Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Timothée Chalamet, walking, possibly without rythm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

the_american_dream posted:

Calamity Jane
Premiering in

17 weeks

Holy poo poo I forgot this existed completely

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I remember this show, it was set in St. Louis, Missouri, and I think they even made a super bowl episode during one of the years the St. Louis Rams won the Super Bowl, but they were 100% not filming in St. Louis.

Had to be 1999-2000 since the Rams have only won one Super Bowl (XXXIV). Disney likely used it for cross promotion since ABC aired it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://twitter.com/3CFilmReview/status/1240285323353042944

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have a strong feeling that movie is going to be my kind of trash.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Seems strange that we've had a few knock-off Five Nights At Freddy's movies but not the actual thing yet.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

Seems strange that we've had a few knock-off Five Nights At Freddy's movies but not the actual thing yet.
When and if they ever get around to it no one is going to care anymore. Streamers pretending to be scared of it seems like a thousand years ago already.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly a FNAF movie could work totally fine, it would just have to basically not touch the games' events outside of maybe a single setpiece in the pizzeria at night

The games themselves are played out to hell, but the background lore barely gets talked about at all beyond hardcore fans, and... the inciting incident of the series is one of the animatronics going apeshit at a kid's birthday and chewing a chunk out of the kid's skull and brain. because the animatronics were built by a serial child murderer who wanted to make his victims "immortal" by binding their souls to creepy animatronics. they are, naturally, not okay with this and respond by shoving him in an animatronic (Springtrap) that proceeds to lock him in and tear him to pieces like something out of a Saw movie... and then, having gotten their revenge, they just kind of go dormant and act like normal animatronics until either something makes them freak out or some poor bastard goes on night watch (at which point they assume the night security guy is the murderer, and start trying to rip him apart).

you could make an absolutely sick movie out of all of that without even touching the "guy has to gently caress with doors and lights so the robots don't eat him" part, though realistically speaking it's like the Doom FPS scene and you'd almost kind of have to fit it in somewhere so people don't bitch that it's not really a FNAF movie

e: that said, a FNAF movie would almost certainly be PG-13 even though you'd really, really need an R to make it work, and that's kind of a problem in and of itself

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 13, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...huh, and at a second look, Blumhouse currently has the FNAF rights and the movie was supposed to happen in 2018, it just got put on hold because Scott Cawthon (creator of the games) wasn't happy with the script he wrote and scrapped it for a page-one rewrite. so it's probably happening sooner and not later, and it'll probably be one of those weird sudden drops that Blumhouse likes to do where we don't see trailers or ads until a couple weeks before it comes out.

e: and based on Cawthon writing the script, I'm probably pretty on-the-money with what it's gonna look like, because the YA books (also written by Cawthon) are pretty much all about the hosed up backstory

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
they're waiting for the target audience to reach 17

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

they're waiting for the target audience to reach 17

honestly MPAA trouble being part of the holdup would extremely not surprise me, yeah. the games are pretty much targeted at kids, but the material a movie would have to cover is, to my knowledge, an instant R regardless of how they handle it (iirc a lot of why Fox approved Logan being an R was because the MPAA just kind of flat-out went "you're not doing this below an R, no matter how you show it" regarding the child experimentation subplot).

your options are pretty much either make a version that somehow never touches any of that, make an R version now and have it be out of the target audience's reach for a few more years, or... wait.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Beetlejuice tries to coerce a minor into marriage in exchange for a favor.

Comedy Central used to run Beetlejuice practically every weekend, but it wasn't until I recently re-watched it that it got through my thick head how extremely rapey that whole shotgun marriage plot-line is. Michael Keaton's performance in Spider-Man: Far from Home made me want a Beetlejuice sequel again, but can it really get past that baggage? Especially because the only development-hell sequel idea I've ever heard about over the years is "Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd love a TV show that takes place in the world of Beetlejuice, but I have no interest in seeing the continuing adventures of the same set of characters. But the universe is completely compelling and full of all sorts of cracks and crevices that could be interesting to explore, as much as I don't want that world to get over-explained. But I think there's plenty more juice in that squeeze, I just don't want to see a middle-aged Lydia or an elderly Barbara and Adam getting in another wacky adventure with an edges-sanded-off Beetlejuice.

e: Also, Channeling Spirits is a great YouTube channel that breaks down lore of Beetlejuice, like what exactly his function in that world is, why you need to say his name 3 times, etc. Despite that sounding awful on paper it's actually interesting and well-done, going back to earlier drafts of the screenplay, looking at the screen-used props in depth, pulling in likely inspirations, etc. It's definitely just popcorn, but worthwhile if that's your thing.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 14, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Neo Rasa posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot this existed completely

Hell, same. Had to check and see if it actually ever premiered.

