Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Voted for Hammer Dracula. I love the first Tremors and what I've seen of the rest seem pretty entertaining as well but it's very hard to top the combined power of the Hammer aesthetic, Christopher Lee, and occasionally Peter Cushing. Horror of Dracula and Brides of Dracula are both really good and while the follow ups have diminishing returns I still can't help but find them very appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Tremors 5 is just chock-full of casual racism. I hated it, and Kennedy was worse than I thought he'd be. Only one left though so might as well finish the series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timeless Appeal posted:

^Remember Hannibal the show counts.^

I think it's important to remember: Tremors is a really good movie. Like it's a silly B-movie. But it has fun characters, cool monsters, but also a really good sense of geography. You always have a good sense of the town, where things are. It's this really important thing that you don't think about, but the film really hinges on it. It's a toss-up, but I went with Tremors with a "what would I want to throw on TV right now?" test.

Gonna flip a poo poo if the Universal Monsters get bested by Chucky or Jason though.

Also, campaigning hard that Evil Dead or Scream should beat Nightmare.

Voting for one movie is not really in the spirit of things. This is specifically about franchises. If this was a tag team wrestling match, Tremors would come out incredibly strong and then the minute the first one runs out of breath the entire team would get bodied.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Tremors 2 is at least good for a surprise chair to the back of some second rate Dracula.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

married but discreet posted:

Tremors 2 is at least good for a surprise chair to the back of some second rate Dracula.

Yeah, the one where Christopher Lee hated the script so much he refused to talk.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If I were to do this again i would have a council decide on the definitive movie of each franchise and run those against each other. Candyman would definitely fare better and Romeros oeuvre would absolutely suffer but it would make the conversation focus more on the films than on tje metrics used to judge them.

At the same time, I like that at least some people have either gone back and dug into those VHS stacks for rewatches or at least talked about their memories of lesser sequels.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Having just watched all the Paranormal Activity movies I gotta say, that franchise should've gone further. The first two are the weakest but by the time you get to the Ghost Dimension it's pretty good.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I mean honestly at that point you get into the discussion of just what is the best horror movie. Because Scream, The Exorcist, and Blair Witch become a lot stronger.

Lurdiak posted:

Voting for one movie is not really in the spirit of things. This is specifically about franchises. If this was a tag team wrestling match, Tremors would come out incredibly strong and then the minute the first one runs out of breath the entire team would get bodied.
Yeah, but it's not like the strength of a single movie can't buoy things. Like Scream is an incredibly consistent franchise compared to TCM, but that first movie gives a lot of weight that would make a match-up a no brainer. Inversely, I don't think Friday the 13th has a single movie as good as Child's Play 2, but I'd probably still side with Friday as a stronger franchise.

I think Hammer Dracula collectively as a franchise has a lot of good poo poo, but I do think it matters that it doesn't have a single film that's really as good as Tremors.

Also, Hammer films are really good Universal Monsters fan fiction while Tremors has an actually original monster. :colbert:

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Tremors 6 was passable for me, outside of the missed opportunity to have TREMORS IN SNOW (like the first scene, which was cool) due to cheap production it had some cute moments between characters (Val, the daughter of Bacon hugging Bert, girls checking out a guys dong, rear end in a top hat idiot characters getting their comeuppance) that worked in earlier films combined with the way better CGI monsters/this newer assblaster design that is pretty cool. I obviously would prefer the puppets but heyho. Plus there was not as much Kennedy or casual racism (perhaps advised not to have an Inuit try to kill a big worm with a pointy stick?) in this one. I read the new one is going to have Napoleon Dynamite hunting Tremors for sport so that might be cool. Why the gently caress did Burt change his cap from Arizona to Chicago, though

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shrecknet posted:

If I were to do this again i would have a council decide on the definitive movie of each franchise and run those against each other.

... you've never visited the Horror Thread, have you?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Its honestly just F13, I would venture every other franchise has a consensus best film (usually the first)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like at that stage we're verging into "Greatest Movie" which would be a fun tournament for another time and be very different since some movies like Exorcist, Night of the Living Dead, and Return would show out a lot of the more iconic franchises probably wouldn't. But thats why I think the "franchise" tag is fun because it speaks to an oeuvre of work that makes a bigger picture, something that is so uniquely surplus in horror. And its why I really don't care for the idea of reducing franchises to one film.

