Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Kingcobweb’s Andy vote feels bandwagony to me

Andy’s posts read pretty genuine to me, and this feels like a vote that will slip under the radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sandwolf posted:

The latter point I take no issue with!

The prior point I take issue with! If that's all you consider actionable information, you're not gonna have much to go on D1. This really does feel like you're trying to cover up for not having any reads because you're scum.

Do you think how I've been pursuing you has been scummy, for example?
I think "you're not gonna have much to go on D1" is a universally true statement, is the thing. I've been in games that hit scum on D1 too, but it's rare and usually happened by purely random chance. I do not have much faith in D1, I think all the cases today will be bad, and I have not wavered in what I want to do, which is to just let the day play out and then lynch a lurker.

And as for that second question: I don't like how you've been pursuing me, of course, because you've been pursuing me. But if I say "no", I'm condoning your case, if I say "yes" it's OMGUS, and if I say "I'm not sure" then I'm being wishy-washy again and as that's exactly what I'm being cased on in the first place, I've just validated it by repeating the behavior. This feels like a rhetorical trap and I refuse to answer.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

CapnAndy posted:

And as for that second question: I don't like how you've been pursuing me, of course, because you've been pursuing me. But if I say "no", I'm condoning your case, if I say "yes" it's OMGUS, and if I say "I'm not sure" then I'm being wishy-washy again and as that's exactly what I'm being cased on in the first place, I've just validated it by repeating the behavior. This feels like a rhetorical trap and I refuse to answer.

Notice how scum Cap does not actually provide any reads, instead presenting an arguement where any read given makes them look like scum.

This is the mindset of scum, as they are intrinsically more worried about coming across as scummy.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

CapnAndy posted:

I think "you're not gonna have much to go on D1" is a universally true statement, is the thing. I've been in games that hit scum on D1 too, but it's rare and usually happened by purely random chance. I do not have much faith in D1, I think all the cases today will be bad, and I have not wavered in what I want to do, which is to just let the day play out and then lynch a lurker.

okay let's all sit in meditative silence, we'll off the lowest postcount today, let scum kill someone overnight, and tomorrow we can actually play the game

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Epsilon Plus posted:

okay let's all sit in meditative silence, we'll off the lowest postcount today, let scum kill someone overnight, and tomorrow we can actually play the game
is your actual contention that I have been neither posting nor attempting to play the game

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So what are you people doing? awhawhaw

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I really wasn’t trying to lure you into a trap, I was just trying to get some reads out of you, but you really answered that as if you’re scum explaining your conundrum.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

I really wasn’t trying to lure you into a trap, I was just trying to get some reads out of you, but you really answered that as if you’re scum explaining your conundrum.
What was the answer that would have convinced you, then? Because I maintain there wasn't one.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

What was the answer that would have convinced you, then? Because I maintain there wasn't one.

Giving reads of people that are voting on you. Who do you think is doing so honestly and who do you think is manufacturing that opinion?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah like do you think my pursuit of you is legitimate? Zzyzx said he thought I was propping up a case, do you agree with that? Do you disagree with that? What about the other votes on you?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Kashuno

You got soul read. Sorry.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

is your actual contention that I have been neither posting nor attempting to play the game

no, but,

CapnAndy posted:

I do not have much faith in D1, I think all the cases today will be bad, and I have not wavered in what I want to do, which is to just let the day play out and then lynch a lurker.

why post if all our cases will be bad?

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
I work out for an hour and there’s 100 new posts okay.

Am I correct in reading that the bulk of the Andy case is effortposting and discussion of a gambit from a decade ago?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The specific part I don't understand is

quote:

if this'll happen again on Day 4 or something, I don't want you to have that opportunity
What does this mean, Andy?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I don't think the Captain Andrew's Gambitte Discussion is actually part of any case, I think we just got off-topic for a bit

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Quandary posted:

It's been like a decade, how the hell is this still all the exact same people playing mafia?

Just spectating, but hell yeah that this is still going strong!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

merk posted:

##vote Kashuno

You got soul read. Sorry.
Just what is a soul read? awhawhawhaw

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Amnistar posted:

Giving reads of people that are voting on you. Who do you think is doing so honestly and who do you think is manufacturing that opinion?
I don't have a read on Epsilon Plus.

kingcobweb made an egregiously bad drive-by vote.

