Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SolarFire2 posted:

So what's the difference between the Deathly Hallow invisiblity cloak and the more common off the shelf variety?

It's been years since I read the book, so this is just vague recollection on my part, but supposedly the invisibility offered by Harry's cloak is perfect, whereas more common cloaks are more fallible. Also, they make a big deal about how Harry's cloak is capable of covering multiple individuals at once, whereas most cloaks just mask the person wearing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

SolarFire2 posted:

So what's the difference between the Deathly Hallow invisiblity cloak and the more common off the shelf variety?

One's magic, the other is more magic.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Also regular invisibility cloaks wear out after a while because they're made of hair from an invisible animal instead of Death Gift Energy

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There's a pretty good podcast with a couple of former big HP fans rereading the series with a more adult perspective

https://soundcloud.com/shriekingshack

One thing they find in the early episodes is JK Rowling has really weird and off ideas about Wiccans.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
tbh I think that they're just fluff at the outset and that's better than trying to be Epic

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Roth posted:

One thing they find in the early episodes is JK Rowling has really weird and off ideas about Wiccans.

Wiccans/Witches trying to latch onto Harry Potter as a way of pushing their religion on impressionable children were just the worst and it was a weirdly common thing in early internet. Neil Cicierega of Potter Puppet Pals/Old SomethingAwful was so into the books because his parents were both witches and they pushed them on him as a way of showing how cool magic was and how great believing in it was.

But on the other hand Witches love claiming that millions of women were executed for witchcraft and that The Burning Times were on par with the Holocaust so

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

FunkyAl posted:

That's pretty sick! Any set stories?

Sadly not really, I was a drama student in college at the time and I wasn't sure whether I wanted to go into TV or focus on theatre, I was involved with a local amateur dramatics group and had been on TV a few times before doing extra work (999, Byker Grove) so when the call came to do Harry Potter it was like "You need to go to Goathland for the day, is that alright?"

I saw Daniel Radcliffe but at the time nobody really knew who he was, the other two even less so. There wasn't really a sense of a "big" movie franchise being made at the time, it was all pretty low-key. In the end I was only used in wide shots so i'm basically a blur in the background but it was a fun experience nonetheless!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Roth posted:

There's a pretty good podcast with a couple of former big HP fans rereading the series with a more adult perspective

https://soundcloud.com/shriekingshack

The first episode was a treat. It wa snice hearing them go "Hey, this stuff is pretty good" even as they reflect there's a lot in there that Rowling will either retcon or just not pay attention to. I had also forgotten just how bougie the Dursleys were supposed to be since in the movies they come off as pretty solidly middle class.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I enjoyed the conversation about how Dudley was definitely a big Sonic the Hedgehog fan

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

W.T. Fits posted:

It's been years since I read the book, so this is just vague recollection on my part, but supposedly the invisibility offered by Harry's cloak is perfect, whereas more common cloaks are more fallible. Also, they make a big deal about how Harry's cloak is capable of covering multiple individuals at once, whereas most cloaks just mask the person wearing it.

It's a special super invisibility cloak that can hide people from even Death himself!

Which is interesting because Moody's magic eye can see through it. There's a theory that moody's magic eye was made by Grindelwald because Grindelwald was obsessed with the hollows and super loving powerful so he made it to find the cloac and then Moody took it after Grindelwald was caught. I like that theory.

Also, back on like page one, people were talking about the Quidditch World Cup and numbers of magic folk. In The Goblet of Fire they say "100 000 wizards and witches" are attending the finals so yeah, where the gently caress are they the rest of the year.

Can someone explain to me why the gently caress people proudly proclaim to be slytherin? They're the nazis, right? Like, it's very obvious isn't it? I've asked people who actually claim to be Slytherin and they just get mad about it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Slytherin by and large is the house of stuck up rich people that believe in blood purity.

The "good" Slytherin characters are:

Tonks who is barely a character
Slughorn who is a coward and blatantly favors students he thinks are promising so he can get stuff in return later on
Snape who was an incel neo-nazi until the leopard bit the face of somebody he wanted to gently caress

Supposedly the positive aspect of being a Slytherin is being ambitious but that usually translates out to "Wants to be mega hitler"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Tonks was a Hufflepuff

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Man with Hat posted:

Can someone explain to me why the gently caress people proudly proclaim to be slytherin? They're the nazis, right? Like, it's very obvious isn't it? I've asked people who actually claim to be Slytherin and they just get mad about it.

