Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

I got tired of burning to death and did this real quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOSLkV6H99k&t=75s

I was expecting it to take a few tries after struggling with it so much the first time, but that actually felt really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

roadhead posted:

I was expecting it to take a few tries after struggling with it so much the first time, but that actually felt really good.

Why do both of the videos you've posted from the last couple of pages look like the contrast is so blown out? Idk if it's just however you recorded it but it looks like it would be super distracting.

Also, drat, I keep forgetting that I've never really beaten the DoH without cheesing him the first time I played it and got the platinum that way, but I'm on NG+6 and breezing through everything, about to fight Owl Dad and True Monk which are always the most difficult. But I'll probably do a NG run for DoH, don't feel like actually learning the third phase, or remembering what the second is like on NG+6 for the first time.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Imhotep posted:

Why do both of the videos you've posted from the last couple of pages look like the contrast is so blown out? Idk if it's just however you recorded it but it looks like it would be super distracting.

Also, drat, I keep forgetting that I've never really beaten the DoH without cheesing him the first time I played it and got the platinum that way, but I'm on NG+6 and breezing through everything, about to fight Owl Dad and True Monk which are always the most difficult. But I'll probably do a NG run for DoH, don't feel like actually learning the third phase, or remembering what the second is like on NG+6 for the first time.

I assume this is because i'm using HDR on PS4, you're right the quality is pretty bad once it hits twitch/youtube - it looks much better playing it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

roadhead posted:

The best part of NG+ was seeing how much better I'd gotten at the game

For the first parts I'd assumed it was just having more gear and options - and to a degree it was, I still think the early part of this game is overtuned to hell against newbies - but by the time I got here to Guardian Ape I'd realized 90% of it was me, and that felt good :shobon:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

roadhead posted:

I assume this is because i'm using HDR on PS4, you're right the quality is pretty bad once it hits twitch/youtube - it looks much better playing it.

I turned off HDR on PS4 and for some reason the game looked ten times better. It looks as if HDR just rams up the gamma when it’s on and nothing else. Every other game looks better with it on except Sekiro. Genuinely makes me wonder if the on/off is switched around

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

https://clips.twitch.tv/BenevolentZanyTortoisePanicVis

This happened right after I beat SSi in NG+ - I was pretty close to that next skill point and went to my preferred XP farming spot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBNwtD5lzUw&t=675s

Third time was the charm with Prologue Geni, and it seems like the color is a lot better if I do a after the fact capture instead of streaming to twitch and then putting on youtube.

Tried DoH a few more times and I got the first deathblow a couple of time but still not consistently, its more like fighting the big Ogre enemies than any other boss I feel.

roadhead fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 25, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Come, Sekiro

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aidan_702 posted:

I turned off HDR on PS4 and for some reason the game looked ten times better. It looks as if HDR just rams up the gamma when it’s on and nothing else. Every other game looks better with it on except Sekiro. Genuinely makes me wonder if the on/off is switched around

The HDR settings have a saturation slider along with the usual HDR controls, so it needs some tweaking. You can make the game super overly vibrant, or (my personal choice) drop it down to zero to play a real weird Kurosawa movie.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Its weird how on my third playthrough I still find myself needing reminders of how to get somewhere for the first time.

Now that I'm following a guide for it, I apparently almost lucked into the Dragon's Return ending on my first mostly blind playthrough, just needed the Fresh Viscera I think, which I never figured out.

Yea, I used a lot of rice once I had access to it :)

Sequencing in this game is really cool, I've taken three totally different 'routes' on each playthrough of the early game, keeps the repeats fresh I feel.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Lol I just got to the guardian ape and holy poo poo phase 2 is Sif from Dark Souls

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT13E6qZ4b0

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

roadhead posted:

Its weird how on my third playthrough I still find myself needing reminders of how to get somewhere for the first time.

Now that I'm following a guide for it, I apparently almost lucked into the Dragon's Return ending on my first mostly blind playthrough, just needed the Fresh Viscera I think, which I never figured out.

Yea, I used a lot of rice once I had access to it :)

Sequencing in this game is really cool, I've taken three totally different 'routes' on each playthrough of the early game, keeps the repeats fresh I feel.

I nearly lucked into it my first time through as well, except I never ate the rice ball Kuro gave me. I was saving it for a special occasion that never arrived.

