Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Blistex posted:

I was expecting a million-candle vigil or homemade flamethrower riots when that happened.

From what I have seen of Korean women, (maybe I was just hanging around with extra-awesome ladies) they hold their own when it comes to alcohol consumption when the men are not around.

the same can be said of japanese obasans, they drink bigger than their salaryman husbands and instead of passing out on the train and coming to in the terminal station they wake up early and clean everything up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

LMAO. drat good pun

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Blistex posted:

It's no longer the Korea we know and love man. . . <pours a bottle of Chamisul on the ground>

For real? I had heard some other things, that Korea today just ain't the same nonstop party we all loved in our 20s anymore. And, that makes me sad :(

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: old korean ladies and alcohol.

That was one of teh reasons I love Ajummas. Women in Korea get to a certain age, and think "I have done all that socety has asked of me. I worked hard, I kept my head down, I raised my kids etc. Now gently caress it! It's my time.", and get a bunch of their mates sit on a park bench sharing a couple of bottles of soju, playing go-stop and cackle like witches. And whilst I don't know much about old ladies in the city, out in the countryside, these bitches are tough. I have been litterally elbowed out of the last seat on a bus by an ajumma who then sat down, looked up at me and smiled. Daring me do/say something.

Surprisingly enough, these were the people in Korea who were/are frendliest to me. I think it is because I am the "nice young man" who is always polite, and tries to practice my Korean with them. As well as the bus-shoving incident, I also had a group of ajummas at the train station offer me some sweet rice cake thingos out of nowhere, and when they found out I was unmarried, pointedly say that their 30 year old granddaughter was unmarried too, hint hint.

And this is a while back, but re Chinese cashless payments etc.

Not commenting on the mew bitcoin-with-Chinese-Characteristics.

But it always seemed weird to me that China doesn't brag louder about wepay and alipay. Because both of those were in common use in China years before it seeped into "the west". And it is a legitimately impressive thing to do to implement a system that is both widely used and generally runs smoothly in a population as big as China. And it is used from the dumpling cart on the street in a small town to a 5 star hotel in Beijing. They would be justified in bragging about this, but instead they choose to crow about the hospitals built in 3 days, or the biggest radar dish that is unmanned coz no scientists will work there etc. rather than point to an actually impressive accomplishment.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Soju is the worst liquor. I'd honestly rather drink er guo tou; at least that has some kick to it. Soju is just watered down vodka with a packet of sweet 'n low mixed in. Maybe some good authentic stuff exists but I've never seen it.

The real shame is that just across the pond Japan is busy enjoying sake, the best liquor. Korea obviously knows this but they will never admit it and will continue to drink crap rear end soju out of nationalistic spite.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Devils Affricate posted:

The real shame is that just across the pond Japan is busy enjoying sake, the best liquor.

i would bet 2L of $10 sake that soju is no worse than sake that's $10 for 2L

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, if you're paying 80000 krw / 400ml for a deec quality, soju will be fine

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 22, 2020

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I love it when this thread veers into drink reviews/stories.

Have any of the goons who have spent time in Japan tried any of the canned Suntory highballs? I was wondering if they were any good. I'm not talking about chu-hi--I sampled every flavor I could find when I lived there--but specifically the whiskey sodas in a can.

It's hard to find reviews for all the different kinds there are. On youtube, there's like two videos of expats sipping from the can and saying, "It's good." without describing it at all.

Also, what is/was your favorite Japanese beer?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The worst soju I ever had was a $100 bottle of Andong stuff my friend got as a gift from his boss. It was the bottle he kept around the house to trick people into drinking. In the top five on my foul Korean alcohol experiences.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

The worst soju I ever had was a $100 bottle of Andong stuff my friend got as a gift from his boss. It was the bottle he kept around the house to trick people into drinking. In the top five on my foul Korean alcohol experiences.

quote:

for a deec quality

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Escape Addict posted:

Have any of the goons who have spent time in Japan tried any of the canned Suntory highballs? I was wondering if they were any good. I'm not talking about chu-hi--I sampled every flavor I could find when I lived there--but specifically the whiskey sodas in a can.

It's hard to find reviews for all the different kinds there are. On youtube, there's like two videos of expats sipping from the can and saying, "It's good." without describing it at all.

I have never tried those so I cannot comment. Chuhai is the best and that's my usual jam when I'm in Japan, since it's not easy to find elsewhere. And Strong Zero. Last summer I was there I was slamming all the super lemon strong zero/chuhai type drinks that seemed to be the trend.

Japanese beer, if we're talking macrobrews you can get everywhere my favorite is Yebisu. I got a can of all the basic majors one day and did a taste test. Yebisu > Kirin > Asahi (outside Japan, swap Asahi and Kirin's places) > Sapporo > Suntory > Orion. They're not super different from one another other than Yebisu.

