Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hal Incandenza posted:

I certainly don't want to mix people we think are scum and town together, that is just dumb.

It seems like there isn't enough agreement to do otherwise.

Like MMT's completely diametrically opposed scum/town list to a few people is a good example of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

King Burgundy posted:

I'm going to be super paranoid about Bif though, throughout the whole game, unless we get a clear.

Whaaaat

I mean I always gotta be paranoid about you cause all you gotta do is sit back not making any dumbshit moves and I'll think that's townie

But since when can you not tell when I get into effort town hyperdrive

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

King Burgundy posted:

It seems like there isn't enough agreement to do otherwise.

Like MMT's completely diametrically opposed scum/town list to a few people is a good example of that.

Lol well if the list ends up being super townie for some and super scummy for others that kinda works out hey

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Murmur Twin posted:

This is actually kinda my thing! Unfortunately I'm a bit high and drunk at the moment, but I wanna take a stab at this anyways.

Right now, we have SSV who I believe to be confirmed town. Let's set him aside for the purposes of this number-crunching.

That means right now, there are 12 players of unknown alignment: 4 scum and 8 town. For any random non-SSV we pick at random, they have a 33% chance of being scum. When we get results, we're basically getting information that, in an ideal world, narrows that down.

Assuming four kills (which is setting aside Moat's dayvig for a second), there are four possible outcomes:
- NO MURDERERS: pretty good. we now have five confirmed town and a pool of eight players with a 50% chance of being scum each.
- ONE MURDERER: the worst case scenario. we now have a pool of four players that each have a 25% chance of being scum, and a pool of eight players with three scum (37.5% each). In other words, we basically wasted a day.
- TWO MURDERERS: meh. we now have a pool of four players with a 50% shot each of being scum, and a pool of eight players with two scum (25% each)
- THREE MURDERERS: really good. we now have a pool of four players with a 75% each of being scum, and a pool of eight players with one scum (12.5% each)

The problem is that I think it's really easy for scum to swerve us into a ONE MURDERER and make us lose a day. We're acting like it's easy to just spot town and put up four non-scum, but I'm not really sure that's the case (especially if Moat is a scum dayvig). Put another way, I think it's a lot easier to hunt for 4 scum than it is to hunt for 8 town, which is essentially what we'd be doing.

tl;dr: My personal preference would be:

1. We play this like mafia, and hunt for scum.
2. We pre-arrange for a loop to mass-claim (we're on loop 2, I'd say loop 3 might be optimal?)
3. By the time we mass-claim, we'll ideally have enough information to deduce who the scum are.

lol it took me too long to write this, lemme catch up and I'll get back to you but I'm going to bed soon.

This odds post was super useful btw, thanks.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bifauxnen posted:

Whaaaat

I mean I always gotta be paranoid about you cause all you gotta do is sit back not making any dumbshit moves and I'll think that's townie

But since when can you not tell when I get into effort town hyperdrive

Didn't you literally win as scum in the last shine we played? Am I making that up?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

King Burgundy posted:

Didn't you literally win as scum in the last shine we played? Am I making that up?

Yeah but only cause we scumhammered before all the wagons circled around me haha

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

SirSamVimes posted:

I like this idea. Instead of a lumpenlist, everyone should post a) who they'd choose if we were doing a four townie hang b) who they'd choose if they were doing a four scum hang.

So yeah:

Town: Me, MMT, Somber and Bif
Scum: Merk, Hal, GK, Steak

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

KB can you please follow this link to review the full quotes in MTs original post:

Murmur Twin posted:

I was tunnelling on him a lot d1 but his reactions to d2 have been very similar to mine as I read along.

Specifically

OK for real, bedtime

What do you think of her plopping Hal on her top ten list based on something so trivial?

She says Hal's "reactions" were similar to hers but the post she quoted is only setup chat with no reads

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Maf edit: top town list, not top ten list

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Also, all the setup spec Hal spouted there seemed extremely straightforward safe stuff that scum would have no issue conceding to look like theyre engaging

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Somberbrero posted:

what really irritates me here is that mmt is being completely inscrutable and doing a hard 180 on everything she said yesterday and you're just being super agreeable and i don't trust it.

kb is scum in this scenario bc he says mmt is playing her town game yes?

hey by the way we really have to make something happen holy poo poo we're going to lose if we waste today

Read Shine V and tell me she isn't playing the same as she did there.

She constantly had opinions that differed from most people, and as the thread leader who knew/suspected(I don't remember) that she was town I remember having to take the lead and sway people away from her, while also trying to guide her away from bad targets. And she didn't want to listen to me at times, even though I was the leader. :) (MMT, forgive me if I am misremembering any of this, this is the impression of events that has remained in my brain)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

But what about Fate Soldiers, KB

She's well aware of her meta

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy posted:

Read Shine V and tell me she isn't playing the same as she did there.

