Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

acksplode posted:

"Kill thing" isn't something you mindlessly do by rote in Doom. FF7R's dungeons are really standard classic FF dungeons that I basically need two active brain cells to navigate.

I put way more thought in killing random poo poo than I did for anything in 2016

I didn’t play Eternal because 2016 taught me I don’t like arena shooters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Nioh question: I'm two missions in. There are a few parrying techniques, but I'm having trouble with them. Will I be fine playing the game as I have been with just blocking and dodging?

Is parrying more like Dark Souls, where it's not really practical the first time through since you aren't a master at the game yet?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There are fights against regular rear end enemies in FF7R that even on normal will wreck you if you aren't paying attention. It's honestly the best and most engaging combat system in any FF game I've ever played.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I never really parried in Nioh, always wanted to do a barehand parry run though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi3Nz4q5o-4

Blade grasp is one of the sickest skills in any video game and if Tsushima doesn't have it...

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

acksplode posted:

"Kill thing" isn't something you mindlessly do by rote in Doom. FF7R's dungeons are really standard classic FF dungeons that I basically need two active brain cells to navigate.

Maybe you should go pro

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DrNutt posted:

There are fights against regular rear end enemies in FF7R that even on normal will wreck you if you aren't paying attention. It's honestly the best and most engaging combat system in any FF game I've ever played.

bodyslammed to death by one thousand perfect turtles

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I got destroyed by those machines that go berserk because I could stagger them in time early in FF7

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Got Trials of Mana because I am bored and finished other games I wanted to play, not having much idea what was about. I may have made a mistake because is so simple ... you basically follow the start waypoint to the next waypoint and win battles massing buttons. It looks like the combat will get very complex later on, or could be already complex if you play on hard.

But the worst is the console. Is already sprint here in Spain and has been a very hot day today. I simply can't run the console like this, it make a noise that is way too much. Oh gently caress. At least it was not a expensive game, it was 50$ and not the usual 60$.

Once the coronavirus lockdown ends I have to do something with this console, send it to a tecnician to change the thermal paste.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Yeah I love the combat, probably the most engaging JRPG combat I've played since like Grandia 2. It's the running around between fights that makes me doze off

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

acksplode posted:

Yeah I love the combat, probably the most engaging JRPG combat I've played since like Grandia 2. It's the running around between fights that makes me doze off

Some of the dungeons really do overstay their welcome, I don't know that too many people would disagree with that.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
20 hours into Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and I gotta say this game has some of the most original traversal abilities I've seen in a Metroidvaynia.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tei posted:

Got Trials of Mana because I am bored and finished other games I wanted to play, not having much idea what was about. I may have made a mistake because is so simple ... you basically follow the start waypoint to the next waypoint and win battles massing buttons. It looks like the combat will get very complex later on, or could be already complex if you play on hard.

Based on playing the demo, it’s an incredibly faithful up-res of the original, so it’s very much a Super NES game at its heart still.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I thought FF7 dungeons were short.

I’ve seen way way longer in like GOW

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Thundercracker posted:

20 hours into Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and I gotta say this game has some of the most original traversal abilities I've seen in a Metroidvaynia.

It really is a great game, just wish I didn't suck at it so I could enjoy more of it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought FF7 dungeons were short.

I’ve seen way way longer in like GOW

Agreed. The sewers were a drag but they were basically beelines compared to other game dungeons

The longest dungeon in FF7R is still basically just a chain of two rooms, fight, save point x 6 which is not the most backbreaking thing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Frog Act posted:

I assume these are phishing attempts or like weird scams of some kind it's just such a confusing way to go about it

That's dark.

Frog Act posted:

Weird - but why would someone target me with this in such specifically strange language?

Maybe it's kind of like one of those things where chinese slave laborers put little 'help me' messages into the ipods they're assembling. :shrug:

Oxxidation posted:

i beat all three pull-up challenges on my first try, and i think the trick is to stop looking at the screen after the prompts fade. just watch your thumb on the controller. the lack of visual stimulus means that you're way less likely to screw up the pattern

I mean, you have to look at the screen just in case the speed-up prompts come up and you have to mash, but yeah this is generally good advice. I held the controller up between me and the tv, mostly looked at the controller when it got really fast. After 1-2 button mash speed increases you can actually push the buttons a little faster than the animations will allow for, but if you do that before the speed increases you will pre-empt the prompt and fall.

So basically, early on don't go too fast, later on don't press the wrong button.

Woofer posted:

Or just go slow and dont press a button unless you’re certain because the NPC is gonna fall down.

That's not how it works. You need to put the NPC out of your mind completely. They have a set target within the time limit and will almost always reach it no matter what, even by cheating due to arbitrary speed increases. The goal is to make sure that YOU, regardless of what the NPC is doing, can get 42 pullups within the time limit. You will never win until you can get that many.

DrNutt posted:

Those dudes who cast Toad status :argh:

Also the guys who are made of pipes and spray smog in the air, holy poo poo such assholes

DrNutt posted:

Some of the dungeons really do overstay their welcome, I don't know that too many people would disagree with that.

