Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I Before E posted:

That was Chapo.

*Whispers to Skwirl: "That's Chapo"*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It also gets lost in the CIA criticism that it’s loving nuts that this supposed crown jewel of representation for African culture is a monarchy that decides its leaders through ritual combat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
They choose their leaders through MMA because only the most explosive Wakandan is fit to lead.

Guy A. Person posted:

Also to cut off the typical follow up argument, Ross is nowhere near the bumbling comic relief character he's made out to be in these arguments. He's every bit the "good apple, trying to do the right thing and succeeding" CIA exemplar they want to show.
Making him a goofy nerd is exactly the tactic they want to make him appear competent and likable. Like, from what I've heard about the Jack Ryan show, they make most of the characters adorkable geeks, same as a lot of popular characters on cop shows.

Raytheon runs events for kids, and cloaks it under the progressive mantle of getting girls into science.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

They choose their leaders through MMA because only the most explosive Wakandan is fit to lead.

Making him a goofy nerd is exactly the tactic they want to make him appear competent and likable. Like, from what I've heard about the Jack Ryan show, they make most of the characters adorkable geeks, same as a lot of popular characters on cop shows.

Raytheon runs events for kids, and cloaks it under the progressive mantle of getting girls into science.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It's kinda funny how they throw in the tiniest of figleaves to excuse the CIA propaganda and comic book fans latch on to it with both hands.

Everything about this raises my blood pressure, from the sarcastic genius mug to the "down with the man," lingo, and the implication that selling out your principles and joining the MIC is being a team player.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McCloud posted:

and the implication that selling out your principles and joining the MIC is being a team player.

The idea that caring about poo poo is a phase you grow out of once you start paying taxes is one Boomerism that I hope dies completely and thoroughly with them

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 14, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

McCloud posted:

Everything about this raises my blood pressure, from the sarcastic genius mug to the "down with the man," lingo, and the implication that selling out your principles and joining the MIC is being a team player.
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/655845717760675841

quote:

As she rode to work, Anne—or “Sparkle” as she’s known to her fellow drone operators—wasn’t focused on the desert outside her window. It was 2009 and President Obama was sending troops in a surge to Afghanistan. Sparkle’s mind was on a desert 7,000 miles away. Over the next 24 hours she would track an insurgent, watch as he was killed by a Hellfire missile, and spy on his funeral before ending her night with a breakfast beer and a trip to the dog park.

Sparkle came home to her dog, eager to head out to the park. It is a ritual for the pair, who are part of a regular dog park crew. Sparkle likes it because no one is in the military. She isn’t “Sparkle” at the dog park.

“It’s great to sit and just share a love of dogs,” she said. “They make me happy to protect a world where we can spend lavish amounts of money on recreation places for our animals. The women I met there were strong and independent… and [the dogs] give us some subject to talk about other than work. Its an easy atmosphere in which to unwind.”
Lean In to the carnage

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

CPFortest posted:

Killmonger does take the throne legitimately, and it isn't like his coup is actively backed by the CIA or any other type of intelligence agency.

The CIA-backed coup is T'Challa reclaiming power. A former CineD poster pointed it out on Twitter when the movie came out that T'Challa is basically Mobutu Sese Seko taking power from Patrice Lumumba.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
For a fun read about the CIA, y'all should check out Legacy of Ashes. :v:

They're loving monstrous and incompetent

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Just thinking about that insanely extensive army recruitment campaign that came with Man of Steel and paid for a chunk of its budget, it's as if all superhero narratives created by massive capitalist conglomerates support reactionary institutions.

Safety Factor posted:

That book was one of the most darkly humorous things I've ever read, they really are the dumbest and vilest group of arrogant assholes ever crammed together.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 14, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll give Man of Steel credit for taking that money and then ending the movie with Superman destroying a drone and telling a general to gently caress off.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Catfishenfuego posted:

Just thinking about that insanely extensive army recruitment campaign that came with Man of Steel and paid for a chunk of its budget, it's as if all superhero narratives created by massive capitalist conglomerates support reactionary institutions.

That book was one of the most darkly humorous things I've ever read, they really are the dumbest and vilest group of arrogant assholes ever crammed together.

The author also wrote a book about the FBI. The FBI are basically what the CIA wanted to be, but competent and therefore actually more evil, though they were limited to domestic action.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I succeeded in the immense task leaving the house and buying ink.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

If you don't like my Godzillas then you're dead inside.

I like your Gigan, I have one at my office :rip:

Skwirl posted:

I think it was SMG who called it "Black Panther for stupid people" not in the sense that it was just a dumber version of that movie, but in the sense that stupid people could relate and identify with the film in a similar way that Black people related to and identified with Black Panther.

