Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Y'all got gifts for graduation? I got a cake and a card, but that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Bobulus posted:

Got a few bucks from some relatives. No actual gifts. (Though the same "thank you card" rules applied for that cash.)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bobulus posted:

I got several hundred dollars at my high school graduation, but we also threw a party and I have a lot of aunts and uncles so $20-50 each adds up. Not really any gifts, except the high school librarian did give me a two volume set of Sherlock Holmes stories which I still treasure...

When I graduated college I got nothing. My parents flew across the country for graduation and that's about all I'd have asked of them.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

In my culture it's normal to get a couple cars and a pent-house apartment after graduation. Maybe you are all simply pissing off your extended family?

My culture isn't even that rare in upper east side NYC or islands off the coast of Miami.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tomfoolery posted:

In my culture it's normal to get a couple cars and a pent-house apartment after graduation. Maybe you are all simply pissing off your extended family?

My culture isn't even that rare in upper east side NYC or islands off the coast of Miami.

*rips mask off u*

... Three Olives???

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

FallenGod posted:

Can we avoid having the :chloe: come from inside the thread.

Is "don't have more kids than you can support" really that far out there of a life philosophy?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Typically a card with cash is what you give in return for a free barbecue and a keg... it's a little trickier during lockdown, but I think with a quick "sorry for the circumstances" note, the guests would be understanding. A little cash infusion really helps a brand new grad get set up. People know this.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Is "don't have more kids than you can support" really that far out there of a life philosophy?

Nothing in the post suggests they can't support them. They can't find a new place due to covid.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

ArbitraryC posted:

It’s a useless post that doesn’t solve anything and only serves as a method for you to chide them. What are they going to do, stuff one of the kids back into the mom? Eat the fattest one?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Just gonna stuff half the kids back in my vagina until the pandemic is over

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

duck trucker posted:

It is insane but that's (probably) more an issue having to do with the insane cost of housing than their parenting style.

Putting the only girl in a room with 3 boys is parenting style, and then wanting to leave her there and give one of the boys their own room is also parenting style. As is needing internet strangers to tell them how insane this is.

Note that the parents that created this whole situation are sacrificing nothing, they have their own room while they've crammed their kids in like sardines. It wouldn't kill them to sleep in the living area, especially since this is supposed to be temporary.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

please knock Mom! posted:

It’s a useless post that doesn’t solve anything and only serves as a method for you to chide them. What are they going to do, stuff one of the kids back into the mom? Eat the fattest one?

Obviously not I just honestly don't get sometimes why people keep having kids. Most millennials I know kept putting off even one because of economic reasons and not wanting to raise a kid till they're in a p stable place in their life and along rolls stories about parents having 4 in a 2 bedroom. I mean I guess in the story the family had been planning on moving to a bigger house in the near future, it's just an alien situation to get stuck in in the first place to me.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I’m dating a bad tattooist?

quote:

Hey I’ve (26F) been dating my partner (30M) for nearly 4 years, he’s a tattooist and has been for most of his life. Things have been going great and we’re really good together. However, his tattoos aren’t really amazing. He has done some that are alright, and others that are crazy good, but it’s really hit and miss and I’m worried I’m going to end up with a tattoo that’s awful.

He’s started a piece on my arm, and I really like it so far (some lines are a bit wonky and it’s not perfect but it’s still a nice design) but I’m so worried about getting it finished because I don’t think he can do it in the style I would like. I really like smooth shaded tattoos that are realistic, but he can’t seem to do that. He’s tried on others and it’s honestly embarrassing when you compare his tattoos to a reference photo. He always does other styles that he can’t do.

I’ve tried talking to him about it and have told him in the nicest way possible that he has the ability to improve his work, I told him I’d even help him put money towards buying a new gun etc. His equipment is really outdated and I feel that’s what let’s him down as he is such a brilliant artist in general, some of the pictures he has drawn are incredible!

I’m hoping that if he gets a new gun his work will improve, because he will NOT let me go to anyone else for a tattoo. If I were to, I feel like he’d never talk to me again and he has made that pretty clear. But I also realize I have the freedom to go to anyone who I like, if they are capable of doing a style I would like, so it’s not fair.

