Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The episode was, arguably, pro communism what with the merpeople ultimately deciding they don't need a leader and that it's better to work together as a group to rebuild society.

I don't think that was intentional on the part of the writers though, or that you should base your political views entirely on cartoons about talking ducks.

gently caress you! I’ll never abandon my quest to be the real life version of Flintheart Glomgold. CURSE YOU, INTERNET FORUMS!!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you're an absolutely awful golfer, you're already part of the way there!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Tubgoat posted:

Didn't Webby stowaway into a SHUSH mission in a previous episode, wherein she demonstrated tactical prowess etc, as attempts were clearly made upon her life?? Be pretty hard to believe everyone is good as someone's trying to kill you.

They didn't convey it well, but Webby's problem isn't believing that everyone is good, it's believing that all apparently good people are all good. In the first season, Lena was clearly up to all kinds of shady poo poo but Webby completely trusted her despite all that because friendship. Now, granted that actually worked out with Lena actually becoming her best friend and turning against Magica.

Webby is fine with obvious villains, but she's obviously extremely vulnerable to those with even a modicum of subtlety or charm.

I agree with the idea that Webby is the child of FOWL agents that Beakley probably got arrested and who are in prison (until they inevitably escape). Having Beakley killing Webby's parents and then raising her would probably be a little too dark for this show. Having Webby learn that she's a "spawn of evil" would be just dark enough, though, I think.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

nine-gear crow posted:

CURSE YOU, INTERNET FORUMS!!! :argh:

I read this in his voice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

nine-gear crow posted:

gently caress you! I’ll never abandon my quest to be the real life version of Flintheart Glomgold. CURSE YOU, INTERNET FORUMS!!! :argh:

I'll never abandon my quest either! To be Johnny from Ottoman empire. I just need to convince my brother to take upholstery classes with me

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to seeing him again as well. I bet he's going to be even more insufferable now that he literally helped save the world last season.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to seeing him again as well. I bet he's going to be even more insufferable now that he literally helped save the world last season.

Glomgold is gonna use this as leverage to get recruited into FOWL in an attempt to destroy Scrooge only to inadvertently undermine FOWL and save the world again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think FOWL is probably well aware of Glomgold and keeps far away from him. It does seem like they prefer at least a minimum level of competence in their agents (and Steelbeak is on thin ice) and I think that episode's ending was to establish how they work; that they actually stay away from overt Bond villainy and super-science and prefer to fly under the radar and steal poo poo without being noticed. That their high command is Scrooge's own board of directors is probably saying a lot. (and I bet they make sure that Scrooge dislikes them so he doesn't take more of a interest in them than necessary and notice something fishy) Gandra Dee might have been seeing if she could recruit Mark Beaks, but he's clearly too much of an egotistical idiot for FOWL.

Should be noted that about every FOWL member we've seen is someone who has shown at least some capability for subterfuge; Black Heron kept an isolated island base to keep her projects a secret, Rockerduck made sure to cultivate a generous reputation so people didn't even realise they'd been swindled, Gandra Dee at least appears to be a reluctant villain (and most of her equipment seems very useful for a spy) and the Phantom Blot probably goes without saying. Glomgold's alliance was mostly villains who are almost incapable of subtlety, with only Beaks even considering his reputation a priority and Don Karnage being a literal singing sky pirate.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Here she is, in video form

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, interesting that they’re introducing her as a new character as opposed to someone Donald already knew. Is that still Tress doing the voice?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's really cute that this is Donald and Daisy meeting for the first time? I wasn't sure how they were going to explain him and her having a thing when she's never been around in the show so far, but this is a good way to do it. I can imagine we'll see more of her in the future too!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like all that setup only for Donald to be basically be like

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I feel like anticlimax is something of a generational trait of the creative millennials who make up most of the writing staff.

Building up to nothing just seems like how stories are written now

Edit: come to think of it, one punch man is exactly that

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ikanreed posted:

I feel like anticlimax is something of a generational trait of the creative millennials who make up most of the writing staff.

Building up to nothing just seems like how stories are written now

Edit: come to think of it, one punch man is exactly that

An internalized cultural consequence of living in a continual state of disappointment for at this point literally half their lives :v:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Was that Bebe Neuwirth?!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, is Tress MacNeille still voicing Daisy? It sort of sounded like her but I’m not entirely sure.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, is Tress MacNeille still voicing Daisy? It sort of sounded like her but I’m not entirely sure.

Yup, that's her.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Was that Bebe Neuwirth?!

Also yes.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've been watching the original DuckTales and Beakley just free dived into shark infested waters to save Scrooge. She's always had some backbone.

Also, Megavolt has become my favourite Darkwing antagonist, by a large margin. He's just so earnest in his insanity.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Half the fun of this show (which is still a significant amount of fun) is trying to recognize who is playing voices in a guest role. Jason Mantzoukas as Steelbeak is inspired casting, and Retta as the Harp was wonderful. This really is becoming one of the best TV shows of the last 15 years.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I'm watching people get their Goof Troop and Rescue Rangers nostalgia on, and I'm just sitting here waiting for the Talespin episode. That was my jam.