You're being obdurate; you originally voted me for "being self-aware", and after I made a lengthy post explaining that yes, it was self-aware, because I've lost my temper and become a disruptive presence in previous mafia games and I don't want to do that any more and am carefully monitoring myself against it, you haven't even acknowledged that, let alone gotten off my case. You saw one thing you didn't like and now everything else I say is proof, no matter what. Your mind is made up. Case in point:

Amnistar posted:

Notice how scum Cap does not actually provide any reads, instead presenting an arguement where any read given makes them look like scum.

This is the mindset of scum, as they are intrinsically more worried about coming across as scummy.
Yes, why would I be worried about coming across as scummy with people who think I'm coming across as scummy, especially when I'm trying to change their minds? This is some nonsense, man. I'm asked to defend myself and then accused of defensiveness.

Sandwolf's case against me is entirely wrong, but at least he's made one, and scum don't have a monopoly on being wrong. That said, the more time passes, the more I dislike his "is my case on you scummy" question. It is some "have you stopped beating your wife yet"-level bullshit. I'd like to point out that what you asked is not at all what he did. "Is my case on you scummy" and "give your reads on the people voting you" aren't the same question. I'd like to further point out that he has not yet answered my question of "what response to that would you have accepted as townie" -- he just waited for you to defend him and then went "yeah that". It's deflection. I maintain that the question had no acceptable answer by design. I think he laid a very, very good trap for me and is upset that I looked at it, said "that's a trap", and handed it back.

Y'know what? I've convinced myself.

##vote Sandwolf

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

The specific part I don't understand is

What does this mean, Andy?
It means that if Liger is going to respond to cases against him by getting really dismissive and leaving the thread, that is not behavior that can be tolerated on later days, when the stakes are higher. I'm sorry if my arbitrary use of "Day 4" to indicate "later on" made things confusing.

Epsilon Plus posted:

no, but,

why post if all our cases will be bad?
Because they can be instructively bad! Later on when we know some actual things, we can see how people acted with those people, and re-evaluate their behavior in the light of this new information. Which is how Mafia is played, and I don't know why you're pretending you don't know that. Or, in other words:

Deadbeat Dad posted:

You can easily catch scum D1 but on the whole it's a lot of posturing and confusion until people start to flip and you can see who is earnestly defending another person or potentially bussing or trying to look good. In the moment D1 is usually just chaos and uncertainty, but I'm sure some of us have our methods for weeding a lot of that out and not just writing off D1 as only a crapshoot. Maybe the wording of "only good" is a bit strong from Andy but if we're comparing it to later days where we have more information to work off of, obviously I agree.

Jen X posted:

You can do more than just collect posts on D1.

Getting people to talk and interact and play the game is super valuable, and the basic process of scumhunting without relying on relative distance to flipped or otherwise confirmed players is the same on D1 as on any other day. Sure, you don't have all the tools, but you can still use a few.
I actually agree with both of these posts, even though they're disagreeing! D1 is a fundamentally weaker day than any other, because we have no information, but playing the game and gaining early interaction is valuable and worthwhile. Any other questions?

Spoonsy posted:

I work out for an hour and there’s 100 new posts okay.

Am I correct in reading that the bulk of the Andy case is effortposting and discussion of a gambit from a decade ago?
I mean I certainly don't think it's a very good case!!!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Pussy Quipped posted:

Andy’s posts read pretty genuine to me, and this feels like a vote that will slip under the radar.

I'm re-reading the thread now ok I'm rusty at this game!!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

I actually agree with both of these posts, even though they're disagreeing! D1 is a fundamentally weaker day than any other, because we have no information, but playing the game and gaining early interaction is valuable and worthwhile. Any other questions?
I mean I certainly don't think it's a very good case!!!

Didn't someone do some analysis a long time ago that showed over-50% scum lynch rate on day one?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

Didn't someone do some analysis a long time ago that showed over-50% scum lynch rate on day one?
I would genuinely like to see that analysis, and if it is true I'll gladly eat my words on D1.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

You're being obdurate; you originally voted me for "being self-aware", and after I made a lengthy post explaining that yes, it was self-aware, because I've lost my temper and become a disruptive presence in previous mafia games and I don't want to do that any more and am carefully monitoring myself against it, you haven't even acknowledged that, let alone gotten off my case. You saw one thing you didn't like and now everything else I say is proof, no matter what. Your mind is made up. Case in point:

Yes, as I clarified later, it was the feeling that you *know* a player is town aligned when making comments about them. Your response does not really change that for me, because I don't know why you would make the post you did if you didn't have any alignment calls to make. Why say "The original case is bad, but this activity now is also bad" and not follow it up with a case? Why, if you think that Liger is town are you posting about *their* behavior instead of calling out people casing them as scum and looking for people that are behaving dishonestly? I did indeed see one thing and am pursuing it doggedly, because what has happened since is you not participating in finding scum, and dodging the question of who you think is scum.

quote:

Yes, why would I be worried about coming across as scummy with people who think I'm coming across as scummy, especially when I'm trying to change their minds? This is some nonsense, man. I'm asked to defend myself and then accused of defensiveness.

