Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Gooncrawl can have issues if you left a save sitting around and there's been enough updates since you last played(my favorite was one where my ancient character somehow loaded into a wall, with the game crashing immediately after). You'll probably have to email the server owner to delete the save.

If there isn't a save, then :iiam:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I figured it would be something like that, thanks.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I had that too, just ask in the discord

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What is the Discord address?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
got my 100th and 101st wins today back to back. at 3,735 games of crawl that puts me at a winrate of 2.70% :)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

What is the Discord address?

https://discord.gg/3JEyRYg

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Thanks for telling me how to get fixed up. I only really go for one victory a year, and I'm really bad at this game so it takes a month and a few dozen to a hundred splats before I earn it. I figured it would be a bit quicker this time, being stuck home and all, so I decided to roll a Formicid Archeologist first, and, well...

code:
2669285 ImbarsBidbib the Axe Maniac (level 27, 220/220 HPs)
             Began as a Formicid Archaeologist on Apr 15, 2020.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 5 runes!

The game lasted 03:26:25 (91800 turns).

ImbarsBidbib the Axe Maniac (FoAc)                 Turns: 91800, Time: 03:26:26

Health: 220/220    AC: 43    Str: 25    XL:     27
Magic:  29/29      EV: 18    Int: 17    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   2920       SH: 22    Dex: 13    Spells: 30/32 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis +   j - +11 executioner's axe "Demonbane" {freeze, +Rage +Fly rC- Dex+2}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   C - +1 large shield {reflect}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    +   c - +15 Maxwell's patent armour {-Tele rElec MR+ rCorr Clar}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   P - +2 cloak {MR+}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   i - +0 pair of gloves of the Original Sin {*Drain rF+ Int+3}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   L - +0 pair of boots of the Lair of Beasts {rN+ Regen+}
MR       ++++.     Clarity  +   u - amulet "Setaum" {Faith rPois rC+ Int+2 SInv}
Stlth    ..........             T - ring of Qikhluac {Wiz rF+ Str-4 Stlth+}
HPRegen  0.86/turn              D - ring "Taatuy" {*Slow +Fly rC+++ rN++}
MPRegen  0.21/turn
...it turns out getting Gimble and Gyre out of your box is really, really freaking good. You have it at mindelay literally out of the box, and it can easily carry you until you get your heavy weapons online.

The real reason I'm posting the morgue, besides the laughing at how great stasis is, is that axe and those boots. I figured I'd get a nice, clean 5-rune win, no need to mess with extended, then I style a bit by opening a trove on the orb run and grab a +11 freezing executioner axe. Then I die a little on the inside.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
So I've gotten pretty far with my MuFi of Gozag. Should I be spending my cash on weapon or armor shops at this point? My weapon is pretty good but it's got rF- and is 1h.

quote:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.25-a0-782-g655279c (webtiles) character file.

FacelessVoid the Mummy Blade (Mummy Fighter) Turns: 85900, Time: 06:44:54

Health: 194/194 AC: 39 Str: 36 XL: 22 Next: 94%
Magic: 26/26 EV: 7 Int: 9 God: Gozag
Gold: 2730 SH: 13 Dex: 17 Spells: 21/21 levels left

rFire . . . SeeInvis . O - +9 falchion of False Accusations {vorpal, +Blink +Fly rF- MR+++}
rCold + + + Gourm . N - +2 buckler "Epasulir" {rF+ rC+}
rNeg + + + Faith . x - +9 scales of the Dragon King {rPois rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois ∞ Spirit . k - +2 helmet of Inaction {rN+ Stlth+}
rElec . Reflect + a - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr . Harm . L - +0 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
MR +++++ I - +2 pair of boots of Devvyu {rPois Str+4 Dex+2 Slay+2}
Stlth .......... Q - +4 amulet of reflection
HPRegen 0.42/turn P - +5 ring of strength
MPRegen 0.20/turn z - +3 ring of slaying

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Weapons. The MR+++ is nice, but that falchion is a) rF- which is terrible on a Mu b) a falchion, so it has abysmal base damage. Once you've got a better weapon (a scimitar at least, though preferably a demon blade or double sword until you find more resistance sources to comfortably switch to a 2hander) then focus on jewellery.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Weapon shops, and also ctrl-f long blades to see what's laying around. You should absolutely be using something better than a falchion by now. The MR and +blink don't outweigh the fact that it's the literal lowest tier long blade(the rF- is just the cherry on the poo poo sundae).

