Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

A talking coyote posted:

This might be a dumb question but here goes, what do you guys do with your old TVs? I used to just give them to friends and family but that was easier about a decade ago when there was still a handful of crts and old school flatscreens around.

I’m finally going to bite the bullet and jump to 4K with some of the bells and whistles but I don’t want to purchase anything if I can’t figure out what to do with my old one besides just curbside donation. Mostly because it’s been raining around here recently.

The other day I put one out in the alley with a "Works Just Fine" sign taped to it and it was gone before I could walk back inside. I live in Chicago though so YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My 70" Sharp has been sitting in our dining room/renovation area for a few months now. It's too big for trash pickup and they drop off site closed up until May 1st.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Post it on Craigslist at a great price. Someone with a truck will come take it off your hands. Got rid of one of those 73" Mitsubishi DLP TVs this way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Splinter posted:

Post it on Craigslist at a great price. Someone with a truck will come take it off your hands. Got rid of one of those 73" Mitsubishi DLP TVs this way.

Nah, I don't want anyone from CL coming to my house. I'd rather cut it up with my sawzall and dump a few pieces every week.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Splinter posted:

When I sold my last house I left my 73" DLP there.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
People who think "people from craigslist" are weirdos are definitely weirder than the people from craigslist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

American McGay posted:

People who think "people from craigslist" are weirdos are definitely weirder than the people from craigslist.

Look buddy I use CL all the time and I'm a fuckin weirdo. You think I want people like me showing up where I live?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

You think I want people like me showing up where I live?

This is a strong argument.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But for real, it's heavily stressed when you sell anything locally that you meet in a public place during the day, usually a bank or in front of a police station is ideal.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Guess I’ll throw it up for 50 bucks and see what happens, and just curb it when the rain lets up if there aren’t any takers.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I feel the whole meet up in public deal is overkill for cheap items. If you're buying or selling a high priced item like a nice laptop or mountain bike, by all means meet in a public place. But people trying to rob you via craigslist aren't targeting sub $100 "please take my junk so I don't feel bad about throwing it in the trash" posts. I've sold a lot of stuff from my house because it is usually stuff that isn't worth my time to go to a parking lot to wait around for someone (or something too big for that, like a large TV). Never had any issues. That said, I live in a fairly busy area and like to live dangerously.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Can also try selling on nextdoor or equivalent

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Dogen posted:

Lets not get too crazy here. I'd rather cut off all my limbs with my sawzall than talk to someone from nextdoor in the flesh.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I gave mine to a friend but you could reach out to a local charity, shelter, youth program, etc. and see if they wanted a spare. Pretty much anything over 5 years old gets left out on the sidewalk around here.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Dogen posted:

Offerup or Facebook Marketplace are easy too, though on any of those you can end up with people who respond and then ghost. It's annoying, especially if you're already offering it for free or at low-cost.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dang, looks like the CX series has landed on Amazon

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

morestuff posted:

The other day I put one out in the alley with a "Works Just Fine" sign taped to it and it was gone before I could walk back inside. I live in Chicago though so YMMV

I did this with my old flat screen, set it on the curb, went inside to grab the remote to put with it and the TV was already gone by the time I went back out. Pretty sure one our hoarder neighbors took it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Costco display-model 65C9 for $1400? Not sure how bad the video loop would burn in.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Paul MaudDib posted:

Costco display-model 65C9 for $1400? Not sure how bad the video loop would burn in.
Check the fine print on the tag. They might throw in the 3 year Squaretrade warranty with the pricetag.

If it covers burn-in, then why not.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Hey guys I think I've settled on a TV but I can't figure out something about the model number. When I go to best buy's website to purchase a product I found the Samsung TV that I want and its model number is UN55RU8000FXZC, while on rtings.com the model number doesn't have the FXZC. Google tries to auto correct it to FXZA but I can't seem to find the specific difference between the plain old RU8000 model, the RU8000FXZC and RU8000FXZA. What is the difference between the three? Does it just have to do with the country?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
All TVs have different codes pertaining to the country, the store they're sold in, what kind of remote it does or doesn't come with etc

RU8000 is the actual model number, don't worry about anything else

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Best buy specifically gets different models made so they don't have to price match.

Not a bad choice for gaming -- freesync and 120hz @ 1440p and 1080P. It is not, however, a very good TV for HDR content as it's not bright enough.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Terebus posted:

Hey guys I think I've settled on a TV but I can't figure out something about the model number. When I go to best buy's website to purchase a product I found the Samsung TV that I want and its model number is UN55RU8000FXZC, while on rtings.com the model number doesn't have the FXZC. Google tries to auto correct it to FXZA but I can't seem to find the specific difference between the plain old RU8000 model, the RU8000FXZC and RU8000FXZA. What is the difference between the three? Does it just have to do with the country?

I don't know if it's reflected in the model number, but I do know the RU8000 has at least two sub-versions depending on the supplier of the panel. One version has a Samsung panel, the other version(s) is/are supplied by other companies, possibly AUO or CSOT. It's discussed in the last 2-3 pages of this thread on AVS forum:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3067630-2019-samsung-ru8000-owner-s-thread-9.html

Some people say the Samsung version of the panel is actually not as good as the version from the other supplier, but I don't know of any hard evidence of that.

