Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I feel good about foo

:unsmigghh:

##vote foo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I think I'm ready to vote foo. I will not drop a vote until I have agreement from people, but that is where I stand.

I think I want foo and Hal as the last two, but am super open to arguments from both Hal and others.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Moat, we have time, mind unvoting until we have discussions.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Grandicap posted:

Moat, we have time, mind unvoting until we have discussions.

For sure

##unvote

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Watching groundhog day now

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I can't imagine changing my mind here, but go on if you have something to say.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

I can't imagine changing my mind here, but go on if you have something to say.

What is your call on the team again? Was it steak + murmur or foo + ???

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Grandicap posted:

What is your call on the team again? Was it steak + murmur or foo + ???

Foo+Hal(???)

I don't love it but we're here now, robbed a day by the whims of a capricious and uncaring universe.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im fairly confident in hal being the answer (plus obviously foo).

im impatient to see the results, but i understand people being antsy about rushing into anything

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like, im getting myself paranoid about kb ending up being the scum and us loving this whole thing up, but... i'll choose to trust the confirmed town squad's town read on him.

im also slightly paranoid about bif somehow being a genius scum, but tbh... no, if she's scum then she deserves to win and gloat about it

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
How is there a place seriously called

gobblers knob

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like we probably just lost the game but Pod is letting it play out regardless and scum are trying to see how many of themselves they can preserve.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like we probably just lost the game but Pod is letting it play out regardless and scum are trying to see how many of themselves they can preserve.

I think that would be awfully silly.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the main thing keeping my KB paranoia in check, is that town's been writing him off for days now, yet the rest of the scumteam has continued to scramble and desperately try to save themselves from suspicion (at least, as much as their motivation allowed. foo was the strongest of the bunch in that regard). but if they had 1 scumbud (kb) totally in the clear, then i'd have expected them to essentially abandon the idea of clearing themselves and just let town lose by failing to catch kb. that hasnt happened, so the final scum must be one of the people who scum would still be afraid of getting caught. ie: gk or hal

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Mr. Steak posted:

the main thing keeping my KB paranoia in check, is that town's been writing him off for days now, yet the rest of the scumteam has continued to scramble and desperately try to save themselves from suspicion (at least, as much as their motivation allowed. foo was the strongest of the bunch in that regard). but if they had 1 scumbud (kb) totally in the clear, then i'd have expected them to essentially abandon the idea of clearing themselves and just let town lose by failing to catch kb. that hasnt happened, so the final scum must be one of the people who scum would still be afraid of getting caught. ie: gk or hal

Who is the rest of scum team for you steak

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Somberbrero posted:

I think that would be awfully silly.

The flavor was different but who knows

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Groundhog Day has always been one of my favourite movies.

My only paranoia about KB has been that I haven't had much paranoia about him :v: so it feels like maybe I should be trying harder at it. But it would be forced. Usually I do have organic moments where even if I think KB looks way townier than a bunch of people making bad moves, I'll still feel more worried if he's not doing enough real reads or sounds like he's trying to cleverly guide things a certain way.

Kind of like how I've been off and on suspecting MT all game, to a lesser extent. That's how I've often felt about KB when he does turn out to be scum.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Bifauxnen posted:

Groundhog Day has always been one of my favourite movies.

My only paranoia about KB has been that I haven't had much paranoia about him :v: so it feels like maybe I should be trying harder at it. But it would be forced. Usually I do have organic moments where even if I think KB looks way townier than a bunch of people making bad moves, I'll still feel more worried if he's not doing enough real reads or sounds like he's trying to cleverly guide things a certain way.

Kind of like how I've been off and on suspecting MT all game, to a lesser extent. That's how I've often felt about KB when he does turn out to be scum.

Yeah if king b is scum it's honestly p lovely of him

That's what I fall back on

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Moatillata posted:

Yeah if king b is scum it's honestly p lovely of him

That's what I fall back on

Aw that's not fair cmon it'd be amazing

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I really wish I was scum so I could just retire as the ultimate devious mastermind here

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'll make my case for foo in a bit. as in, my case for convincing town to vote for foo.

but in the meantime, pls reexamine my argument against mmt/me being scum.

