Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the reason people are reacting like that is because we've been in 'heroes just barged in and VA are scrambling' mode for months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Eraserhead can cancel Shigaraki's power, and the high ends are getting trashed too, so tbh I think the heroes are just going to win this one all around.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Badactura posted:

Eraserhead can cancel Shigaraki's power, and the high ends are getting trashed too, so tbh I think the heroes are just going to win this one all around.

This makes no sense from a narrative perspective. The heroes have been winning this whole arc. If the heroes have an unqualified victory, then this was all building up to nothing.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Arist posted:

I think part of it's definitely that reusing the same cliffhanger in consecutive chapters kind of lays bare that we're all still waiting for the other shoe to drop, and makes it feel like nothing's really happening. As it stands this chapter seems to exist primarily so Mirko doesn't die.

Which, yeah, sure. I support that.

Reusing cliffhangers blows for sure. It wasn't too long ago where we had like 3 consecutive chapters of "Kurogiri is Shirakumo and Eraser is sad" and that was boring and terrible.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This arc is pretty solid except some of the action is a little hard to follow--like I'm not sure what happened at the end of the chapter last week.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering how action heavy this current arc is I imagine it’ll probably flow a lot better in the anime than it currently does in the manga. Still good though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Badactura posted:

One of the High Ends already managed to get around Eraserhead's quirk and do enough damage to let another one drag Mirko and Endeavor away from Shigaraki. His quirk is strong, but it's been proven time and time again to not be a guaranteed win.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm surprised people aren't feeling this arc. Like yeah action isn't the comic's strong suit but the chapters we got on Twice and Hawks were some of the best stuff MHA's had in ages and we've only just switched away from that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm surprised people aren't feeling this arc. Like yeah action isn't the comic's strong suit but the chapters we got on Twice and Hawks were some of the best stuff MHA's had in ages and we've only just switched away from that.

the twice and hawks stuff reminded me that MHA can be a lot better than it's been lately, so it felt jarring to go back to finishing a chapter and going 'oh, that's it?'

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
we'll see how everything here shakes out but right now it's looking like the heroes' advantage is going to go poof the moment shigaraki wakes up, and that's been sort of a recurring problem with this manga in general - when two groups of characters go at it, there's seldom a believable power struggle between them, just a one-sided rout that will maybe about-face if horikoshi flips the "you lose" switch

sometimes this is neat to see anyway (bakugo's Class B steamrolling comes to mind) but this battle's been built up for months and we've been getting week after week of the heroes still doing a saucy two-step all over the villains' faces while horikoshi's fingers creep ever closer to that switch

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr. Fowl posted:

This arc is pretty solid except some of the action is a little hard to follow--like I'm not sure what happened at the end of the chapter last week.

Mirko realized the High-Ends are getting fully operational and she couldn't deal damage to them anymore, so she switched to "The mission above all" mode (similar to Hawks, actually), and sprinted off. Only one High-End managed to keep up with her, and skewered her just as she was about to boot Shigaraki's capsule into the void dimension. Right as that's happening, a fireblast builds up behind the High-End and Endeavor dunks its head into the ground, pulling the skewers out of her legs and giving her time to finish the kick on the capsule.

This week, we got a brief rewind, showing how Endeavor's team caught up with Mirko and how the High-Ends were able to very quickly analyze the reinforcements and recognize that Eraser was the one locking them down. With the help of Acid Lady, Bone Tentacles was able to push off Endeavor briefly and re-skewer Mirko, pull her off the capsule (turning her kick into a glancing blow), and flung her into Endeavor, sending the two of them hurtling backwards into Dr. Garaki's main office.

Right now, Dr. Garaki is panicking because the capsule is critically damaged, while everyone is in the other room and have just heard Mirko warn them that they have to go shut it down before Shigaraki wakes up. In all likelihood the next thing Dr. Garaki does is pull Shigaraki out of stasis early to avoid him dying outright -- 75% Shigaraki is better than -1% Shigaraki -- right as Endeavor, Eraser, and the other heroes (sans Mirko) burst into the back office.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I've been really enjoying this arc. This chapter was kind of weak, and it's a bummer that it's the one right before an unexpected break, but if it means Mirko won't die when Shigaraki wakes up then it's worth it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Brother Entropy posted:

the twice and hawks stuff reminded me that MHA can be a lot better than it's been lately, so it felt jarring to go back to finishing a chapter and going 'oh, that's it?'

