Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Won’t most people stationed on an aircraft carrier be in a state of physical fitness and overall health that won’t be representative of the population in general?

They're significantly younger than the population at large, and they are unlikely to have any of the really nasty pre-existing conditions. But they should also have a pretty clear idea on the timeline, who got infected, who didn't get infected, and how they got infected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I drove on vacation from the Chicago area to Rapid City, SD. We celebrated when we crossed the MN/SD border until we realized that we were only at the half way point of our 12 hour trip and the other 6 hours were all South Dakota.

They all looked like this picture.

I do not plan on taking this trip again.

To be fair, the Badlands and Black Hills are gorgeous. But yeah, the high plains are pretty monotone.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKfolJv6Kx8

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Well folks here comes the massive wave of facial recognition in cities. It'll be used for coronavirus surveying, but it won't go away.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Harry Turtledove gives Scott Adams both barrels over Covid-19 reopening of the economy.
https://twitter.com/HNTurtledove/status/1250939689902542848?s=20

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Jeeeesus I can never get over people just outright saying it.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Well folks here comes the massive wave of facial recognition in cities. It'll be used for coronavirus surveying, but it won't go away.

Acceleration of surveillance capitalism is 100% the endgame. Good to remember that Jeff Bezos increased his net worth by $24 billion this year.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

friendly 2 da void posted:

Acceleration of surveillance capitalism is 100% the endgame. Good to remember that Jeff Bezos increased his net worth by $24 billion this year.

Endgame?

Oh god

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Telsa Cola posted:

Speaking of Jesus, these are also the people that typically claim they are real Christians and everyone else is going to hell. Weird that they missed the whole point of Jesus somehow.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Clearly I was making a reference to the final episode of Star Trek: Voyager, but Alex Jones features mostly the same themes so yeah that works.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
It's official now. DC, Maryland and Virginia are now acting as one.

https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/04/maryland-virgina-and-district-coordinating-virus-response/

Capitol Coalition?

Capitol Confederation?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Delorence Fickle posted:

https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/04/maryland-virgina-and-district-coordinating-virus-response/

Capitol Coalition?

Capitol Confederation?

Isn't the white house or congress able to override the dc mayor

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Are we beginning to balkanize?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Delorence Fickle posted:

Capitol Coalition?

Capitol Confederation?

If only the states in coalitions went blue, they'd have enough electoral votes to be rid of Trump.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Delorence Fickle posted:

Capitol Coalition?

Capitol Confederation?

Capitol Wasteland, clearly

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Fritz the Horse posted:

To be fair, the Badlands and Black Hills are gorgeous. But yeah, the high plains are pretty monotone.

Yeah I wouldn't tell people not to visit - just pay whatever to fly into Rapid City and spend most of your travel time drinking in 2-3 airport bars and on the planes instead of driving through South Dakota.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Celexi posted:

Isn't the white house or congress able to override the dc mayor

Yes.

Congress would be the one to override the mayor and the city council on any laws they pass. This is the reason why DC can't allow the sale of and taxing of marijuana even though the city decriminalized it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_home_rule

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
A while back I asked the thread if anyone had data regarding asthma as a comorbidity or complicating factor with COVID19. At the time the general consensus among health authorities was that no one knew for sure but it seemed likely, so asthmatics should assume they're a high risk group. There were some stories of people with asthma having a really bad time (such as David Lat), but no real data.

Based on some data released by New York, asthma may not actually be so bad: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/health/coronavirus-asthma-risk.html

In their ranking of the top health problems suffered by people who died, asthma isn't high on the list. Only about 5% of deaths were from people with asthma. Seeing as roughly 8% of the country has asthma, that's not too bad.

The New York Times posted:

But this month, when New York State, the epicenter of the outbreak in the United States, began releasing data on the top 10 chronic health problems suffered by people who died from coronavirus, asthma was notably absent from the list. State officials said only about five percent of Covid-19 deaths in New York were of people who were known to also have asthma, a relatively modest amount.

The research at this early stage is minimal and not always consistent, as one would expect. A recent commentary published in Lancet by a group of European researchers called it “striking” that asthma appeared “to be underrepresented in the comorbidities reported for patients with Covid-19” — comorbidity being the term for a secondary health problem. A small study of 24 critically ill patients in Washington State noted that three had asthma.

“We’re not seeing a lot of patients with asthma,” said Dr. Bushra Mina, a pulmonary and critical care physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, which has treated more than 800 Covid cases. The more common risk factors, he added, are “morbid obesity, diabetes and chronic heart disease.”

The top Covid-19 comorbidities listed by New York, in order, are hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, coronary artery disease, dementia and atrial fibrillation, a heart condition. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, another respiratory ailment, but one with an older demographic than asthma, ranks seventh. Renal disease, cancer and congestive heart failure round out the list.