I want to support my boyfriend and have his art on my body, and be proud, but I just know I’m going to end up with I’m unhappy about. I’ve spoke to him today about it also, and he doesn’t realize I’m just trying to help and be critical in way that helps him improve. He gets extra defensive and just tells me to gently caress off to someone else. I can understand why it upsets him as he has been in this profession for a long time, but he also needs to hear it from my side that I’m going to have to permanently have something on my body that looks like a joke.

What can I do here? And how can I be supportive without making him feel like he’s poo poo at what he does? Should I just let him finish my arm and see how it turns out?

TL;DR My tattooist boyfriend is kind of crappy at detailed tattoos and I don’t know how to talk to him about it without him getting defensive

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

ArbitraryC posted:

What if you can support them at one point in time and then life happens and it is hard to support them at another point in time?

"Shouldn't have had them then" is useless to say, at best, and staggeringly rude besides.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

FallenGod posted:

What if you can support them at one point in time and then life happens and it is hard to support them at another point in time?

"Shouldn't have had them then" is useless to say, at best, and staggeringly rude besides.

Eh, fair enough. 4 just seems like a whole lot to me.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

ArbitraryC posted:

Most millennials I know kept putting off even one because of economic reasons and not wanting to raise a kid till they're in a p stable place in their life

So when is this stable period supposed to be

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

please knock Mom! posted:

So when is this stable period supposed to be

Magic 8 ball is saying never.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

The hiring manager [30sF] where I [30sF] am interviewing is someone I fired last year.

quote:

I hired a girl over the summer. She didn't make it through her probationary period. She came highly recommended by her references; she was a fast learner, had worked through a merger and helped it go through seamlessly.

I thought she was terrible at her job with my company and fired her on her 89th day. On her exit interview, she stated that she felt she had been poorly trained and that my temper made her worried about asking for further training, stating that I blew up on her when she asked for clarification on something a few weeks in. She then packed her things and left without so much as another word.

I found out through a mutual friend the day she was fired she was offered her job back with a $3 an hour raise and added responsibilities despite having quit just days into her two week notice.

Well, my boss had to lay us all of because of recent events. When I called and got an interview, the woman who spoke to me said that the hiring manger/trainer would be seeing me in the office despite it being closed and everyone working remotely. I was given her name and I instantly felt sick because it was her. I didn't realize the company had changed their name since I had seen her resume.

Should I even go to the interview? I admit, I do have a pretty bad temper that she had witnessed within days of being hired, but I was great at my job. I know her company is desperately hiring workers to meet demand and I need the job.

TL;DR: Girl wasn't a good fit for my job, I fired her. She's now interviewing me for a job and I'm afraid there's nothing I can do to salvage it. Should I even try?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

The hiring manager [30sF] where I [30sF] am interviewing is someone I fired last year.

Lol oops.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DemoneeHo posted:

Corona ruining graduation gift plans

drat, i wish i had a gift registry for my college graduation

poo poo I didn't even bother walking, and my family certainly was not going to bother coming down for it. Gift registry? lmao

It's like, I graduated college, big whoop. Millions of complete idiots do so every single year

DemoneeHo posted:

no just give up like the temper tantrum-having coward that you are

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

DemoneeHo posted:

Lmaaaaaooooooo

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

DemoneeHo posted:

I like how she sorta just glosses over the employee was so good they immediately got taken back with a raise.

OP sounds like a terrible supervisor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
OP is such an unclear writer that I have trouble believing they're good at the job.

ArbitraryC posted:

I like how she sorta just glosses over the employee was so good they immediately got taken back with a raise.

Case in point:
> she was offered her job back with a $3 an hour raise and added responsibilities despite having quit just days into her two week notice.

She quit? or she was fired on the 89th day?
How did OP, who presumably kept working there, not know she was hired back?
If she didn't accept the offer that day, how did she end up working there?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for not letting someone come to my house because they are gay?

quote:

Throwaway bc it’s not a very common situation...

Ok so I’m not really sure how to say this, but it happened a few months ago, and everyone keeps calling me a bad person for it.

To start, I am a lesbian, from a very anti-LGBT family. One of my friends is also gay, and she is VERY open about it, like her whole life is rainbow themed (I.e. her hair, bags, phone case). And we have been hanging out at like malls and everything, just anywhere but my house, for obvious reasons.