Did, uh, did the PSN store just leak a Sekiro DLC to me? It was a new character in the field of grass from the beginning and ends of the game with a title of "Ghost of" something. When I clicked through, it said the content was unavailable. Suddenly, unexpectedly, hyped

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Raptor1033 posted:

I nearly lucked into it my first time through as well, except I never ate the rice ball Kuro gave me. I was saving it for a special occasion that never arrived.

Did, uh, did the PSN store just leak a Sekiro DLC to me? It was a new character in the field of grass from the beginning and ends of the game with a title of "Ghost of" something. When I clicked through, it said the content was unavailable. Suddenly, unexpectedly, hyped

Am I getting pranked or did you really just think the upcoming Ghost of Tsushima game is Sekiro DLC

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol whoops. No prank, never heard of this game. You gotta admit, it looks EXACTLY like how a Sekiro DLC would look with that particular screen. What is a "Strand-like" game?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Raptor1033 posted:

lol whoops. No prank, never heard of this game. You gotta admit, it looks EXACTLY like how a Sekiro DLC would look with that particular screen. What is a "Strand-like" game?

A Death Stranding-style hiking sim I guess?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Set in 1274 Japan?? SOLD!

edit: Wait. Practically the whole point of Death Stranding was pacifism, how are you gonna get away with that in a feudal era game?
jesus marketers are unoriginal as gently caress. That formula is going to get obliterated quickly
oh god these devs sound terrible!

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 12, 2020

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It's the new type of "souls-like" in that marketers will run that term into the ground because a game has social connections or people facing adversity or ladders. If you're wholly unfamiliar, it comes from the most recent Hideo Kojima game, Death Stranding.

this video is great and fully worth the whole watch. I had forgotten that one particular area would be so dangerous, till he poisoned himself.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Raptor1033 posted:

Set in 1274 Japan?? SOLD!

edit: Wait. Practically the whole point of Death Stranding was pacifism, how are you gonna get away with that in a feudal era game?
jesus marketers are unoriginal as gently caress. That formula is going to get obliterated quickly
oh god these devs sound terrible!

Are you having a stroke?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I dont think Ghost of Tsushima is a Strand game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CharlestonJew posted:

Are you having a stroke?

reads like a series of edits to me - kinda like one of my own post-editing sprees after I reply :justpost:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
yeah if I'm having rapid fire learning new things/ reactions I'd rather edit 30 seconds-2 min apart than string together 5 stream of thought posts. That's just rude!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm getting lot of freezing/crashing on PC ever since coming back after a break. I often freeze if I'm on a menu and don't hit a button for a while (although it has happened occasionally outside of menus) and I sometimes get crashes to desktop if there's a lot of stuff going on at once (lots of buildings on fire, something being sprayed into the camera, etc.)

I've tried everything I can think of: drivers are up-to-date, switching from full-screen to windowed, settings all to minimum, turned off overclocking on CPU and GPU, ran Steam as Admin and running in offline mode, turned off Steam controller compatibility. No dice.

Anyone else encounter this and manage to fix it?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Time_pants posted:

I'm getting lot of freezing/crashing on PC ever since coming back after a break. I often freeze if I'm on a menu and don't hit a button for a while (although it has happened occasionally outside of menus) and I sometimes get crashes to desktop if there's a lot of stuff going on at once (lots of buildings on fire, something being sprayed into the camera, etc.)

I've tried everything I can think of: drivers are up-to-date, switching from full-screen to windowed, settings all to minimum, turned off overclocking on CPU and GPU, ran Steam as Admin and running in offline mode, turned off Steam controller compatibility. No dice.

Anyone else encounter this and manage to fix it?
Quoting so I can find my old post about this, I had an extremely weird crashing issue that was fixed by strange RAM shenanigans.

EDIT:

quote:

OMG hell yes, quoting myself because I finally found The Solution. In Windows 10, going to System Properties > Advanced > Performance (Settings) > Advanced > Virtual Memory (Change) and checking "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" completely fixed my problem and the game runs like a dream. Apparently my system wasn't allocating enough virtual memory before and maybe this game for some reason uses an excessive amount of it?

I think other people having the same problem seem to have similarly old (but still perfectly fine) machines running Windows 10. Either way though, if you have an issue like mine with constant crashing definitely give this a try!