It's early data, and it could be missing something, but at least it's a little bit of hope for people with asthma. Personally I'll keep operating on the assumption I'm high risk, but I won't say no to a bit less anxiety. I know there were some others in this thread in a similar boat, so I figured I'd share.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Utah sucks. There have been protests here all week by idiots who are complaining about their rights. All the while there hasn’t been a statewide stay at home order at all, there has been a directive from the governor that doesn’t have any requirements. What’s worse is the Salt Lake City/county mayor actually did issue a county-wide order that everyone ignored but just rescinded it because of all the protests. I need to get out of this loving state.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Fallom posted:

I've seen Twitter checkmarks claiming their virologists that say the viral load thing does matter, but Twitter is full of morons with PhDs. I really doubt a significant number of people dying in hospitals have been mainlining corona instead of just having an incidental exposure.

I'm way more inclined to buy the argument that a lot of doctors are older, they have their own medical conditions, they're stressed out and not eating or sleeping properly, and they're far more likely to get infected than anyone else.

It isn't just older doctors getting seriously sick. A lot of the younger deaths are doctors and nurses as well. Getting coughed on all day is going to increase the odds of getting infected than incidental exposure.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is this virus never going to go away naturally? Or will it eventually mutate into a less lethal form? I hope that the second wave isn't as bad as the first, but I don't want to behold to foolish expectations.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

GutBomb posted:

Utah sucks. There have been protests here all week by idiots who are complaining about their rights. All the while there hasn’t been a statewide stay at home order at all, there has been a directive from the governor that doesn’t have any requirements. What’s worse is the Salt Lake City/county mayor actually did issue a county-wide order that everyone ignored but just rescinded it because of all the protests. I need to get out of this loving state.

Is it spreading in Utah, or did they get lucky and they're riding on the success of every other state's social distancing so far?

Grouchio posted:

Is this virus never going to go away naturally? Or will it eventually mutate into a less lethal form? I hope that the second wave isn't as bad as the first, but I don't want to behold to foolish expectations.

Who knows. Mutating into something less lethal has happened in the past. It could stay the same, could mutate into something more lethal. My non-epidemiologist guess is that the best-case scenario on the second wave rides on the combination of the success of:

1. Antiviral drug trials finding something that decreases the intensity and lethality of the virus

2. Social distancing measures being followed seriously by the population at large

3. Mass deployment and refinement of testing allowing for quickly isolating hotspots

4. In concert with #3, isolation and contact tracing being used to keep infected people away from their family, housemates, coworkers, neighbors, etc.

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 18, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Simplex posted:

The Charles de Gaulle is inadvertently almost the perfect laboratory. The population of the ship isn't at all representative of the population at large, but there is a lot of information we can glean from it. The ship was at sea for roughly a month with limited exposure to the outside world. So far roughly half the the crew has tested positive with another 15% of the crew tests still pending results. Of the positive tests only about half are showing symptoms, 2.5% are in the hospital with 1 person in the ICU.

There's a pretty wide range of "test everybody" studies going on right now including the Santa Clara, I know for sure of one in Iceland and one in Telluride, CO. All of them so far seem to be pretty consistent in showing that early reporting massively overestimated the severity of the virus, probably because early reporting also massively underestimated the prevalence of the virus.

The current WHO estimate is a fatality rate of .66% including asymptomatic cases, which is probably pretty close to accurate, but that would suggest there were around 5 million people who had contracted the disease in the US alone as of two weeks ago.

Yeah, the problem is that estimates of asymptomatic cases are often orders of magnitude different. I have an easier time believing the 2--1 de Gaulle and Iceland estimates than the 50-80x undertesting indicated by Santa Clara. They're not directly comparable because underreporting can be missing mild cases as well as asymptomatic, but that's an enormous difference. I suppose it might be more believable with our "stay home with mild symptoms" policy, but if the other cfrs and asymptomatic rates are accurate then 50-80x underreporting would be showing up as a much higher cfr/hospitalization rate than Santa Clara is currently seeing.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Telsa Cola posted:

It pays to remember that people like Scott loving Adams aren't actually willing to die for the economy, they can just accurately read those numbers and think "it probably won't be me." Anyone who brings up acceptable losses in a scenario like this is just admitting to being a loving monster.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Paradoxish posted:

It pays to remember that people like Scott loving Adams aren't actually willing to die for the economy, they can just accurately read those numbers and think "it probably won't be me." Anyone who brings up acceptable losses in a scenario like this is just admitting to being a loving monster.

Yeah. I spoke to my brother the other day and he said something ghoulish about how he was looking at this "philosphically" and there were "too many people", and I'm just thinking to myself "you wouldn't be saying that if mom and dad were in the ICU, slowly drowning in their own lungs..."

