Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably a good thing she's out of the restaurant game right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

This carbonara episode has turned me pro Sohla. That was awesome.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Tres Burritos posted:

This carbonara episode has turned me pro Sohla. That was awesome.

...turned you pro? how the hell were you ambivalent/negative about her?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Now I want a follow-up where these guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnZ_70XyVAk watch the BA video

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They'll be just as insufferable. Bunch of food fascists.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Resting Lich Face posted:

Best way to cook.

Ideally get the knifework out of the way before getting too sloshed.

And definitely don’t use a mandolin.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fartington Butts posted:

And definitely don’t use a mandolin.

Yeah, no one wants some drunk rear end in a top hat trying to play wonderwall in his kitchen.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

.Z. posted:

Sohla clearly deciding to use her dish to troll everyone was great.

Haha the pasta water foam

I hope this is a soft launch for her own segment/show. Have two other chefs do the Modern/Classic and let her go ham doing something experimental.

I really want a dehydrator so I can try doing that thing she did with the pasta (or maybe you could just deep-fry dry pasta? I don't know). You could make weird little puffed snacks from different shapes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Watching the BA tour of home kitchens was great, mostly because I realized my kitchen was better than most of theirs

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

And yet you still can't make a burger

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Mu Zeta posted:

They'll be just as insufferable. Bunch of food fascists.

The follow up video where they make their own actually shows they're really creative with their takes on carbonara and there's plenty of room to play around with the dish, they just don't gently caress it up by ruining the delicate balance of ingredients like every American take on the dish does.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Catfishenfuego posted:

they just don't gently caress it up by ruining the delicate balance of ingredients like every American take on the dish does.

lol

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Catfishenfuego posted:

The follow up video where they make their own actually shows they're really creative with their takes on carbonara and there's plenty of room to play around with the dish, they just don't gently caress it up by ruining the delicate balance of ingredients like every American take on the dish does.

What did Carla and Chris do wrong with their carbonaras in your opinion?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
lmao, we got a live one

Tell me, how is there "plenty of room to play around with the dish", while simultaneously there is a "delicate balance of ingredients"? What makes an Italian person better at making bacon egg and cheese pasta better than an American?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

...turned you pro? how the hell were you ambivalent/negative about her?

I guess she was just never enough of a personality? She doesn't have her own show or anything, she's just in the background of everything else and that makes it hard to shine.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Tres Burritos posted:

I guess she was just never enough of a personality? She doesn't have her own show or anything, she's just in the background of everything else and that makes it hard to shine.

Fair enough. She always struck me as a little ray of sunshine when she'd come in to rescue claire or whoever

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't get the people that hate garlic on carbonara.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Carbonara is the the #1 dish for bringing out rear end in a top hat cuisine purists. This is great just to see their reactions.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

xtal posted:

Carbonara is the the #1 dish for bringing out rear end in a top hat cuisine purists. This is great just to see their reactions.

Unless they're talking about heavy cream, right? Right.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I like to melt two or three slices of American cheese on my carb, that's cool right? I find it really brings out the taste of the cut up hot dogs.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

my favorite carbonara is the samyang hot chicken carbo instant noodle packs

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't get the people that hate garlic on carbonara.

I hate garlic in everything, but that's because i have a mild allium intolerance and too much of the stuff makes me an unhappy camper.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

howe_sam posted:

I hate garlic in everything, but that's because i have a mild allium intolerance and too much of the stuff makes me an unhappy camper.

Vampire, got it.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

prayer group posted:

lmao, we got a live one

Tell me, how is there "plenty of room to play around with the dish", while simultaneously there is a "delicate balance of ingredients"? What makes an Italian person better at making bacon egg and cheese pasta better than an American?

They don't use bacon for a start.

droll posted:

What did Carla and Chris do wrong with their carbonaras in your opinion?

Carla did a traditional carbonara so that was fine. Chris's addition of Smoked Ham Hock sounds like a salty, smoky mess that'd overpower every other part of the dish.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 19, 2020

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Since carbonara is, most likely, a bastardised version of eggs and bacon picked up from GI:s after WWII, shouldn't traditional carbonara be made with spam, powdered eggs and american cheese?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DekeThornton posted:

Since carbonara is, most likely, a bastardised version of eggs and bacon picked up from GI:s after WWII, shouldn't traditional carbonara be made with spam, powdered eggs and american cheese?
Carbonara should be made out of whatever list of ingredients allows you to berate the carbonara recipe you are currently berating because you're an rear end in a top hat. So for instance carbonara should not be made with smoked ham hock, even if an expert cook thinks it will work and puts it in and claims the results taste delicious.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

buncha carbonara gatekeepers itt

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

howe_sam posted:

Sorry that you're allergic to food, have you tried Soylent?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Catfishenfuego posted:

They don't use bacon for a start.

Carla did a traditional carbonara so that was fine. Chris's addition of Smoked Ham Hock sounds like a salty, smoky mess that'd overpower every other part of the dish.

Well they said it tastes fine so I guess you're wrong.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
There is one thing that matters in cooking: does it taste good?

Tradition or anything else is useless.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Resting Lich Face posted:

There is one thing that matters in cooking: does it taste good?

Tradition or anything else is useless.

well, no.... do you want to clarify that a bit? Maybe "for home cooking" perhaps?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCv-RCdAKVE

:dance:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Totally came here to post that. Amazing video. Sohla, best BA

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Taima posted:

Totally came here to post that. Amazing video. Sohla, best BA

I want to see the recipe for the baklava bun she mentioned.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sohla and Brad is the new Claire and Brad.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

droll posted:

well, no.... do you want to clarify that a bit? Maybe "for home cooking" perhaps?

When I go eat at a restaurant that's all I care about, too.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
You have no idea what professional food service is.

quote:

There is one thing that matters in cooking: does it taste good

This is dumb unless its clarified for like a home cook.

droll fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 21, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like almost all the popular youtube food personalities except Adam Ragusea, who is just irritating with his "why I season MY FLOOR NOT MY FOOD" schtick. I just wanted to complain somewhere because he's so goddamn annoying!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sohla has such a warm personality. BA has a good hiring team.

Hunzi is popping up on screen in more videos - building momentum to erase the memory of Vinny from the It’s Alive YouTube comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Sohla has such a warm personality.

She does, and then goes dark at seemingly random times. Sohla's great.