Sake's what I drink the most of though. I drink a lot on vacation. Being in the sake brewing areas in winter is great, you can walk into basically any brewery and drink a bunch of samples for 500 yen. If you're somewhere like Nara that has a dozen breweries in a single district it's a good time.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 22, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Escape Addict posted:

im gonna level with you japan is bad at highballs. like if you really REALLY want, you can try. but if it comes in a can and you bought it at a convenience store or a vending machine, it isn't going to impress. the first can is always the most flavourful

i wouldnt go by the word of expats americans are stereotyped for putting away a dozen strong zeros a night because they actually LIKE it

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

Kirin > Asahi (outside Japan, swap Asahi and Kirin's places)

This is interesting to me. When I was in Japan, I remember liking Kirin Original, and then in America I tried Kirin Ichiban and it kinda sucked. So I'm with you on that one.

But is Asahi in America better? I've had Asahi Super Dry in America and I liked it--a good refreshing macro brew. But is the Asahi in Japan worse? I would've thought they'd be the same.

I've had that awful no-malt Asahi brewed from beans or peas or whatever and yeah that stuff is really bad.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Escape Addict posted:

But is Asahi in America better? I've had Asahi Super Dry in America and I liked it--a good refreshing macro brew. But is the Asahi in Japan worse? I would've thought they'd be the same.

I think Asahi in Japan is better, it's more that Kirin in Japan is a lot better than it is outside.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Maybe I'm being super pretentious, but I have never had an Asian beer that was actually "good", just "good for Asia". There is absolutely nothing that stands out in my mind because the best I've had is still only ok.

Michigan microbrews maybe spoiled me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's a lot of really good craft beers but that's true most places. Chengdu had a bunch of great local ones.

For the big generic beers, no, none of them are great. Japan's are a lot better than Korea's or China's, but that's not saying a lot.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Grand Fromage posted:

I drink a lot on vacation.

Are we related?

TBF I also drink a lot when I'm not on vacation.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BrainDance posted:

Maybe I'm being super pretentious, but I have never had an Asian beer that was actually "good", just "good for Asia". There is absolutely nothing that stands out in my mind because the best I've had is still only ok.

The beers you drank in Asia were basically the Coors/Bud/whatever watered down mainstream beer equivalent you would find end up drinking as a semi-clueless tourist coming to the US. The Korean/Japanese microbrew industry is nowhere near the US (really nowhere is), but there are a lot of gems that you can find if you're lucky or know where to go. Also, OB literally makes me puke. Like before I finish the last sip of the first bottle I have to puke. It took me about 5 instances before I figured this out as I assumed it was because I was already loaded, or blamed it on street food. I think the brewers have created the perfect blend of ingredients to tickle my gag reflex.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nucken Futz posted:

TBF I also drink a lot when I'm not on vacation.

:same:

But on vacation, no rules. 10 AM and I'm at a distillery slamming whisky.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Blistex posted:

The beers you drank in Asia were basically the Coors/Bud/whatever watered down mainstream beer equivalent you would find end up drinking as a semi-clueless tourist coming to the US. The Korean/Japanese microbrew industry is nowhere near the US (really nowhere is), but there are a lot of gems that you can find if you're lucky or know where to go. Also, OB literally makes me puke. Like before I finish the last sip of the first bottle I have to puke. It took me about 5 instances before I figured this out as I assumed it was because I was already loaded, or blamed it on street food. I think the brewers have created the perfect blend of ingredients to tickle my gag reflex.

That's fair, I never really went out looking for really good microbrews in Asia or anything (though also to be fair it's not like you have to even do that in America, at least in a good state, the dope rear end microbrews are right next to the poo poo beer).

Was just no reason to when makgeolli was there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

chuhais are great, but you need to get them freshly made and not from a can.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

i would bet 2L of $10 sake that soju is no worse than sake that's $10 for 2L

I will GLADLY chug a 2L sho chiku bai instead of any amount of chamisul. No contest. Hell, gimme a carafe of the mystery hot sake that's been boiling in the back of the kitchen for 5 hours. poo poo's like goddamn ambrosia compared to soju.

BrainDance posted:

Give Yebisu a try. It's still a lager, but it's pretty drat good.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Yeah idk in china and hk and japan I've had plenty of good beer, it just comes from smaller places.

the mass market poo poo is p bad overall but I'd rank it japan >>>> china > korea only cuz while chinese stuff such as snow is basically like drinking water, hite and cass are actually just bad to drink.

also there are some labels of Qingdao that are fine and on the same level as an Asahi or kirin or whatever, but the baseline in japan is definitely higher. I actually like hitachino a good deal but idk if they count as a microbrew.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Escape Addict posted:

Have any of the goons who have spent time in Japan tried any of the canned Suntory highballs? I was wondering if they were any good.

