Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

He doesn't really do much of anything in Mudd's Women

I'm still not clear on what his plan was. He was going to 'sell' those women to some lonely men on one planet, but he changes it to Rigel XII when they end up stuck in orbit there. Then he forces Kirk to play ball with the miners because it's either that or the ship falls out of orbit when the power goes out. But he tries to get the head miner to demand that Kirk drops the charges or he won't give them the power crystals. Kirk could easily say 'sure', get the crystals, and tell Mudd 'tough poo poo' because Mudd has no power over him at that point.

Apparently this 'lithium crystals power the ship' thing was a precursor to dilithium being used in future episodes.

Futurama was correct when they said that TOS was '79 episodes, about 30 good ones'

I still think the whole 'the drugs were a placebo' thing is bad writing because how would that explain the Enterprise crew all getting spontaneously thirsty

spillover pheromones from one of spock's various cycles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

Kirk could easily say 'sure', get the crystals, and tell Mudd 'tough poo poo' because Mudd has no power over him at that point.

That's basically what Kirk does do. The episode ends with Mudd still in custody and Kirk planning to turn him over to the police when the ship gets someplace he can.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 19, 2020

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

bull3964 posted:

They cover the cooling system.

Which was nice and warm to sit on in winter in the Midwest Universities where these were, apparently.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Admiralty Flag posted:

I don't see it. If he were manspreading over the cannon instead of walking around it, then yeah

It's "THE BORG ARE EVERYWHERE" Riker.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

The states that lift their lockdowns too early are gonna be like the 1701-A in space dock.

*Beep boop* "RE-RE-RED ALERT" :downs:

Scotty: "I just fixed that bloody thing!"

*Half the bridge crew drops dead*

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/1251782516991721474

Mental Hospitality posted:

I think Doug Drexler is getting drunk on Facebook this morning.

nice hoodie

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Do you even like Star Trek or are you just here for slash and memes

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

McSpanky posted:

I mean, I'm here for all three

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

Posting that meme comes from a place of my well-established love of TMP. And of all the Star Trek movies, I think you reaaaaally gotta love Star Trek for TMP.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

TMP is more watchable than Into Darkness so I don't think that's saying much.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I want 2 kiss every starship

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Brawnfire posted:

same

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The best TMP is the Legacy cut.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The best TMP cut is the one you watch high as balls on the biggest, loudest system you can find.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

McSpanky posted:

Brawnfire posted:

Stay tuned for the hottest forbidden love, a modern day Romeo and Juliet except more sexy, as I finish up my 700k word Warbird/Bird-of-Prey fanfic.
Both infected with a computer virus that makes them sentient, they fall in love during a battle one day and struggle to meet back up amidst the perpetual hatred between their people. Picard makes an impassioned speech at some point, and if Data had emotions, he'd be frustrated that a computer virus is giving spaceships emotions before himself.
CW: war, famine, pestilence, death, deflector dish used as a ██████

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

McSpanky posted:

As if there were more to liking Star Trek than this

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The quarantine made my mom finish off Enterprise a lot faster than she expected to, and that finished off her entire run through Star Trek a lot sooner than she expected to, since she's not willing to buy into a subscription for another streaming service. Any recommendations for what she should watch next that's in the same vein? She prefers things to have less drama, and apparently Orville isn't on Netflix anymore.

For now she's watching through Firefly and she remarked on how it's interesting to bounce between that and Barney Miller since the two shows share an actor.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I tend to like Mudd's Women despite the fact that's foaming-at-the-mouth horny. Mudd is a really enjoyable scoundrel. I watched DISCO before TOS, so I was sort of blindsided to find out that Mudd is just some con-man when the newer show throws him up as a genius psychopath who gets off on murdering people in sadistic ways.

This thread seems to respond strongly to horny.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

The quarantine made my mom finish off Enterprise a lot faster than she expected to, and that finished off her entire run through Star Trek a lot sooner than she expected to, since she's not willing to buy into a subscription for another streaming service. Any recommendations for what she should watch next that's in the same vein? She prefers things to have less drama, and apparently Orville isn't on Netflix anymore.