Oxxidation posted:

sometimes this is neat to see anyway (bakugo's Class B steamrolling comes to mind) but this battle's been built up for months and we've been getting week after week of the heroes still doing a saucy two-step all over the villains' faces while horikoshi's fingers creep ever closer to that switch

:yeah:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I feel like the heroes aren't steamrolling the villains as much as people are making it out to be. Like things are going well at the mansion raid, but Dabi managed to severely injured Hawks and at least one Twice clone was able to last long enough to save Toga and Compress from getting captured. At the hospital, the nomu army has been slowing the heroes down considerably, leaving Mirko to face off against the High Ends alone. She managed to kill one half-awakened nomu at the cost of her arm, but once the rest were fully awakened, she couldn't touch them. Once she realized this, she went for a kamikaze attack on Shigaraki that got her torn up and only managing to damage his tube. Even with the arrival of Endeavor, Eraserhead, and the rest, the High Ends have successfully managed to maneuver around Eraserhead's quirk and push the heroes back from the doctor and Shigaraki.

The heroes have the advantage, but they haven't been untouchable in this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This manga is just further and further delays until we finally get to that sweet sweet fireworks factory.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Shigaraki not getting time to go 100% is likely to be what even leaves hope for the UA Kids after this arc.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Shiggy goes 100% but then Eri rewinds him to 50%, a feat that expends all her horn juice for another 50 chapters.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Please don't call it horn juice.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

oh jay posted:

Shiggy goes 100% but then Eri rewinds him to 50%, a feat that expends all her horn juice for another 50 chapters.

The series ends with Eri rewinding Shigaraki into a quirkless child with no memories. Deku, having also lost his quirk at this point, decides to raise little Tenko as his own and becomes the greatest hero of all: a father.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Please don't call it horn juice.

Horn juice is what you call the munchkin. Her father is called Spiral Energy.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I was just thinking on it: Do you think Toga could turn into Twice and use his quirk here?

Is there any rule to her quirk about copying people posthumously? Presuming she recently drank their blood or keeps some handy. e: I guess she might not know all the clone measurements and stuff like Twice did. Hmm.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 13, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

RareAcumen posted:

Horn juice is what you call the munchkin. Her father is called Spiral Energy.

Waiting for someone who's quirk is manifesting gigantic drills into a matryoshka doll of drill based robots.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

The series ends with Eri rewinding Shigaraki into a quirkless child with no memories. Deku, having also lost his quirk at this point, decides to raise little Tenko as his own and becomes the greatest hero of all: a father.

:hmmyes:

I would actually be okay with this ending.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

drat, people, it's the tenth chapter of the arc. Even in big action set pieces, it's okay to let things breathe slightly.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Shere posted:

I was just thinking on it: Do you think Toga could turn into Twice and use his quirk here?

Is there any rule to her quirk about copying people posthumously? Presuming she recently drank their blood or keeps some handy. e: I guess she might not know all the clone measurements and stuff like Twice did. Hmm.

This is actually my prediction for how it's going to turn-around for the villains. Shigaraki is going to wake-up and Gigantomacia is going to go berserk, but Toga getting to pull off a Sad Girls Parade as well after finding Twices body and draining it would be sick as hell. It would also be fantastic character development for her to have to do that for a fallen friend instead of out of horniness love.

Or maybe we're going to get swerved hardcore, all the villains get captured and we finally get the Tartarus break-out.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

drat, people, it's the tenth chapter of the arc. Even in big action set pieces, it's okay to let things breathe slightly.

Ikr, so frickin impatient.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Im definitely being impatient, which mostly comes from normally reading manga in big chunks rather then following week to week.

Idk, but I still think the heroes will win. People are saying it wouldn't make sense, and would ruin the narrative build-up, but that's already been happening. Hirokoshi has shown a lot of reluctance to kill his darlings, case in point being Mirko, the character who should have died this chapter. Same with Hawks: Dabi killing Hawks after Hawks killing Twice would have both made sense and raised the stakes. Instead both characters get last minute rescues.

Same with Twice dying. We get a story about this dude, and we get asked to invest in his characters life and his cool power upgrade and he's dead without doing anything the next arc he has a major role in. To me that's a major waste of a narrative build-up, and I can see it happening with the villain stuff in general when Hirokoshi is taking pains to make sure no cool hero has been in danger for more then a chapter cliff hanger. It even happened in miniature with liberation electroman. He gets a panel as a tough liberation fighter and then goes down immediately.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

We haven't even seen Deku's group since this all started. They'll probably be the ones who will have to deal with things once poo poo goes sideways.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Badactura posted:

Im definitely being impatient, which mostly comes from normally reading manga in big chunks rather then following week to week.

Idk, but I still think the heroes will win. People are saying it wouldn't make sense, and would ruin the narrative build-up, but that's already been happening. Hirokoshi has shown a lot of reluctance to kill his darlings, case in point being Mirko, the character who should have died this chapter. Same with Hawks: Dabi killing Hawks after Hawks killing Twice would have both made sense and raised the stakes. Instead both characters get last minute rescues.