Being worried about getting voted out is a scum problem, not a town one. Town are being honest, scum are lying. Scum need to worry about if what they say is going to come across as scum, because that is how they will get caught. Town shouldn't be worried about that, because what they're saying is what they actually believe.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Pussy Quipped posted:

I like this post, I like PQ right now. Agree with this read on Kingcobweb.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
I still maintain (and have been lynched for this idea) that the D1 lynch, unless someone does something idiotic or there is a clear attempt at a railroad by scum that doesn’t know what it’s doing, is a crapshoot.

And yes I am always sad that the shitpost phase ends, especially when there wasn’t nearly enough Potter puns or wordplay.

(Also yeah yeah I know I’ve been 0 productive it’s D1)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

echo is not a good overwatch character also mei is now the best sniper class

its day one with over twenty five players, im not really going to sweat any day one lynch. andy

CapnAndy posted:

It means that if Liger is going to respond to cases against him by getting really dismissive and leaving the thread, that is not behavior that can be tolerated on later days, when the stakes are higher. I'm sorry if my arbitrary use of "Day 4" to indicate "later on" made things confusing.
its the first physical day of day one and the only case made against me was my joke over a flavor post of course im going to be dismissive

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Amnistar posted:

Yes, as I clarified later, it was the feeling that you *know* a player is town aligned when making comments about them.
Excuse me, you're putting words in my mouth that were never there. I've never said I "*know*" Liger is town. That was dishonest of you. As I've said repeatedly, I think it is far more likely that a townie would be emotionally hurt by being cased than scum, because the case against them is wrong. That sort of thing can be hurtful. It has hurt me. I can empathise with it happening to someone else.

quote:

Why say "The original case is bad, but this activity now is also bad" and not follow it up with a case?
Because I was not making a case. I was condemning what I felt was unhelpful behavior. This is why my post included a plea for him to change that behavior.

quote:

Why, if you think that Liger is town are you posting about *their* behavior instead of calling out people casing them as scum and looking for people that are behaving dishonestly?
Because I had no scum reads. As I've also already said, being wrong is not the sole domain of the scum.

quote:

Being worried about getting voted out is a scum problem, not a town one.
This is self-evident nonsense. If I am town and get voted out, the town is, by definition, weaker and closer to losing the game. I may also have beneficial powers whose loss would further hurt the town. (This is not a claim. This is logic.) If I am town, I am acting in the town's best interest by defending myself.

quote:

Town are being honest, scum are lying.
This is true. It also has nothing to do with anything else in this post, most especially the previous statement. The topic shift here is jarring.

quote:

Scum need to worry about if what they say is going to come across as scum, because that is how they will get caught. Town shouldn't be worried about that, because what they're saying is what they actually believe.
Further self-evident nonsense. You are implying that nothing anyone says in good faith can ever be taken as a scum-tell, and that any post that comes off to even a single other player as scummy was a priori a lie. If your logic was correct, no town would ever lynch wrong. Yet this has happened.

Furthermore, you act as though I was always worried about how I'd come off, which is not the case. I made my initial post on Liger's behavior quite blithely. I refused to answer Sandwolf's question on the grounds that I was worried about sounding scummy because, and yet again, this is something I've said before, I had at that point already been accused of sounding scummy. It was and is not a hypothetical and me being aware of it ought to be entirely understandable.

This was really bad arguing all around. You seem to have made the following claims: that town can never be wrong, that town should not defend themselves from being lynched, that posts can never be misread, and that suspicion is its own proof. Are these claims you actually intended to make? If not, can you perhaps not back up and see why I am asserting that you have tunnel vision on me and are obdurately pressing forward regardless of the actual facts?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Epsilon Plus posted:

this flippant response gives me a tummy ache. i am going to click on your profile.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i want to say first of all the way segmented quotes work on sa is stupid and wish that we had nesting quote trees when quoting posts with quotes in them

CapnAndy posted:

Excuse me, you're putting words in my mouth that were never there. I've never said I "*know*" Liger is town. That was dishonest of you. As I've said repeatedly, I think it is far more likely that a townie would be emotionally hurt by being cased than scum, because the case against them is wrong. That sort of thing can be hurtful. It has hurt me. I can empathise with it happening to someone else.