Stargate comes to mind.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
She might be into Andromeda. Or Earth:Final Conflict, for that matter.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

TheCenturion posted:

no dont

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The best TMP cut is the one you watch high as balls on the biggest, loudest system you can find.

The second best is that one where someone cut the movie to 20 minutes synched to the TRON Legacy soundtrack and it was loving incredible

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seriously take 20 minutes out of your day, put on the good headphones, and watch this

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
seaQuest DSV

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

these are bad television programs

Stargate: SG1 immediately comes to mind along with, hear me out, the X Files.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 19, 2020

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think you should watch Space Precinct.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I think you should watch Space Precinct.

"Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDB9R2_Jk4

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Stargate comes to mind.

Stargate SG-1, to be exact. Followed, if she really liked it, by Stargate: Atlantis.

There were no other Stargate shows.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I was unprepared for this and now I want more.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
drat I'm on season three of DS9 now and I didn't remember that they did the episode about the baby jem'hadar before most of the major dominion war stuff even starts up. I also forgot how much they kind of just ignore the dominion is season 3 in favor of having episodes like meridian or the one with Tom Riker.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The one with Tom Riker does set up the secret Obsidian Order fleet that comes into play later with the Dominion.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tighclops posted:

Is it actually surrounded by a couch for sitting on or do those padded pieces serve some computing function

Yes.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

The best TMP is the Legacy cut.

As I always say when this comes up in threads, the best cut is the ABC-TV broadcast Special Longer Version. (Yes, I know you can see unfinished parts of the set--that just makes it better.)

But since it's not in HD it's not really a viable option anymore.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

Galaxy Quest would be a good choice, though that's just the one movie.

I think Stargate SG1 is a good recommendation, as others have said. Also, I know you said "less drama", but I feel like we'd be remiss to not at least mention Babylon 5. It's admittedly pretty drama-oriented, but it's also really good. The slow start could be an issue though.

If she's looking for some light-hearted sci-fi adventures, she might enjoy Dr. Who. I'd recommend starting with the series re-launch from 2006, with Christopher Eccleston. There's a lot of material there for her to watch if she gets into it, though I haven't been following the show for quite a while myself.

Sliders might also be worth a look, though the quality drops off after a while. It has a fun cast of characters and some interesting stories.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Seriously take 20 minutes out of your day, put on the good headphones, and watch this

As an enjoyer of TMP and Tron Legacy, I also enjoyed this.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Stargate SG-1, to be exact. Followed, if she really liked it, by Stargate: Atlantis.

There were no other Stargate shows.

I'd never watched any of it beyond the original film until recently. We're on season 10 of SG-1 and season 3 of Atlantis, so I will find out soon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like that Legacy cut. With about twenty more minutes of footage it would be a great episode. Really drives home how little happens in TMP.

Gonna re-iterate X Files if you haven't seen it. The first six seasons are like genre-defining good, even if there are some stinkers scattered throughout.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh my God, the journey is the destination

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

The Bloop posted:

seaQuest DSV

poo poo I knew I forgot something for the quarantine

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pick posted:

Oh my God, the journey is the destination

Sure, watching the garbage seasons of a show makes you appreciate the good seasons more, but that’s an insane amount of tv to subject yourself to just to get a marginal increase in your enjoyment of the good episodes. You can absolutely skip TNG S1 & S2 and still jump right into S3 without missing anything. Same with Enterprise S4 or the Doc/7 eps of Voyager.

The only Trek where “watch everything” is completely justified and recommended is DS9, and that’s just because there are so many threads that begin in the first season and get huge payoffs along the way. And even then, you can still skip poo poo like Old Man Yells at Cloud and Melora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I can't really endorse telling someone new to TNG to skip the first seasons though, because one of my friends did a rewatch a few years ago, after having gone like 10-15 years without seeing it, and she said she genuinely enjoyed the early episodes.

Like, telling someone to feel free to skip episodes, absolutely; and if they get a stretch of stinkers then maybe try skipping to the next season, sure. But not just straight-up "you're not missing anything" unless you really think you've got a bead on their tastes and preferences.

I mean, me personally, I find the first two seasons of TNG more watchable than the last two seasons.