Same with Twice dying. We get a story about this dude, and we get asked to invest in his characters life and his cool power upgrade and he's dead without doing anything the next arc he has a major role in. To me that's a major waste of a narrative build-up, and I can see it happening with the villain stuff in general when Hirokoshi is taking pains to make sure no cool hero has been in danger for more then a chapter cliff hanger. It even happened in miniature with liberation electroman. He gets a panel as a tough liberation fighter and then goes down immediately.

I was thinking about this, how was it that Dabi's flames didn't charr Hawks? Was Dabi playing with his food in that case and he's able to control the temperature of the flames?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SKULL.GIF posted:

Mirko realized the High-Ends are getting fully operational and she couldn't deal damage to them anymore, so she switched to "The mission above all" mode (similar to Hawks, actually), and sprinted off. Only one High-End managed to keep up with her, and skewered her just as she was about to boot Shigaraki's capsule into the void dimension. Right as that's happening, a fireblast builds up behind the High-End and Endeavor dunks its head into the ground, pulling the skewers out of her legs and giving her time to finish the kick on the capsule.

This week, we got a brief rewind, showing how Endeavor's team caught up with Mirko and how the High-Ends were able to very quickly analyze the reinforcements and recognize that Eraser was the one locking them down. With the help of Acid Lady, Bone Tentacles was able to push off Endeavor briefly and re-skewer Mirko, pull her off the capsule (turning her kick into a glancing blow), and flung her into Endeavor, sending the two of them hurtling backwards into Dr. Garaki's main office.

Right now, Dr. Garaki is panicking because the capsule is critically damaged, while everyone is in the other room and have just heard Mirko warn them that they have to go shut it down before Shigaraki wakes up. In all likelihood the next thing Dr. Garaki does is pull Shigaraki out of stasis early to avoid him dying outright -- 75% Shigaraki is better than -1% Shigaraki -- right as Endeavor, Eraser, and the other heroes (sans Mirko) burst into the back office.

No, I meant last week. I was a little vague on what was going on with the cuts between Hawks and Tokoyami at the end.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Wouldn't be My Hero Academia if the action scenes weren't borderline indecipherable and framed like garbage.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

JackDarko posted:

I was thinking about this, how was it that Dabi's flames didn't charr Hawks? Was Dabi playing with his food in that case and he's able to control the temperature of the flames?

I mean, the flames scarred his face and destroyed most of his feathers. I agree that Hawks deserves much much worse but Dabi's attacks didn't bounce off or anything.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

JackDarko posted:

It doesn't make sense outside of author fiat to me.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

People are pretty resistant to fire in this world. Deku's been blasted by Shoto and Dabi's fire in the past and it didn't leave much lasting damage compared to the stuff he's done to himself.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rhonne posted:

People are pretty resistant to fire in this world. Deku's been blasted by Shoto and Dabi's fire in the past and it didn't leave much lasting damage compared to the stuff he's done to himself.

Bakugo has also blasted people directly in the face with nitroglycerin explosions a whole lot and none of them ever get permanently burned. The general damage level of fire or fire adjacent powers in MHA is like a zillion times lower than it would be in the real world to allow those powers to be used in fights, because in a more realistic world having the power to generate fire/explosions at a whim would mean you could kill or permanently maim people with no effort with glancing blows.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Dabi won't kill Hawks. Bakugo will for hurting Best Jeanist.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

A Bug posted:

Dabi won't kill Hawks. Bakugo will for hurting Best Jeanist.

Allegedly

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kanos posted:

Bakugo has also blasted people directly in the face with nitroglycerin explosions a whole lot and none of them ever get permanently burned. The general damage level of fire or fire adjacent powers in MHA is like a zillion times lower than it would be in the real world to allow those powers to be used in fights, because in a more realistic world having the power to generate fire/explosions at a whim would mean you could kill or permanently maim people with no effort with glancing blows.

Once again, as I've brought up before during the Mushroom choke scene, MHA's tolerance on violence is a constantly shifting target and only ever matters if the story stops and tells you to care about it in some way. Trying to puzzle it out will lead down to madness of accusing the kids of trying to openly murder each other while teachers look on nodding.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Kanos posted:

Isn't fire like that in basically every manga not named Fullmetal Alchemist?

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

oh jay posted:

Allegedly

Fair enough. Bakugo will allegedly kill Hawks.

But jokes aside, I hope Best Jeanist is still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Mirko dying here woulda kinda sucked after she pulled off the best showing of any top 3 hero since all might was around