I know we'll be seeing adult Kit and Molly, but I really want flashbacks to maybe a younger Scrooge (or younger Beakley?) taking on Shere Khan with the help of Baloo and Rebecca and Louie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I love Daisy and I'm so happy she's finally on this show.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Donald has been so beaten down by life that he won't even let himself momentarily fantasize about something nice. His entire existence up until this point has been a constant stream of suffering and humiliation, dreaming of better things only brings more pain so why bother?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Donald has been so beaten down by life that he won't even let himself momentarily fantasize about something nice. His entire existence up until this point has been a constant stream of suffering and humiliation, dreaming of better things only brings more pain so why bother?

Yeah the one time he allowed himself to even wish for something other than constant danger and turmoil just led to another dangerous adventure that nearly killed his family.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pakled posted:

Yeah the one time he allowed himself to even wish for something other than constant danger and turmoil just led to another dangerous adventure that nearly killed his family.

I will admit that I'm looking forward to Daisy eventually seeing Donald's "I am the storm" side.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MichiganCubbie posted:

I'm watching people get their Goof Troop and Rescue Rangers nostalgia on, and I'm just sitting here waiting for the Talespin episode. That was my jam.

I know we'll be seeing adult Kit and Molly, but I really want flashbacks to maybe a younger Scrooge (or younger Beakley?) taking on Shere Khan with the help of Baloo and Rebecca and Louie.

I would totally be in for this, except that Tony Jay is dead.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Some Numbers posted:

I would totally be in for this, except that Tony Jay is dead.

Get the guy who played Megabyte in the recent Reboot thing. That thing was awful, but he was pretty good.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

:neckbeard: caballeros are back :neckbeard:

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Bleck posted:

Get the guy who played Megabyte in the recent Reboot thing. That thing was awful, but he was pretty good.

There was a recent ReBoot thing?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Corey Burton can do a perfectly fine Tony Jay and he's on the Disney payroll. If they really wanted a soundalike, they'd get him.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Corey Burton owns, he does such a good Christopher Lee that even Christopher Lee was like "why shell out the money for me when this guy does the job just as well?"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Adder Moray posted:

Yup, it was partially live action* and it was terrible

*when will people realize that mixing styles rarely ever works well, Code Lyoko and Xiaolin Showdown both tried this as well in their reboots and it just didn't work at all

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Adder Moray posted:

There's a live-action CG hybrid series on Netflix where a bunch of high school teens enter the cyber world to fight evil or something. Reviews place it somewhere between 'mediocre' and 'grotesque'.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Xiaolin Showdown

Wait what? Xiaolin Showdown had live action? In the sequel that was all weird?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

drrockso20 posted:

Yup, it was partially live action* and it was terrible

*when will people realize that mixing styles rarely ever works well, Code Lyoko and Xiaolin Showdown both tried this as well in their reboots and it just didn't work at all

There was a Code Lyoko reboot?

There was a Xiaolin Showdown reboot?????

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait what? Xiaolin Showdown had live action? In the sequel that was all weird?

Nah it had CGI for the actual Showdowns, I meant media mixing in general

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There was a Code Lyoko reboot?

There was a Xiaolin Showdown reboot?????

Well both were technically continuations, but the former was unnecessary and bad, while the latter changed a lot things for weird copyright reasons and was also incredibly awful

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I will say that sometimes medium mixing can work (Looking at you, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?), but it's something that takes a lot of care and talent to do well without being jarring.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I will say that sometimes medium mixing can work (Looking at you, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?), but it's something that takes a lot of care and talent to do well without being jarring.

I was going to say that it can work on a theatrical budget, but on a TV budget it's almost always a bad idea, similarly I'm of the opinion that using CGI for a TV show that's action oriented is almost always an incredibly bad idea

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I liked this latest episode well enough. Mervana and its people made me think of Tra-La-La, especially with Scrooge having trouble fitting in with their lifestyle. One thing confused me though. Is Mervana supposed to be an ancient long-lost city? Because if it is, and all the Mervanans have lived underwater all this time, then it's weird that only the king had ended up turning into a monster.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
At least Code Lyoko had preceden for mixing media, with it's real world = animated, computer world = CG thing going on.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Elfface posted:

At least Code Lyoko had preceden for mixing media, with it's real world = animated, computer world = CG thing going on.

Honestly even that was a mistake in my opinion, as it really hampers the action stuff in Lyoko, like the first season of that show is basically unwatchable due to how bad the fight scenes are, and even when they get better at it in later seasons it never really gets better than average, would have worked much better if the Lyoko parts were also 2D animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQXYBvtT_Hc

New preview.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 25, 2020