She constantly had opinions that differed from most people, and as the thread leader who knew/suspected(I don't remember) that she was town I remember having to take the lead and sway people away from her, while also trying to guide her away from bad targets. And she didn't want to listen to me at times, even though I was the leader. :) (MMT, forgive me if I am misremembering any of this, this is the impression of events that has remained in my brain)

To be clear, those different opinions were sometimes right and sometimes wrong. And I had way more knowledge then she or anyone else. Just to be clear that I'm not in any way saying she didn't rock. This was just to draw your attention to the fact that this play looks exactly the same.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bifauxnen posted:

But what about Fate Soldiers, KB

She's well aware of her meta

I had her pegged from the other thread way before most, despite her activity levels. That game play was different.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This is one other part that pinged me:

Moatillata posted:

Yeah but I use my power and then we get one scum result in four? I mean cmon

You all should be thanking me right now for confirming ssv as town

Murmur Twin posted:

^ what town player would ever post this?

Moat: just checking, you're saying we should thank you for dayvigging a confirmed town tracker, and then leading us into what would have likely been the result anyways?

"what town player would ever post this" feels like such an overreach

Anyone with the slightest bit of humor will always love a good "I confirmed X as town" vig joke. It is not hard to see this as conceivable town banter.

Also the "dayvigging a confirmed town tracker" is laying it on so thick, Vimes is only confirmed now and like she says in the next sentence, it would have likely been the result anyway. Not like Moat would've really singlehandedly been responsible for Vimes death even if this was a normal game.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

Also the "dayvigging a confirmed town tracker" is laying it on so thick, Vimes is only confirmed now and like she says in the next sentence, it would have likely been the result anyway. Not like Moat would've really singlehandedly been responsible for Vimes death even if this was a normal game.

I should be more clear here, MT seems to be simultaneously saying that Moat's vig didn't matter... while also trying to clutch her pearls at how rash and untownie Moat was for vidging the town tracker oh noes how horrible and untowny was that move

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bifauxnen posted:

KB can you please follow this link to review the full quotes in MTs original post:

What do you think of her plopping Hal on her top ten list based on something so trivial?

She says Hal's "reactions" were similar to hers but the post she quoted is only setup chat with no reads

I think it is awesome that she was able to refresh her read of someone she was sure was scum that quickly and I appreciate that she isn't tunneling as much as she used to.

But I disagree with her. I think she was right initially. :)

---

A lot of this game, for many people, is finding someone scummy for disagreeing with us(they are obviously protecting their scum bud, or are scum trying to push an obvious town, etc) or towny for agreeing with us. Not everyone plays this way, but it is certainly a fair amount of folks. I certainly find myself doing it when there isn't more important game mechanics to be looking at for why someone is scum. ;)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bifauxnen posted:

Also, all the setup spec Hal spouted there seemed extremely straightforward safe stuff that scum would have no issue conceding to look like theyre engaging

Agreed.

Bifauxnen posted:

This is one other part that pinged me:

"what town player would ever post this" feels like such an overreach

Anyone with the slightest bit of humor will always love a good "I confirmed X as town" vig joke. It is not hard to see this as conceivable town banter.

Eh. I don't disagree here. But it doesn't feel fake to me.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ok, I think I responded to everything that caught my eye.

Anything else before I hammer and get some sleep?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Nah, that's it for now

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Murmur Twin posted:

lol I shouldn't maf drunk :eng99:

I'm moving my vote to ##vote Grandicap because I think he scumslipped earlier which is a more damning case than Somber for now, and then I'm seriously shutting the laptop

I actually missed this and am sad that MMT went to bed after posting this without filling us in.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##vote Grandi

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

:beerpal: Votecount for Day 4 :beerpal:

Grandicap (7): Somberbrero, Grandicap, Murmur Twin, Bifauxnen, Moatillata, SirSamVimes, King Burgundy
Iron Chef Ramen (1): George Kansas
Somberbrero (0): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin
Moatillata (0): Moatillata, Moatillata
Murmur Twin (0): Moatillata, Moatillata
Bifauxnen (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Moatillata, Moatillata

Not Voting (5): Captain Foo, Hal Incandenza, Iron Chef Ramen, merk, Mr. Steak :rubshands:

With 13 people still alive, it takes 7 votes to execute.
The current deadline is April 18th, 2020 at noon EDT -- that's in about 7 hours, 7 minutes.

:redhammer:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ok, I can catch up now. Good morning.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

Ok, I can catch up now. Good morning.

Morning! I doubt you are going to be happy with this game...