Because I was not making a case. I was condemning what I felt was unhelpful behavior. This is why my post included a plea for him to change that behavior.

Because I had no scum reads. As I've also already said, being wrong is not the sole domain of the scum.

This is self-evident nonsense. If I am town and get voted out, the town is, by definition, weaker and closer to losing the game. I may also have beneficial powers whose loss would further hurt the town. (This is not a claim. This is logic.) If I am town, I am acting in the town's best interest by defending myself.
This is true. It also has nothing to do with anything else in this post, most especially the previous statement. The topic shift here is jarring.

Further self-evident nonsense. You are implying that nothing anyone says in good faith can ever be taken as a scum-tell, and that any post that comes off to even a single other player as scummy was a priori a lie. If your logic was correct, no town would ever lynch wrong. Yet this has happened.

Furthermore, you act as though I was always worried about how I'd come off, which is not the case. I made my initial post on Liger's behavior quite blithely. I refused to answer Sandwolf's question on the grounds that I was worried about sounding scummy because, and yet again, this is something I've said before, I had at that point already been accused of sounding scummy. It was and is not a hypothetical and me being aware of it ought to be entirely understandable.

This was really bad arguing all around. You seem to have made the following claims: that town can never be wrong, that town should not defend themselves from being lynched, that posts can never be misread, and that suspicion is its own proof. Are these claims you actually intended to make? If not, can you perhaps not back up and see why I am asserting that you have tunnel vision on me and are obdurately pressing forward regardless of the actual facts?

i just wanna say i appreciate how in the first paragraph you got annoyed at someone putting words in your mouth and in the last paragraph you go ahead and put words in their mouth

i've missed mafia

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

So Andy you’re really voting me because I asked you to finally respond to not just the case on you but some of the casing being done on you? You could have given many answers I would have been fine with, the hyper-aware, “let me explain how any way I answer this will make me scummy,” is what I didn’t like. You seem overly concerned with being thought of as scummy and not very interested in catching scum.

For example, it really feels like you’re trying to cast shade on Amni, but you vote me?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I am saying that I read your post as knowing Liger's alignment. Not that you said you knew it. They way you talk about Liger makes it clear you know Liger is town.

quote:

That's the problem.

quote:

The primary way of catching scum outside of night action bingo is finding people that are lying about what they believe. Scum know who is town and who is scum, so any scum is going to be lying when they claim they think someone is scum because of activity X. As such scum will be slef conscious about their posting, being worried about coming across as scum.

I'm not sure how you took that to mean that town will never get cuddled because of someone else perceiving what they said as scummy. Town *shouldn't* be worried about the tone of their post in the same way that scum are. Being self-conscious that what you're saying is going to come across as scummy and get yourself cuddled is an inherently scum thought process.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

I 100% did not. There's a history tab right there on the wiki, you're free to check.

I did!!

is "lynch all liars" still the meta

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Sandwolf's case against me is entirely wrong, but at least he's made one, and scum don't have a monopoly on being wrong. That said, the more time passes, the more I dislike his "is my case on you scummy" question. It is some "have you stopped beating your wife yet"-level bullshit. I'd like to point out that what you asked is not at all what he did. "Is my case on you scummy" and "give your reads on the people voting you" aren't the same question. I'd like to further point out that he has not yet answered my question of "what response to that would you have accepted as townie" -- he just waited for you to defend him and then went "yeah that". It's deflection. I maintain that the question had no acceptable answer by design. I think he laid a very, very good trap for me and is upset that I looked at it, said "that's a trap", and handed it back.

Y'know what? I've convinced myself.

##vote Sandwolf

This post reads really town, the thought process of going through the case of someone that thinks he's scum and getting mad at it so he votes for the guy seems genuine.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
##unvote

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

is "lynch all liars" still the meta

death to meta, lunch all liars

OFFICER LIGER posted:

this flippant response gives me a tummy ache. i am going to click on your profile.

click on ur mom lol G*TTEM BITCH

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
What's the trap sandwolf tried to lay for you andy?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

What's the trap sandwolf tried to lay for you andy?

a sand trap

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.

golf clap

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is Ecco really in this game? Awhawhaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, merk's right about this guy... I was reading a bunch of random people earlier trying to see what my gut was telling me and he was on the short list.

##vote Kashuno