Mr. Steak posted:

##vote merk

its merk/foo/icr, obviously. that should be obvious to everybody, because believing me and mmt are scum together requires jumping though like 20 hoops. y'all need to stop being paranoid of gambits and go with what makes sense. theres no way mmt and me could have manipulated all of these lunches AND faked our interactions just to clear ourselves. think about how neither of us have evidently gotten our way on like ANY days. do you really think its likely that we were just being manipulative the whole time and actually got what we wanted...?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Bifauxnen posted:

Aw that's not fair cmon it'd be amazing

Nah not really

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Mr. Steak posted:

ugh i wish my masonry went through with mmt last night!!! we would literally be confirmed masons lol. lol whoever caused the rb, gently caress you

:smith::respek::smith:

I was wondering why you didn't! But yeah, figured as much.

Mr. Steak posted:

i'll make my case for foo in a bit. as in, my case for convincing town to vote for foo.

but in the meantime, pls reexamine my argument against mmt/me being scum.

co-signed, sorry about yesterday!

Grandicap posted:

Murmur is right that I targeted myself N1.
Whether that makes her scum and just that she didn't know what magnetize is is, or not is still up in the air.

Just for the sake of discussion, if I were scum how would I know what magnetize is?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I have the same "oh man if one of KB or Bif is scum they're crushing it" fear in the back of my head but I also feel fairly solid I could call this their town games.

Hal and GK, I'm going back and forth on. Honestly, I think GK is scummier than Hal - a lot of my suspicion of Hal came from thinking he was working with a scum Steak. I'm mainly just waiting until the Foo vote before diving into it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

I have the same "oh man if one of KB or Bif is scum they're crushing it" fear in the back of my head but I also feel fairly solid I could call this their town games.

Hal and GK, I'm going back and forth on. Honestly, I think GK is scummier than Hal - a lot of my suspicion of Hal came from thinking he was working with a scum Steak. I'm mainly just waiting until the Foo vote before diving into it.

I obviously really hope MT and GK are both town just in the "hoping I have this right so if we stick with merk/ICR/Foo/Hal we don't lose" sense, but I also hope it's true so we can call this the George Costanza game

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

i quite simply do not have the energy, so i will say this once:

if i am lunched, we lose.
the scum team is merk, steak, icr, and murmur twin.

Admittedly I'm gonna be kinda frustrated if people think that me/Steak are scummier than this, but que sera sera.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

Admittedly I'm gonna be kinda frustrated if people think that me/Steak are scummier than this, but que sera sera.

Gaaaaaaaah MT you're making me paranoid again

I mean just yesterday you were literally convinced that Steak was scummier than this

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Not paranoid enough to stop thinking merk/ICR/Foo/Hal isn't still the best choice mind you, cause man, Hal can also be real good at just skating by, but I am still feelin it I tell you what

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

Not paranoid enough to stop thinking merk/ICR/Foo/Hal isn't still the best choice mind you, cause man, Hal can also be real good at just skating by, but I am still feelin it I tell you what

Hang on I think I have too many negatives in here

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Grandicap posted:

Murmur is right that I targeted myself N1.
Whether that makes her scum and just that she didn't know what magnetize is is, or not is still up in the air.

Wait, sorry, are you saying that you actually PURPOSELY targeted yourself and you knew you never cleared ICR?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Anyway, if Pod isn't loving with us and ICR really was scum that makes me much less suss of steak/mmt since my thinking was mmt was scum trying to throw doubt on the ICR clear to protect mmt/steak or mmt/foo. Which is also why I really wanted ICR subbed out yesterday instead of steak so we could maybe get two town and be more sure of steak/mmt.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I am probably fairly busy today but this morning I want to go back and look closer at KB/GK/bif since yesterday and today I was stuck on mmt/steak being the most likely combo and haven't really thought about anyone else too much.

Right now it looks like everyone is leaning towards me which is sucky for sure. I am not sure what makes me more suspicious, I guess people think I have been "setup speccing" too much and not scum hunting. First off I think that isn't entirely fair, I have been reading people. But I also think scum-hunting in the traditional sense isn't as valuable here as it would be in a normal game. Scum WANT to scum hunt and bus in this game to some extent because the best thing for scum is a mix of scum and town on every group. Scum still want to deny information, and in this game the best way to deny information is to muddy up end of night results. So while I may not have "scum hunted" to the level of other posters, I was very consistent in trying to advocate for ways to GAIN information by either pushing for smaller groupings or pushing for larger groupings that are more likely to give nebulous results.