But you can't stop people from doing what they're gonna do.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Seriously, even just as a sidebar, let's do a ranked choice vote for the Friday series. Anonymous ballots, and we all have to live with the outcome whatever it may be.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, the one where Christopher Lee hated the script so much he refused to talk.

Is that Scars of Dracula?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

Is that Scars of Dracula?

It's Dracula: Prince of Darkness, which actually turned out to be one of the best of the sequels, at least in my opinion. But the whole idea of Lee being more of a seething monster who hardly speaks ended up being carried over to most of the other sequels too, it's not like he's particularly chatty in any of them. But Prince of Darkness is the one where he famously rejected all the scripted dialogue.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That ended up really working for me as Lee's Dracula really kind of felt more like a ferocious animal with a mask of something more dignified and noble. It was a different take I really liked.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

That ended up really working for me as Lee's Dracula really kind of felt more like a ferocious animal with a mask of something more dignified and noble. It was a different take I really liked.

Then when he does speak, you often get really memorable one liners like "Who has done this... thing" and "It was my will".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4doWCIfHqio

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

That's kind of how he played it from the start. Lee is a really good actor.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Its honestly just F13, I would venture every other franchise has a consensus best film (usually the first)
I think more often that's not the case than you'd think. Hellbound, Child's Play 2, Paranormal Activity 3, The Dream Warriors, and a bunch of Final Destination are all better than their respective original films. I feel like the consensus that Psycho II is actually good first emerged, there was a contingent of people going too far and arguing it's better than the first.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I love Dream Warriors but to say it's better than the original? I'm not sure I'd go that far.

Same with Child's Play 2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Paranormal Activity is especially notable because the first one is the second worst movie of the whole franchise

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarx posted:

I love Dream Warriors but to say it's better than the original? I'm not sure I'd go that far.

Same with Child's Play 2.

I think they're both better. I see them both as like the perfect incarnation of Freddy/Chucky and the characters were never quite as balanced between scary and funny again. And they each have some individual scenes that are just as good if not better than anything in the original.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I like Hellraiser 2, Ghoulies 2, Exorcist III, Final Destination 2/5, and Evil Dead II all more than the first entries in their series. I used to think TCM2 was better than the first but the last time I rewatched both I changed my mind.

e: oh poo poo forgot Gremlins 2 (although two films isn't really a franchise I guess)

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 20, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I am utterly irrational about everyone declaring Exorcist III better than Exorcist. Like I get why people feel that way but I'm just apoplectic about it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

I like Hellraiser 2, Ghoulies 2, Exorcist III, Final Destination 2/5, and Evil Dead II all more than the first entries in their series. I used to think TCM2 was better than the first but the last time I rewatched both I changed my mind.

e: oh poo poo forgot Gremlins 2 (although two films isn't really a franchise I guess)

The new 4k scan of TCM just makes it absolutely an amazing film experience. TCM2 is amazing, but TCM now is one of the best looking horror movies ever made.

Ghoulies 2, Hellraiser 2, Evil Dead 2, Final Destination 2, Nightmare on Elm Street 3, Friday the 13th 2, Critters 2, Leprechaun 2, Child's Play 2, Gremlins 2, Puppet Master 2, Bride of Frankenstein, The Devil's Rejects, Rob Zombie's Halloween 2, Saw 2, Dawn of the Dead are all better than their originals.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 20, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

The new 4k scan of TCM just makes it absolutely an amazing film experience. TCM2 is amazing, but TCM now is one of the best looking horror movies ever made.

Ghoulies 2, Hellraiser 2, Evil Dead 2, Final Destination 2, Nightmare on Elm Street 3, Friday the 13th 2, Critters 2, Leprechaun 2, Child's Play 2, Gremlins 2, Puppet Master 2, Bride of Frankenstein, The Devil's Rejects, Rob Zombie's Halloween 2, Saw 2, Dawn of the Dead are all better than their originals.

I wanted to refute a SINGLE one of these points but I cannot.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I never said the first movie was the best, only that there was usually consensus on which in the franchise was best

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I just watched Child’s Play 2 yesterday and I do not see what others see to make it better than the original.

The bones are there, as I will post in my review for it in the challenge thread, but overall I think the first is better.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

I never said the first movie was the best, only that there was usually consensus on which in the franchise was best

I don't think anyone is attacking your personal picks here or anything, they're disagreeing on the bit about consensus saying first film is usually best, which you did say:

Shrecknet posted:

I would venture every other franchise has a consensus best film (usually the first)

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I am utterly irrational about everyone declaring Exorcist III better than Exorcist. Like I get why people feel that way but I'm just apoplectic about it.