I like long dungeons in the Persona vein. If I'm in a dungeon I want it to be a trial, and then I want my out-of-dungeon time to be one huge uninterrupted vacation of assessing the spoils, whacking off, and digging through menus.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OH GREAT ANOTHER CONTROL BOSS

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OH GREAT ANOTHER CONTROL BOSS

TAKE CONTROL

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This Anchor fight seems straightforward but also extremely tedious

Edit: 4 of my 8 deaths so far have been me falling to my death by walking off the edge/letting my levitate expire while I'm waiting for the weak point

Only 8 deaths, easy peasy

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 25, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Maybe it screws with some people, but I had the best luck with the pull ups just watching cloud. You can press the next button the moment the animation stops, which once you build up speed is nearly as fast as you can push the buttons. Just don't press the button until he locks into position.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Maybe it screws with some people, but I had the best luck with the pull ups just watching cloud. You can press the next button the moment the animation stops, which once you build up speed is nearly as fast as you can push the buttons. Just don't press the button until he locks into position.

Cloud can't do pull-ups, his arms aren't as strong as Tifa's.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Whichever cute girl it was, whatever

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Every so often I go after a unique monster and I start getting my rear end kicked until I Assess them. That one Toad King sidequest I must've burned through like 6 phoenix downs in the process of figuring out how to kill any of them.

I enjoyed the brainless simplicity of Tales of Symphonia but this is still a ton of fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First Strike + Assess is an essential combo imo

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Escobarbarian posted:

On your first playthrough, hard agree - hard mode? Just give me all the HP and MP up materia you have.

Wait, wait.

I'm worried that what you just heard was give me a lot of HP and MP up materia. What I said was give me all the HP and MP up materia you have. Do you understand?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I still take first strike on Aerith because setting up a free arcane ward and throwing out all barrier is too good.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

JBP posted:

I still take first strike on Aerith because setting up a free arcane ward and throwing out all barrier is too good.

Combine first strike with the yellow ATB boost materia that gives you bars for hitting L1+R1 and she can literally nuke everything to death within like, the first 4 seconds, highly recommended

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

postmodifier posted:

On your first playthrough, hard agree - hard mode? Just give me all the HP and MP up materia you have.

Wait, wait.

I'm worried that what you just heard was give me a lot of HP and MP up materia. What I said was give me all the HP and MP up materia you have. Do you understand?

JBP posted:

postmodifier posted:

Combine first strike with the yellow ATB boost materia that gives you bars for hitting L1+R1 and she can literally nuke everything to death within like, the first 4 seconds, highly recommended

And here I am just trying to juggle all the elemental materia like a scrub. Those accessories that give you 20+ magic and physical defense just seem like too good to give up even though they only have two slots!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have never encountered a PS4 game that hitched or crashed while loading FMVs but now I've played control

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have never encountered a PS4 game that hitched or crashed while loading FMVs but now I've played control

Perhaps your PS4 requires a thorough dusting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My pspoor never did that, even before the game was patched :shrug:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Imhotep posted:

I suck at shooters, and the Formation DLC was stupid hard imo, and I beat the final boss, and I think every other boss first try. I actually want to play it again because I beat it in like less than 24 hours after it was released. The key to the last boss is to use the new abilities.

I just played through Control and the DLC for the first time. I felt overpowered as soon as I got the Telekinesis skill early on. I upgraded it all the way down the skill tree pretty much first thing, and it just does stupid amounts of damage. I don't think I got every boss first try, but the only one I remember being somewhat challenging was the optional boss down in the Pit.

Cool game, but I had this nagging feeling throughout that it could have been just a bit better with some tweaks here and there.

The Human Crouton posted:

Nioh question: I'm two missions in. There are a few parrying techniques, but I'm having trouble with them. Will I be fine playing the game as I have been with just blocking and dodging?

Is parrying more like Dark Souls, where it's not really practical the first time through since you aren't a master at the game yet?

I didn't parry much at all in it. The skills just felt awkward to me, and it definitely isn't required.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 26, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZvbCgnCJoA

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

haveblue posted:

This sequence was made easier by the most recent patch, try again!

god I spent like 30 attempts at least before I beat that one. hardest sequence in the game imo

e: close second to the mirror boss

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

It was definitely made a lot easier, the night it came out I tried it a bunch of times and was like "Naw this is bullshit" but I got it on my second try this time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fix posted:

The first Yakuza game you play is the best Yakuza game you'll play (especially if it's Y0).

I think this is probably only true if it's 0

I've played them more or less in order starting with 3 and they just keep getting better for the most part

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Never have I felt so alienated (in a gaming context) as to see so many people going "The Control bosses were babytown frolics"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Crowetron posted:

How is that Fist of the North Star game the Yakuza guys made? It's half off right now and I'm thinking about picking it up.

I loved it. I never got tired of making dudes explode.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Never have I felt so alienated (in a gaming context) as to see so many people going "The Control bosses were babytown frolics"

I had trouble with the Mold boss, I think that's it tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fired up Control to do the DLC and man this game is rough as hell. Need to readjust to some of frame losses and ugliness; faithful that they will disappear from front of mind when I start getting into it.