Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ihmemies posted:

That's why I've been buying the very cheapest GPU's and swapping the cooler since Geforce 4 times.

Not quite that long for me, but yeah, I've thrown a G10+AIO on the last several of my cards and it's been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It was a nightmare installing the hybrid cooler on my card and I never want to redo that!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Which card? I wouldn't say it was a fun thing I'd do for relaxation, but I don't think it's ever taken me more than about 10 minutes, and that's usually mostly spent scrubbing the old thermal paste off.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DrDork posted:

Which card? I wouldn't say it was a fun thing I'd do for relaxation, but I don't think it's ever taken me more than about 10 minutes, and that's usually mostly spent scrubbing the old thermal paste off.

EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra. If you click to see just my posts in this thread I made an effortpost about it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ihmemies posted:

That's why I've been buying the very cheapest GPU's and swapping the cooler since Geforce 4 times. Stock coolers are the worst. Also today Nvidia's GPU fan profiles are somehow hosed so I have to run the fans off motherboard.

GPU manufacturers just can't design a working cooling system even if their life depended on it. Small coolers, poo poo fans, terrible paste job every single time.

Strong disagree for anything Pascal or later. Has only been a few bad models for Nvidia parts I can even remember (MSI Armors mostly). The rest are functionally silent at stock clocks.

AMD has had... a lot more bad SKUs though.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Just go all-in with custom water loop, my 1080 Ti max temps are now 50c when gaming and fan noise is minimal as they are controlled by water temp.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The fan noise of mine (the Asus Strix variant) is minimal too, it just runs a bit warmer :shrug:

I also used a bunch of MSI Gaming models of Maxwell and Pascal cards and they've been great, and not much more expensive than most models at the time (obvious trash-tier stuff like blowers and cheap models where you can see they will never not run their fans at high RPM excluded).

I would still be buying MSI Gaming (or Armor, their cheapest above blower tier are now the Ventus cards) but my SFF case is limited to 2-slots, which means Gigabyte (the "Gaming" cards are okay but I'm sure two big fans and a slightly wider cooler would be better/quieter than their narrow/long setup with 3 tiny fans) or EVGA which is super overpriced here (as in $100 more than comparable cards).

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 25, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wargames posted:

Too bad software is so badly written it only two gpus and like 16 threads.

That system was built for offline GPU renderers like Octane, which scale almost perfectly with as many GPUs you can throw at them

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cygni posted:

Blowers nearly always work (if never great), which is why they were the were go to for reference desigs for a long time. They are the 'best' option in only a few types of scenarios... trash prebuilts like you mentioned (believe it or not, there are still some prebuilts out there that use the PSU fan sucking air out of the case as the only case fan in the system), and various workstation/server/multigpu setups where open coolers would choke their neighbor cards. If you are in a situation where the GPU will have a slot or two of space and you can put even a single case fan in, open coolers will probably be better.

I've got a SFF Case that suffers from high fan speeds due it well being a SFF Case. What's the absolute best blower or does it matter?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
All blowers are pretty similar I think? Don't get a blower Radeon RX 5700 (XT) :lol:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

orcane posted:

The fan noise of mine (the Asus Strix variant) is minimal too, it just runs a bit warmer :shrug:

No pump noise either.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

An article in 2018 about noise suppression and Krisp:

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/nvidia-real-time-noise-suppression-deep-learning/

Krisp wants to charge a monthly fee, presumably as they improve the network training.

So I guess this is just nVidia being interested as Krisp making a lot of money. I originally thought nVidia had licensed from Krisp, but apparently it was Discord.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 26, 2020

ufarn
May 30, 2009
RTX Voice got announced like the same week Krisp got announced for Discord, that's a bit of a coincidence.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

ufarn posted:

RTX Voice got announced like the same week Krisp got announced for Discord, that's a bit of a coincidence.

RTX Voice is made by a small team and was moved up for release in a hurry because of the huge amount of audio conferencing going on right now. Good publicity. This is a good marketing move for Nvidia.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have never heard a quiet and cool stock GPU fan. I have tried a few times to splurge on some expensive setup but always ended up swapping the cooler due to horrible noise and bad performance. I suppose these things depend on the pc case, other parts and what level of cooling performance everyone is used to.

Only sad part is that Arctic raised twin turbo's price when they added that useless aluminium cooling ackplate. I mean I guess it helps but it never fits between my gpu board and cpu cooler.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I had absolutely no idea until this page that it was possible to replace gpu coolers that are not watercooling. Do you just replace it with different air coolers? Is it fairly simple to do if you're not doing watercooling? I did it once with watercooling and immediately wrecked my PC.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The most harrowing part is the little heat sinks you gotta glue on to some parts of the card (ram chips, vrm maybe?). Otherwise it’s not bad.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I used to use acellero coolers for GPUs, but the last few generations have had quiet and high performing coolers and I haven't bothered replacing them. Maybe the stock coolers are worse on other vendors, or maybe MSI just goes overboard with cooling.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

redreader posted:

I had absolutely no idea until this page that it was possible to replace gpu coolers that are not watercooling. Do you just replace it with different air coolers? Is it fairly simple to do if you're not doing watercooling? I did it once with watercooling and immediately wrecked my PC.

