Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Stickman posted:

Doesn't look like it's free to own permanently, but could be a nice gentle introduction if you're interested in picking up words for any of those languages!
Sounds like it is. The game is going free for those languages and all the others are DLC

quote:

Starting today, all three of these languages are being bundled into a new "Free Edition" and given away! This time it isn't just a promotional free weekend, it's a permanent ordeal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

exquisite tea posted:

I watched a 20-minute video about how Far Cry 2 was better because coconuts fall from the trees when you shoot them and now I'm convinced, this is the most important thing in a video game.

To be fair, the little things like that are quite nice to have. If it's this video then I think some features like the much more involved enemy AI treatment of wounded, their ability to play dead, being able to clear branches with gunfire, all that genuinely contributes to muh immersion while also having some palpable gameplay impact while also being way more memorable.

But those loving checkpoints.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

To be fair, the little things like that are quite nice to have. If it's this video then I think some features like the much more involved enemy AI treatment of wounded, their ability to play dead, being able to clear branches with gunfire, all that genuinely contributes to muh immersion while also having some palpable gameplay impact while also being way more memorable.

Little details are so nice. I'm thinking of how interact-able everything in Dead Rising's mall was. I ultimately did not click with that game, but drat if I don't appreciate how cool that mall is. You can pick and mess with EVERYTHING.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stickman posted:

The "learn French/Italian/Korean" version of Influent is now free while people are stuck at home. Doesn't look like it's free to own permanently, but could be a nice gentle introduction if you're interested in picking up words for any of those languages!

E: Sounds like it's less of a "learn _____" tool, and more vocabulary building.
I don't know if they've changed it (probably not) but Influent has some of the worst possible decisions for a vocabulary learning game.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Torquemadras posted:

Wow! That'd be super generous. If you want, you can just mail it to my throwaway address. I don't have PM, but this'll do. :D

Thanks a bunch!

Sent it over to your email now, enjoy!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Xander77 posted:

I don't know if they've changed it (probably not) but Influent has some of the worst possible decisions for a vocabulary learning game.

quote:

For instance, the "pot" part of a "potted plant" is translated as a "cooking pot".
Wow, yeah okay, that's some serious incompetence. That's the kind of thing you only do when you don't actually speak a language and are trying to translate it with a dictionary. I was thinking about working on my French a little, but that is not a useful learning tool.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 20, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

To be fair to Far Cry (as much as I despise the series), increasing graphical fidelity while decreasing actual interaction and the amount of mechanics in general has been a trend across basically all games for the past 10-15 years. Crowbcat has a bunch of videos showing this across many series, as do some other youtubers.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am mad at this thread for making me consider buying an asscreed game

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

K8.0 posted:

To be fair to Far Cry (as much as I despise the series), increasing graphical fidelity while decreasing actual interaction and the amount of mechanics in general has been a trend across basically all games for the past 10-15 years. Crowbcat has a bunch of videos showing this across many series, as do some other youtubers.

Yeah, it's perhaps my least favourite modern trend. I'm hoping Watch Dogs Legion has a lot of those little things since Clint Hocking's the director on that, and his track record's pretty great - heck, he's the guy behind Far Cry 2 and Chaos Theory. Although to be fair to GTA's decrease in interaction, a lot of the interactions with its physics engine were just a tad uncanny in GTA 4. I'm very much not the squeamish type, but the way people react to being shot in that game were slightly uncomfortable under close scrutiny.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Little details are so nice. I'm thinking of how interact-able everything in Dead Rising's mall was. I ultimately did not click with that game, but drat if I don't appreciate how cool that mall is. You can pick and mess with EVERYTHING.

Dead Rising 2 really upped the ante on that. You've already got interaction with nearly everything, now add in combining them together. If you ever want to go back to Dead Rising, do your first couple playthroughs as just a mess about free roam thing, completely ignore the existence of a plot. After enough time of just booting it up to have silly fun massacring zombies, dressing up and impromptu photoshoots, your stats and map knowledge get to a comfortable enough degree to actually play the game. It's a weird inverted curve.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

"eat the booty like groceries" is my only rear end creed

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Dave Angel posted:

Sent it over to your email now, enjoy!

You're a hero. Will enjoy!

I'm off now to feel stupid because of puzzles

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Awesome! posted:

I've got a Uplay key for Origins thats yours if you want it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Dead Rising 2 really upped the ante on that. You've already got interaction with nearly everything, now add in combining them together. If you ever want to go back to Dead Rising, do your first couple playthroughs as just a mess about free roam thing, completely ignore the existence of a plot.
It's how it's meant to be played, therefore the weird "scenario overlay" style save functionality. gently caress around at will, attempt to get through the plot as often and as much as you feel like. You aren't meant to (or really capable of) really tackling it on your first attempt. It's a really interesting and novel approach to timed gameplay that I found refreshing, but I can also see why it didn't really achieve any widespread popularity.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dead Rising 2 really upped the ante on that. You've already got interaction with nearly everything, now add in combining them together. If you ever want to go back to Dead Rising, do your first couple playthroughs as just a mess about free roam thing, completely ignore the existence of a plot. After enough time of just booting it up to have silly fun massacring zombies, dressing up and impromptu photoshoots, your stats and map knowledge get to a comfortable enough degree to actually play the game. It's a weird inverted curve.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's how it's meant to be played, therefore the weird "scenario overlay" style save functionality. gently caress around at will, attempt to get through the plot as often and as much as you feel like. You aren't meant to (or really capable of) really tackling it on your first attempt. It's a really interesting and novel approach to timed gameplay that I found refreshing, but I can also see why it didn't really achieve any widespread popularity.