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
Luckily I found a vampiric long sword and got it to +9 which served me pretty well. Too bad on V:5 I got banished to abyss 5. I haven't played in a couple of years but the abyss seems way harder that it used to be. I could not move anywhere without being surrounded. I just managed to get out with 10 hp and half my stats removed. But couldn't escape V:5 due to being slow and brainless. RIP.

quote:

539578 FacelessVoid the Mummy Blade (level 25, -6/214 HPs)
Began as a Mummy Fighter on Apr 14, 2020.
Was an Initiate of Gozag.
Mangled by a nagaraja
... wielding a +1 vorpal halberd
(13 damage)
... on level 5 of the Vaults on Apr 17, 2020.
The game lasted 07:53:14 (94914 turns).

FacelessVoid the Mummy Blade (Mummy Fighter) Turns: 94914, Time: 07:53:15

Health: -6/214 AC: 43 Str: 30 (37) XL: 25 Next: 21%
Magic: 27/27 EV: 6 Int: -4 (10) God: Gozag
Gold: 112 SH: 24 Dex: 11 (17) Spells: 24/24 levels left

rFire + . . SeeInvis . l - +9 long sword (vamp)
rCold + + + Gourm . m - +5 kite shield {rC+ rF+}
rNeg + + + Faith . x - +9 scales of the Dragon King {rPois rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois ∞ Spirit . k - +2 helmet of Inaction {rN+ Stlth+}
rElec . Reflect + a - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr . Harm . L - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
MR ++++. I - +2 pair of boots of Devvyu {rPois Str+4 Dex+2 Slay+2}
Stlth .......... Q - +4 amulet of reflection
HPRegen 0.45/turn P - +5 ring of strength
MPRegen 0.20/turn z - +3 ring of slaying

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FacelessVoid posted:

Luckily I found a vampiric long sword and got it to +9 which served me pretty well. Too bad on V:5 I got banished to abyss 5. I haven't played in a couple of years but the abyss seems way harder that it used to be. I could not move anywhere without being surrounded. I just managed to get out with 10 hp and half my stats removed. But couldn't escape V:5 due to being slow and brainless. RIP.

Longswords are only one step over falchions and you shouldn't have wasted all those enchant weapon scrolls on one. And you definitely should not have attempted v5 without a better weapon.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Just got a Naga Chei off the ground and finishing off the early game stuff. I've got Shoals and I assume that if I get hit by a mesmerise while there's multiple enemies around that can turn super deadly for me very quick and I need to spam slouch straight asap?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can also push Step from Time or read a teleport scroll.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Next up on the trunk dev's hit list, deflect missiles! Next up the entire charms school, probably.
Edit: Nevermind, it was actually controlled blink.
Double edit: Also hex wands?

Einwand fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 19, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

There are too many wands in the game, so I'm going to organize it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Einwand posted:

Next up on the trunk dev's hit list, deflect missiles! Next up the entire charms school, probably.
Edit: Nevermind, it was actually controlled blink.
Double edit: Also hex wands?

by 2022 trunk will be indistinguishable from pedit5 except for the better graphics

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

By 2022 in trunk you just press O and then it tells you if you win or lose based on the win rates for your race and class from previous versions.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the sole stated reasoning behind the wand removal being "there are too many wands in the game"

there are too many options in this game, but i guess they're fixing that

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

McGavin posted:

By 2022 in trunk you just press O and then it tells you if you win or lose based on the win rates for your race and class from previous versions.
By 2023 they've removed most of the races because there were too many options and the ones with the best win rates were no brainers anyway. You just click the play link and it tells you if you won or not.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Meanwhile in trunk 132 damage hell effects are "working as intended" while they tweak miscast damage numbers

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Maybe they ought to just remove melee while they're at it, given "its relative spammability and complete lack of permanent costs"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arzaac posted:

Maybe they ought to just remove melee while they're at it, given "its relative spammability and complete lack of permanent costs"

melee removed, too much of a no brainer, every character would want at least a little bit of melee ability

too many spells, they have now been organized: all spells have been removed except magic dart, which now automatically aims itself at the nearest enemy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

melee removed, too much of a no brainer, every character would want at least a little bit of melee ability

too many spells, they have now been organized: all spells have been removed except magic dart, which now automatically aims itself at the nearest enemy

come on now, that's not in keeping with the trunk philosophy

magic dart would target a random square on the screen to add strategic depth

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

magic lawn dart

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Is the elemental staff worth using as a main weapon? I found it on lair 1, but I already have a Demon Whip of Elec. Or should I even go for a great mace or something since I'm a Fo

https://pastebin.com/HS82G8Jg

E: Rupert dropped a +5 Exec Axe of Freezing

Reginald Bathwater fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 20, 2020

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
In the abstract, the elemental staff is a worthwhile stat stick, but uh, yeah, as a Formicid the Exec Axe is definitely the obvious choice now that you have that. :v:

I would say from my experience the elemental staff may not be an ideal weapon choice for the lategame, but it's fun and provides enough defensive flexibility to make up for its inoptimalness, at least for 3-rune. It's incredibly potent in the early to midgame, but as you fill out your armor set a more reliable weapon that isn't rolling random damage types becomes more desirable over time.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm running a Hill Orc and wanted to try the Orc God. Do I need to worry about my Orc Bros cutting heads off of hydras?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm running a Hill Orc and wanted to try the Orc God. Do I need to worry about my Orc Bros cutting heads off of hydras?

Yes (if they have weapons that can chop heads) but the hydra will kill them all quickly so it won't be too many extra heads.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

a flaming halberd is basically mandatory equipment for orc jesus so you can keep the heads under control

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
How does the orc follower thing work? I got some random reinforcements, including a priest, who then leveled into a named high priest before getting murdered by a wolf spider. I see there's an ability to give an item to a named follower--can all followers eventually level up to get a name? I had two knights with me for awhile--would they have gotten names eventually?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
That reminds me, when followers die do they drop the gear you gave them?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

A Strange Aeon posted:

How does the orc follower thing work? I got some random reinforcements, including a priest, who then leveled into a named high priest before getting murdered by a wolf spider. I see there's an ability to give an item to a named follower--can all followers eventually level up to get a name? I had two knights with me for awhile--would they have gotten names eventually?
Yes. Sometimes it takes a long time for orcs to get names though.

I would highly recommend giving orcs polearms, especially fast polearms like spears. Monsters aren't penalized as much as players for poking things from afar, not wanting to be right next to things to attack makes them position much less suicidally, and with polearms more of them can attack at once, especially in corridors. The reason you want fast weapons is because monster damage is mostly determined by the monster's base damage-they don't multiply the weapons base damage like a player does, instead they add their own base damage to the weapon's damage. So attacking more quickly allows big orcs like orc warlords to hit with their big baked in base damage stat more often. They'll do more damage on average on top of being more accurate and consistent. A group of orc warlords with spears/tridents/demon tridents shreds almost anything in the game very quickly.

Captainsalami posted:

That reminds me, when followers die do they drop the gear you gave them?
Yes.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Good to know. So I should just be holding on to good pole arms to hand over to my buddies once they get enough experience to earn a name.

