Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

stone porridge

haha gently caress, well does anyone think i should #rebrand my big vorpal, triple sword, i found my first brand weapon scroll

a fatguy baldspot fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I remember reading a translated set of opinions of Crawl from around the world, and the Korean ones were almost all about how the constant removal of features was always annoying, even if there was some begrudging acceptance that it made the game more accessible to play, so, yeah, it's like exactly how this thread thought of the main dev branch. The moment it became removal for its own sake, that's what broke bad on it everywhere.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Wow. I finally decided to try out Uskayaw. Holy poo poo this is a cool god. Stabbing in plate armor? Sign me the gently caress up!

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 23, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I haven't played since something like, .16 have they done any important changes to the core systems that I should be aware of?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

in trunk/mainline crawl? they removed half of them and made all the spells weird.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't played since something like, .16 have they done any important changes to the core systems that I should be aware of?
I'm in a similar boat and these are the things I've noticed in no particular order:

They're currently reworking miscast effects in a big way in trunk: more damage, fewer random effects, allowing for a more concise description and a greater chance of blowing you up in a seriously bad way. This means hell effects and zot traps can do enormous damage at the moment (132! every 40 turns there's a tiny chance to take at least 132 damage!), as they both trigger spell miscasts at high power.

All the weapon strength weighting is gone (this may precede 0.16); strength adds to all weapon damage equally, including crossbows (but not darts). Speaking of which, blowguns and needles are gone and you just throw darts, which you can't enchant but I believe dart effectiveness has changed to use throwing skill more heavily. Ammunition of steel, poison (except darts) or exploding are all gone, though Silver ammo gets a flat +30% on top of its anti-mutant property. Needles of frenzy are now datura darts, other special needles are replaced by atropa which blinds and confuses (no more needles of sleeping or paralysis).

Rods are gone entirely, recharging scrolls are gone, and wands stack in inventory (if you get a second wand of flames it just adds charges). Deep Dwarves can self-heal with an ability rather than recharge wands and starting with heal wounds. Inventory weight went away. Pikellas is gone and Nemelex uses invocations now. You can see enemy chance to beat your MR and vice versa. Slimes only eat items if you are a Jiyvanite. Sickness from chunks is gone but there are a couple enemies that can Sicken you.

Sacrificing corpses to gods is gone; praying is actually entirely gone. Devote with > on an altar. Faded god altars devote you to a random god (including Lugonu or Jiyva) and add a star of piety.

Amulet of resist mutations is gone, potions of Cure Mutation are gone, but potions of mutation will cure a mutation before adding some (a few good ones and a decent chance of a bad one). Zin will protect you from the added mutations and allow you to drink potion of mutation IF you are at max piety, and it will function to cure your mutations. Purple chunks are gone.

Tomb:3 has been reworked to make stairdancing impossible, mummy curses are separate from necromancy miscasts (but Kiku still protects).

Weapons you see enemies wielding are instantly identified. This means you know whenever an enemy is wielding distortion as soon as they enter LOS.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Is there a place on the gooncrawl server to view your data, like how normally I would go to http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/shard1697.html

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

Is there a place on the gooncrawl server to view your data, like how normally I would go to http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/shard1697.html

http://gooncrawl.montres.org.uk/ is what you want i think

e: http://gooncrawl.montres.org.uk/scoring/players/shard1697.html

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jack Trades posted:

In addition to what kaschei has said:

- Traps are no longer placed, but are instead a percent chance to trigger whenever you enter a new square, that gets higher as you explore more of the map.

- Several races and gods have been removed for being "redundant".

- A complete change in trunk's devteam philosophy that seems to be all about making it an extremely focused speed game. The name "Stone Soup" becomes more and more ironic with each removal.

- FFS, even PleasingFungus gave up on Crawl and left the devteam a while back.

Thankfully, Floodkiller and a few others have been working for a while on a new fork, GoonCrawl, one which almost everyone in this thread plays now. Not only does it import the good mainline Crawl changes, it's also got some completely original content, like new races, evocables, unrandarts, and I think a few spells?