Next time I'm in a zombie mood (currently I'm about burnt out on them - finished the book I was reading featuring them (it was great and had a happy ending), just about done playing State of Decay 2 for a while, etc - I will check out Dead Rising 2, see how it is. I put two hours into Dead Rising, enjoyed it, but it's not the kind of thing I want to work on mastering and learning, so to speak? Nothing bad about it, but I've got other games on my mind.

The groundhog day style loop is really novel and I wish more games would try it, as there's some real potential in there. I think the only games that do it are Majora's Mask, Dead Rising, and Shadow of Destiny/Memories (god I love that game)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Awesome! posted:

blame accepted! Seriously, AssCreed Origins and Odyssey are really stellar and I expect I will continue to post about them as I play them. They're really satisfying and pretty and blah blah have Bayek petting a cat

e: I will not triple-post, I will not!

The Crew 2 is on sale for 12$ on fanatical and that's the lowest I've ever seen it. If you can handle how weird the carfeel is, how difficult the AI is, and how it's stripped out the fun of exploring the map in exchange for adding boat and plane races, well, there you go. I wish I liked it because I like driving in open world games, but I do not, and my pining for Burnout Paradise 2 continues.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 20, 2020

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

bentacos posted:

I've got a Uplay key for Origins thats yours if you want it.

that is actually the one i was looking at, thanks. egypt is cool.

can email to theawesomesa@gmail if you want since you dont have pms

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Next time I'm in a zombie mood (currently I'm about burnt out on them - finished the book I was reading featuring them (it was great and had a happy ending), just about done playing State of Decay 2 for a while, etc - I will check out Dead Rising 2, see how it is. I put two hours into Dead Rising, enjoyed it, but it's not the kind of thing I want to work on mastering and learning, so to speak? Nothing bad about it, but I've got other games on my mind.
Understandable, it's a very special flavour of game. If you ever play Dead Rising 2, I personally recommend going with the Off The Record version of the game. It's basically a reimagining of the game with Frank West as the protagonist instead of the original DR2 protagonist. They even reimplement the photography game mechanic. I enjoyed it much more than Dour Motocross Person Guy edition.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

blah blah have Bayek petting a cat

pro tip: you can also pet and/or feed Senu

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Into the Breach got an update which added 9 additional UI languages support, an engine update, and small gameplay changes -- weapons are cheaper (no more weapon on sale vs others) to encourage experimentation.
https://twitter.com/subsetgames/status/1252233463161163786

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Awesome! posted:

that is actually the one i was looking at, thanks. egypt is cool.

can email to theawesomesa@gmail if you want since you dont have pms

Sent! Enjoy!

Orv
May 4, 2011
This game is still looking extremely rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usJFP0LHPC0

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

K8.0 posted:

Yeah and I absolutely hate this trend. Clever AI things, terrain destruction and interactivity has absolutely stagnated for over a decade now and in fact regressed in a lot of games. Think like Bad Company 2 there was nothing more :smug: feeling than steamrolling through a village and just leaving behind a burning rubble husk as you move onto the next point, DICE significantly treaded that back to the point of BF3/4 were virtually completely static outside of some scripted destruction, and it sucked. Hell even Red Faction had pretty neat proof-of-concept terrain destruction nearly 20 years ago that was better than most anyone has attempted since. I guess Control is kind of similar to RF and does some neat things but it's like largely 99% static and iirc non-permanent and regenerates next time you walk through. Why can't I just set a forest on fire in FC4 and let it burn and stay burnt? Why can't I blow up some roadside shacks? RAM, hard drive space, and all that poo poo is super cheap and bountiful these days, a slightly larger save file doesn't mean much.

Graphic fidelity is pretty much at it's relative limitation for hardware power with not much reward for a lot more budget to produce incremental improvements. There's some fuckery like RTX which kind of helps but it's still just a few around-the-perimeter tweaks. Like it seems a no brainer to instead focus efforts on engine deformations, interactions and little details, some more clever AI-y stuff (without resorting to wallhacks-type) and stuff like that as a way to improve things.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 20, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Xaris posted:

Why can't I just set a forest on fire in FC4 and let it burn and stay burnt? Why can't I blow up some roadside shacks? RAM, hard drive space, and all that poo poo is super cheap and bountiful these days, a slightly larger save file doesn't mean much.
Consoles and the excuse of consoles.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

bentacos posted:

Sent! Enjoy!

thanks! downloading while im at work :ssh:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I was really wowed when I called a summon in Final Fantasy XV and it razed the entire forest I was fighting in, but then it turned out that they just applied a “smoldering embers” texture to all the trees and when it faded in thirty seconds or so the forest was all pristine again.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

I was really wowed when I called a summon in Final Fantasy XV and it razed the entire forest I was fighting in, but then it turned out that they just applied a “smoldering embers” texture to all the trees and when it faded in thirty seconds or so the forest was all pristine again.

