Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

how hard would it have been to shop the crowbar over the sword? smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I didn't make it, but yes. Or at least put it in his hand properly.

Anyway, Yueh!
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1250623726338691072?s=19

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

drunkill posted:

They're waiting for you Leto, in test chamber.

:discourse:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

drunkill posted:

Anyway, Yueh!

Mustache!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

drunkill posted:

Anyway, Yueh!

Too clean and color looks flat. Nowhere near what Dune should look like.

Ah. There we go.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Is it just me or did they make the planet + lens flare in the logo way more prominent compared to the leaked one from a few months back. Are they appeasing the big brains who were all Whats Dunc about it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tired of getting dunced on.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

A blue Atreides banner? Blue?! :argh:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

THE BAR posted:

ANd where's the red Atreides hawk crest at their breasts? So many hawkless breasts.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Another color correction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdogwoaZRoU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
People always say that Dune is unfilmable. I agree that there's a lot going on, but splitting it into multiple films always seemed like the obvious answer to me, it didn't seem that impractical.

But I've just read the second and third books, and, ok, yeah, holy poo poo. There can't be any chance he's planning to make any films beyond these two, no matter how well they do, surely? Like, basically the entire tension of the second and third books exists solely in the inner monologue of characters you couldn't possibly act convincingly. How the hell would you do the finger language signing such complicated things without dumb subtitles?

Likewise the language they conduct the coup meeting in with triple entendres, like you'd have to have them talk in English but then explain why there are subtitles without breaking the fourth wall? Never mind the content of the second book being about 3 lines long in surmation and the content of the third going completely (but justifiably) insane by the end...

I'd loving LOVE to see someone try though. You'd have to have such hubris, which I can only imagine would channel well into Dune films.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

!Klams posted:

People always say that Dune is unfilmable. I agree that there's a lot going on, but splitting it into multiple films always seemed like the obvious answer to me, it didn't seem that impractical.

But I've just read the second and third books, and, ok, yeah, holy poo poo. There can't be any chance he's planning to make any films beyond these two, no matter how well they do, surely? Like, basically the entire tension of the second and third books exists solely in the inner monologue of characters you couldn't possibly act convincingly. How the hell would you do the finger language signing such complicated things without dumb subtitles?

Likewise the language they conduct the coup meeting in with triple entendres, like you'd have to have them talk in English but then explain why there are subtitles without breaking the fourth wall? Never mind the content of the second book being about 3 lines long in surmation and the content of the third going completely (but justifiably) insane by the end...

I'd loving LOVE to see someone try though. You'd have to have such hubris, which I can only imagine would channel well into Dune films.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

THE BAR posted:

Green. Here it is with the brightness up

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Not complaining about Josh Brolin, but if they had accurately cast "ugly lump of a man" Gurney, I wonder who they would have gone with.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

But not John Schoenherr Fu Manchu mustache :bahgawd:

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Flakey posted:

Not complaining about Josh Brolin, but if they had accurately cast "ugly lump of a man" Gurney, I wonder who they would have gone with.

Danny DeVito

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

“She’s a bene gesserit whoo-er”

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 17, 2020

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Gurney Halleck played by Mickey Rourke

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

!Klams posted:

You're aware of the miniseries Children of Dune, yes? The first third of it is actually Dune Messiah.

Now God-Emperor, that would be a trip.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Moneo Atreides played by Oscar Isaac

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Inverted Icon posted:

Moneo Atreides played by Oscar Isaac Kyle MacLachlan

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Frank Klepacki re-did the soundtrack for Dune 2000 (the updated/remake of Dune II) and elements of that song are used in the track 'Under Construction': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOoTQS1oezQ&t=9s

Here is the original DUne II soundtrack on his website though, if you do want that: https://www.frankklepacki.com/ost/vg/dune2

Speaking of the videogames, here is a retrospective on Dune II, 2000 and Emperor: Battle for Dune which came out on youtub this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOemQuy2JUc

Worth a watch.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

feedmegin posted:

You're aware of the miniseries Children of Dune, yes? The first third of it is actually Dune Messiah.

Now God-Emperor, that would be a trip.

I can't believe they actually did the sandtrout scene complete with him running at Sonic speed through the desert. I thought that was gonna be unfilmable. Seeing it reinforced that notion.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Miles Teg-Roxborough played by Oscar Isaac

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Elon Musk as The emperor, Grimes as Irulan

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Lea Seydoux as Feyd

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pretty good posted:

Lea Seydoux as Feyd

Make it happen, Denis

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Maybe if D U N E does well, we could see them do D O O N

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
uh, frank????

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1250604827341537282

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Frank's seed was spread around I see

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like John Herbert saying this film is good, is the exact opposite of re-assuring. I am still in extreme hype mode for this movie though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Brian Herbert hasn't even seen the film, just the photos

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

kiimo posted:

Who has the rights? Maybe he saw the number of expected zeroes on his check

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Studios are extremely cautious about when to start screenings and last I heard they hadn't had a screening that included Brian. He surely would have blabbed all about it if he had.

Usually the first screenings are for influencers from lack of a better word and that's when you start seeing tweet reactions. Someone like Brian who is only involved in the sense that he gets a useless executive producer credit would probably see the 3rd or 4th screening.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

kiimo posted:

who dat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crazyweasel posted:

Who has the rights? Maybe he saw the number of expected zeroes on his check

This reminds of how the Tolkien family said they were super disappointed with Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, and wished Peter Jackson hadnt been allowed to make that movie. Then the money started rolling in and all of a sudden they did a complete 180. Those movies ended up being extremely good though, and are among my favorite movies of all time with my lizard brain.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

This reminds of how the Tolkien family said they were super disappointed with Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, and wished Peter Jackson hadnt been allowed to make that movie. Then the money started rolling in and all of a sudden they did a complete 180. Those movies ended up being extremely good though, and are among my favorite movies of all time with my lizard brain.

Opposite of reality

Christopher Tolkien in late 2001 just before the movies came out: “I recognize that this is a debatable and complex question of art, and the suggestions that have been made that I 'disapprove' of the films, whatever their cinematic quality, even to the extent of thinking ill of those with whom I may differ, are wholly without foundation.”

Christopher Tolkien in 2012: “They gutted the book, making an action film for 15 to 25-year-olds.”

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Pretty good posted:

Lea Seydoux as Feyd
Fragile-Rautha

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

skasion posted:

Opposite of reality

Christopher Tolkien in late 2001 just before the movies came out: “I recognize that this is a debatable and complex question of art, and the suggestions that have been made that I 'disapprove' of the films, whatever their cinematic quality, even to the extent of thinking ill of those with whom I may differ, are wholly without foundation.”

Christopher Tolkien in 2012: “They gutted the book, making an action film for 15 to 25-year-olds.”

Fair enough, I didn't know about the 2012 comments. The movies are better than the book by a massive margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Fair enough, I didn't know about the 2012 comments. The movies are better than the book by a massive margin.

Also opposite of reality