Play GoonCrawl.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 23, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PMush Perfect posted:

In addition to what kaschei has said:

- Traps are no longer placed, but are instead a percent chance to trigger whenever you enter a new square, that gets higher as you explore more of the map.
Well, some of them, like shafts. But other things like Zot traps are still placed.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

pleasingfungus is the one who changed might/bril/agi potions and added tremorstones, it looks like, so it seems he's still on the dev team to some extent?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

PMush Perfect posted:

I think in absence of any information about why he left, saying he gave up on Crawl is a little extreme. The people who used to post in here, are or were associated with Crawl dev and still post in the Roguelikes thread seem to be perfectly comfortable with the game’s development direction. I think it’s important to not mix up sharing the same views with being willing to put yourself in the shoes of someone with different views.

As far as I’m aware, and I could be totally wrong, most of the people working on the game when the devs were doing stuff we mostly see as good don’t think the dev philosophy of the current team is radically different.

It’s interesting that the Korean community is also developing forks based on similar principles. I wonder if they got to the same conclusion completely separately or if there’s some cross pollination. When I played on the Korean server ages ago some of the players there would spectate my games and chat with me in English.

Meanwhile I’m a little embarrassed to post in this thread because there was a bunch of stuff I wanted to work on for Gooncrawl, including Redneck Nazgul’s hunter god idea, and I haven’t done any of it because coding is hard and I suck at it and life is really hard and I really suck at that too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, okay, that's fair. PF at the very least hasn't been seen since like two threads ago.

You also missed at least one occasion when another Crawl dev showed up in the thread to tell us how wrong and stupid all our opinions are, then threw a tantrum when everyone tore him to shreds for it. :allears:

Edit: Meanwhile, the Crawl subreddit now explicitly bans criticism, or any discussion about disliking changes. :nallears:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, okay, that's fair. PF at the very least hasn't been seen since like two threads ago.

You also missed at least one occasion when another Crawl dev showed up in the thread to tell us how wrong and stupid all our opinions are, then threw a tantrum when everyone tore him to shreds for it. :allears:

Edit: Meanwhile, the Crawl subreddit now explicitly bans criticism, or any discussion about disliking changes. :nallears:

Yeah, I definitely don’t intend to white knight all the devs. Crawl dev culture has had a weird relationship with the community from when I started following the game in .06-.07.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Eatthepurple is completely broken for me, and has been for a while. I can't launch Gooncrawl or main or trunk, clicking on the links doesn't seem to do anything. Tried clearing my cache to no avail

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So I hadn't tried Archaeologist, so I decided to give it a shot with a human. Book turned out to be polearms, cool, I like spears. Loot Box opened, oh sweet, Finisher! Never used this scythe before, it'll be awesome! Found a book, it's the Book of Maledictions, sure, I'll take Confuse, it's a great spell.

It was a short bit after destroying Sigmund that I realized that I had become him.

(Great class, tons of fun)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I would personally really like it if current gooncrawl demigods(prometheans) would become like current mainbranch Dg where you get to choose where all your stat points go via every 3rd level selected stat boost being doubled, because I love taking Dg fighter and jacking up my strength to absurd levels by leveling Str every time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Honestly the only thing you really needed to mention as evidence that this is a garbage game now is "purple chunks are gone".

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It's true. I've been having fun with the pledge where all eaten food rolls a mutation, but the thought that someone wanted to remove the infrequent and completely optional purple chunks still strikes me as super strange. What did the patch notes say when they published that change?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's true. I've been having fun with the pledge where all eaten food rolls a mutation, but the thought that someone wanted to remove the infrequent and completely optional purple chunks still strikes me as super strange. What did the patch notes say when they published that change?

because it wasn't optimal to ever choose to eat them

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Wasn't part of the issue is that the change to mutation potions wound up actually making it optimal to eat sometimes? Which is still very dumb.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I did find the exact patch they changed it (here) and I can't find any mention of why they changed it. Hell, they don't even mention chunks in the blogpost, you've gotta dig through the patch notes to find it.

Granted, it's almost certainly some variety of "mutations too random/powerful/interesting so we gotta make it bland", but it would be nice to hear it directly from their mouths.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

PMush Perfect posted:

This is not true. Many of the latest commits are from him

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Honestly the only thing you really needed to mention as evidence that this is a garbage game now is "purple chunks are gone".

Whoa whoa whoa
come again?!

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The original commit that removed purple chunks basically just says "potions of mutation exist".

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Are Eudemon Blades worth it over a Double Sword? Say with the double even being holy branded?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

This is also 100% false. I think you need to chill out a bit man. Your tribe can live alongside the other.