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Paradoxish posted:

Don't we have to talk about inevitable losses, though? We can slow the burn rate so it doesn't overwhelm capacity, but it's still a deadly virus, and we're not going to have vacant city streets for 18 months (nor, necessarily, a vaccine in 18 months). We do need to be talking about what staged reopening of various things looks like once the first wave is over -- but we also need to be talking about the ongoing burn of this, in terms of mortality, because I don't see how it doesn't stay out there and much scarier than influenzas for a long while.

e: gently caress Scott Adams, obviously. It's not a matter of people dying "for the economy"; it's a matter of a complete social lockdown not being sustainable or desirable for the unknown length of time a vaccine might take

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 18, 2020

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Are we beginning to balkanize?

Aren't starts versions of that already?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
The same people who just can't take another minute inside their air-conditioned homes due to shelter-in-place are the same ones who point out the sacrifice that LE, soldiers, et al make.

They're pussies who think they'll be one of the ones who won't get the virus.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Don't we have to talk about inevitable losses, though? We can slow the burn rate so it doesn't overwhelm capacity, but it's still a deadly virus, and we're not going to have vacant city streets for 18 months (nor, necessarily, a vaccine in 18 months). We do need to be talking about what staged reopening of various things looks like once the first wave is over -- but we also need to be talking about the ongoing burn of this, in terms of mortality, because I don't see how it doesn't stay out there and much scarier than influenzas for a long while.

e: gently caress Scott Adams, obviously. It's not a matter of people dying "for the economy"; it's a matter of a complete social lockdown not being sustainable or desirable for the unknown length of time a vaccine might take

It depends on what happens after restrictions start coming up. The bottom line is that you can't have a normal, functional society while something like this is spreading uncontrolled through the population. If we end up with hospitals overflowing as just a normal part of day-to-day life, then you won't need lockdown orders because people will be terrified of going outside. People starved to death during the Spanish Flu pandemic because they were afraid to leave their homes and get food.

I don't think we're going to have a permanent lockdown for 18 months. I do think we're going to have rolling lockdowns for a long time because the alternative is a situation where people refuse to go to work or to send their kids to school. It doesn't make sense to talk about "inevitable" or "acceptable" losses, because the policy needs to be (and almost certainly will be in most places) to just shut everything down whenever there's an outbreak.

edit- and probably we'll need to keep a bunch of social distancing guidelines up even when we're not locked down, and avoid large gatherings for a long time

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 18, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

edit- and probably we'll need to keep a bunch of social distancing guidelines up even when we're not locked down, and avoid large gatherings for a long time
So no dance clubs or concert venues for the rest of the year?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

haveblue posted:

Capitol Wasteland, clearly

And yet they called it the National Capital Region - the NCR!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

HolHorsejob posted:

Is it spreading in Utah, or did they get lucky and they're riding on the success of every other state's social distancing so far?

It’s steady at about 120ish new cases per day. But testing is low. The schools have all been closed so a ton of people have to stay home to take care of their kids so things are where they are because of the bare minimum of what people here are doing but the few outings I’ve had over the past month or so to bring my kid back and forth between my house and her mom’s house I’ve noticed that pretty much nothing is closed. The driving range by my house is perpetually packed with people. Nail salons, lego stores, board game stores, every parking lot is packed.

Comments on local news articles are all “we are much lower than most places, it’s time to reopen” failing to realize that the reason it’s relatively low is because of the circumstances which are keeping most people from going to work. Intermixed with those comments are “it’s just the government taking away our rights” and I just have to wonder if they think this is some coordinated worldwide effort to make everyone poor. It’s like they don’t realize this isn’t just happening in the US.

I moved here so my kid from my current marriage can grow up with my kid from my previous one but I can’t wait until she goes to college and we can get the gently caress out of this terrible state.

I moved here from Boston and the stark contrast from one of the most liberal places in the country to this weird conservative shithole is striking.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 18, 2020

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/JohnMullahy/status/1251237771869642752

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the primary the Republicans forced in-person voting for was on April 7.

Ed: Relevant graph so it's visible without having to click through:

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 18, 2020

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1251332372798324738

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

incogneato posted:

A while back I asked the thread if anyone had data regarding asthma as a comorbidity or complicating factor with COVID19. At the time the general consensus among health authorities was that no one knew for sure but it seemed likely, so asthmatics should assume they're a high risk group. There were some stories of people with asthma having a really bad time (such as David Lat), but no real data.

Based on some data released by New York, asthma may not actually be so bad: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/health/coronavirus-asthma-risk.html

In their ranking of the top health problems suffered by people who died, asthma isn't high on the list. Only about 5% of deaths were from people with asthma. Seeing as roughly 8% of the country has asthma, that's not too bad.