Time to cut some mans after waiting so long.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Raptor1033 posted:

it means it’s gonna be terrible poo poo garbage like death stranding

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Oh. One other thing. That lady is choking on my persimmons and has been for a long time now. I've tried leaving the area and coming back, resting multiple times at the bonfire, eavesdropping multiple times, and I cannot get her to quit her bellyaching. Is she just, like... dead? Is that the end of the Divine Child? Choked to death on a persimmon?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Go kill a boss.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I started a new charmless game up after months of not playing, and boy it's rough falling back in the groove.
Died an embarrassing amount to Butterfly, but then put down Genichiro first try.
Currently at Owl and a bit horrified I don't remember how to fight him, it is also pretty late though...

I died at "Roberrrtoooo!" :lol:

Genichiro just being an Isshin fight after an Isshin fight is pretty funny, but the screen monkeys, :wow:.
They really don't show the guardian ape fight though, so I guess it's not and Isshin that summons another Isshin halfway through.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

wyoming posted:

I died at "Roberrrtoooo!" :lol:

Genichiro just being an Isshin fight after an Isshin fight is pretty funny, but the screen monkeys, :wow:.
They really don't show the guardian ape fight though, so I guess it's not and Isshin that summons another Isshin halfway through.

My favorite part was the heavy coin bag dropping after he finished off Chained Isshin.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I’ve been playing FF7R a lot and decided to reinstall Sekiro and it’s still fun. I thought I was on NG+6, but I just can’t count, but on NG+5 w the demon bell active I just fought the True Monk and even though I get smashed by a lot of her attacks I still got quite a few consecutive deflects in and it felt pretty good, but still sad knowing that this is maybe the best I’ll ever get at any particular game and still die to this boss and take like enough damage to drink half my gourds or more. It’s fun when boss fights end up at the edge of the arena like this, and I’m so glad you can’t get pushed off because it feels even more tense when you get lucky here like I did https://youtu.be/o55O28ZO3l4

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Quick question about endings:
When is the latest I can beat Owl Father (dream/past-o-vision version) and still get The Goodest Ending?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The cutoff is killing the final boss of the Fountainhead, however it's only the cutoff for actually reaching the second memory area. Once you have that unlocked you could beat the boss after the final boss of the game if you want. You just need the item before talking to Kuro in the field to select your ending.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Time_pants posted:

When is the latest I can beat Owl Father (dream/past-o-vision version) and still get The Goodest Ending?

Excuse me but Dragon's Return > Purification

It is better than the default fo sure though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Purification is the most on-brand ending for a feudal Japanese retainer

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
also on brand if you're going for an "all immortals must die" sort of playthrough

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I'm fighting with my dad. This is really hard. Should I run away and bait the shuriken/jump combo? Should I get close and bait the bombs?

It seems like if I get cursed by the bombs he gets more aggressive which can work in my favor. Any tips would be welcome.

I hit massive walls on the 7 spears mini boss and genichiro took like 4 days playing an hour or so a day. The first ape fight took a while also but after that I steamrolled everything until big Dad.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
have you tried lighting your dad on fire

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Raptor1033 posted:

have you tried lighting your dad on fire

No, I should do that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

I'm fighting with my dad. This is really hard. Should I run away and bait the shuriken/jump combo? Should I get close and bait the bombs?

It seems like if I get cursed by the bombs he gets more aggressive which can work in my favor. Any tips would be welcome.

It was the biggest roadblock I hit I believe. It’s a weird boss in that there is no gimmick, there is no “oh you should’ve used this tool!”, it’s all about did you learn the fight, did you learn the moves and are you executing the counters properly.

So when he jumps in the air to hit you always side dodge and get in 2 hits, always make sure you avoid the healing orb and learn the range of it, learn the tell for the crazy firework combo and dodge forward to combo him. Try to learn parry timings when you can.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2065789896

I cheesed him on PS4, so doing it properly on PC felt p good.

A solid 60+ framerate makes a world of difference, I started to see tells and things I never noticed on my previous 5-6 playthroughs.

Really enjoyed having a fresh 'save' and really going from nothing, as I had spent so much time grinding and blindly exploring on my initial playthrough I never really knew where certain items were located as I'd been so confused when I found them about what they even did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Time_pants posted:

You have to unlock and enter the burning Hirata Estate before fighting the Divine Dragon. So long as you've done that, you can kill him at any point before talking to Kuro after killing Isshin.