They'd make grandiose statements about how it's a proud and noble house of independent, industrious minds; a house with a storied legacy that has given a lot to the greater wizarding community through the years. When you bring up the racism and the hate crimes and the open radicalization of large swaths of the house they either ignore it or gently chide that as a "fringe" element within an otherwise decent group

basically I am imagining Mitt Romney in a green and grey scarf

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pick posted:

Tonks was a Hufflepuff

I apparently confused her with her mother who was sorted into Slytherin and married a muggle. I guess I'm technically correct?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Roth posted:

I apparently confused her with her mother who was sorted into Slytherin and married a muggle. I guess I'm technically correct?

The best kind of correct

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think people get attracted to the idea of being an antihero like Snape – they want to be cunning and ruthless and smart but still eventually fight for the good guys. In comparison, Gryffindor is seen as the normal, basic, boring Hero house, and some people just want to be on the edgy team.

The series likes to have it both ways, sure, Snape, Slughorn, Regulus, and Harry's stupid kid are good Syltherins, but all of the students refuse to fight during the final battle, and it's really hard to ignore that nearly every bad guy in the main series comes from the blood purity house.

I think people that identify as Slytherins just kind of ignore that stuff and say that there's nothing wrong with being ambitious or whatever, even though you can totally be an ambitious person who isn't a wizard Nazi.

Really, the whole house should have been shut down after the war but I guess that would be radical leftism or something.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Wiccans/Witches trying to latch onto Harry Potter as a way of pushing their religion on impressionable children were just the worst and it was a weirdly common thing in early internet. Neil Cicierega of Potter Puppet Pals/Old SomethingAwful was so into the books because his parents were both witches and they pushed them on him as a way of showing how cool magic was and how great believing in it was.

But on the other hand Witches love claiming that millions of women were executed for witchcraft and that The Burning Times were on par with the Holocaust so

I think JK Rowling was clearly mocking "magic is real" types with Professor Trelawney

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wiccans are no weirder than any other religious order

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

They'd make grandiose statements about how it's a proud and noble house of independent, industrious minds; a house with a storied legacy that has given a lot to the greater wizarding community through the years.

And I would totally accept that as a reasonable take on it if it weren't for the fact that the guy who founded the house was a noted racist who built a secret chamber in the castle to hide a monster that would eventually be used by one of his descendants to hunt down and murder the group he was racist against.

Roth posted:

Slytherin by and large is the house of stuck up rich people that believe in blood purity.

Slughorn who is a coward and blatantly favors students he thinks are promising so he can get stuff in return later on
Snape who was an incel neo-nazi until the leopard bit the face of somebody he wanted to gently caress

Supposedly the positive aspect of being a Slytherin is being ambitious but that usually translates out to "Wants to be mega hitler"

The other token "good" Slytherin was Sirius's brother, Regulus. And just like with Snape, it's one of those cases of "he was totally fine with everything Voldemort and the Death Eaters were doing until someone he personally cared about got hurt."

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Man with Hat posted:

It's a special super invisibility cloak that can hide people from even Death himself!

Which is interesting because Moody's magic eye can see through it. There's a theory that moody's magic eye was made by Grindelwald because Grindelwald was obsessed with the hollows and super loving powerful so he made it to find the cloac and then Moody took it after Grindelwald was caught. I like that theory.

Also, back on like page one, people were talking about the Quidditch World Cup and numbers of magic folk. In The Goblet of Fire they say "100 000 wizards and witches" are attending the finals so yeah, where the gently caress are they the rest of the year.

Moody's eye is defenitely a horcrux.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

when Rowling started the series, she didn't anticipate that there'd be a Harry Potter theme park and an in depth personality quiz on a special website and millions of dollars to be made off green and silver scarves, football jerseys, and shower curtains.

so syltherin has to simultaneously be both the fascist house as well as a totally legitimate option for any random teenager to affiliate with based on their meyers briggs or whatever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

People should be Ravenclaw which is like being Slytherin but without the hate crimes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Slytherin being the bad guy house was more fine when it was a children's fantasy series. The first book ends with the Headmaster suddenly awarding the rival house with hundreds of house points and then magically changing the celebration colors to their house which is fine and dandy in a book where they're two dimensional bullies, but doesn't go so well but becomes weird with the hindsight that by book 6 the main Slytherin character is going to be crying in a bathroom over how he's being forced by Voldemort to murder Dumbledore, and having to live up to what being a nazi actually means doing to other people.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I always thought the 'Good Slytherin' was Harry.
Dude is ambitious and doesn't care even a little bit for rules if they get in the way of what he wants to do.
Likewise, Ron is Hufflepuff as gently caress as he's the most normal bloke of the trio, and Hermione is Ravenclaw as gently caress.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Roth posted:

The thing is Slughorn isn't just a coward, he's a racist coward. He's one of those "I'm not racist, one of my favored students was a muggle-born!" Like he makes it really clear it's a rarity from his point of view.