I think Felix's specific quote was "Black Panther for dumb guys" and Dom Griffin in his written review said Aquaman is a superhero for dudes with wallet chains in 2018.

Safety Factor posted:

Legacy of Ashes would be so loving funny if it wasn't about untold thousands dying.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Worth it, for sure.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'll give Man of Steel credit for taking that money and then ending the movie with Superman destroying a drone and telling a general to gently caress off.

In the sequel they again had a sequence where the military/CIA are acting like pricks and using drones despite high risk of collateral damage, until Superman squashes them.

Also I'll copy paste what I wrote the last time this came up

McCloud posted:

Reminder that Man of Steel has scenes where the military blow up their own civilians with their own missiles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDiyM3K-uIQ&t=62s

The military is literally turned against its own population https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRVWcMul9DI&t=20s

As far as metaphors go that's pretty drat blunt.

Like yeah, MoS absolutely took cash from the US military, and it absolutely does jerk off ARE TROOPS, but it also paints the military organisation as a whole as an inept destructive force that only manages to do extreme collateral damage to its own people and utterly ineffectual to the actual threat.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Only thing I remember about Man of Steel is that Chris Melloni saves the day by doing 9/11.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

:stare: Words fail me.
If you don't like my Godzillas then you're dead inside.

I am and adult who owns action figures and it is absolutely a huge loving waste of money.

I finally have a cubicle again! I'm gonna be filling it up with Godzillas again when I actually do work from the office. Shame that Godzilla anything is usually so expensive.

The only other thing I was waiting to get was a Shakespeare bust with a red button in the latched neck like from Batman '66, but they sold out on Amazon a week before I had the money to get one for less than $100.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is an amazing prop. Solid work

The Paul Rudd anchorman vibe works so well for a new age huckster

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FreudianSlippers posted:

This rules.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Trident: Land We Call Home was a solid FF. trying to watch Autohead now but netflix keeps crashing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skwirl posted:

I think you mean Cory Doctorow and portmanteaud his name with Colin Treverrow, because while I haven't read that story it absolutely sounds like something he would write.

I think you are right, I meant Doctorow lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RBA Starblade posted:

I think you are right, I meant Doctorow lol

2 of his books have free/pay what you want ebook versions available on his website for anyone needing something to read.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Only thing I remember about Man of Steel is that Chris Melloni saves the day by doing 9/11.

You should watch Man of Steel again. It's a good movie. Great even.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's talk about Dune. I think it looks loving good:

The MSJ posted:

Timothée Chalamet, walking, possibly without rythm.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/a-first-look-at-timothee-chalamet-in-dune
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/behold-dune-an-exclusive-look-at-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-oscar-isaac

The costuming for the Dune movie looks absolutely fantastic. Also Oscar Isaac as Leto looks amazing. With how the Atreides look I'm really curious to see how the Harkonnen look.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Snyder stans on this forum try to paint the ending scene of MoS as some kind of secret leftist criticism of the US army and seem to forget that literally the only reason he destroys the drone is because it impedes his ability to anonymously do whatever he pleases in the wake of his involvement in the greatest act of death and destruction in the country's history, before he declares that as an American citizen raised in Kansas, he would never act against the interests of the USA and that he trusts the army as long as they never try to hold him accountable.

The next movie opens with him committing a war crime by murdering a black muslim man for threatening a white lady, helping the heroic CIA troops on their way who didn't want to see an innocent American be hurt, he then leaves without even bothering to look around to see why there's a pile of burned bodies of black people in the yard.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Catfishenfuego posted:

Snyder stans on this forum try to paint the ending scene of MoS as some kind of secret leftist criticism of the US army and seem to forget that literally the only reason he destroys the drone is because it impedes his ability to anonymously do whatever he pleases in the wake of his involvement in the greatest act of death and destruction in the country's history, before he declares that as an American citizen raised in Kansas, he would never act against the interests of the USA and that he trusts the army as long as they never try to hold him accountable.

Is that one sentence?

Anyway, that's more than Black Panther did. Black Panther cries out to his enemy "You let yourself become like the people you hate!", and after he killed his enemy he pals around with those same people and goes "You and me have much to learn from each other, CIA Man!"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Catfishenfuego posted:

the greatest act of death and destruction in the country's history,

Maybe to white Americans, and even that’s debatable, unless the world machines killed and destroyed more than the entirety of the american civil war and we didn’t get to see it because it happened offscreen.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Wracked with guilt over having inspired this ghastly mess, CARLY GAY DEAD SON gives himself a wedgie and carries himself by the undies several threads over and drops himself assfirst into the Snyderdome, hoping this action will inspire others to do likewise.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
B..buh-but MARVEL! :qq:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Catfishenfuego posted:

The next movie opens with him committing a war crime by murdering a black muslim man for threatening a white lady, helping the heroic CIA troops on their way who didn't want to see an innocent American be hurt, he then leaves without even bothering to look around to see why there's a pile of burned bodies of black people in the yard.