A few things to consider about me as you ponder today:

- We don't know for sure if scum knew how the game worked, but if we did, D1 I was always about limiting kills and was perfectly happy to stop at SSV and get a flip, which was definitely not in scum interest

- D2 when we know scum knew what was up and (presumably) knew a giant group of town getting put up had advantages for them, I still preached going after scum instead of town, staying in smaller groups and trying to get people confirmed one way or another (preferably as scum)

- It's been gone over, but I could have hammered merk at any time and done exactly what scum would want, and deny information. Sure people can say "oh but that would be too scummy to do" are not taking into account the fact that we would not KNOW merk was the scum in that group and if nothing else it would have taken up at least a day or more to try and figure out if merk (and I) were the scum in that situation and I think scum would take that over letting three people be confirmed, but who knows. My opinion is scum would hammer there (which makes GK look a bit better, although he may have been vocally more against a merk kill so he'd have more to explain, I am not sure I have to look back)

- D3 when claims came out I was willing to claim as soon as all my targets did and before the other half of the game did, leaving myself open to being counter-claimed or caught in a lie, and when I could have muddied things by not saying I rodded GK to explain his result or not admitting that KB had gotten my action name correct I immediately offered up that information to make sure where was as little ambiguity as possible.

- Later that day when people wanted me tested, I was fine with it and said PLEASE just put me in a group with only merk because the last thing we needed was another "3 scum" result that told us nothing, and when for whatever reason it was decided to test MMT I again said to keep the group small so we could have more clarity in the results and avoid exactly what is happening right now.

So, while other people may have been more scum-huntery than me, I maintain that scum hunting is not quite as important in this game as some (and it is much easier for scum to just bus in this game), the other half, which is trying to maximize information and keep too many town from being put up each day, I think no one was putting more effort than me into trying to give scum the least places to hide and getting definitive results, but sadly I am just not very persuasive.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

My gut feeling without going back over everything is if foo is the scum it is KB, a point in his favor is trying to limit the people yesterday which obviously I think was the right move, but other than his push on me D1 I don't remember him doing much of anything else other than being agreeable (I could well have just forgotten things). Being agreeable isn't really all that helpful in this game since "going along with the plan" hasn't really been all that great for us.

Yes, the three cleared town were nice, but it also came at the expense of losing a day. And our choices for kills led to exactly 0 confirmed scum, we really only got merk because he melted down. I don't think scum are unhappy with us being left on the last day with one group that is 3/4 scum (or 2/3 if we count merk as confirmed) and one that is 1/5 scum, that seems like one of the better outcomes for them. So "being agreeable" was a pretty good scum strategy this game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

##vote steak

merk down, icr down, steak and mmt to go

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Again, if I am lunched, we. lose.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hal Incandenza posted:

We don't know for sure if scum knew how the game worked, but if we did, D1 I was always about limiting kills and was perfectly happy to stop at SSV and get a flip, which was definitely not in scum interest.

hal, my man......

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Mr. Steak posted:

hal, my man......

I saw it too steak.
I'm trying to weigh if its a mistake or posting from a scum POV.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grandicap posted:

I saw it too steak.
I'm trying to weigh if its a mistake or posting from a scum POV.

yeah, now i'm wondering if it might have just been an awkward way of phrasing "but if we did know for sure that scum knew..." but.... idk. its very much making me go :goofy:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Ok, in my mind I'm just going to make up some odds of different scumteams to make me feel better about myself when I make the wrong decision later.

Scumteam A: merk, IronChefRamen, Captain Foo, Hal Incandenza - 44%
Scumteam B: merk, IronChefRamen, Mr. Steak, Murmur Twin - 33%
Scumteam C: merk, IronChefRamen, Captain Foo, George Kansas - 20%
Scumteam D: merk, IronChefRamen, Captain Foo, King Burgandy - 2.5%
Scumteam E: merk, IronChefRamen, Captain Foo, Bifauxnen - 0.5%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

Again, if I am lunched, we. lose.

Would a scum Foo go down fighting, or be resigned to it? That's the thing that is giving me the most pause here, I feel a scum foo would be fighting harder. Maybe because the 4th slot is still up in the air that is where all of the eggs are going, in the Hal vs. GK basket?