Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On one hand, 91 octane limit is communism
on the other hand, 91 octane limit is tyrannical government overreach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

fyallm posted:

Ew, non vPower 93?

the CCA was running that bit on insta last year about Shell gas and and and

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

needs a tuneup

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just tune it up with a new engine.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Big Taint posted:

needs a tuneup

Left headlight is crystal clear and the right is super hazy... so probably replaced, plus the scuffs allover the bumper and the missing tow hook cover

Makes me wonder what mysteries that car is hiding, what fun it has seen!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

keywords: lowrider

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Blue On Blue posted:

Makes me wonder what mysteries that car is hiding, what fun it has seen!

freeway miles

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Post your local 7 series poo poo heap. this one has less miles, costs less, and just needs a speed sensor. Bonus points for temp tags.

e: Assuming you were doing all of your own maintenance how much would it cost you to bring one of these up to snuff? I know it's going to be astronomical based on the horror stories. I'm genuinely curious.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 21, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Most of the ones I could find are dealers, but I did find this one.

Rebuilt title, great as a dependable college vehicle. And they will even work on it for you if when it breaks down.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i like that the points of contrast are "its better to buy this seven series than a car that has been in a flood" although i question whether the seven series will be more dependable than a car that has been a flood

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

This one actually looks kind of cool!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

man i can think of better commuter cars than a M62 powered BMW

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Made it 220k miles without completely falling apart, that's pretty good!

At least the ad is fairly up front about the car and realistic about the price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Guinness posted:

Made it 220k miles without completely falling apart, that's pretty good!

At least the ad is fairly up front about the car and realistic about the price.

how much money you think got plowed in to it in consumables

it is a good ad though, very fair

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Diametunim posted:

Post your local 7 series poo poo heap. this one has less miles, costs less, and just needs a speed sensor. Bonus points for temp tags.

e: Assuming you were doing all of your own maintenance how much would it cost you to bring one of these up to snuff? I know it's going to be astronomical based on the horror stories. I'm genuinely curious.

Is mechanic special code for "I'm a mechanic, please take this it's a hunk of poo poo and I can't get it working right"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

or you have to pretend you're a mechanic and also a Special Boy to buy that poo poo

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Blue On Blue posted:

Is mechanic special code for "I'm a mechanic, please take this it's a hunk of poo poo and I can't get it working right"

Almost always.

quote:

This video tells me all I need to know. Jesus Christ BMW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZfrtb4RXDg

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 21, 2020

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
e: whoops double post.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

flightless greeb posted:

Can't see how trashed the interior is but I'd 100% buy that if it was local to replace my shitbox 300SD as a beater

e: gas is so much cheaper than diesel now it would probably cost less in fuel costs too

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Hey guys let’s not just blanket malign all expensive old 7ers. E38 is a classic and deserves heaps of cash and maintenance. E65 is not (nor ever will be).

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

flightless greeb posted:

See my problem is that I look at that and all I can think is that for $1K on a car I don't need to drive every day it'd be fun. But I already have a track car. And a relatively comfortable daily driver. And my fiance said if I bring home another car she's getting a pet pig.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

See my problem is that I look at that and all I can think is that for $1K on a car I don't need to drive every day it'd be fun. But I already have a track car. And a relatively comfortable daily driver. And my fiance said if I bring home another car she's getting a pet pig.

Pigs are adorable. Do it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

KillHour posted:

Pigs are adorable. Do it.

:hmmno: You're not helping.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Sometimes I'm seriously thinking about moving to USA for how cheap the cars are there and little to no rust in most places

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Basketcase 20 year old BMW: $1000
1 day in the hospital: $45,000

Seems like a good tradeoff, and this 'little to no rust' suggestion will come as a surprise to roughly 95% of states in the USA

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For little to no rust, you have to move to the southern half of the US. For this you either pay the price of exceedingly high cost of living in California, or having to live with the "git r dun" types in all the other states.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Basketcase 20 year old BMW: $1000
1 day in the hospital: $45,000

Yeah that's the main downside. And about rust...I'll take pictures of my e30 project when I'm done cleaning and you guys will tell me if its same or worse than US conditions on rust.
That's gonna be a good one

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

"A few hundred dollars and a renew title and it will be a great car."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Yeah that's the main downside. And about rust...I'll take pictures of my e30 project when I'm done cleaning and you guys will tell me if its same or worse than US conditions on rust.
That's gonna be a good one

i grew up in new england, i think it's going to be difficult for you to teach me anything about rust unless you live in a salt mine where it rains all the time

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Seems like a good tradeoff, and this 'little to no rust' suggestion will come as a surprise to roughly 95% of states in the USA

Rust isn't too much of a concern outside of New England or the Midwest rust belt. More people live outside those areas than inside of them. California & Texas alone are huge and largely rust-free, plus the rest of the west coast, south west, south east are all pretty much rust-free. You don't have to live in a frozen salty hell hole to live in the US. Most people don't!

The Northwest is full of old BMWs, Volvos, VWs, Subarus, Hondas, and more. Bunch of "normal" folks drive around 20 year old cars as their daily drivers because they keep going. Rust is rarely the killer as much as just sheer age and decades of wear and tear.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

this is some extremely idle thinking while spaced out working from home that will probably lead nowhere, but are there any major issues with the M235/M240, manual only, which would warrant caution when looking at newish used ones?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Wheeee posted:

this is some extremely idle thinking while spaced out working from home that will probably lead nowhere, but are there any major issues with the M235/M240, manual only, which would warrant caution when looking at newish used ones?

This thread spent a lot of time and effort convincing me of this, so I'll go ahead and say it, because they were right if you are at all the target demographic to be thinking about it,

quote:

buy a M2

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Be a glove guy with all the other people.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Wheeee posted:

You should buy an M2. Here you go: https://www.galleriabmw.com/inventory/certified-used-2020-bmw-m2-competition-rwd-2d-coupe-wbs2u7c09l7f16382

fyallm fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 23, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
That car scares me already.

1) Hockenheim on red?
2) what the gently caress is up with that shift knob
3) fleet car? Presser?

e:
Wait do all the manuals get blue stitching in the shift boot? Why is that blue and the rest of the car red? So many questions...

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 23, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

its orange or whatever

but yes it is odd that the boot is blue and the rest of the car is orange

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Good to see that the M2 store is An Essential Business on the Gulf Coast

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Crunchy Black posted:

That car scares me already.

1) Hockenheim on red?
2) what the gently caress is up with that shift knob
3) fleet car? Presser?

e:
Wait do all the manuals get blue stitching in the shift boot? Why is that blue and the rest of the car red? So many questions...

See that stitching on the steering wheel? It's red & blue because it's an M car's steering wheel, so maybe that was the intended effect? I'm not sure what's supposed to be wrong with the shift knob though, it seems to match the material of the boot.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Data Graham posted:

Good to see that the M2 store is An Essential Business on the Gulf Coast

Literally nothing closed in the south for 'quarantine' lol
[other than like, nail and hair salons, but yay Georgia, those can open today]

Ether frenzy:
that's not the stock shift knob and it's not of a BMW design that I've ever seen. I'm asking why the shift *boot* is blue and the rest of the car stitching/accent is red.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Crunchy Black posted:

that's not the stock shift knob and it's not of a BMW design that I've ever seen. I'm asking why the shift *boot* is blue and the rest of the car stitching/accent is red.

That is weird.

Also, the back bumper isn't even close to the same as the rest of the car. And who buys a car in January, gets a loan for it, and it's on the lot again in 2 months without there being some larger problem / issue?