Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"Fring has a frong up his frang."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Season 6 should have a Walt cameo, but it's just him at the car wash washing Saul's car, and that's it.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Season 6 should have a Walt cameo, but it's just him at the car wash washing Saul's car, and that's it.

walt jr but there is no attempt made to hide that the actor is like 30

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Walt was weird in that Pinkman movie. That whole deal was strange, in fact. Did that chop shop duel scene make any kind of sense?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Also gently caress you Brock mom, Vampire girl was his dream wife and you never meant poo poo

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I think I'd prefer the extent of a Walt cameo being a flashback or Saul seeing his death on the news, having them run into each other while they're both in hiding is small world fan wank.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

oh but seriously I posted:

Walt was weird in that Pinkman movie. That whole deal was strange, in fact. Did that chop shop duel scene make any kind of sense?

Vince needs to direct a straight up Western, just so it's finally out of his system.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Also gently caress you Brock mom, Vampire girl was his dream wife and you never meant poo poo

yeah that poo poo was weird to me. especially with how brutal the show was to andrea in the end. the movie definitely wasn't great, thankfully Saul is leagues beyond it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Andrea was better for Jesse. :colbert:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

absolutely 1000%

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

lurker2006 posted:

I think I'd prefer the extent of a Walt cameo being a flashback or Saul seeing his death on the news, having them run into each other while they're both in hiding is small world fan wank.

That's why it should be something insignificant. Like having somebody getting their car washed before he was a drug dealer. Like here's Walt just being the good guy Walt.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The death of the Esteem coincident with Saul fully embracing "friend of the cartel" and getting a gigantic payday suggest that we're gonna see LWYRUP early next season. I'm into it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Javid posted:

The death of the Esteem coincident with Saul fully embracing "friend of the cartel" and getting a gigantic payday suggest that we're gonna see LWYRUP early next season. I'm into it.
I'm guessing he will start the season with the new car or by getting it, since now neither he or Kim have a car

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

*Brian Cranston in an obvious bald cap walking down a hallway for 30 seconds.*

Ooohhh badass!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jesse needed money, had to keep a low profile, and that dude was high as gently caress.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also he didn't play to his own strengths, Jimmy is better at hand-to-hand than gunfighting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbPL50v77a8

God I miss The Mick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Last Chance posted:

There was one scene where Hank and Walt Jr went to Pollos Hermanos and when Gus stopped by their table and they discussed having Walt Jr work there as a summer job. I thought briefly that they might actually go down that road in the story and it would have probably been very cheesy but also very entertaining.

"My dad is being a real dick"

"Yes, his behavior is... unacceptable"

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Last Chance posted:

There was one scene where Hank and Walt Jr went to Pollos Hermanos and when Gus stopped by their table and they discussed having Walt Jr work there as a summer job. I thought briefly that they might actually go down that road in the story and it would have probably been very cheesy but also very entertaining.

I actually think this is a bit of a missed opportunity, at least on paper. Walt jr. didn't have all that much to do on the show, typically, and I think it would basically been the fudge on the season 4 sundae if while Walt was worrying about Gus killing him and his family, his son was heading off to Pollos to work 3-5 times a week. At a minimum it's a nice bit of little inter-family drama if Jr. is working there in season 3, then Walt insists he quit the job in season 4, or he gets Skyler to do it so he can remain the "cool dad" which is some extra stress on that already incredibly strained marriage.

It's also another way to show how the initial relationship between Gus and Walt seems like it would be super professional and business-like and an important employee having his kid work at his boss' company is some pretty standard business stuff. After how crazy his drug life had been to that point, I can see Walt really enjoying the idea of dropping off his kid at Pollos, heading to the lab to cook, then picking Jr. up after, and Gus would love this idea for very obvious reasons, both before and after that professional relationship sours.

I haven't been able to think of many places where Breaking Bad's story could've been improved, but this seems like a clear frontrunner for how it could've been spiced up just that little extra bit without really straining the characters involved or the story as a whole.

It makes me curious what little potential missed opportunities BCS might have once it's all said and done. Does anyone have ideas on that front based on Better Call Saul so far?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There's kinda the whole thing where BCS started out as more of a comedy and slowly introduced more and more elements of Breaking Bad.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Saul is the comic relief in Breaking Bad: Episode I at this point. I'm enjoying that show, though!

I always thought the car wash and fake gambling strategy were incredibly dumb when Madrigal exists as a plot device. Give Walt a job with a nice title and now you're laundering $6digits + generous health insurance coverage, instead of having to awkwardly bluff about a fake gambling strategy while pretending to subsist on the leavings of a mediocre car wash. It gives him way more to lose, which he inevitably does, because he's an rear end in a top hat.

I dunno about "missed" but that timeline is feasible and interests ME at least

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Javid posted:

Saul is the comic relief in Breaking Bad: Episode I at this point. I'm enjoying that show, though!

I always thought the car wash and fake gambling strategy were incredibly dumb when Madrigal exists as a plot device. Give Walt a job with a nice title and now you're laundering $6digits + generous health insurance coverage, instead of having to awkwardly bluff about a fake gambling strategy while pretending to subsist on the leavings of a mediocre car wash. It gives him way more to lose, which he inevitably does, because he's an rear end in a top hat.