My friend in Japan swears by them, I can't comment personally though because I drink nothing but Asahi when I'm there and I have no idea why other than being really basic

e: Asahi in Japan is way better than whatever the hell goes in those bottles here in the US

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
for a while, beer was the last industrial product that north korea was better at

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bit offtopic but I'm curious if there's anywhere that has good mass market beer. I'd guess Germany/Germanic-cultural regions would be a given based on the stereotype. Maybe Egypt?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I think America might get it on a technicality because so many microbrews get bought out by big breweries.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Chinese soft power looking as good as ever.

China's coronavirus aid to Syria fits inside just two cardboard boxes

quote:

A coronavirus aid delivery from China arrived in Damascus on Wednesday after an outbreak of the disease in Syria which many fear will have a devastating impact on the country's struggling healthcare sector.

But the photo of the aid delivery left many Syrians severely disappointed with their long-time ally.

Syrian and Chinese officials, all wearing face masks, were pictured at the ceremony that marked the arrival of the supplies standing awkwardly on the tarmac around two cardboard boxes.

lol

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
When you knowingly lie down with dogs, you can't complain about the fleas.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

d0s posted:

My friend in Japan swears by them, I can't comment personally though because I drink nothing but Asahi when I'm there and I have no idea why other than being really basic

e: Asahi in Japan is way better than whatever the hell goes in those bottles here in the US

If you can stand more than 1 (one) Asahi without it being ice-cold to the point you can't really taste it then congrats! You can save money by mixing some vodka with a handful of water out of the gutter; it will get you drunk, taste better, and be cheaper

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

LimburgLimbo posted:

If you can stand more than 1 (one) Asahi without it being ice-cold to the point you can't really taste it then congrats! You can save money by mixing some vodka with a handful of water out of the gutter; it will get you drunk, taste better, and be cheaper

Are they that bad? I remember finding a canned whisky mizuwari in a vending machine 10% alcohol that was predictably pretty terrible, but I figured the canned highballs at least had carbonated water and lemon to make them more palatable.

I do recall Yebisu being pretty great for a lager, but I tried it in Little Tokyo, LA. No idea if it's better in Japan. I read that Yebisu brews their beer according to strict German standards, so they're a cut above what you'd normally find in Asia.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Porfiriato posted:

Chinese soft power looking as good as ever.

Meanwhile...

quote:

Despite being locked out of the World Health Organization (WHO) due to the objections of China, which considers the island merely a Chinese province, Taiwan has been keen to demonstrate it is a responsible member of the international community.

Taiwan is in the process of donating 16 million masks to countries hardest hit by the virus, including the United States and Europe, under the slogan "Taiwan can help and Taiwan is helping".

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:lol::lol::lol:

They look like a typical beat up box on an international airport baggage carousel mainlanders tend to have. Maybe they should have taken the photo before spraying it with disinfectant so it doesn't look soiled.

"Disappointed", I didn't know Syrians were into British level understatements.

TAIWAN #1

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ganguro King posted:

Meanwhile...

taiwan number one
china number 占点点点

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Qingdao IPA isn't bad, if kept well.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

McSpanky posted:

Bit offtopic but I'm curious if there's anywhere that has good mass market beer. I'd guess Germany/Germanic-cultural regions would be a given based on the stereotype. Maybe Egypt?

Here in Germany there are many decent beers wildly available that you could call mass market, Belgium and Czech Republik are also pretty good generally in my experience.

Literally lolled at Egypt tho, seeing as it's a Muslim country they have literally 3 beers in their official drinking stores (called drinkies), which are Stella (drinkable if not great) and some funky beers that go up to 15% alcohol content which are absolutely vile and we couldn't get down at all.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Son of Rodney posted:

Here in Germany there are many decent beers wildly available that you could call mass market, Belgium and Czech Republik are also pretty good generally in my experience.

Literally lolled at Egypt tho, seeing as it's a Muslim country they have literally 3 beers in their official drinking stores (called drinkies), which are Stella (drinkable if not great) and some funky beers that go up to 15% alcohol content which are absolutely vile and we couldn't get down at all.

:doh: Of course, I was thinking about their (ancient) history and totally forgot about the Muslim alcohol prohibition.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

taiwan number one
china number 占点点点

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN0vUlljX0I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On a personal note ever so slightly related to the Chinese aid delivery to Syria:

As I will be flying home in a month or so, I went top the post office to post some of my clothes and poo poo, to save money on airlines charging for extra baggage etc. in boxes about the size of the ones containing one governments contribution to another.

Well at the post office I was told that Korea Post aren't flying post internationally right now, and nor can I send it via sea mail. When I asked what I could do, the lady at the desk said I should try UPS or FedEx. Neither of which my little town has. So at some stage in the next two weeks, I will be taking a multi hour trip on an intercity bus carrying two large cardboard boxes wrapped in masking tape containing old clothes and random personal effects. Fun times.

Oh, I haven't yet bought my ticket home, (I will in the next week or so), and it looks like it will cost me at least $500 more than I was expecting, and will probably have 2 or 3 stops in random airports.