I like the Orc God so far--the smite he grants is useful, though I have been training invocation to boost it, so a little less xp goes to the combat abilities.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is it possible to save and watch replays? As far as I understood .ttyrec files seems to be the replays and WebTiles version seems to save those automatically but how do you watch them?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I've used Jettyplay a few times. Opens ttyrec.bz2 as well. There's also some other things listed on the nethack wiki.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Is it possible to save and watch replays? As far as I understood .ttyrec files seems to be the replays and WebTiles version seems to save those automatically but how do you watch them?
I don't think there's an easy way to watch ttyrecs in Tiles. My understanding is that Tiles gets a lot of information from the game that ttyrecs don't capture (like what weapons enemies are wielding). It should be possible in principle to show at least where monsters are but not things like which monsters are in clouds, but I don't think anyone's made a nice way to do even that. If you can follow the game in console you can use FooTV:

1) open https://termcast.shalott.org/tv/ in a web browser and go to the FooTV channel (or TELNET to termcast.develz.org)
2) query Sequell on freenode IRC with the search string to find the game (plays the last several turns of the game) or milestones (things like picking up a rune, killing a unique, abandoning a god, entering a branch) and add -tv to the search

The listgame search format is described here but briefly

!lg playername -tv To watch the end of playername's most recently ended game
!lm playername -tv To watch the most recent milestone reached by playername
!lm playername -tv abyss.enter urune=0 To watch the last time playername got banished with no runes

There's a huge amount of specificity and if you are very bored you can e.g. !lg * god=chei urune>9 ktyp!=win cv>=0.20 -random -tv to watch randomly selected deaths of people worshipping Chei. Or deaths due directly to hell effects: !lg * kaux='the effects of hell' If you're having trouble finding what you want hop into ##crawl and describe what you want to watch and a wizard will tell you the correct formula.

You can watch in super speed or slow motion, or see more of a game, using modifiers to the -tv flag, like -tv:<2:x0.5 (start twice as many turns earlier and watch at half speed). See the FooTV section of the listgame readme for more on this.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 21, 2020

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Just going to start pushing into the Hells, Pandemonium and The Abyss for the first time as a Gnoll Skald of Chei in an attempt at my first 15 runer.

Is Necromutation worth taking to avoid picking up a shitload of negative mutations? When active it'd replace Statue Form which has done well for me so far.

Edit: https://pastebin.com/1guthCYf

Thinking I'll learn Necromutation, Controlled Blink and then not sure if there's any other spells worth picking up at the moment.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 22, 2020

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

If anyone is interested, I found a Korean wiki page for roguelikes along with the Dungeon Crawl page:

https://namu.wiki/w/%EB%8D%98%EC%A0%84%20%ED%81%AC%EB%A1%A4/%EA%B0%9C%EC%A1%B0%ED%8C%90

They even have some forks of their own! Even through Google Translate, the comments on why they made the forks seem very familiar...

Edit:
This Beogh rework on the DCSS+ fork looks neat!

Urug, the Eye of the Beogh

Orc Lich Nergalle

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Floodkiller posted:

If anyone is interested, I found a Korean wiki page for roguelikes along with the Dungeon Crawl page:

https://namu.wiki/w/%EB%8D%98%EC%A0%84%20%ED%81%AC%EB%A1%A4/%EA%B0%9C%EC%A1%B0%ED%8C%90

They even have some forks of their own! Even through Google Translate, the comments on why they made the forks seem very familiar...

Google Translate posted:

3.2. Domestic [edit]
There are quite a few users who do not like the development direction of the main fork, but sometimes they make a fork on their own in the Rogue-Like Gallery . The 'pension porridge' and 'additional porridge' that will be explained below are made by collecting opinions of gallums or reflecting the opinions of 'Tavern' on the main board, such as adding elements that ‘I want to add ~’ It's quite a different direction from that.

As of April 2020, a new fork is underway under the name Kimchijuk. See below.