Ramuh works in mysterious ways.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mmm, I think my least favorite things about XCOM 2 are these:

- the instability of the program. Even years after release it's still prone to running poorly or soft-locking. Just now I tried to start a mission and it crashed so hard that it closed XCOM, steam, and discord. I think it had the help of Windows 10 trying to silently install drivers in the background, but jesus.

- the strategy layer. This is a more complex problem because there are parts about it that I enjoy, but mostly I don't like how it makes me feel like I'm making choices in the dark that could lead to my game ending despite good performance in the tactical layer. It's frustrating and perhaps later I'll make a longer post in the XCOM thread about it.

Anyways, now that steam's back up it's age of wonders time. Paradox may have their problems but at least they make games that don't like to freeze on me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen is a good enough game that I’m not even that pissed off that it somehow managed to crash hard enough right before the final mission that not only could I not recover my save, I can’t even launch the game anymore off a clean reinstall. I guess I could try again now that I’m on a new machine.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

- the strategy layer. This is a more complex problem because there are parts about it that I enjoy, but mostly I don't like how it makes me feel like I'm making choices in the dark that could lead to my game ending despite good performance in the tactical layer. It's frustrating and perhaps later I'll make a longer post in the XCOM thread about it.

As long as the Avatar Project isn't going to max out, even if it stays hovering at 90%, you're doing well. That's the only real concern. You have a lot fewer plates to spin than it seems.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, the Avatar Project is something of a paper tiger. It moves really fast early on, but that slows down, and you gain access to ways to reset it a few notches.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Wow, that's terrible. "Learn to speak like someone who learned the language from Google Translate!"

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So I've got a game that won't run, just crashes on load. I can't refund it because I purchased it more than 2 weeks ago. Devs didn't respond to my post in the forums. And I can't give it a bad review because I can't put time in it. Does that about sum up my lack of options?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

bamhand posted:

So I've got a game that won't run, just crashes on load. I can't refund it because I purchased it more than 2 weeks ago. Devs didn't respond to my post in the forums. And I can't give it a bad review because I can't put time in it. Does that about sum up my lack of options?

You can try to refund it, Steam will do "courtesy" refunds and you're more likely to get one for technical issues but it's not guaranteed. The worst they can do is say no.
What game is it? Maybe somebody else had the same issue and fixed it.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 21, 2020

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Game is Fallback. I already tried a refund saying it doesn't run but they said they won't do it because it's outside the 2 week window.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

bamhand posted:

Game is Fallback. I already tried a refund saying it doesn't run but they said they won't do it because it's outside the 2 week window.

In my experience if you keep sending the refund over and over they usually cave (or someone processes it without checking the purchase date). I didn't even have a legitimate reason outside of disliking the game, I imagine someone will be sympathetic to technical issues.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

You can keep trying and hope you get a Valve employee that actually reads your ticket but if they continue rejecting it you're basically screwed. Don't do a chargeback or they will lock your account out of adding keys and purchasing and ban your payment method.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Understandable, it's a very special flavour of game. If you ever play Dead Rising 2, I personally recommend going with the Off The Record version of the game. It's basically a reimagining of the game with Frank West as the protagonist instead of the original DR2 protagonist. They even reimplement the photography game mechanic. I enjoyed it much more than Dour Motocross Person Guy edition.

Counterpoint: The survivor AI isn't suicidal in Dead Rising 2, then Capcom decided to gently caress it all up in Off the Record.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

bamhand posted:

Anyway it looks like Fallback has a Discord here: "BIG NEWS! We have a discord! Join us and chat about our oncoming game Fallback! https://discord.gg/tp3FbPk"
It looks like the Devs are active on there so hopefully they can help you.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 21, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StrixNebulosa posted:

The groundhog day style loop is really novel and I wish more games would try it, as there's some real potential in there. I think the only games that do it are Majora's Mask, Dead Rising, and Shadow of Destiny/Memories (god I love that game)

Outer Wilds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Crew 2 is on sale for 12$ on fanatical and that's the lowest I've ever seen it. If you can handle how weird the carfeel is, how difficult the AI is, and how it's stripped out the fun of exploring the map in exchange for adding boat and plane races, well, there you go. I wish I liked it because I like driving in open world games, but I do not, and my pining for Burnout Paradise 2 continues.

Every time I think of racing games I think "I should pick up Forza" and then I remember it's only on the Microsoft Store and it's CRAZY EXPENSIVE here like the base edition is more expensive than Doom Eternal

I just wanna make pretty car go vroom :(