The RU8000 is not good for HDR, and it's not quite price/feature competitive with the Chinese brands, but overall it gets solid reviews from the general public.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 9, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

When the CX hits Costco it will be hard to resist, my 55” panny plasma wants to become a 65” CX...

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Thanks for the model number clarification. I saw that its not the best for HDR viewing but I think it'll be okay. Im going to be using it in a dark room anyway, and I think it should last me at least a 5 years. I bought it for $650 CAD so I think that's a pretty decent deal. What kind of tests should I put it through when it arrives. I saw some places say that I should put on a white background and look for any dead pixels. Anything else I should look out for?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I'd put on some solid color backgrounds (white, gray, red, yellow etc.) and look for dead pixels (it's not uncommon to have a few, though) and look for areas that seem unusually dark or discolored. And of course, watch TV as you normally would and see if you notice any significant problems. After you watch it for a bit I'm interested to hear how you like it. I probably would have bought one of these already but the virus and shelter in place would make it a pain in the rear end. And I kind of need a wider viewing angle.

People in that AVS forum thread I posted above have listed some of their preferred settings, and RTINGs has some recommended settings here:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ru8000/settings

but your preferences may vary.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I've been out of the TV game for a while and need help buying a new one. I have an 800 dollar budget, and want something between 55 and 60 inches. Is there a solid tv from costco I should look at, and is now a good time to grab one? I also live in the states, thanks!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Veskit posted:

I've been out of the TV game for a while and need help buying a new one. I have an 800 dollar budget, and want something between 55 and 60 inches. Is there a solid tv from costco I should look at, and is now a good time to grab one? I also live in the states, thanks!

I dunno about costco. Here's the best tv in your budget on amazon according to rtings. https://www.amazon.com/Hisense-65H9F-65-inch-Ultra-Android/dp/B07P1YSJ55

edit: ugh saw you said 60 and not 65, 55 and 65 are the common sizes

vvv also a great option

Dogen fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 12, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Here ya go.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6367716.p?skuId=6367716

Use the extra $300 to buy a nice soundbar or something.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Dogen posted:

I dunno about costco. Here's the best tv in your budget on amazon according to rtings. https://www.amazon.com/Hisense-65H9F-65-inch-Ultra-Android/dp/B07P1YSJ55

edit: ugh saw you said 60 and not 65, 55 and 65 are the common sizes

vvv also a great option

I could go 65 if need be honestly.

Even better a new receiver!!!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah if you have some speakers already, you can def get a decent modern receiver for $300.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Your local Costco might have 55" TCL 6 Series (2018 version) TVs for $400 (they're sold out online but I've still seen them in store), which is a great price. If not, the Hisense H8F is $400 and roughly equivalent in quality to the TCL 6 series (according to rtings). The Hisense H9F is a step up from the H8F or TCL 6 series, though it doesn't look like the 55" version of the H9F is stocked anywhere anymore, so you'd have to go 65" for that. If you've been out of the game for a while, I'd wager the TCL 6 Series or H8F will look great to you, but I'd check out reviews on rtings to any of their deficiencies are worth paying a few hundred extra to remedy (https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch & https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch both have full ratings tables at the bottom).

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Is this a good place to get a receiver suggestion also?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Veskit posted:

Is this a good place to get a receiver suggestion also?

I would also be interested in this. If I get a 4K tv I will need a receiver that can process and pass 4K too. Just a simple 5.1 setup, so don’t need a lot of channels.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389259

Quick recommendation would be a yamaha v385 or maybe a 485? Seems like a lot of deals aren't as good or things are out of stock right now.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Speaking of receivers, would I be missing out on anything by using my existing 10 year old receiver (Yamaha V667) with a brand new TV? I imagine I couldn’t plug a PS5 into directly into it since it isn’t built to pass 4K signals. Would connecting the PS5 directly to the TV and then using the optical out on the TV to send sound back to the receiver work just as well?

Edit: I guess I could use HDMI Audio Return Channel instead of optical too, if one is better than the other.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 13, 2020

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Tacier posted:

Speaking of receivers, would I be missing out on anything by using my existing 10 year old receiver (Yamaha V667) with a brand new TV? I imagine I couldn’t plug a PS5 into directly into it since it isn’t built to pass 4K signals. Would connecting the PS5 directly to the TV and then using the optical out on the TV to send sound back to the receiver work just as well?

Edit: I guess I could use HDMI Audio Return Channel instead of optical too, if one is better than the other.

You're not really going to miss out on much. You've covered the obvious, and you won't get any super fancy audio like Dolby Atmos. I'd say use ARC if you can, one less cable and optical can occasionally be finicky, and if the TV takes over processing to DD5.1 it may introduce some slight audio lag.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Denon X1500/X1600 on accessories4less.com is a good bet. Or A-series Yamahas if they have them in stock. Buying the cheapest model of the higher range typically gets better features and quality.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I couldn't find a Denon X1x00 at a decent price point but yes, that would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55R625 $500 shipped - includes 2 free Google Home minis.