:same:

Three is the more accessible entry, but the original is definitely superior imo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

They're both really good.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

After watching all the Tremors sequels and the first Pumpkinhead sequel I voted against those series. Then I realised the real match-up of this round is actually Predator vs. Texas Chain Saw Massacre; I really like both original films and first sequels a fuckload. I ended up going for Predator as I couldn't get the image of Danny Glover chasing an alien across LA - whilst calling it a son of a bitch constantly - out of my mind. Glover was given so few chances to really go 100% and he is brilliant here. Predator/Predator 2 are the kind of action/sci-fi Hollywood has proven time and again isn't as easy to produce as these films make it seem. It'd be really easy to let the crap of Alien vs. Predator to overshadow just how great these films are, but then I guess the same can be said of the dross in the TCM series after 2. Outside of R. Lee Ermey those 2000 films are plain old vending machine horror content.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I was nodding my head at every beat until you got to Dawn of the Dead. And now I wanna fight.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

I was nodding my head at every beat until you got to Dawn of the Dead. And now I wanna fight.

There is no wrong answer among "Night/Dawn/Day is the best 'of the Dead'" films debate. It's all to taste.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Franchescanado posted:

Gotta strongly disagree with you on Hellraiser and Nightmare on Elm Street, but can't argue that otherwise.

edit: Posted a review in the wrong thread, disregard

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 21, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

There is no wrong answer among "Night/Dawn/Day is the best 'of the Dead'" films debate. It's all to taste.

As a gorehound kid I thought Day was trash - ugly costuming, flat sets and a pace somewhere south of snail-racing.

Thankfully I rewatched it and now I think it might be the best just on its methodical grinding down of the last survivors and how it just hates you so much

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
As a horror franchise I can't even compute Predator beating TCM.

Predator stops really being horror for most of its run. The first one is great. The second one is fun but bad. The rest are pretty weak and most of them are solidly just action movies.

TCM one is a master piece. TCM two is almost as good and finds a totally different ambience to explore. The rest fluctuate from decent to bad but fun to downright horrible in two cases, but they're still all horror movies through and through. And as far as the horror franchises rebooted around that time, I think TCM's reboot is one of the stronger ones, with R. Lee Ermey really bringing something fun to the franchise.

I don't know. I like both franchises but it seems pretty cut and dry if I'm trying to figure out which one is the better horror franchise.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Sarx posted:

As a horror franchise I can't even compute Predator beating TCM.

Predator stops really being horror for most of its run. The first one is great. The second one is fun but bad. The rest are pretty weak and most of them are solidly just action movies.

TCM one is a master piece. TCM two is almost as good and finds a totally different ambience to explore. The rest fluctuate from decent to bad but fun to downright horrible in two cases, but they're still all horror movies through and through. And as far as the horror franchises rebooted around that time, I think TCM's reboot is one of the stronger ones, with R. Lee Ermey really bringing something fun to the franchise.

I don't know. I like both franchises but it seems pretty cut and dry if I'm trying to figure out which one is the better horror franchise.

If Predator was up against the Lecter movies which ones would you say were more horror?

I get the gut reaction to TCM being the automatic pick but I hope the first two Predators at least get some thought and consideration. They're loving great.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Shrecknet posted:

As a gorehound kid I thought Day was trash - ugly costuming, flat sets and a pace somewhere south of snail-racing.

Thankfully I rewatched it and now I think it might be the best just on its methodical grinding down of the last survivors and how it just hates you so much

I think Day of the Dead is still my least favorite (of the original trilogy), but I still like it a whole lot and it's also been a decade since I watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm basically burning my way through the Predator series because the TCM sequels are so dour and poo poo after II that I'm looking for an excuse to vote against it.

Today I watch Alien vs Predator: Requiem and Texas Chainsaw 3D back to back.

For science.

Friends Are Evil posted:

I think Day of the Dead is still my least favorite (of the original trilogy), but I still like it a whole lot and it's also been a decade since I watched it.

Same. Its grown on me more over the years. I never liked it when I was younger but I think seeing Dawn and Land more I appreciate it more as Romero's stages of the downfall of society. Day's just in that part where people are all assholes and kind of unlikable and self destructive because they've been broken.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 21, 2020