At least thus far. Saul has no knowledge of Gus OR of Madrigal. And thus Saul is unable to get Walk the hookup with them. It might be possible for Gus to have done it for Walt, but it seems there was never a lot of trust there for that...

Although that's probably a big hole that season 6 needs to fill, how Saul gets involved with laundering money for clients. Or maybe it's Kim doing it with her banking knowledge.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

poo poo that's right, I totally didn't put together that Kim could be super good at laundering money with her banking law knowledge. That actually leads to a point in the "Kim's not around in BB" column, since Saul's ideas were pretty much money laundering 101 and not anything fancy, the fake website donations was as fancy as it got and that was a pure Saul idea in the room with Walt.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

NowonSA posted:

poo poo that's right, I totally didn't put together that Kim could be super good at laundering money with her banking law knowledge. That actually leads to a point in the "Kim's not around in BB" column, since Saul's ideas were pretty much money laundering 101 and not anything fancy, the fake website donations was as fancy as it got and that was a pure Saul idea in the room with Walt.

He already made the mistake of letting her get involved with crime once and they both almost got murdered by Lalo. I doubt he's going to bring her in on Walt's crimes.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

He already made the mistake of letting her get involved with crime once and they both almost got murdered by Lalo. I doubt he's going to bring her in on Walt's crimes.

I don't think Saul would, but Madrigal might, without him even knowing

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Considering that they gave the bell a backstory what are the odds that Beneke Fabricators makes an appearance as one of the early attempts at money laundering, and them backing out after finding Ted untrustworthy puts him in the position of cooking the books the avoid losing his family business.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sleeveless posted:

Considering that they gave the bell a backstory what are the odds that Beneke Fabricators makes an appearance as one of the early attempts at money laundering, and them backing out after finding Ted untrustworthy puts him in the position of cooking the books the avoid losing his family business.
The actual missing story is Saul's friendship with Danny.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Peanut Butler posted:

walt jr but there is no attempt made to hide that the actor is like 30

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's kinda the whole thing where BCS started out as more of a comedy and slowly introduced more and more elements of Breaking Bad.

Tuco guest stars in the first 2 episodes :stare: Unless you mean elements of BB in terms of tense drama and character study, in which case then yeah.

Sleeveless posted:

Pulling in actual BB cast for anything more than cameos a la Hank and Gomey is almost doomed for failure. Even Cranston was only in El Camino for a single 2 minute flashback and even that was a little sketchy. I have to imagine the writers know this and will avoid it unless it really works.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I honestly don’t remember either enough to make a judgement.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

lmao, fantastic

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Javid posted:

I'm rewatching BB, and the gambling story and car wash happen after the box cutter incident. So Walt is thoroughly on the outs with Gus.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, squat cobbler seems so long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MkuHwpVA64

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

One thing I've noticed while watching the show is that Jimmy and Kim are probably less thrifty spenders together than they are individually because they think that it's making the other one happier than it's really making them, though that's mostly just been fantasizing about the future and in the last episode Kim shut down the "let's buy a $1 million house" suggestion fast

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I wouldn't say that AMC has marketed the hell out of BCS or anything, but both the network and the BCS crew have really put out a steady stream of youtube stuff that ties into the show and while I don't think it's necessarily turned people into viewers who weren't already, at least not at a particularly high rate, it's always been fun to see.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

oh jay posted:

Vince needs to direct a straight up Western, just so it's finally out of his system.

It would absolutely end up being another Django with way less racism involved. (probably less racism anyhow)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Not getting nearly enough love. Did you do this??

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

oh jay posted:

He certainly be getting offers to create and direct any show or movie he wants at this point, and I'm very interested in seeing what he does after everything breaking bad related is finished. A western with some of those breaking bad camera/dialogue flourishes and with the same crew sounds really good on paper, and I wouldn't put it past Gilligan to come up with some kind of crazy basic story hook in the pilot that's on par with "Teacher starts cooking meth". That's also a genre that feels like it's due for a story shakeup that isn't about the standard cowboys, robbers, and sheriffs dynamic. They're so intrinsic to the genre I don't think you'd ever remove them entirely, but I think there could be a fun angle there that just hasn't quite been explored yet.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What do you guys think will be the 'something unforgiveable' that Kim & Jimmy are going to do to Howard? At this point that pretty much has to involve Chuck, in my mind. Either something surrounding his death or fraud big enough to warrant Howard's disbarment, possibly involving Mesa Verde.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

u brexit ukip it posted:

What do you guys think will be the 'something unforgiveable' that Kim & Jimmy are going to do to Howard? At this point that pretty much has to involve Chuck, in my mind. Either something surrounding his death or fraud big enough to warrant Howard's disbarment, possibly involving Mesa Verde.

I had a wild thought that they may try to build on the prostitution thing that already had witnesses at the restaurant and do something like frame him for soliciting minors or something

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Maybe they dig for info that they can build something ridiculous off of and then it turns out that Howard IS hiding something terrible and maybe they use it intentionally maybe it comes out unintentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Whatever happens with Howard, it seems very unlikely to connect with the cartel plot. For the first few seasons yeah I guess I can stomach the two plots being only tangentially related but in the final season it's a little weird.