It did and ran just 3 weeks :saddowns:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
drat all those TMNT rip off mentions and no Sewer Sharks. My poor stepbrother would be so hurting right now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would've loved a live action Street Sharks during the era where they would have been made practical by the Henson shop. Giant practical sharks with legs would've been a sight, at the least.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

To this day I still have trouble accepting that Siegfried & Roy: Masters of the Impossible actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

I might have to watch the whole thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Horror franchises in general are surprisingly hard to adapt, especially ones aimed at kids. Doesn't help that they rely on subtlety and implication, even the silly stuff like FNAF works because of your limited perspective, and those things are anathema to Hollywood. And most games really, I think Hollywood and AAA gaming have the same problem where all horror franchises just end up turning into action because shootbangs sell better.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The MSJ posted:

Timothée Chalamet, walking, possibly without rythm.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/a-first-look-at-timothee-chalamet-in-dune
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/behold-dune-an-exclusive-look-at-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-oscar-isaac

The costuming for the Dune movie looks absolutely fantastic. Also Oscar Isaac as Leto looks amazing. With how the Atreides look I'm really curious to see how the Harkonnen look.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
there's.... m-movie news....?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/a-first-look-at-timothee-chalamet-in-dune
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/behold-dune-an-exclusive-look-at-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-oscar-isaac

The costuming for the Dune movie looks absolutely fantastic. Also Oscar Isaac as Leto looks amazing. With how the Atreides look I'm really curious to see how the Harkonnen look.

I'm trying not to get too hyped but it looks completely good as gently caress

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

there's.... m-movie news....?

Wrong thread. This is the old cartoon remembrance thread.

Speaking of which, Biker Mice from Mars.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cooked Auto posted:

I genuinely do not see how any of those images look remotely interesting. It was always unlikely it would look as interesting as the Lynch movie but these costumes are big time bland

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

I genuinely do not see how any of those images look remotely interesting. It was always unlikely it would look as interesting as the Lynch movie but these costumes are big time bland

Yeah, the pics of Gurney and Leto in space marine armor look really out of place. If you told me those photos were from an upcoming Thor movie, I'd have a hard time not believing it. Also, everything is too clean. The Lynch film's costumes looked lived-in, like the Fremen stillsuits has residual dust in or smeared with blood, here they're obviously costumes.

Also, getting real fashy vibes from the Atredies line-up photos, which could work if by playing up that both Houses and basically the entire unviersal noble society is bad and must destroyed.

Only thing I'm happy so far is Momoa shaved his man beard. Idaho should be well-groomed.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 14, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll reserve judgement until we see actual moving images instead of on-set photography, but yeah that production design seems a little meh compared to how gorgeous every little thing was in BR2049.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Looks dope as hell to me, especially the stillsuits.

Edit: and aw poo poo, I forgot it's gonna be two movies hell yes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Looks dope as hell to me, especially the stillsuits.

Edit: and aw poo poo, I forgot it's gonna be two movies hell yes

drat twice the box office bomb!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Production doesn't start on the second until after the first one premieres, right? So I find it fairly unlikely that we're ever going to get the second part.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Oscar Isaac's beard is the only thing I'm currently sold on, but there's time yet.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I agree the production design looks pretty by the numbers.

Also Paul's mom looks like his sister, lol.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, Rebecca Ferguson would have been twelve when she had him if she was actually Timothée Chalamet's mother and you can tell. Francesca Annis was only a couple years older (and Kyle MacLachlan the same age), but I was younger when I saw Lynch's version so she played better as an older woman. Curious how successful Denis Villeneuve is going to be in navigating that sort of change in my personal context—Dune's a tricky book to adapt—but I've generally enjoyed his movies so I have high hopes.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Zendaya is Chani.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jessica is a Bene Gesserit, which as I recall have some sort or resistance to aging. I think it's fine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Re: the wardrobe design. Probably doesn’t help that it’s a vanity fair article. They made Rise look like Dune

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Casimir Radon posted:

Jessica is a Bene Gesserit, which as I recall have some sort or resistance to aging. I think it's fine.

Having control over micro muscles would probably be like permanent botox.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

After finally watching Blade Runner 2049 my hopes for Dune have gone a bit sideways.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

"The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The spice makes you a complete MILF. The spice makes you a complete GILF"

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

After finally watching Blade Runner 2049 my hopes for Dune have gone a bit sideways.

You should probably check yourself into a mental institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

AceOfFlames posted:

Zendaya is Chani.

Why did that become a meme anyway? Is it just because Zendaya's stage name was as ridiculous as her character's name was in Smallfoot or was there more to it?