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ok, this is an interesting game.

Did scum know this is how the game was going to work from the start of the game? The answer to that question completely changes the dynamic of what happened d1.

If scum knew, I think getting SSV confirmed is a bad result for scum. To balance that out, scum maybe would have attempted to get one of their own lynched to make it a town/scum lynch split. The only potentially viable candidate yesterday for lynch after SSV was Hal, and the only person jumping off the page to make that happen was MMT.

That said, if scum knew, scum definitely would have been opposed to lynching another town yesterday because that would have made two confirmed towns. If Hal is town, then, people against the Hal lynch would jump out as scum.

---

If scum didn't know, we can treat d1 like any other d1.

This might be moot analysis. I'm not sure we will ever get the answer to this question. My gut would be to lynch MMT and Hal to see what falls out of there. That ship today, however, has sailed.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
To be clear, I think any day with:
1. one lynch is a bad day for scum.
2. multiple lynches of all town or all scum is a bad day for scum.
3. multiple lynches of varying town/scum is the best day for scum.

My only strategy thought is that we should be either lynching one person or multiple people where we have very high confidence that they are the same flip.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

To be clear, I think any day with:
1. one lynch is a bad day for scum.

This of course changes as the game goes on. We can't single lynch more than once more probably. I'm not sure. Just spitballing there.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Looking at what happened today now more closely.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Grandicap posted:

I can see seeing moat as scum if you just look at his play. But that ability man, there is no loving way, and I'm willing to take this game down based entirely on that assumption.

I'm not sure this makes sense anymore. We do not know the restrictions of Moat's role.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ok, I think Grandicap is town if scum knew the game works as it does on d1. He was a strong advocate for SSV's lynch and then quickly shifted to voting no lynch.

If the scum didn't know, I'm not sure. Grandicap's 100% confirmation of Moat being town based solely on role is too confident with the game shift.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

Ok, I think Grandicap is town if scum knew the game works as it does on d1. He was a strong advocate for SSV's lynch and then quickly shifted to voting no lynch.

Actually, I take this back. Confirming one town and yourself looking town in the process would be a benefit.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This game is hosed. I need to make a coffee and think more. I have no idea.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would be surprised if scum knew the mechanic ahead of time, bit if they did they would definitely be the people who wanted more kills I agree, scum will always want as many kills each day as possible if they can get one scum in the group

But really I don't think they knew yesterday

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress, i didnt realize 1st deadline was so soon. im still catching up on the last like 5 pages.

initial thoughts on the setup twist discussion: we should absolutely continue to vote for scum today. the idea of trying to confirm 4 townies w the lunch is a fine one, but it's really not sustainable in the long-term. it's true that it would only take 2 perfect days of that plan before there are only 4 non-confirmed players, but the chances of getting 4 townies up even out of 12 is slim, so doing it again out of 8 is almost impossible. and aiming that way would result in vote patterns being almost useless to us for analysis. we only have four days to solve the game (plus 1 last day to input our answer), so i think the odds are very much against us in that strategy.

in the "vote town" strategy, even a single slip-up would yield the worst-case scenario of "one scum detected out of four". on the other hand, making an effort to send as many scum as possible to be eccocopped is more likely to yield results of more than 1 scum, and there's also the boon of being able to use vote patterns as evidence, since scum would surely not want to send more scum into a check if they can help it (tho they might want to send a scum in 3rd or 4th to prevent confirming people)

tl;dr: vote for scum

more detailed thoughts to come when im at my computer and caught up

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Incandenza posted:

I would be surprised if scum knew the mechanic ahead of time, bit if they did they would definitely be the people who wanted more kills I agree, scum will always want as many kills each day as possible if they can get one scum in the group

But really I don't think they knew yesterday

We might have to assume that scum didn't know at game start right now to make heads or tails of what the gently caress to do. Every read I am thinking quickly on through my head hinges on that issue.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

This game is hosed. I need to make a coffee and think more. I have no idea.

Yeah same, still think trying for four town is the worst strategy though

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mr. Steak posted:

initial thoughts on the setup twist discussion: we should absolutely continue to vote for scum today. the idea of trying to confirm 4 townies w the lunch is a fine one, but it's really not sustainable in the long-term.

We don't have to use all four lynches. Confirming 2-3 town would be fine.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yeah same, still think trying for four town is the worst strategy though

I think lynching scum is probably still the right strategy. I'm not sure what to do now that we've lynched Grandicap.

Ok, actually making coffee now. Be back shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

merk posted:

I think lynching scum is probably still the right strategy. I'm not sure what to do now that we've lynched Grandicap.

Ok, actually making coffee now. Be back shortly.

grandi has a good chance of being scum, so lets keep voting scummy people up there