It's the same basic process whether it be water cooling or air: remove the old cooler (often the hardest part). Clean off all the old thermal paste gunk real well. Put some new paste on it. Mount the new heatsink, which can vary in complexity: most have some sort of retaining backplate that you slot through the mounting holes and screw the actual heatsink onto, which itself isn't hard. But some, like the Accelero Xtreme IV, also have a backplate heatsink that needs you to deal with thermal pads and cutting holes in a plastic sheet. Others don't. Honestly the biggest difference between mounting water-cooled vs air-cooled is that with air-cooled you don't have to deal with trying to mate the AIO pump to whatever retaining mechanism (G10/12, etc). The purpose-built ones like the EVGA Hybrid kit also skip out on that mating step, but are less flexible in terms of portability to other cards. Otherwise the process is largely the same.

How did you manage to wreck your PC? Leak?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Guh, I really want to upgrade my 970 to a 2070 to go with my new PC but the prices are ridiculous and stock appears to be nearly non-existent.

Guess I'll hobble along with this 970 until something changes.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
if I create a custom profile for fan speed in MSI Afterburner (the gigabyte 2070 I have the fans do the pulse and rattle thing at low speeds, I'll just leave it at 35% or whatever until it gets hot) do I have to restart the application / have it running at all times? or does it preserve the settings in the BIOS?

further I guess will this substantially reduce the life span of my cooler to just have the fans running all the time?

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 26, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Riflen posted:

RTX Voice is made by a small team and was moved up for release in a hurry because of the huge amount of audio conferencing going on right now. Good publicity. This is a good marketing move for Nvidia.

It’s going to get GPUs put in soooo many office computers that would have otherwise just used an iGPU. I would have given a pinky to have that running on my PC when I worked in Manhattan.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

further I guess will this substantially reduce the life span of my cooler to just have the fans running all the time?

Nope, not really.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

Nope, not really.

Yeah. Like with many things, repeated stops and starts are generally considered to be harsher than just constant state running. Kinda like city vs highway driving.

eames
May 9, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s going to get GPUs put in soooo many office computers that would have otherwise just used an iGPU. I would have given a pinky to have that running on my PC when I worked in Manhattan.

Hm, I wonder if RTX Voice could also be used to filter incoming calls. How long does it take for the software to „learn“ your voice? Could that be done during the first few minutes or seconds of a call? I’m also curious if we’ll see similar technology in future phones, of course with dedicated silicon for power efficiency.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If your PC is on 24/7 running the fan all the time Will reduce the lifespan, but most fans are capable of outliving a GPUs usefulness so that might not be a big deal. Still, if the PC is always on I'd still let it idle.

If it's a PC that gets turned off when not in use then it's fine.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Lockback posted:

If your PC is on 24/7 running the fan all the time Will reduce the lifespan, but most fans are capable of outliving a GPUs usefulness so that might not be a big deal. Still, if the PC is always on I'd still let it idle.

If it's a PC that gets turned off when not in use then it's fine.

OK. yeah I figured and also yes this PC goes to sleep at night so all good

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

eames posted:

Hm, I wonder if RTX Voice could also be used to filter incoming calls. How long does it take for the software to „learn“ your voice? Could that be done during the first few minutes or seconds of a call? I’m also curious if we’ll see similar technology in future phones, of course with dedicated silicon for power efficiency.

There's an output filter you can turn on too, I haven't messed with it though.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Vasler posted:

Guh, I really want to upgrade my 970 to a 2070 to go with my new PC but the prices are ridiculous and stock appears to be nearly non-existent.

Guess I'll hobble along with this 970 until something changes.

Used 1070s are floating around for $200-220. A genuine upgrade and gets you that all that VRAM...

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Seamonster posted:

Used 1070s are floating around for $200-220. A genuine upgrade and gets you that all that VRAM...
That doesn't sound like an amazing deal, but I guess people aren't looking to flip anything until the announcement in August or whatever.

I think I got my own 1070 for less (by European standards) right after Turing was announced.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

DrDork posted:

It's the same basic process whether it be water cooling or air: remove the old cooler (often the hardest part). Clean off all the old thermal paste gunk real well. Put some new paste on it. Mount the new heatsink, which can vary in complexity: most have some sort of retaining backplate that you slot through the mounting holes and screw the actual heatsink onto, which itself isn't hard. But some, like the Accelero Xtreme IV, also have a backplate heatsink that needs you to deal with thermal pads and cutting holes in a plastic sheet. Others don't. Honestly the biggest difference between mounting water-cooled vs air-cooled is that with air-cooled you don't have to deal with trying to mate the AIO pump to whatever retaining mechanism (G10/12, etc). The purpose-built ones like the EVGA Hybrid kit also skip out on that mating step, but are less flexible in terms of portability to other cards. Otherwise the process is largely the same.