Anyway I guess it's like people say, they just ignore the racist part of the entire house and literally everyone in it and focus on the ambitious part so I guess I just don't understand how people can ignore that.

Also hogwarts is hosed up it has teachers openly discriminating based on house and it encourages hate between the houses. Snape turns out to have been a good guy all along but jfc that does not excuse mentally torturing children because they happen to wear red into class holy poo poo Dumbledore fire that guy he's a literal sadist.

I recently reread the whole series so a lot of this is fresh in my mind.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Moody was the most disappointing casting I think, I love Brendan Gleeson but with as rough and hobbled and battle-damaged as the character is described and illustrated as being, a chubby guy with a CGI monocle just isn't cutting it.

Roth posted:

Wiccans are no weirder than any other religious order

Wicca was founded in the 1950s while claiming to represent milennia-old beliefs, there's actually a lot to unpack with how it's largely cultural imperialism and appropriation in a way that's unique beyond going "lol religion"

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 24, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sleeveless posted:

Moody was the most disappointing casting I think, I love Brendan Gleeson but with as rough and hobbled and battle-damaged as the character is described and illustrated as being, a chubby guy with a CGI monocle just isn't cutting it.

Wicca was founded in the 1950s while claiming to represent milennia-old beliefs, there's actually a lot to unpack with how it's largely cultural imperialism and appropriation in a way that's unique beyond going "lol religion"

I'll believe you because I'm not all that familiar with the topic beyond "It's a religion I guess"

I do want to be clear that I did not mean that as "lol religion" and more just "Let people practice whatever they're beliefs are"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dawgstar posted:

People should be Ravenclaw which is like being Slytherin but without the hate crimes.

I don't remember much about them aside from them being too smart to get wrapped up in a lot of the horse poo poo. wise indeed.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Slytherin are the stuck up prats of Omega house, Gryffindor are the loveable slobs of Delta (aka Animal) house.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Slughorn's frat threw a great party!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i don't remember if this is text, subtext, or just part of the endless fan canon, but i always thought it was pretty obvious that slytherin was in a vicious cycle because perfectly good candidates for their positive aspects weren't enormous racists and therefore asked to go literally anywhere else. if you tilt your head and squint 'ambition' and 'bravery' are basically the same thing

this provides a nice watsonian reason for the hat to try and put harry in slytherin, to try and salvage its reputation by having him be a hero, along with the doylian 'it creates tension and drama for the protagonist'.

also the bad guy's most loyal servant is a gryffindor despite being the least courageous character in the entire series, so it's all sort of arbitrary anyway. maybe school houses shouldn't actually be defining character traits

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I feel like there's probably a lot of students who get sorted into the houses they're in not because they actually embody the qualities the house desires, but because their family members have always ended up in that house, and so they secretly hope to get put in there as well so as not to disappoint their families, and the Sorting Hat responds to that by going, "Eh, sure, why not."

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

He did literally do that flr harry

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

House Protagonist, House Antagonist, House Smart and House Nice.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think the idea behind the sorting hat is that it sorts you based on the values that are important to you, not the ones you embody. So you can be dumb as poo poo and still get into Ravenclaw as long as you think intellectual pursuits are the most important thing regardless of how bad at them you are

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I think the idea behind the sorting hat is that it sorts you based on the values that are important to you, not the ones you embody. So you can be dumb as poo poo and still get into Ravenclaw as long as you think intellectual pursuits are the most important thing regardless of how bad at them you are

And generally speaking your Housemates will probably bring you up to speed pretty quick. Like if you get into Ravenclaw but weren't exactly an AP student, you're still in the House that has to answer a pop quiz anytime you want to go to the dorms so it's like a never-ending study session so you'll probably find magic GPA going up even if it's just by osmosis.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The sorting hat's broken but nobody bothered to re-enchant it

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

When the sorting hat sits on Harry it talks about what qualities he possesses pretty clearly. "Lots of talent. Loyalty. Ambition, yes, lots of ambition. And bravery too" (praraphrased).

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dawgstar posted:

And generally speaking your Housemates will probably bring you up to speed pretty quick. Like if you get into Ravenclaw but weren't exactly an AP student, you're still in the House that has to answer a pop quiz anytime you want to go to the dorms so it's like a never-ending study session so you'll probably find magic GPA going up even if it's just by osmosis.

Ah, the private school system in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

josh04 posted:

House Protagonist, House Antagonist, House Smart and House Nice.

House Cop, House Chud, House Lanyard, and House Doesn't See Race.

josh04 posted:

Ah, the private school system in action.

I remember a person on Twitter being like "I used to think it was so crazy that Rowling built this whole world with like split schools and long term stays and turns out the creative parts are just normal British society"