It's early data, and it could be missing something, but at least it's a little bit of hope for people with asthma. Personally I'll keep operating on the assumption I'm high risk, but I won't say no to a bit less anxiety. I know there were some others in this thread in a similar boat, so I figured I'd share.

Thank you for posting this. I've been worrying about it a lot and this is a good sign.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Re Utah: It’s true that there’s no stay at home order which is stupid. But restaurants are closed and the Mormon church cancelled all gatherings, which gets rid of a lot of the potential for spreading

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://dereferer.me/?ohnqgL83pwq-g...Dz0RvNvGZNjqZR3

This site is as pro-working class an English language source as exists in Thailand. They do really good reporting. It's difficult to compare Thailand to anything in the US, but imagine if NYC were basically the seat of all - and I mean almost entirely all - of the political and economic power for the entire country and the vast majority of the rest of the country were West Virginia. No Houstons, no San Franciscos, no Salt Lake Cities, no Atlantas, no Chicagos, just NYC and then a bunch of minor provincial capitals. That's the backdrop for the article - and the region they're talking about, Isaan, would most closely be the equivalent of Mexico for the US, not of any US state, both in its migrant labor patterns and in how it is viewed politically. What it is not reporting is mass death.

There are no bodies in the streets, stacked up in the temples, flowing out of hospitals, anywhere in Thailand that I can find. Wet markets are packed with people, temples are packed with hordes in lines waiting for food donations, a mass migration home in the middle of a pandemic. No fridge trucks full of bodies in a city larger and more populated, and more densely populated (unofficially 12MM) than NYC. I scour anti-government Thai language media regularly and it simply is not there. I talk to people and it's not in anyone's view. They're also not just dying at home in droves, which would also be reported provincially. No idea what's up, but Thailand had the second most cases as of mid-February when I flew out. The sex districts, bars, restaurants, underground casinos, beaches, hotels - everything - were open and packed through mid-late-March. The exodus of workers occurred at that time, not just through Thailand, but on into Myanmar, Cambodia and Lao PDR. I know a fair cross-section of people in Thailand and Cambodia, and some in Lao PDR and Vietnam, and I know the medical and public health community in Thailand. There are patients, people are dying, it's a rough time, but there is nothing like NYC anywhere, and this region had a full month head start on the US with zero serious reaction of any kind. Flights direct from Wuhan were arriving right up until China banned outbound travel from Wuhan in late January , with a reported rush (unverifiable) the day before. I have photos of packed temples and wet markets as of this week.

Thai numbers may be off by a multiple of 10, but they are not off by a multiple of 1,000, and Thailand has a bit more than twice the population of California, for reference, with, as mentioned, no lockdown of any kind until mid-late March and no serious lockdown to this moment.

So far, and they are way ahead in terms of transmission, this is simply not hitting some/much of the Global South the way it is places like Milan and NYC and now Moscow. And especially given the disease vector into Thailand, for example, beginning considerably earlier than the US, direct from the source, and Thailand aving started testing way earlier, it's just one country that, if all math holds equally true, should be World War Z right now - and I can confirm that nothing of the kind is occurring there.

Dunno what's up, no theory, but there's definitely something different from region to region going on. Philippines, India, Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka one of these would have gone full World War Z and it simply has not happened. I've been in the slums of several capital cities, there would be visual evidence of bodies piled high.

Random google, not even looking for Southern Italy: https://www.france24.com/en/20200417-italy-declares-victory-over-covid-19-in-poorer-south

EDIT: Just came across my feed - one of many such scenes you can find every day in Thailand:

https://dereferer.me/?oh2RGWkkEZGN7bydOq5nkKjxDd3zxrq3dPerNlJkJo0_BBDDvPjpzr2ovgnzNrVPqyOL4zgL2Zm64pAjR-dNjL95Vk8Km

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 18, 2020

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Paradoxish posted:

Scott Adams is kinda wierd. At first he was a sharp, funny guy, then he became a Trumpista, then the past few years his politics totally went off the deep end. Without sarcasm, I suspect some brain condition.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Gynovore posted:

Scott Adams is kinda wierd. At first he was a sharp, funny guy, then he became a Trumpista, then the past few years his politics totally went off the deep end. Without sarcasm, I suspect some brain condition.

I remember him being a piece of poo poo as early as when I was in high school, so like fifteen years ago now. This isn't a recent development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnMullahy/status/1251237771869642752

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the primary the Republicans forced in-person voting for was on April 7.

Ed: Relevant graph so it's visible without having to click through:

so in 5 to 14 days those astrotuff protests are gonna see similiar spikes too right?

(aslo what about the Easter masses?)