So one day, she suggests we should hang out at my house, since she has never been there for the 5 years we have been friends. I say that I would like her too, but if she would not act so openly gay around my family, because I: 1) don’t want to out myself 2) my family can be dickheads to anyone LGBT 3) they won’t let me be friends with her anymore

And she said that I was trying to discriminate against her and the LGBT community, and how I shouldn’t make her hide her true self. I get where she is coming from, but I have explained my situation to her.

Then, she told all my friends, and they all agree with her that I am an rear end in a top hat. I can’t help but feel lovely, but I can’t change my situation, and I don’t want to make things worse.

So people of reddit, Am I The rear end in a top hat?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

OP is such an unclear writer that I have trouble believing they're good at the job.

Case in point:
> she was offered her job back with a $3 an hour raise and added responsibilities despite having quit just days into her two week notice.

I gathered she quit the previous job shortly into working there because she got a better offer from this one. Presumably she had applied to both, initially got accepted and started at the other one, then finally heard back from the OP's place a couple weeks later. When things didn't work out at the OP's place, the previous job was like "gently caress yeah we'll take ya back".

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

kimbo305 posted:

Case in point:

She means she quit her old job to work at the OP's place and didn't give two weeks notice. She got fired from her new job after 89 days, and then got offered her old job back with a raise, implying that they were willing to overlook her not giving notice because she's Just That Good when her supervisor isn't a redditor.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

kimbo305 posted:

All of this was clear from the post, you can't read or something. hth

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

maybe try not being such an rear end in a top hat? the two posters above you managed to meet that low bar

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Play posted:

maybe try not being such an rear end in a top hat? the two posters above you managed to meet that low bar

Yeah you're probably right. Can't Read posters are like my pet peeve so I get short with them. My b!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

If it was so clear, why did two interpretations not agree on whether the worker gave 2 weeks' notice or not?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not letting someone come to my house because they are gay?

I'm guessing these are kids?

Not sure about rear end in a top hat, but the friend absolutely should not out the OP, and I don't blame her if she's afraid her flamboyant friend might out her.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah you're probably right. Can't Read posters are like my pet peeve so I get short with them. My b!

no worries bro. I was kind of an rear end in a top hat to you too

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DemoneeHo posted:

owned

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

kimbo305 posted:

If it was so clear, why did two interpretations not agree on whether the worker gave 2 weeks' notice or not?

Can't speak for other goons interpretations but it very clear than the lady (not OP) initially gave two weeks notice to her old job, but then left after a few days anyway. That is what happened as written. If someone is interpreting otherwise, they are wrong.

Play posted:

no worries bro. I was kind of an rear end in a top hat to you too

:cheerdoge:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

I'm guessing these are kids?

Not sure about rear end in a top hat, but the friend absolutely should not out the OP, and I don't blame her if she's afraid her flamboyant friend might out her.

Outing lgbtq people is one of those things that is never okay in any capacity but redditors love saying "well X deserves to know he/she is trans" whenever its a trans person in a relationship.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Can't speak for other goons interpretations but it very clear than the lady (not OP) initially gave two weeks notice to her old job, but then left after a few days anyway. That is what happened as written. If someone is interpreting otherwise, they are wrong.

It's truly not clear to me that "job back" is the previous job, having not been previously mention, and then it's implicitly where OP Is interviewing? I'm all for reading the posts, but this was not that clear.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

DemoneeHo posted:

I’m dating a bad tattooist?

he will NOT let me go to anyone else for a tattoo

Ultimatums are the tool of an abuser.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for trying to ground my son from Playstation for "gamer" language?

I was doing laundry in the other room and heard my son scream to somebody on his game "you just got raped!" I came out and saw him playing one of his shooter games with his friends online. I already don't like those kind of games but I know its not real so I tolerate it, but what I won't tolerate is that disgusting kind of language. I was upset my own son only at 11 would be using this kind of language, so I've decided to ground him because of it.

Problem is, my husband thinks im overeacting and taking it away from him is wrong especially during stay at home order when there is not much to do. Says its just gamer language that the kids use and its not close to the real thing, sort of like when you say "gently caress" you dont actually always mean sex. I completely disagree with his explanation but he went behind my back and reinstated it for our son.

Am i overreacting here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah you got to nip that poo poo in the bud