Did anyone actually bring up man of steel as a contrast or did you just like...start doing this

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Someone brought up Marvel MIC propaganda from the last two years so a balance needed to be struck by bringing up 2013 film Man of Steel

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Funny that nobody ever brings up the Transformers movies in that particular conversation.

edit: to amend for posts that might belong into SNYDER QUARANTINE ZONE, I will state that I am currently watching Conan (2011), and through the tears about what could have been I was able to see that Stephen Lang wields Shatterstar's lovely double sword:

It's one of the many small bits of fun that movie contains, which makes its overal shoddiness and cheapness all the more painful.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 14, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pirate Jet posted:

The flavor of state-sponsored propaganda usually does come in the form “there are some bad apples but we try our best and overall do good,” which is also why Captain Marvel - a movie which demonstrably had Air Force tie-ins - had the lightest possible criticism in the form of “some Air Force members were a bit sexist back in the 90s.”

No part of the Air Force is depicted as good in Captain Marvel. It was a sexist organization that covered up an alien encounter before the movie began, and in the course of the movie itself it's nothing but an obstacle to Captain Marvel getting the information she needs. The main character's best friend left the Air Force because of it's secrecy and is now a private pilot.

There is nothing in the movie to suggest that the sexism in the Air Force wasn't systemic, or that it has changed since Captain Marvel was in it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

teagone posted:

You should watch Man of Steel again. It's a good movie. Great even.

I liked the part where it compared Superman to Jesus

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gripweed posted:

No part of the Air Force is depicted as good in Captain Marvel. It was a sexist organization that covered up an alien encounter before the movie began, and in the course of the movie itself it's nothing but an obstacle to Captain Marvel getting the information she needs. The main character's best friend left the Air Force because of it's secrecy and is now a private pilot.

There is nothing in the movie to suggest that the sexism in the Air Force wasn't systemic, or that it has changed since Captain Marvel was in it.

Honestly I agree that the Air Force stuff in CM was barely propaganda but only because it's such a nonentity in the film itself. Their main contributions to the plot were being duped by an alien into letting her build a spaceship under their noses and then covering it up when it exploded and one of their pilots disappeared. It's more like the ending of Burn After Reading than some shadowy organization making itself an "obstacle" in Carol's way; she breaks into some file cabinets and then their part of the film is over.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Gripweed posted:

my favourite part in the bible, where jesus goes to church and asks a priest what jesus would do

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love how FF just went overseas, pretty much every notable FF movie from the past 3 years or so is outside the Anglosphere.

While things have been on a downswing in the west in 2019, I wouldn't go quite that far. You can count The Other Side Of The Wind as a 2018 release, and it's certainly the most prestigious film in FF history. Anon is also about as fancy as these things have ever gotten.

In the realm of DTV, we've recently had The Beyond (UK, a surprisingly good mashup of The Arrival and Ghost In The Shell(!)), She Walks The Woods (US, stylish Blair Witch throwback), and Mnemophrenia (UK, existential sci-fi, similar to Marjorie Prime, one of my top films of 2018). That's not to downplay the significance of the stuff from other countries, but it's still going fairly strong.

Pirate Jet posted:

That was Chapo Trap House’s episode on it, not SMG.

For the record, my take on Aquaman is that it needed to triple-down on the horror influence. Gimme a heroic Dagon.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gripweed posted:

My favorite part is Henry Cavill's chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FREE DICKEYE!

feedmyleg posted:

Who the gently caress follows the CIA on Twitter

John Krasinski.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP5XyLFgoFo

Catfishenfuego posted:

One of the best superhero movies is Batman Returns. It's a superhero movie where the main character is depicted as a dysfunctional weirdo and also has Donald Trump conning an oversexed sewer monster into running for mayor while the title character keeps getting the poo poo kicked out of him by a nearly unkillable dominatrix. This is the kind of poo poo superhero movies should be.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I finally have a cubicle again! I'm gonna be filling it up with Godzillas again when I actually do work from the office. Shame that Godzilla anything is usually so expensive.

The only other thing I was waiting to get was a Shakespeare bust with a red button in the latched neck like from Batman '66, but they sold out on Amazon a week before I had the money to get one for less than $100.

Oh Godzilla poo poo is insanely expensive. All that stuff is cheap. The most expensive item there is the bigger Shin Godzilla which was 30 bucks. I got it off of a MAGA chud at a flea market who didn't know those were going for twice that on ebay at the time. Suck it chud.

teagone posted:

My favorite part is Henry Cavill's chest.

I'm so glad the weird cultural obsession with men (in pop culture at least) having all their body hair shaved off is dying.