How did you manage to wreck your PC? Leak?

I had dual radeon 4950's or something like that, and the water was only for them, not the CPU. I used worm drive rings for every single other connection but between the GFX cards I had to use some kind of all-metal connector because that's just how it worked. They were a bit further apart than I wanted (the connector was adjustable and I was dumb) and I just pressed them together a bit. A bunch of water ran out of that connecter, the one weak point in my build, and went onto my motherboard. I'd done it because the computer was end of life anyway, so whatever. I got a new everything. Those cards were so loving loud. I learned later when I only had one that the performance in all games was pretty much identical anyway, to having 2 in crossfire. Lol.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Fun fact, it takes a lot more energy to start a fan than to keep it running, that's why typical room fan settings go from 'off > 3 > 2 > 1', otherwise going from off to 1 won't do anything since it doesn't have the power to do so

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Ah, so a custom (if small) water loop. Gotcha. Yeah, that's considerably more work than slapping a G10/12 + AIO water-cooler on a card. Also considerably more expensive. Glad it didn't ruin much you really cared about!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Just be sure the mfg claims compatibility with your card. I had to make new screw holes for my Arctic's mounting plate and saw a piece off because it wanted to share space with some surface component.

After my 7800GT died to dust I decided I will only buy coolers with loosely spaced fins. Like hr-02 macho for cpu and twin turbo for gpu. I also moved on to positive pressure cooling, only intake fans in my case.

I suppose I could try one last time to buy some brand name gpu like MSI or Asus for lots of extra money. Reviews always claim how good their coolers are, how efficient, how quiet.. yeah.

I will never understand how this dinky cheap looking boi has always soundly beaten everything that has come with the stock gpu. One of my Radeons even started to make artifacts with low temps in Windows so I had to block the airflow partly to make it run hotter!!

I think one reason is that GPU makers are still not making big enough cooling solutions. My CPU''s have had absolutely massive heatsinks forever. Why make tiny GPU coolers? Most people don't even have a sound card anymore. SLI is dead. No one uses 10gig cards etc. That Arctic takes maybe 3 slots and is a lot wider too than the graphics card. It is very large in every direction so the case fans can easily dissipate heat all around it. Stock coolers always look like GPU coffins..

Sorry about the rant :bahgawd:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 27, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Didn't Linus put a D15 on a GPU in a recent-ish vid and got amazing thermals? I swear I've seen that.

Anyways I'll echo that custom cooling a GPU is extremely easy. When I did my G12/H55 combo most of the time was psyching myself up because I was terrified to modify a multiple hundred dollar part. And honestly once I made the jump to a full loop slapping a GPU block on was hilariously easy. Put some thermal paste on and start screwing. No lining up the bracket or messing with the G12's little fan.

I keep trying to get my friend to do a loop but she thinks it'll be too difficult. I mean if I can do it successfully I'm sure anyone can :shobon:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Strapping 120mm fans to a gpu is fun and all, but replacing the cooler shouldn't be a neccesity in a decently ventilated case.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ihmemies posted:

Just be sure the mfg claims compatibility with your card.

Morpheus 2 is.. problematic.. with non ref Nvidia cards that have components on the backside of the PCB, behind the GPU.

I wish they'd update it to support more cards.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 27, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Arzachel posted:

Strapping 120mm fans to a gpu is fun and all, but replacing the cooler shouldn't be a neccesity in a decently ventilated case.

It's not. With very few exceptions, any card you buy today will run just fine with the stock cooler. However, that doesn't mean that it'll run quietly, which is what most of these replacements are really chasing. Even in a well ventilated case, an iffy cooler can make quite a racket. That was the prime drive for me to go to a AIO loop on my 1080Ti, and I couldn't be happier; the lower temps are just a benefit, since they haven't really let me bump the OC up enough to make any real difference in actual performance.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

A lot of that is just down to the fans. Most of the aftermarket options (aios included) allow you to use really good 120mm/140mm fans with decent airflow and static pressure at 800-1200rpm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

There's this at least from Linus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3YnpwAAHhM

Heh, I'll have to consider that next. Just have to fit the bracket to the gpu at proper height with some shims so that the cooler doesn't crush the die or sit too high. It has to be just right.

I wish some tower cooler manufacturers sold GPU brackets with proper height shims so I could just screw it into the place. Maybe some extra bracket to mount to pci slot 6 or so to support the construction. Pity not enough people would buy something like that.

Now days gpu coolers aren't exactly light weight. I think one card had stated weight of 1,5kg...

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6hvsqUEtZ4

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 27, 2020