. This then results in a release of proinflammatory chemokines such as C-X-C motif chemokine 5 (CXCL5), macrophage inflammatory protein-2 (MIP2), C-X-C motif chemokine 1 (KC), and TNF-α from airway epithelia, increased neutrophil infiltration, and exaggerated lung inflammation and injury. A reduction in pulmonary ACE2 activity contributes to the pathogenesis of lung inflammation, in part because of an impaired ability to inhibit DABK/BKB1R axis-mediated signaling, resulting in more prompt onset of neutrophil infiltration and more severe inflammation in the lung. Antiserum neutralizing endogenous TNF alpha abolishes the response to bradykinin, whereas antisera neutralizing endogenous IL-1 beta, IL-6 and IL-8 each partially inhibit the response. The combination of antisera neutralizing endogenous IL-1 beta+IL-8 or IL-6+IL-8 abolish the response to bradykinin. As BCG has been found to significantly increase the presence of both IL-6 and IL-8, their increased presence in tandem can then inhibit the effect of bradykinin upon DABK/BKB1R axis-mediated signaling, and thus limit the lung inflammation and injury which would otherwise thus normally be mediated by ACE2. Thus the potential for the onset of ARDS is reduced, preventing death.

bing bong

i think that's a completely valid thing to investigate in doing a systematic review of inpatient cases released v. dead, but the potential mediation effect of bcg on a lethal respiratory inflammation cascade doesn't even fit the narrative that people are leaping to that having the vaccine decreases likelihood of being a case at all, just mortality figures

twoday
May 4, 2005

i think that's a completely valid thing to investigate in doing a systematic review of inpatient cases released v. dead, but the potential mediation effect of bcg on a lethal respiratory inflammation cascade doesn't even fit the narrative that people are leaping to that having the vaccine decreases likelihood of being a case at all, just mortality figures

Yeah my hunch is that it reduces mortality figures mostly, rather than case rates. However, if this mechanism reduces the ability of the virus to multiply in the lungs then it would also reduce viral load and prevent spread, by effectively inducing herd immunity

But I really have no idea what I'm talking about, just spit balling here

twoday
May 4, 2005

Dixville posted:

That's cool. So we're not necessarily looking for ways to clear the actual virus, but ways to modulate the body's response to it. I think that makes sense.

:shrug:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Listen, primitive cultures take random plants and leaves when they have a plague, as an 'modern' culture we just look at the hundreds of medicines that exist and randomly cling to pushing one as the secret cure. Conservatives picked quinine because of the association with rugged manly explorers in pith helmets old people remember from media of their youth. Out of the dozens of studies potential treatments lefty twitter picked tuberculosis vaccine as the magic cure because of it's association with soviet states and history of being a snake oil cure for everything from HIV to diabetes.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I wonder why the % of positive tests and hospitalizations are decreasing in NY but people dying at home is increasing and their average weekly deaths are way above rate.

:thunk:

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

twoday posted:

SARS-CoV-2 occupies ACE2 receptors. With endogenous ACE2 no longer able to bind to these receptors, the affect of ACE2 in modulating DABK/bradykinin receptor B1 (BKB1R) axis signaling is impaired. This then results in a release of proinflammatory chemokines such as C-X-C motif chemokine 5 (CXCL5), macrophage inflammatory protein-2 (MIP2), C-X-C motif chemokine 1 (KC), and TNF-α from airway epithelia, increased neutrophil infiltration, and exaggerated lung inflammation and injury. A reduction in pulmonary ACE2 activity contributes to the pathogenesis of lung inflammation, in part because of an impaired ability to inhibit DABK/BKB1R axis-mediated signaling, resulting in more prompt onset of neutrophil infiltration and more severe inflammation in the lung. Antiserum neutralizing endogenous TNF alpha abolishes the response to bradykinin, whereas antisera neutralizing endogenous IL-1 beta, IL-6 and IL-8 each partially inhibit the response. The combination of antisera neutralizing endogenous IL-1 beta+IL-8 or IL-6+IL-8 abolish the response to bradykinin. As BCG has been found to significantly increase the presence of both IL-6 and IL-8, their increased presence in tandem can then inhibit the response upon DABK/BKB1R axis-mediated signaling by brandykinin, and thus limit the lung inflammation and injury which would otherwise thus normally be mediated by ACE2. Thus the potential for the onset of ARDS is reduced, preventing death.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

WarEternal posted:

I wonder why the % of positive tests and hospitalizations are decreasing in NY but people dying at home is increasing and their average weekly deaths are way above rate.

:thunk:

its because the economy, people need to get back to work asap