I don’t play trunk, I play release, but 0.24 is great imo, hopefully 0.25 will be too

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So which is the latest official version that still has the game intact and isn't missing every interesting feature? How long ago did they start doing this?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Arzaac posted:

I did find the exact patch they changed it (here) and I can't find any mention of why they changed it. Hell, they don't even mention chunks in the blogpost, you've gotta dig through the patch notes to find it.

Granted, it's almost certainly some variety of "mutations too random/powerful/interesting so we gotta make it bland", but it would be nice to hear it directly from their mouths.

Here's the commit message:

quote:

Now that potion of mutation has a reasonable change of increasing the
number of mutations, this secondary means of gaining single mutations is
unnecessary. I for one will miss eating sky beast and ugly thing
corpses, but it is for the best.

And it was in the context of changes to potion of mutation to make it cure fewer mutations (and appear less often). My TL;DR of that is "malmutate should be something all characters really want to avoid unless you are all in on mutation rotation with Xom or Jiyva" and they accomplish this by making it so that you can't get rid of mutations without increasing your overall mutation level, which makes getting rid of specific mutations in the future more difficult.

AFAICT the rationale is "the only people who should be eating chunks are people who want to increase their mutation level, and now the way to do that is to quaff potions of mutation, not eat purple chunks." But obviously a lot of people want to roll the dice on purple even when it's not optimal, and it's not like xom and jiyva followers are going to be able to generate chunks ad nauseam anyway.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

So which is the latest official version that still has the game intact and isn't missing every interesting feature? How long ago did they start doing this?

I never played with purple chunks so I can’t comment. But 0.24 is a good tight game man. Worth a try

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I found the exact commit where it all started

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

oh my god I just gotta share this among all the purple chunk chat. I hit the mutation wizlab and I couldn't stop eating

I've also got 16 potions of mutation

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Amethyst posted:

I never played with purple chunks so I can’t comment. But 0.24 is a good tight game man. Worth a try
I had a lot of fun playing trunk (0.25) until I saw hell effects are completely randomly destroying people. I think DCSS is still a great game and most of the changes have been for the better, but there's a hard edge I think some devs have (from encountering resistance to all changes good or bad, or maybe they're just jerks) to cut out what's unnecessary even when it adds intangible enjoyment for a lot of people.

When I started playing the most wonderful thing to me was how the dungeon doesn't care about you. You can battle through a million orcs in a bailey and find a garbage artefact hand axe is all you get for your trouble, spriggans find meat markets and mummies will see all the wonderful potions they can't imbibe. By cutting out cruft they've actually made the dungeon feel more like a tailored dungeon experience for adventurers to visit, rather than an inscrutable defensive barrier that tries to protect mostly by just patiently cultivating a hostile environment.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PMush Perfect posted:

not only is this not true but people on the sub frequently have similar criticisms to this thread, ex:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dcss/comments/g4xpnh/is_there_any_point_to_conjure_flame_now/
https://www.reddit.com/r/dcss/comments/g3nc2r/deflect_missiles_has_been_removed/

after playing some gooncrawl I think that the optional difficulty conducts on start and the permabuff system that also exists in other forks are both great, but also there's some stuff that feels kinda pointless(like potions of restore abilities) and I still loving hate maze labyrinths

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

they had started by like, .10

it was very gradual and it took people a while to notice

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also before y'all poopoo the new spells too much I would advise you to try Starburst, the level 6 spell that shoots bolts of fire in 8 directions simultaneously

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I haven’t tried positional magic yet but I’m looking forward to it a lot. Differentiating magic from ranged in a serious way is a really interesting idea.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

they had started by like, .10

it was very gradual and it took people a while to notice

mountain dwarves were the canary in the coal mine

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly it breaks my heart that I can come into this thread after a year and the main branch is basically in the same place.

I wish I could get into gooncrawl but my stupid brain just doesn't feel it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

not only is this not true but people on the sub frequently have similar criticisms to this thread, ex:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dcss/comments/g4xpnh/is_there_any_point_to_conjure_flame_now/
https://www.reddit.com/r/dcss/comments/g3nc2r/deflect_missiles_has_been_removed/

after playing some gooncrawl I think that the optional difficulty conducts on start and the permabuff system that also exists in other forks are both great, but also there's some stuff that feels kinda pointless(like potions of restore abilities) and I still loving hate maze labyrinths

potion of restore abilities is the opposite of useless when most sources of malmut have been replaced with stat drain

maze labyrinths are literally the worst though, no argument here